PDA

View Full Version : Enginseers Chimera.

Pages : [1] 2

Rictus
24-12-2006, 00:01
Right, here goes. I am aiming to have a chimera to drive my Enginseers around in, but I don't want a standard chimera - or at least in looks, in game terms it will be just a regular chimera (though pimped out with extra armour, improved comms etc...). I have a very vague impression of what I want to do but I have tried to make a start on it a couple of times which resulted in absolutely bugger all being done. I am hoping by getting down on my knees and pleading for inspiration from the devotees of Warseer I may get somewhere.

This is a collection of pieces that I have gathered together out of my bits box (though it is only a small representation of the many other bits I have going spare and can be put to use):
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/parts.jpg

These include a chimera (naturally), some CoD bits, various weapons/turrets, servo arm or two. Some of the parts I would like to use is the admech symbol on the CoD panel (yellow circle) and the servitor (green rectangle) - the servitor would be 'built in' to the vehicle body in some way. Also instead of using the side panels (red) I am thinking of doing my own which cover the entire side of the track unit where 'things' can be built into it, hatches, possibly the servitor, tools, servo arms, spare parts, cooling vents....etc.

Body wise I am also thinking of the vehicle having elements of the Trojan. I have already built a Trojan so I am not too scared of rebuilding/constructing a new body for the vehicle but I am unsure how to include a turret in the design or what form it should take.

This is the Trojan I did:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Trojan/P5140026.jpg
(More pictures of it in my Imp Guard thread in the M, P&T General)

So I am currently asking for suggestions of what to do and what direction to take...for example...
1. Is the idea of using the Trojan as a basis a good idea? If not why not?
2. Should I go for some sort of crane or a servo arm - neither of which has an in game purpose?
3. Turret - Use a chimera one or an alternative & what weapon would best suit it?
4. What sort of details/stowage/equipment would look good and be apropriate?
5. Is this a good idea at all? Or should I just go with a regular chimera?
6. Erm...other things that I can't think of at the moment.

This is definately going to be a long term thing as most of my time is still going to be going into my Terrain Project Log but hopefully this will be picked up everytime I need a break from the buildings and when I'm waiting for stuff to dry.

All help, suggestions, ideas, c&c or donations of custard cream biscuits is highly appreciated.

That's by far the longest post I have ever made on here.

schoolcormorant
24-12-2006, 00:18
The only thing i would say is that with all the effort put in, have you thouught about exchanging the HB front for a newer one i.e. HW sprue?
i really like the trojan and it's an excellent idea using the CoD panel :)

SC

old guard
24-12-2006, 00:21
Crane !!!! HELL YEAH! you need to have a look at some recovery vehicles. Trawl (not Troll) the websites for pictorial refference. I very losely based mine on an FV434 (old British recovery vehicle)Love the idea of including the mechanicus head from the COD buildings.
a trojan base sounds good but it will need winches and 'dozer' blades for recovering bogged in vehicles below Russ size.

Go for it! I look forward to the results

Easy E
24-12-2006, 07:37
I think the Trojan is a good base. The chimera rules-wise only needs to be armed with one turret mounted weapon. If you stick with the hull mount that will still meet WYSIWYG standards.

A crane/Servo-arm is a must have item. This will give it the look of a real recovery vehicle as opposed to a blinged Chimera. You will want seals, litanies, and candles all over this thing to show the religuos nature of the Cult Mechanicus as opposed to just an engineering vehicle. As a mental concept mix the SoB Exorcist design with the Imp Guard Trojan/Atlas.

I love when people use CoD elements on their vehicles. Great custom work on your Trojan.

old guard
24-12-2006, 11:54
The land raider front on the picture has finally answered a problem that I have had as to how to do an 'Armoured Vehicle Imperial Engineers' with a nice big crane/excavator arm on the front, Hurrah!.....oh B****r, another one to add to the 'things to build' list.

Rich 123
24-12-2006, 12:48
I love projects like this, it could be really interesting and I also love the AdMech in armies and am brimming full of ideas for things like this. Especially after working on my biker Techmarine and his servitor bodyguard for my marines.

What I think is really important would be to break up the silhouette of the Chimera a good deal, to make it look more like a custom job. Great effort on the scratchbuilt Trojan, you clearly have the scratch-building know how to really go for it with this guy.

You could always use the top panel of the chimera but reverse it so the turret ring is at the back and use that as a good starting point for the crane pivot. Build up its height a little and use plasticard to recreate a flat front to it like the Trojan for a vision slit. Have you seen the FW Repressor (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Badger.htm)? I was considering making something like this beasts top plate for a chimera and the turret set into the top plate like that could look great at the front. Just make a new one from tubing. My initial thought was that twin linked HB would look cool, but is FW only.

So if you are worried about legality what about fitting a mulitlaser to the turret with a co-axial heavy bolter? Its not 100% WYSIWYG but is a very different format to the stock Chimera.

The top hatch could do with being altered I think, it could just be replaced with storage space for materials used in repairs, close to the crane of course and it makes sense.

Built in servitors? Hell yeah! This is the sort of savage butchery I love about the AdMech. This is one of the servitors to accompany my Bike Techmarine (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Bike%20Techmarine/) and is a counts as solution to an attack bike:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Servitors/SponsonWIP.jpg

Still WIP but he is built into the mini hull with sponson bolters (to represent the bikes TL bolters). Each hand will be riddled with wires and directly attached to the drive mechanism of it. He also has a servo arm laced into the muscles of his back. Although this would be too small and look odd on a Chimera sized mini of course! A servitor could be directly wired into the turret mechanism or the crane itself.

Or have you considered a short wheel base Chimera maybe? What about building a Land Raider style assault ramp into the front rather than the hatch at the back? I have loads of ideas for things like this as I think you can tell ;)

Good luck with this Ill be following it closely! Just ask if you'd like somethign clarifed or have any questions.
Dicky

Robot 2000
24-12-2006, 13:03
I always think that iD games have the right kind of feel for the ad mech. . . if your pc is up to it you should play Quake 4 for some awesome flesh/machinery integration ideas (not to mention fun)

_Si_
24-12-2006, 14:55
I was going to show mine incase it offered any inspiration, then realised you'd posted a reply to my thread at WIP anyway. Perhaps I should post it anyway since none of my stuff is currently up on warseer?

Love the trojan, I see you found an alternate crane to the one I used. Very nice detailing too.

I was really tempted to do something with a sort of repair bay in the back, so the crane could lift the vehicles for access and then the enginseer could work on it without leaving the relative safety of his chimera?

Look forward to the results anyway,
Si

Rictus
24-12-2006, 17:58
AAAAARGH! I've already typed all of this once only to have Warseet log me out and lose most of it....Take 2...

The only thing i would say is that with all the effort put in, have you thouught about exchanging the HB front for a newer one i.e. HW sprue?
i really like the trojan and it's an excellent idea using the CoD panel

SC
I have thought about changing the heavy bolters on my tanks...but I have more than a few and I can't face changing that many especially as it means buying alot of sprues just for the heavy bolters. I suppose I could just do it on this enginseers vehicle as I want it to be more of a 'custom/hand built' vehicle specially built for the Enginseer himself so it wouldn't be out of place if it had a different weapon to the others in my armies.

