PDA

View Full Version : My favourite 2k Chaos (undivided mortals) list

Lord Steven
23-12-2006, 20:37
Looking for some comments, or even posts from other chaos generals about their most fun to play army.

Chaos Lord, Halbard, Enchanted Shield, Gaze of the Gods riding a daemonic mount (306 points)

26 Marauders, LA, Shield with full command (207 points)

Bray-Shaman, Level 2, Bray Staff, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Beasts (141 points)

Bray-Shaman, Level 2, Bray Staff, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Death (141 points)

Beast Herd, 5 Gors with 2 hand weapens, 14 ungors, full command (206 points)

12 Marauders, LA, Shield, Great Weapon, Musician (113 points)

2 Chaos Chariots (240 points)

2 x 5 Marauder Horsemen, Flails, Musician (162 points)

5 Flesh Hounds of Khorne (80 points)

2 x 5 Warhounds (60 points)

8 Chaos Furies (120 points)

Hellcannon, Spell Breaker (295 points)

Total - 1998 points

6 Casting Dice, 4 Dispel dice (+3 Scrolls), 105 models

Brief tactics -

Hellcannon goes on one flank well away from the rest of the army, preferably on a hill. I tend to stick either a unit of Warhounds or a unit of Marauder horsemen nearby so they can bait the hellcannon if it is made to rampage.

Shoot it at monsters with lots of wounds or aim for units with low leadership. Best just to guess the distance away as closely as you can as you get a reroll of the scatter dice (and a high chance of getting a hit).

The large block of Marauder infantry are joined by the Lord and tend to go up the middle of the table.

The beast herd protects the two Bray-Shamans. It's a good idea to keep this unit within 12 inches of the general incase of panic tests from shooting.

The two chariots should protect the Lords' unit flank.

The unit of 12 marauders with great weapens is best used as a detachment of the Lords unit. Again, try to keep these within 12 inches of the general as you move up the field.

I tend to go with Beasts and Death on the Shamans because the 1st spell is always useful. Bears Anger makes the herd quite potent (7 str5, 3 str4, 2 str3 when ranked up 5 wide.. good considering 2 ranks, banner, maybe outnumber).

The Furies and Fleshhounds can be used for many different things. Depending upon how the game's going. I tend to use the Fleshhounds as medium cavalry supporting the large blocks of infantry. The furies are good at autobreaking warmachines. However, with 2 units of fast cav, a unit of Furies, and some daemonic cavalry something is always going to kill those annoying cannons/bolt throwers.

I think everyone knows the job of the Warhounds - they're sent in to set off fanatic traps, block line of site from organ guns and generally just to bend over and take it :eek:

Inkosi
24-12-2006, 04:09
On the whole fairly ok.

So i just point out some stuff.

1. Lack of a heavy hitter. You do not have any units that are potential game winners so alot of depend on your tactical aspect. Which also means you have nothing to counter heavy hitters on the other side.

2. Dont see the need for 2 bray shamans, LoB is useful but a lvl 2 is hardly able to get off the good spells of LoD so might as well drop it and increase the size of your beast herd. 20 is a tad too small if you ask me.

3. Flesh hounds though decent but are frenzied. A competant player might use it to bait the hounds and block your own units. But if you can handle them well then its fine. Just that i prefer marauder horsemen.

Rest of the army is fine as it is.

Ethernal
24-12-2006, 09:43
I miss the unit whit chaos Knights.
Great AS and hard hitting
And most people are a bitt frightend of them(whit good reason)
They have always been to great help for me in my battles.

Lord Steven
24-12-2006, 10:44
Knights would be a good addition as a flanking force, I agree. And I have 30 of them sitting in a box upstairs along with a dragon. Unfortunately I become emotionally attached to them. It breaks my heart when a lore of metal spell or a few bolt throwers decide to pick them off and my once beautiful unit of 5 chosen knights become 2 little models.

I've had a few games where the Flesh Hounds have been baited around by things like wolf riders. It's quite enjoyable :)

The magic works out quite well. Two Shamans mean you have 4 dispel dice and access to 2 spells per combat phase that are likely to go off using 3 dice for each. I tend to only cast Bears Anger when I know the herd will get into combat in the next turn, or is already in combat.

You can get the first spell of Death off quite easily with 3 dice (it casts on a 5+). If you get Wind of Death thats even better (casts on an 8+). Walking Death (makes a nearby unit cause fear) is great when you have no line of sight and a 9+ cast on 3 dice isn't impossible.

I'll admit, the last spell in Death is quite nice. But with a 10+ cast I'll usually always swap this for a 1. In the last 3 or 4 games I rolled 1 and 6 for magic and managed to get an irresistable off with it - poor dwarves! :D

I'd love to be able to get some mounted daemonettes in the list somehow without breaking the balance. I think it would probably mean dropping some marauder horsemen and the flesh hounds which imo isn't worth it.