PDA

View Full Version : Pit of Shades

Dragon of the Pants
23-12-2006, 08:54
Okay, I had a game and I lost because my lord fell in to a pit of shades. The problem with this is that he was on a dragon. The dragon passed his test. Did we play it right in killing the lord anyway?

Also, random question, Hellcannon is immune to poison, right?

Mephistofeles
23-12-2006, 09:45
*Edit* Wrong answer.

Festus
23-12-2006, 09:49
Hi

Okay, I had a game and I lost because my lord fell in to a pit of shades. The problem with this is that he was on a dragon. The dragon passed his test. Did we play it right in killing the lord anyway?
No, you didn't do it right: Pit of Shades wants an I test by a model. A model rolls only once. A Dragon with a Lord (or vice versa ;) ) is just one model.

You use the highest available I-value of the model's components (depending on the Army it is the Dragon with 6 or the Lord with 7), and roll against that. Now a 6 always fails, but otherwise you are safe with such an high I.

Bottom line:
Either both go or none, as they are just one model.

Greetings
festus

2ndCompanyVeterans
23-12-2006, 10:57
Thats right the FAQ says that on combined models when you make a stat test you use the one most likely to make the whole model pass.

Mephistofeles
23-12-2006, 11:21
Oh, sorry for giving you the wrong answer there, just ignore my post...

Dragon of the Pants
23-12-2006, 15:59
Well then. I so would have won that game. Actually I should have anyway, since he already did shooting, but I decided to be the nice guy and let him do magic even though he didn't let me do shooting after I did combat one turn. >< (Hellcannon forgot to shoot)

Makaber
23-12-2006, 17:10
But then again, I'd say shooting after combat is a bit more severe then a magic/shooting slipup.

Mephistofeles
23-12-2006, 18:04
So you made the roll for the dragon first, and then the generals roll, which would have meant that if the first roll was your only roll, both would have made it? That sucks...

EvC
23-12-2006, 18:05
Well then. I so would have won that game. Actually I should have anyway, since he already did shooting, but I decided to be the nice guy and let him do magic even though he didn't let me do shooting after I did combat one turn. >< (Hellcannon forgot to shoot)

As Mephistoles say, if that's how you played it, it's unfortunate, but it was only really cleared up in the just-released FAQ, so don't feel too bad about it.

Dragon of the Pants
24-12-2006, 03:00
Oh well. It was just a test game I'll make sure I know what I'm doing for the actual tournament.

Mephistofeles
24-12-2006, 12:15
Well, you seem to know what you're doing, you just had a lot of missfortune...although I would never take a big character on a big monster, 'cause as you saw, it might die in horrible and unfortunate ways very quickly...and then you've lost like 600 points in one bad stroke.

Revlid
24-12-2006, 12:36
Wait, a Hellcannon and a Lord on Dragon in the same army?
I hope to god this was more than 2000 points...

Does it seem a bit odd to anyone else, a flying creature falling into a bottomless pit? Or the Lord not jumping off onto the sides as he realises his Dragon is too stupid to fly?

Mephistofeles
24-12-2006, 12:53
Of course it's stupid, but a lot of things in this game is, for example:

Warmachine Crewmembers not being able to volountairly (wtf spelling?) leave their machines to escape nastiness or to charge something.

Creatures with "body-saves" (Scaly Skin and the like) to be hurt by Lore of Metal "armour-melting" spells.

The Howler Wind not affecting repeater/reaper bolt throwers, but crossbows, even though they have the same strenght and basically fire the same projectiles...

That the Greater Daemon of Tzeentch (Lord of magic, changer of ways) can roll a misscast, while that mumified toad can't...

The list goes on...

EvC
24-12-2006, 15:05
It's not just a hole in the ground, it's all manner of unspeakable horrors trying to drag anyone in the vicinity down to Hell with them. I could actually almost imagine it happening the way the first post describes it, with the shades pulling on the dragon, who manages to shake them off... but his rider gets shaken off as well!

Dragon of the Pants
24-12-2006, 17:03
It was 3000.