Crane !!!! HELL YEAH! you need to have a look at some recovery vehicles. Trawl (not Troll) the websites for pictorial refference. I very losely based mine on an FV434 (old British recovery vehicle)Love the idea of including the mechanicus head from the COD buildings.
a trojan base sounds good but it will need winches and 'dozer' blades for recovering bogged in vehicles below Russ size.

Go for it! I look forward to the results
The chimera will definately have a dozer blade and a winch of somekind. It seems the general consensus is to have a crane and who am I to go against popular opinion? I love the trailer you have on yours, I think I will have to do a couple (one for this vehicles and one for the Trojan).

I think the Trojan is a good base. The chimera rules-wise only needs to be armed with one turret mounted weapon. If you stick with the hull mount that will still meet WYSIWYG standards.

A crane/Servo-arm is a must have item. This will give it the look of a real recovery vehicle as opposed to a blinged Chimera. You will want seals, litanies, and candles all over this thing to show the religuos nature of the Cult Mechanicus as opposed to just an engineering vehicle. As a mental concept mix the SoB Exorcist design with the Imp Guard Trojan/Atlas.

I love when people use CoD elements on their vehicles. Great custom work on your Trojan.
I just checked the rules and you are right the chimera only actually has to have the one turret weapon. I may go for an autocannon though as I do like them. Details such as seals etc ae a good idea to show it isn't just a workhorse but also a mobile shrine to the Machine God.

The land raider front on the picture has finally answered a problem that I have had as to how to do an 'Armoured Vehicle Imperial Engineers' with a nice big crane/excavator arm on the front, Hurrah!.....oh B****r, another one to add to the 'things to build' list.
Glad to be of help! I share your pain, every other day I see something on here of WIP and find I have to add something else onto the 'to do' list.

I love projects like this, it could be really interesting and I also love the AdMech in armies and am brimming full of ideas for things like this. Especially after working on my biker Techmarine and his servitor bodyguard for my marines.

What I think is really important would be to break up the silhouette of the Chimera a good deal, to make it look more like a custom job. Great effort on the scratchbuilt Trojan, you clearly have the scratch-building know how to really go for it with this guy.

You could always use the top panel of the chimera but reverse it so the turret ring is at the back and use that as a good starting point for the crane pivot. Build up its height a little and use plasticard to recreate a flat front to it like the Trojan for a vision slit. Have you seen the FW Repressor (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Badger.htm)? I was considering making something like this beasts top plate for a chimera and the turret set into the top plate like that could look great at the front. Just make a new one from tubing. My initial thought was that twin linked HB would look cool, but is FW only.

So if you are worried about legality what about fitting a mulitlaser to the turret with a co-axial heavy bolter? Its not 100% WYSIWYG but is a very different format to the stock Chimera.

The top hatch could do with being altered I think, it could just be replaced with storage space for materials used in repairs, close to the crane of course and it makes sense.

Built in servitors? Hell yeah! This is the sort of savage butchery I love about the AdMech. This is one of the servitors to accompany my Bike Techmarine (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Bike%20Techmarine/) and is a counts as solution to an attack bike:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Servitors/SponsonWIP.jpg

Still WIP but he is built into the mini hull with sponson bolters (to represent the bikes TL bolters). Each hand will be riddled with wires and directly attached to the drive mechanism of it. He also has a servo arm laced into the muscles of his back. Although this would be too small and look odd on a Chimera sized mini of course! A servitor could be directly wired into the turret mechanism or the crane itself.

Or have you considered a short wheel base Chimera maybe? What about building a Land Raider style assault ramp into the front rather than the hatch at the back? I have loads of ideas for things like this as I think you can tell

Good luck with this Ill be following it closely! Just ask if you'd like somethign clarifed or have any questions.
Dicky
Wow, some really useful ideas. The servitor is great, my favourite bit is the sponsons which are just brilliant. I have looked at the Repressor kit and thought about using something like it before (on a cmnd vehicle). I will think about incorporating its hull and turret design on this one, it restricts the firing arcs but i'm not really bothered about that.

I always think that iD games have the right kind of feel for the ad mech. . . if your pc is up to it you should play Quake 4 for some awesome flesh/machinery integration ideas (not to mention fun)
Not a computer game person to be honest, any chance you could direct me to some screen shots?

I was going to show mine incase it offered any inspiration, then realised you'd posted a reply to my thread at WIP anyway. Perhaps I should post it anyway since none of my stuff is currently up on warseer?

Love the trojan, I see you found an alternate crane to the one I used. Very nice detailing too.

I was really tempted to do something with a sort of repair bay in the back, so the crane could lift the vehicles for access and then the enginseer could work on it without leaving the relative safety of his chimera?

Look forward to the results anyway,
Si
Nice to see you here, welcome to the world of Warseer! I remember your vehicle on WIP and I have been searching for a fitter kit on ebay since then for possibly using on this project. The Trojan was actually done some time ago so I had already sourced a crane and incorporated it into the Trojan before I saw your vehicle. I may bite the bullet and get a fitter kit from Netmerchants rather than wait for a cheap one to come up.

Right these are two very rough skecthes I knocked up. Getting hold of a diagram or pictures to use was a bit hard (i need a good scanner) but these show very rough plans of the rear and top of the vehicle:

Rear:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/enginseerrear2.jpg
The hull has been built up though the crane (in red) sits lower as this is a front line vehicle, the crane shouldn't stand proud like the Trojan. The rear hatch has been moved and an alcove for the servitor is on the other side. The rear panel will not be a hinged ramp - only access is the door.

Top:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/a_top.jpg
Turret is there just to show placement - it may be similar to the Repressor kit I don't know yet. CoD AdMech symbol at rear. Crane again in red. Some sort of grille or hatch up there as well.

From the side the built up hull will include vision slits. The side panel will be built out and cover the entire track unit and include stowage and equipment any 'other things' (suggestions more than welcome).

Anyway, let me know what you think and give me any suggestions you may have.

Voronwe[MQ]
25-12-2006, 16:59
Interesting to integrate the Adeptus Mechanicus emblem-decorated central-control device in the Manufactorum packs. I liike it!

Voronwe

Rictus
28-01-2007, 23:32
Ok, it's been awhile (a month in fact) but this hasn't died, it's just been hibernating. I am still in the planning stages really but I have done a bit o thinking and some purchasing:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/idffitter.jpg
All i have done with it so far is assemble the crane and one bit of stowage. I did the crane so I can take measurements etc and work out how to incorporate it into the design.

The main point of this post is to get feedback on a niggly issue but one that I can't make my mind up about. I want to build the side of the chimera out (see earlier posts above), This will mean all you will see from the side is styrene sheets (with lots of gubbins, hatches etc) not any original chimera bits - I am wondering what to do about these bits:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/chimeraside.jpg
I did look through my IA books but they don't actually call up what these bits are. I am guessing vents or something along those lines. My question is do I forget about them or cut them out of the chimera panel and incorporate them into the new side pieces? I want the vehicle to look so it is obviously a chimera, just a hand built customised job. As such little details like these pieces being incorporated into the new side pieces may help it achieve this aim. It'll jst be fiddly and will take away storage/other detail areas.

