PDA

View Full Version : Newb Lizardman lists, advice needed

Napoleon Blownapart
23-12-2006, 21:42
I've decided to follow through with my lizardmen, and I'd like comments on my 2 lists at 1000 and 2000
1000pts
"Nike" Scar Vet- Jaguar token, sheild, light armor(not sure what to do with him, suggestions needed)-109pts

lvl2 priest- bane head-115pts

15 saurus, full command- 210 pts

15 saurus, full command-210 pts

30 skinks in groups of ten (not sure if I should use any javelins or not)-180pts

3 kroxigors-174 pts

998pts total

2000pts list

Old Blood- cold one, blessing of itzl, light armor, revered blade of Tzunki, maiming shield, blessing of Tzunki - 290 pts Joins Cold one riders

Scar Vet- Bane head, light armor, shield- 104 pts

lvl 2 skink priest- 2 dispel scrolls-150pts

lvl 2 skink priest- Cube of Darkness-140pts

20 saurus- full command- 270pts

20 saurus-full command-270pts

10 skinks(unsure of armament)- 60pts

10 skinks(unsure of armament) with scouting rules-70pts

7 cold one calvary, full command, Huanchi Banner- 335pts

3 kroxigors- 174pts

1998pts total

Advice well aprediated, thanks in advance!

Juhaaha
23-12-2006, 21:59
I've decided to follow through with my lizardmen, and I'd like comments on my 2 lists at 1000 and 2000
1000pts
"Nike" Scar Vet- Jaguar token, sheild, light armor(not sure what to do with him, suggestions needed)-109pts
give him Aura of Quetzl. I am not sure if you need jaguar saurus in such small game.

30 skinks in groups of ten (not sure if I should use any javelins or not)-180pts
take one of each. maybe two blowpipe units
3 kroxigors-174 pts

998pts total

2000pts list

Old Blood- cold one, blessing of itzl, light armor, revered blade of Tzunki, maiming shield, blessing of Tzunki 290 pts Join- s Cold one riders
Needs some ward. aura of quetzl or glyph neclace
Gw for him

take Bs of Quetzl for one of these saurus units or both of them

too big. take 5 of these, cause you have oldblood already in this unit
3 kroxigors- 174pts
take 4th.
1998pts total

Advice well aprediated, thanks in advance!

looks very good for beginner.

Napoleon Blownapart
23-12-2006, 22:08
Where should I put my scar vet in those lists? if he's not a nike.

Jonahmaul
24-12-2006, 08:39
If your taking the Jaguar Charm I would take a great weapon as your most likely going to be charging & strength 7 is going to make a mess of most things (plus it means you can destroy chariots automatically). Is pretty essential to hide characters in units now so put him in with a unit of saurus until he's ready to charge (don't forget that he can declare a charge but the unit doesnt have to, he just charges out & leaves them standing where they are).

ReveredChaplainDrake
25-12-2006, 00:23
1000pts

As a Scar-vet, a Great Weapon is the way to go. Also reccomendable are some Sacred Spawnings. Quetzl is a cheap one for characters, and it ups your save, but as a single model (particularly one with an 18" march / charge), he's very easy to hide when you get better, so he hardly gets touched anyway. Tepok is a bit of a pricey one, but it all depends on how much that extra Dispel Dice means to you. Sotek is the usual spawning of choice on JSoD Scar-vets, as it gives you an extra Great Weapon attack on the charge, which will defenitely make itself known unless your luck is terrible. Also, if you're familiar with 40k, Sotek makes the JSoD feel a little more homely.

When you get to an Oldblood, swap the Great Weapon for a Revered Blade of Tzunki. The cost jump is enormous, and you do lose a little strength admittedly, but the heavy cavalry you will cleave through in the exchange is tremendous.

It's almost impossible to kill anything with a Skink Priest. Characters tend to hide in or behind units, so targeting them with your only lore (heavens) is pretty much futile. Making Bane Head particularly bad on a Priest.

What is good on a Priest is a pair of Dispel Scrolls, or better yet the Cube of Darkness and the Spawning of the Old Ones. With the Mark of the Old Ones, you're guaranteed at least one re-roll (as many as 3, but 1 is all you need) and that one re-roll should be used when you first use the Cube of Darkness, effectively giving you two chances to close down the opponent's magic phase. However, doing this makes a Skink Priest pricey enough. I keep mine at Lv1 and let the Saurus do the real muscle work.

I'd never go with a Saurus Block under 20, but that extra rank bonus means an extra free point of Combat Res just for showing up to the party, and as Saurus are generally always outnumbered, this is always encouraged. You might be able to get away with this in small games, but just know that you'll be sacrificing that third rank bonus and will likely get outnumbered by cheaper footblocks (which usually always come in 20 except for Chaos, Ogres and other Lizards), so make sure you follow up all your opponent's charges with flank charges of your own.

The Javelin-Blowpipe debate is an old one (no pun intended), even among long-time vets. Personally, I'd give the Blowpipes to the Scout Skinks, and the Javelins to the Skirmishers. Javelins are better on the move, which is just what screens will be doing, but Blowpipes on march inhibiting Skink Scouts can irritate any unsupported foot block by nailing a good 3-4 poisoned hits per turn statistically.

3 kroxigors-174 pts

Kroxigors are almost never a bad idea.

200pts list

Old Blood- cold one, blessing of itzl, light armor, revered blade of Tzunki, maiming shield, blessing of Tzunki - 290 pts Joins Cold one riders

That +2 to save may sound good on an Oldblood, but it's not all that. You're better off sticking to the JSoD Oldblood with the Revered Blade of Tzunki. JSoD's have 360-degree sight ranges and a longer movement. Oldbloods on Cold Ones have shorter movements, 1/4 the sight arc and have to take Stupidity tests. (And whatever you do, don't say "it'll never happen...")

You like Bane Head, I take it? Well don't expect him to do a whole lot, because all he has is a Hand Weapon. You need at least a Great Weapon if you want him to be any good. Personally, I like the Sword of Might + Enchanted Shield combo. Also, take a look at some spawnings. Particularly Tepok, seeing how your Priests are equipped.

Alternatively, you could give him the Army Battle Standard, a War Banner, and just throw him into a unit of Saurus, allowing them to re-roll their Cold-Blooded Ld8 tests and adding +1 to Combat Res for having a War Banner. Rock solid.

When it comes to defensive Skinks, 2x Lv2 Priests is just as effective at magic defense as 2x Lv1 Priests. When you only have 6 casting dice, you shouldn't really be counting on getting anything off successfully anyway, and the Lore of the Heavens' best spells are those that need huge numbers to get off.

Also, on the Cube of Darkness Skink Priest, give that one the Mark of the Old Ones so you get two shots at the Cube of Darkness.

Good. As you already have your cores filled out with Skinks, you could actually think about giving the Saurus some Sacred Spawnings. Quetzl is pretty much the best one for Saurus Warriors as it compliments their already rock-solid resilience to taking charges. Tlazcotl follows the same principle, only cheaper and more situational.

Blowpipes to Scouts and Javelins to Skirmishers.

7 is an odd number. Keep it at 5, as they're pricey enough. Don't worry too much about them taking casualties on the way. They should hit on about turn 2 anyway and even then they count as size 2 models each, so you only need 3 to negate ranks via flank charge, and only 1 to get the bonus for charging a flank.

3 kroxigors- 174pts

While still just as good as they were in 1000 pts, the larger the games you play, the more you might want to consider a Krox Ancient, or even more Krox. I don't personally, but others find a 10th str7 attack worth the upgrade cost.