I may try and redo the pattern along the bottome of the side panel as well but that'll be a real sod to work.

Hoping for some feedback and many ideas.....

Too many jobs and not enough time is my problem.

schoolcormorant
29-01-2007, 00:01
well the engines are housed in the big blocky things you stick to the very outssides of the hull. which you have the eagle on in the pic.
i would guess they are readiators and pumps of some kind :)

SC

cpl_hicks
29-01-2007, 00:29
the red part is on the Gorgon as well and seemes to be some kind of exhaust vent

not to sure of the yellow part, but that again is on all of the imperial guard tracked craft

liamrob
29-01-2007, 03:22
Looking good. I want to customize my rhino when i put it together so i will use some of these ideas for it.

Keep up the hard work and i can't wait to see the ending results.

old guard
29-01-2007, 07:28
Yellow bit would be attached to the front wheel (drive sprocket on the front on a chimera?) as part of the suspension/track tensioner. As I under stand it the engines are within the track area so red would be the exhaust vent or part of the radiator, I hope the latter since if this puppy is supposed to be amphibious you really would not want to stall with the exhaust that far under water. I'll have a look at IA 1 and confirm later.

Voronwe[MQ]
29-01-2007, 09:28
The yellow bit could be a hydraulic/pneumatic pressure device.

Voronwe

jasevx
29-01-2007, 10:16
Exhausts can easily be diverted, however, the Chimera is amphibious, so unless GW cocked up on the design, it shouldn't matter, I'll be keeping a close eye on this, I've got something similar planned..

Rictus
29-01-2007, 23:03
Right, what I think I will do in try and incorporate both the red and yellow bits a bit like this...
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/3dchimeraside.jpg
The yellow bit will stay where it is and the built up new bit (the blue) will be shaped around it. The red area will be cut out and moved outwards as shown.

Still nto sure what they are as non of the IA books seem to call them up (all the annotated drawings are cutaways). But exhaust, ventilation type bits seems to be the concensus as the engines are housed in the track unit. I had never thought that the yellow bit could possibly be connected to the forward track wheel (thanks Old Guard). As Cpl_Hicks points out these bits are repeated on other vehicles so keeping them will help tie the vehicle into the Imperial range of vehicles.

Any feedback and suggestions more than welcome (and actively encouraged). I am not planning to go full bore on this as I really want to concentrate on finishing some terrain off but I want to drop into it regularly so any thoughts now will help me no end.

cpl_hicks
30-01-2007, 00:56
Exhausts can easily be diverted, however, the Chimera is amphibious, so unless GW cocked up on the design, it shouldn't matter

well the entire imperial guard vehicle range is totally flawed in several areas, which if the models where made true to life would move about 1 foot and then never work again

Rictus
13-02-2007, 22:23
Right, once again I am taking on my Enginseers Chimera. I did say it was going to be a slow burner and it has been 2-3 weeks since i last looked at it.

Yesterday evening and this evening I have done a quick mock up of the sort of hull I will be going for....pictures now, more talk later. Note I do not have the paper and card making skills of others out there so this is held together with pva glue, cellotape and blu-tac, it is likely to fall apart at any minute.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/engin1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/engin2.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/engin3.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/engin4.jpg

Some changes that will be going into mock up No. 2:
1. The crane will go further back (the hatched area will be removed)
2. Where the heavy bolters are the 'yellow' area will be removed lowering the weapon. It should make the profile a bit more interesting.
3. I am thinking of changing the door at the rear. Instead of using the small chimera door I am thinking of taking the drop down chimera door, making it thinner (and possibly) taller and having it mounted at the rear where the door currenlty is (see the inset on the last picture)

Something to note:
Instead of having a hull Heavy Bolter I will have mount it in the turret weapons system - so the two heavy bolters shown will actually be the hull weapon and hull weapon mounted together (that make sense?)

Any questions, comments or suggestions?

irfpio
13-02-2007, 22:32
That looks really good!

One suggestion!: Be very careful when cutting out the Adeptus mechanicus symbol from the COD piece, i did it for my Leviathan, and its a B.....

Cheers
Irfpio

Rictus
13-02-2007, 23:37
That looks really good!

One suggestion!: Be very careful when cutting out the Adeptus mechanicus symbol from the COD piece, i did it for my Leviathan, and its a B.....

Cheers
Irfpio

I had a feeling it might end up being a sod of a job to remove the AdMech symbol, should be worth it though. Thanks for the feedback.

Rictus
14-02-2007, 23:44
Double post, oh the shame!

Bit despressed as my knackered ankle meant I couldn't play football tonight, so inbetween watching the football and Buzzcocks I set to work hacking the mock up up to try a couple of things. First off I moved the crane back, second I lowered the heavy bolters. I also went round making the mock up a bit more durable so I can keep it a bit longer and try other things out with it.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/engin5.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/engin6.jpg

The black rectangle at the front is where a vision slit will go while the hatched area behind the heavy bolters will be a vent of some kind, I may also put a comms unit around there as well.

Where the hull weapon normally goes I am thinking of putting a winch or some other bit of gubbins.

Let me know what you think and any suggestions would be greatly welcome.

UnRiggable
15-02-2007, 02:41
Nice Job mates.

I hear a dreadnought hand makes an awesome crane.

scrubout
15-02-2007, 03:07
I second the dread-hand-crane idea...seems plausible. Pretty nice looking for a 'mock-up'!

-peace out
scrubout:skull:

Rictus
25-02-2007, 02:08
Nothing much really to show but I have done a bit of work so I thought I would put it up to show this project hasn't died.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechrear.jpg

I have started doing the rear panel. Cut a rear door and glued it into the correct width. All I need to do now is fill the gaps with GS.

Started to cut out the Ad Mech symbol for the top plate as well. All I need to do is sand off 2mm from it now.

Also cut out the rear bottom panel to replace the usual chimea rear panel (top right piece in the picture). I have recreated the hinge plates for the door moving the one in as the door is smaller. I have used scale hex heads bolts with washers on there for a change from rivets.

And now I need to go to bed, it's 2am and for some reason I have watched Piranha on tv, it was a naff film the first time I saw it so why the hell I watched it again I don't now.

Opinions, suggestions and other feedback would be appreciated.

scrubout
25-02-2007, 05:44
Oh my God...

...you watched Pirahna? That is a terrible film...

Good to see progress, even limited progress, that Admech symbol is awesome!

-peace out

Rictus
25-02-2007, 23:26
Oh my God...

...you watched Pirahna? That is a terrible film...

Good to see progress, even limited progress, that Admech symbol is awesome!

-peace out

I know, I know....300 dvds and i'm watching that bunch of crap.

Well I have been busy today but unfortunately not on this , this is all I managed to do today:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechrear2.jpg
All I have done is start on the rear panel, the box out area for the Servitor is in place (though the back piece won't be glued in till the panel is detailed). The rear and bottom panel are shown togther with the door in place with blu tac for now. I was going to sort out the servitors position using a couple of magnets but I can't find the ones I want to use (naturally I found all the other sizes I have that I don't want to use).

Tomorrow I want to get the GS onto the door and sort out the servitor (if I can find the magnets). and then detail the servitor cubby hole so the back piece can be glued in position.

Wolf Scout Ewan
25-02-2007, 23:43
This is not a complaint.

But... how are you going to prevent the grain of the wood from showing?

Rictus
26-02-2007, 00:16
This is not a complaint.

But... how are you going to prevent the grain of the wood from showing?

Er, what wood?

Wolf Scout Ewan
26-02-2007, 19:11
The main body of the chimera?

jasevx
26-02-2007, 19:24
ThaT WAS A TEMPLATE, IT'S PLASTICARD FOR THE REAL THING i BELIEVE

Rictus
26-02-2007, 22:07
The main body of the chimera?

As jasevx says the thing above is just a mock up built with cardboard and held together with blu tac and cellotape so I could get the idea of the shape I wanted. I have now started redoing the panels in plasticard (which is what the last couple of updates show).

It does actually say 'mock up' a couple of times....:D

Anyhoo, did a bit more of the rear door area this evening:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechrear3.jpg

I found my magnets so I was able to put the servitor in place and detail around his hatch. Also started to GS the door (it is just held in position with blu tac for the pics). The rear panel has now been glued to the lower panel. I still need to add the hinges for the door to the lower panel. I may wait till the hull is assembled before I do them so I don't just knock them off handling it. Likewise any other details will wait till then (such as more rivets).

Let me know what you think. Feedback, suggestions and general showings of interest always appreciated.

Melchiah
26-02-2007, 22:14
Its like that show pimp my ride but with toy soliders.:p

Wolf Scout Ewan
26-02-2007, 23:02
Oh really sorry Rictus!

Rictus
26-02-2007, 23:26
Oh really sorry Rictus!

No probs mate, nice to see people are interested enough to ask questions!

And Melchiah I'm gonna take that as a compliment, so thanks!

Before I carry on with the hull I think I need to do the track/engine side pieces as once they are done I can start gluing the hull pieces in position. I don't want to carry on making the hull panels, detailing them up etc only to find they don't fit, that would be a bit disapointing (or rather bloody annoying).

Wolf Scout Ewan
26-02-2007, 23:31
I love the servitor!

This thread has given me some inspiration for a guard engineer chimera.

Catferret
26-02-2007, 23:34
That's really cool! Servitor looks like ticket salesman at cinema tho! :D

Nice work so far. Waiting for more!

Rictus
26-02-2007, 23:44
Thanks both of you.

Something I forgot to ask, does anyone know where I could find an Admech Symbol to go on the back door? I've gone through the GW online store but can't seem to find anything appropriate.

schoolcormorant
26-02-2007, 23:55
isn't there something on a CoD panel?

SC

jasevx
27-02-2007, 09:45
Forgeworld do them if you can afford it!

Rictus
27-02-2007, 16:36
isn't there something on a CoD panel?

SC

There is one but that is the one I am using on the roof. It's a bit too big for the rear door (both in diameter and thickness). I will check the CoD panels again though just in case I missed a smaller one.

Forgeworld do them if you can afford it!

They only do the one that I know of which is way too big at 50mm diameter, a great shame as it looks perfect.

schoolcormorant
27-02-2007, 16:38
any chance you could freehand it? or even resize a pic and print onto plasticard?

SC

Rictus
27-02-2007, 16:45
any chance you could freehand it? or even resize a pic and print onto plasticard?

SC

Oh god I could never freehand it, been so long since I painted anything I'll be lucky to paint a solid colour without making a mistake.

I am thinking if I can't find a symbol somewhere for it I may turn to doing some sort of cog like symbol out of plasticard. I don't need to rush into anything though as details like that can wait till the rest of the hull and track sections have been built. If you see any Admech designs out there that could be reproduced in plasticard easily give me a shout.

I am sure I saw what looked like an Admech symbol on the side of the new MotR jetbike, but I may have been wrong about that and I think it would be too small for the rear door.

Rictus
28-02-2007, 00:13
Right it appears I spoke too soon in the last post. I wasn't going to try and make a symbol for the rear door until the very end, but one thing led to another, an idea sprung to mind and wouldn't go away....so here is the very early stage of an Admech symbol for the rear door:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/doorsymbol1.jpg
FW Skull (almost forgot I had one of 'em), the end of a chaos smoke launcher for the eye and GS. Tomorrow sharpen up the GS, add a piece of plasticard or two, cabling maybe and add some rivets...

Also spent half an hour taking 2mm off the back of the CoD Admech symbol to go on the roof:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechtop1.jpg

Let me know what you are thinking (mainly about the project but if you want to talk about something else feel free to say hello).

scrubout
28-02-2007, 01:09
Rictus...I'm thinking of a chili-cheese dog with onion rings...errr....

That is so cool. Dedication to get that 2mm off! Both symbols look good, especially the big one. I can just imagine the vehicle's machine spirit moving that skull around as it looks at an ork fighta-bomba strafing overhead! :evilgrin:

-peace out

schoolcormorant
28-02-2007, 01:25
did you use sandpaper?
some fine grade sandpaper would shave hours off you're working time (sorry i couldn't resist :p)

i used it for icons, worked a treat :)

SC

jasevx
28-02-2007, 08:45
Looking amazing! Ad Mech, as I've found, is the least supported of the Imperial Armies but gives you that pleasure of everything being bespoke, keep it going!

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
28-02-2007, 18:50
@Rictus.

Nice work mate. Totally inspiring and wanting me to start an ad mech army. Your work and the BRAUN II SCITARII thread are really making me feel like a lot of bits will be needed in the close future. :D

Rictus
28-02-2007, 22:15
did you use sandpaper?
some fine grade sandpaper would shave hours off you're working time (sorry i couldn't resist :p)

i used it for icons, worked a treat :)

SC

Oh dear, that was uncalled for...! I used coarse grade wet and dry sandpaper to take the 2mm off the CoD icon. It wasn't too much hard work and only took about half hour.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Work has continued on the bits and I even have photographic evidence:
Top Icon shown in place on the mock up with aerial attached:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/topsymbol2.jpg

And a montage of the rear door icon. I have added a 'cog' out of plasticard and added a small piece of plasticard onto the head, added a cable and added rivets. The top pictures show the icon in place, just held on by blu tac for now as I don't want to attach it yet as I think it will get damaged when i'm handling the door when assembling the vehicle, I also need to add more GS to the door and clean it up.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechrear4.jpg

As always let me know what you think about it.

PS: scrubout, thanks for sharing. Sounds nice...except for the onions, and the chili cheese dog bit.

scrubout
28-02-2007, 22:27
I don't like the aerial in the eye...

Everything else is excellent though, of course.

Sorry about that last post, I was craving food at the moment and you said post your thoughts.

-peace out

Rictus
06-03-2007, 23:51
It's been a few days since the last update but work has progressed on the front of the chimera:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechfront1.jpg

Where the heavy bolter went is now a winch, above there will be the smoke launchers. Instead of having the usual viewport I added some plates and started to build something that I can't think of a word for - basically instead of the driver looking out through a lense/prism etc the servitor crewman is plugged into the vehicle and sees through the camera and surveilance equipment built into the vehicle.

It needs to be cleaned up a lot and rivets added etc.

Feedback appreciated.....

jasevx
07-03-2007, 09:10
Looking better by the day!

Hideous Loon
07-03-2007, 11:03
I'll have to agree with Scrubout, the eye-attached aerial does not look all that hot. If you'd move it to a technical bit above the symbol, it'd look much better, but it looks like the symbol got a spear stuck in its mechanical eye.

scrubout
07-03-2007, 15:01
Haha:

Machine Spirit: "Oi! Me eye!"

:p

It looks spanky Rictus, just spanky.

-peace out

Voronwe[MQ]
07-03-2007, 15:06
I've to agree with the others on the aerial skull-antenna, but otherwise this is full of ideas and a great project.

Voronwe

Strelok
07-03-2007, 15:25
I like the plasticard work. AdMech has always been really interesting to me. I was thinking you could have a enginseer peeping from a hatch, if there was the space on the model. Or maybe a servitor pilot. Keep the pictures coming as the work comes along.

Apologist
07-03-2007, 15:28
Wow, absolutely fantastic. Wonderfully imaginative use of the servitor, and entirely plausible in the context of the vehicle. Have you considered trying to get hold of the twin-linked autocannons from the Defiler 'arm'? I think that would chime better than the heavy bolters with the baroque look of the vehicle as long as you kept the current (i.e. Imperial) gun shield.

Also, the chaos militia tank crew would look great as a cataphractus crew member...

Proper spiffy!

Rictus
07-03-2007, 23:45
Scrubout: Spanky? Is that some North Californian 'yoof' speak meaning good?

It looks like the consensus is a no-no on the aerial. It'll stay for now as I don't need to make a final decision untill I start detailing the top of the vehicle.

I spent a bit of time today cleaning up the front end and adding a few more rivets (though you can't tell much difference in the pics below). I have now started building up the hull. The inside track section panels have been glued in place, the chain was first secured. I have glued in the firt two styrene pieces of the hull. Took a while to get them the right shape.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechhull1.jpg

Apologist: While I like th eidea of a more baroque looking weapon I don't like the Defiler reaper autocanno, too long and spindly. Plus I only just sold one defiler. I do have some of the FW Militia for my LatD army and I may use a couple in my IW army so I don't want to use one of them in my Guard (it'll get confusing!). Plus I haven't got plans on adding any cupola on the vehicle for someone to pop out of.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I do have a question though, on the mock up I had the plate where the Turret sits shaped so it was flushed with the vertical panels:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/bolterturret.jpg
My question is should I keep it like that or have it overhang the vertical panels by 1mm then have rivets along the turret panel in line with the verical ones? Did that make any sense?

Strelok
08-03-2007, 00:06
The overhang is a good idea, to match the rivet work just below it

scrubout
08-03-2007, 03:56
It's not really a California thing...I think it has origins in the middle/south states...*shrugs*

Looking good.

-peace out

Rictus
09-03-2007, 00:01
The overhang is a good idea, to match the rivet work just below it
I'm thinking I will go with the overhang unless someone pipes up with a good reason not to. I'll probably cut two pieces of styrene out and see what the two look like in position.

It's not really a California thing...I think it has origins in the middle/south states...*shrugs*

Looking good.

-peace out
Hmm, very well. 'Spanky', I shall remember and use where pertinent.

Bit more of the hull has been done:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechhull2.jpg

The front piece hasn't been done yet as I haven't decided if I want a vision slit in there. If I do I will need to do it before the piece is glued in place.

GS is yet to be added in the crane area - espeically where the hole was filled in (though I think stowage will go there so it may not be needed).

The two pieces at the rear haven't been cut down to size as they need to be flush with the top of the top panel, plus they will help position the top panel.

Also need to get back to the viewer/camera bit at the front and add some more gubbins.

Rictus
10-03-2007, 00:10
Bit more done:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechhull3.jpg
Added the two cross pieces including the one at the front, the joins need to be cleaned up a bit. The top piece where the HB turret goes has been cut to size with a 1mm overhang, the bottom picture just has the piece layed on with the bolters in position to give an idea of how it will all look. The top piece needs to have the rivets added before it is glued in place, though the joint cleaning up will happen first. Crane is also shown in place. The next picture just shows the rivets i've done that don't show up in the other two:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechhull3cu.jpg

I may do more tomorrow or I may have a break and get back to my IW Stormsword (see other Log), I have yet to decide...oh what a crazy, do anything life I lead.

scrubout
10-03-2007, 00:48
Spanky indeed! ;)

Love the mesh.

-peace out

Rictus
10-03-2007, 01:19
Spanky indeed! ;)

Love the mesh.

-peace out

Why thank you, I am pleased to hear it has reached the required level of Spankiness...

I think tomorrow I will continue with this abit more. Get the last top panel cut to size and the forward HB panel riveted up, I can then start doing all the detailing on the hull. The time of starting the track sections is quickly aproaching, which is worrying as I still haven't decided how I am going to do them.

schoolcormorant
10-03-2007, 01:23
it's excellent so far Rictus :) i really envy you're plasticarding skills!

SC

jasevx
10-03-2007, 12:18
Got to agree with SC, amazing work so far!

Catferret
10-03-2007, 15:15
Ooh! It looks great. Really coming together now!

I'm hoping it's gonna be festooned with gubbins! Lots of spare parts and boxes and stuff. Then it'll look like a proper tank! ;)

Rictus
10-03-2007, 18:44
Thanks SC, jasevx and Catferret for the comments, much appreciated.

Don't worry Catferret the vehicle will have gubbins and stowage everywhere. I have got some FW Track Gaurds on order which should give me a bit more storage space and set the vehicle apart from the other tanks (the Enginseers get first choice for all the nice bits).

Done some more work today. The front HB plate I showed above has been scrapped as it wasn't quite right and the rivets I did on it didn't look good. A new one has been done, glued in place and riveted up. The joints on the vertical pieces has been GS & cleaned up. The top plate has been cut out but hasn't been glued in place yet. A storage bin has been added to store chain in:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechhull4a.jpg

And another shot showing bits in place:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/admechhull4b.jpg

Still quite a bit to do yet on the hull but it is progressing.

Any comments or suggestions? Let me have 'em.

Roel?
10-03-2007, 18:50
Damn that looks sweet! Can't wait to see it finished.

old guard
10-03-2007, 21:16
Coming along nicely, shame it won't get painted:evilgrin: (and again so with the oh not so subtle hints)

Rictus
10-03-2007, 22:27
Coming along nicely, shame it won't get painted:evilgrin: (and again so with the oh not so subtle hints)

Oh you evil, hurtful man.....you shouldn't taunt the aflicted....

Actually last week I bought some paints! I have just ordered some more and some new paint brushes....so I may (that's MAY) actually paint something soon. I am thinking of starting with this Chimera so I can actually finish a Project Log (or indeed finish anything...). So there...;)

Anyway, time to go back to work.

old guard
10-03-2007, 23:31
I want evidence, and a quick squirt of undercoat doesn't count

Steel_Legion
10-03-2007, 23:45
this Chimera is looking very good, love the extended body, and the mesh, only thing I am not too keen on is the storage bit with the chain just chucked it in, looks a bit half assed, apart from that, its fantastic, the crane rocks! Looking forward to seeing it finished and painted!

Althanan
11-03-2007, 04:46
Looking great Rictus!

I know it's late in the game, but if I may interject an idea...

As soon as I saw the servo-arm in that bits pile, I instantly had the idea of two of them mounted on the front of the Chimera, one to either side, with the graspers facing inwards, as though they were utility claws or somesuch.

Do with it as you will, I just felt I had to say it as rock hard as the idea has been in my head since I looked at that post :)

Rictus
12-03-2007, 01:05
this Chimera is looking very good, love the extended body, and the mesh, only thing I am not too keen on is the storage bit with the chain just chucked it in, looks a bit half assed, apart from that, its fantastic, the crane rocks! Looking forward to seeing it finished and painted!
Half Arsed! took me ages to do that....:D And as to looking forward to seeing it finished and painted you're not the only one...I'm rather keen myself.

Looking great Rictus!

I know it's late in the game, but if I may interject an idea...

As soon as I saw the servo-arm in that bits pile, I instantly had the idea of two of them mounted on the front of the Chimera, one to either side, with the graspers facing inwards, as though they were utility claws or somesuch.

Do with it as you will, I just felt I had to say it as rock hard as the idea has been in my head since I looked at that post :)

This one is going to be servo arm free, it'll just have a crane. I am saving the servo arm for my DA Techmarine Razorback (when I eventually go to it that is).

Right there has been too many distractions (rugby & football on tv) for me to do anything much but I have spent a bit of time cleaning up the rear doot (no pic though) and I did finish off one bit:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/P3110051.jpg
It is the corner behind where the crane goes. Took ages for me to decide what to do. Unfortuntalely I now need to redo the top plate. I wasn't too happy with the original piece anyway and now it needs to be redone so it lines up with this new corner.

Not much to comment on but feel free anyway.

old guard: Do you mean you want evidence that I have bought some new paints? Cause if you really want it I could take a pic:D

asmodai_dark86
12-03-2007, 02:01
Rictus this blog feels like the longest one on the boards. It such a cool idea, and I suppose perfection takes time and all that but damn this is taking awhile

Althanan
12-03-2007, 02:09
This one is going to be servo arm free, it'll just have a crane. I am saving the servo arm for my DA Techmarine Razorback (when I eventually go to it that is).

Ah, well, figured it was worth a shot ;) May have to save that idea for myself then, should I make a Chimera for my own Engineseer...

Bah, now you're going and giving me ideas :p Like I don't have enough to do without spending more money to add to the list... :eyebrows:

Strelok
12-03-2007, 08:07
The only thing stopping me from delving into the AdMech is the fact that I don't have any engineers or even tanks in my IG force...

irfpio
12-03-2007, 18:12
Hey Rictus

This is turning uot to be on good looking piece of machinery...:) Keep up the highly detailed work.....

Cheers
Irfpio

Rictus
13-03-2007, 00:51
Rictus this blog feels like the longest one on the boards. It such a cool idea, and I suppose perfection takes time and all that but damn this is taking awhile
Sorry to bore you....:D It is actualy been moving pretty swiftly, quicker than I originally planned. Considering I have also been working on my IW tanks (see other log) I haven't done too bad! Hopefully the end result will be worth the wait.

Hey Rictus

This is turning uot to be on good looking piece of machinery... Keep up the highly detailed work.....

Cheers
Irfpio
Thanks, coming from Mr Leviathan that is praise gratefully received.

The only thing stopping me from delving into the AdMech is the fact that I don't have any engineers or even tanks in my IG force...
Ah go, go on, go on, go on, go on, you know you want to. The crazy robed buggers from Mars are always worth delving into.

Bah, now you're going and giving me ideas. Like I don't have enough to do without spending more money to add to the list...
I know that feeling.

Right, another mini update as it doesn't look like I have done much. I have now done four (that's FOUR) top plates. 1, 2 & 3 doesn't weren't quite right. 4 isn'#t finished yet, it won't be a perfect fit till I glue it in place and then sand the edges down. I have done a bit of detailing though:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/topplatesmll.jpg
It is the vent and plate at the front of the top plate. The vent was done by cutting a rectangle out of the top plate, creating a frame to go on the outside that had an internal dimension 1mm smaller than the cutout, this allowed me to glue 1dia rod in position inside the hole. I then glued mesh on the inside.

One problem - they are the wrong way round....the vent should be near the crane. The small plate was going to be the base for the aerials. Idea being if the crane operator has a bad day and starts to rotate the crane round the wrong way it won't knock all the aerials over....
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/topplate2.jpg

I am not (repeat I AM NOT) doing a fifth plate. I can't take doing another one so i'll just have to live with the cock up.

Another problem - the crane needs to move over 1mm towards the outside of the vehicle as it currently just knocks into the top plate when in position. Tomorrow I may try and change the hole o it moves over, if this doesn't work i'll have to rig up a magnet.

Apologies for not much new work but as always feel free to comment (even if it is just 'get on with it you lazy t___'

Althanan
13-03-2007, 01:48
*Ahem*

Get on with it you lazy t___

;)

Seriously though, it's coming along well... cockups aside, it's looking great.

jasevx
13-03-2007, 10:21
You can be way to harsh on yourself, its superb work so far

Rictus
14-03-2007, 00:54
Thanks very much the two of you.

Due to football on tv and sticking skulls over my Storsword all I got to do on this today was a bit of work on the rear door. I added the hinge bits and a small detail along the bottom of the door:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/backdoor.jpg
Can't make my mind up whether to have the detail along the bottom with rivets (as though the detail was added later) or without rivets (the detail was machined into the door when it was made).

DigitsDavid
14-03-2007, 00:59
First time of reading this tread. I love the work done so far, can't wait to see it finished.

scrubout
14-03-2007, 03:21
Well, sociopathic tendencies are better than suicidal tendencies...:p

*All I wanted was a Pepsi!!!!*

Nice work, and quit bein' harsh on yourself ya sissy git...damn, some work is better than none, seen any updates to my log lately?!

...I might update tonight...

-peace out

Althanan
14-03-2007, 03:50
I would almost say without... seems like the Mechanicus would tend to machine something like that for their own crap.

Rictus
15-03-2007, 01:27
First time of reading this tread. I love the work done so far, can't wait to see it finished.
Thanks very much, always nice to hear something like that.

Well, sociopathic tendencies are better than suicidal tendencies...

*All I wanted was a Pepsi!!!!*

Nice work, and quit bein' harsh on yourself ya sissy git...damn, some work is better than none, seen any updates to my log lately?!

...I might update tonight...

-peace out
scrubout
And where was your update hmm? Well? I'm very dissapointed in you, I am expecting and update tomorrow or I shall be feeling very let down. And you wouldn't like me when I feel let down. I sulk. It isn't pretty.

I would almost say without... seems like the Mechanicus would tend to machine something like that for their own crap.
That's what I'm thinking, as someone has agreed I'm going to stick with no rivets on that piece (and what do you mean 'crap'...?!).

This evening I did two things, one was to mimic the detail on the door on the dozer blade that will eventually go on the vehicle:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/dozer1.jpg
This will have rivets though as the part above it also has rivets. I am not sure if to mirror the design so it is along the bottom as well. Do people think that would look good or be too much?

The second was to sort out the crane. I tried increasing the hole size to allow the crane to move over a mm but that just made it 'floppy'. So I implemented an idea I had at work to make a 'magnet cradle' - I couldn't get access under the styrene to fit a magnet so I had to drop one into the hole:
Pic 1 - Increased hole in styrene, lower right the back of the 'cradle', the magnet is inside the 'box':
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/crane1.jpg
Pic 2 - The cradle is turned upside down and glued into position, rivets added. The crane has a second magnet glued onto the bottom of the crane which drops into the cradle hole and connects with the magnet in there.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/crane2.jpg
I think I used a magnet a bit stronger than required as it is quite hard to get the crane out again, to show how strong it is here is Pic 3:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/crane3.jpg
The vehicle is quite happy to just hang off the crane magnets.

Now that the crane is sorted tomorrow I can put the top plate in place and start detailing the top plate and the rest of the hull pieces up. Rivets, what fun.

Strelok
15-03-2007, 01:40
Rictus, you're right about riveting... I riveted the shoulder pads of my emperor's champion, somewhere in the ballpark of ten per shoulder. Not only was it quite fun (read: annoying as all hell) to make and place the rivets, since the model is still in progress, I keep knocking them off. I guess I should have done them last... Keep the work and pics coming along! I'm following this log religiously.

Catferret
15-03-2007, 02:39
I like the Dozer Blade as it is. The second set of crenellated(sp?) bits probably would look a little OTT.

That tank is getting more aswesome looking with every update. Keep it up! :)

Althanan
15-03-2007, 02:42
Heh, sorry about the crap remark Rictus. Everything looks great, I just think I was a wee drunk at the time of posting ;)

grimkeeper
15-03-2007, 21:11
looks great and original

Rictus
17-03-2007, 12:56
Rictus, you're right about riveting... I riveted the shoulder pads of my emperor's champion, somewhere in the ballpark of ten per shoulder. Not only was it quite fun (read: annoying as all hell) to make and place the rivets, since the model is still in progress, I keep knocking them off. I guess I should have done them last... Keep the work and pics coming along! I'm following this log religiously.

I like the Dozer Blade as it is. The second set of crenellated(sp?) bits probably would look a little OTT.

That tank is getting more aswesome looking with every update. Keep it up!
Think I agree that two would be too much. Even though I hate riveting I have added them to the dozer blade:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/dozer2.jpg
You can't see them that well but there are 24 rivets on there. Added abit of damage and wear & tead as well. I heartily agree with you Strelok that doing rivets are really fun (i.e. bloody annoying) but they do add a lot to a model.

Heh, sorry about the crap remark Rictus. Everything looks great, I just think I was a wee drunk at the time of posting
That's ok, I think I know what you were getting at! Thanks for following the threads progress.

looks great and original
Ta very much.

The top plate was glued in place last night, filed/sanded to fit better and GS added. Today I will clean the GS up and touch up where needed before I start to detail it.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/topplate3.jpg
Another shot with some stuff in place. I am not sure whether to put the aerial at the rear or more towards the front. Can't decide which looks better.
Also worked on the crane a bit. Removed the Canadian company logos from the side, added GS to any gaps and sanded it all down. Also came up with another cog & skull for the crane.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/topcrane.jpg

As always let me know what you think and any suggestiosn you may have. Hopefully another update tonight.

Hideous Loon
17-03-2007, 14:58
Ah, Rictus. So nice to see that you removed the aerial from the skull, it looks so much better now. And do move it to the spot you've assigned it to.

Rictus
17-03-2007, 17:52
Ah, Rictus. So nice to see that you removed the aerial from the skull, it looks so much better now. And do move it to the spot you've assigned it to.

I couldn't decide if i liked the aerial on the skull or not so I went with public opinion which was definately against the skull/aerial combo. And by 'do move it...' I'm taking it that you mean follow the yellow arrow and put the aerial towards the front ('cause that's where I have moved it to...).

That's right people, two (that's TWO) updates in one day...
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/topplate5.jpg
Top plate has been cleaned up. I decided to add an 'intermediate' plate between the Admech skull & the vehicle, also allows the aerial to be tied into the same plate.
Slightly bigger pics of just the top plate:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/topplate4.jpg
And just because I like to play here is a couple of shots with stuff in place:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/hull1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/hull2.jpg

I have added rivets to the top plate and down the rear corner pieces (as well as added a few to the front where I thought it need more).

For those who are interested this morning the rivets added numbered 60.

And the total number of rivets added now numbers 148.

Rictus
17-03-2007, 17:55
Damn four picture limit...

I am thinking of adding these two CoD pieces to the rear of the vehicle but i'm not sure so I wanted your (that's you lot reading this) opinion on them:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/codbits.jpg

Give me your thoughts.

Wolf Scout Ewan
17-03-2007, 18:09
I really like them... I like all of it but can I suggest putting a washer at the base of each exhaust?

Just so the base of each isnt flat with the body of the vehicle?

irfpio
17-03-2007, 18:26
17-03-2007 17:55
Rictus Damn four picture limit...

I am thinking of adding these two CoD pieces to the rear of the vehicle but i'm not sure so I wanted your (that's you lot reading this) opinion on them:

Give me your thoughts.

This is looking really good Rictus... i really like your attention to detail, with the top - and around the ADMECH symbol... Put the two exaust thingies up there, they really look nice there, and the bulk the whole thing out!

Keep the updates coming....:D

Cheers
Irfpio

scrubout
17-03-2007, 18:37
I'd say add them, they'd look nice right there.

And thank you for not putting the aerial in the eye, or else I would be forced to constantly mock you for eternity.

-peace out

Strelok
17-03-2007, 23:02
I think the exhaust vents fit fine on the back of the vehicle. The project looks to be coming together quite well.

Rictus
17-03-2007, 23:29
Three updates in a day! I'm on a roll! Or some kind of hallucinogenic drug.

I really like them... I like all of it but can I suggest putting a washer at the base of each exhaust?

Just so the base of each isnt flat with the body of the vehicle?
I intended to use a disc of styrene the same thickness as the other plates on there (using a hole punch to get the disc). Unfortunately there isn't enough room in the one corner. I agree there definately should be something under them though.

This is looking really good Rictus... i really like your attention to detail, with the top - and around the ADMECH symbol... Put the two exaust thingies up there, they really look nice there, and the bulk the whole thing out!
Thanks very much.

I'd say add them, they'd look nice right there.

And thank you for not putting the aerial in the eye, or else I would be forced to constantly mock you for eternity.
Anything for you Scrubby....well nearly everything. Well a few things.

I think the exhaust vents fit fine on the back of the vehicle. The project looks to be coming together quite well.
Thanks for the feedback and input.

Everyone seems to think the vents are a good idea but I do have an alternative to show you before I decide for certain. Basically there isn't room in the one corner to have a disc under the vent and there is something nagging me about having them in each corner - especially as on the one side is the transport area. I am thinking of maybe doing this instead:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/codbits2.jpg
The card is just a mock up size wise for the base plate for the two vents. There are a bit shorter as before they were too tall for the crane moving round. I think I prefer this version visually (something about the mirror image before just didn't fit right with me) but I want peoples views again before I make a decision and start using glue. I wanted to have something behind the crane as that area was looking a bit bland so having the vents there fills that role.

One other thing to show you (I admit not a big update but it still counts). I have added a warning light to the front of the top plate. It uses the small plate that would of been the aerial base plate if I hadn't of made the mistake when I cut out the plate:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/warninglight.jpg
Idea being the crew turn it on to warn people to shift out the way before the crane starts swinging round.

Opinions? Suggestions? Offers of free biscuits?

Strelok
17-03-2007, 23:32
I do like the second option regarding the exhaust vents, but it needs something more in front of the two exhaust towers.

Rictus
17-03-2007, 23:35
I do like the second option regarding the exhaust vents, but it needs something more in front of the two exhaust towers.

Hmm, you're right. I may add a small grill (I'm thinking a circular one for a bit of difference?). I did think maybe a hatch of some kind but there isn't the room.

Strelok
17-03-2007, 23:52
Yeah, the grill idea popped into my head as well, the fact that you mirrored it, means you should probably use it. Yes, the circular vent, as opposed to square is much better.

Rictus
18-03-2007, 00:07
Yeah, the grill idea popped into my head as well, the fact that you mirrored it, means you should probably use it. Yes, the circular vent, as opposed to square is much better.

I may knock up a piece later to see what it looks like. Might be tricky getting a circular vent in there as there isn't much room but it would look good I think.

On another note I realised the Rivet Count was incorrect, i forgot to include the ones on the dozer blade, hence the revised Rivet Count is now standing at 172

Rictus
19-03-2007, 00:26
Took a bit longer than intended as i've ben out most of the day but I have put together a top piece for the vents:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/codbits3.jpg
It is just placed on top at mo and the vents are just balanced on top (i.e. nout has been glued in place yet). It was a bit tricky getting the hole in central. The plate could do with being about .5 to 1mm shorter as well.

What do you all think about it?

Strelok
19-03-2007, 01:27
scoot the middle exhaust stack over just a tiny bit more to even out the plate (I'm particularly OC about symmetry). You might also be able to place a mm or two of tubing under the vent just to throw something else in.

Wolf Scout Ewan
19-03-2007, 01:28
Yeah that looks good.

Kudos for the warning light too!

Strelok
19-03-2007, 01:29
Hmm, I was also thinking you could put an angle on the top cut of the vent tube, for some reason I think that'd look neat.

Catferret
19-03-2007, 01:35
scoot the middle exhaust stack over just a tiny bit more to even out the plate (I'm particularly OC about symmetry). You might also be able to place a mm or two of tubing under the vent just to throw something else in.

Seconded!

I was shocked to see so many updates! hadn't checked in a day or so and I look at the thread and see the thing is covered in widgets! Sweet! Everybody loves widgets. :D

EDIT: Ooh, post 1500...

Strelok
19-03-2007, 01:40
Speaking of Edinburgh.... the Globe's End Pub (or something close, world's end, something can't remember) short distance from the castle, great fish and chips, a bar that reminds me of cheers and a very interesting sign regarding tavern rules next to a booth by the front door. Any recollection, catferret?

CaptainSenioris
19-03-2007, 01:42
Wow this looks impressive.

Your enginseer getting the same kind of treatment?

Strelok
19-03-2007, 01:43
If only I could get the attention this thread is getting in my own on my Ordo Xenos kill-team. Either way, keep the updates coming Rictus. I like your style!

Catferret
19-03-2007, 02:18
Speaking of Edinburgh.... the Globe's End Pub (or something close, world's end, something can't remember) short distance from the castle, great fish and chips, a bar that reminds me of cheers and a very interesting sign regarding tavern rules next to a booth by the front door. Any recollection, catferret?

World's End. It's about half way down the Royal Mile. Never been in though. I usually drink in the Tron on Hunter square not far from there. Tis much cheapness. 1.80 a pint.

Strelok
19-03-2007, 02:38
I know the Tron, black paintjob on the outside with either yellow or gold writing? I remember walking past it. I'll hit you with a PM next time I'm in the area. Unfortunately, I'm from Florida, so it doesn't happen that often.

Rictus
20-03-2007, 00:40
I've moved the middle one over a bit, though possibly slightly too far. It's as good as I could get it so i'll have to live with it. I couldn't raise them any more as they would interfere with the crane too much (I had to cut them down in the first place) which is a shame as I would of liked something under them like another disc of styrene.

Yeah that looks good.

Kudos for the warning light too!
Thanks, the warning light is one of my favourite things on there, odd as it was one of the easiest as well.

Wow this looks impressive.

Your enginseer getting the same kind of treatment?
At mo no, but something may happen in the future as I have a FW techpriest in my bits box doing nothing (about 18 months after I bought him...too many things, not enough time).

And to join in with the other conversations I was in Edinburgh not so long ago, though I didn't go to that pub...

The vents are now in place and the plate glued in position. I shortened it slightly to fit better:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/codbits4.jpg

I also started adding a little detail on the top plate of the Heavy Bolters:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/boltertop.jpg
Glue is still drying when pic was taken. The overhanging bits will be trimmed down eventually.

Also added some plates in the servitor area to add a bit more texture (no pic to show as those I took were naff). Also added some more rivets here and there, as such the Rivet Count is now 210.

As always let me know what you think.

Catferret
20-03-2007, 00:55
I like it when this gets updated regularly! I can look at all the pretty pics and think about buildin a funktacular tank too.

Sorry about the thread hijack... It's being discussed by PM instead! You're welcome to join us if we are all in Edinburgh at the same time! :D

Rictus
20-03-2007, 01:13
I like it when this gets updated regularly! I can look at all the pretty pics and think about buildin a funktacular tank too.

Sorry about the thread hijack... It's being discussed by PM instead! You're welcome to join us if we are all in Edinburgh at the same time! :D

Funktacular tank? That sounds interesting. What do you have in mind?

No probs with the thread hijack, I just wanted to join in! I'll be back in Edinburgh again at some point as a friend (and regular gaming opponent) lives there, which is a shame as I live a five hour drive south.

scrubout
20-03-2007, 01:28
Totally tublar man! Nice to see some regular updating going on now...wish I could say the same for my thread...:eyebrows:

All of your executive decisions I approve of. Doesn't that statement just make your day? Oh ya, scrubout approves!

-peace out

Strelok
20-03-2007, 03:42
Hmm, despite the lack of elevation, I like it a lot. Maybe it is the lack of elevation that made the vent... hmmm, quite nice. I def need to travel across the Pond to come and hang out.

Rictus
20-03-2007, 18:18
Totally tublar man! Nice to see some regular updating going on now...wish I could say the same for my thread...:eyebrows:

All of your executive decisions I approve of. Doesn't that statement just make your day? Oh ya, scrubout approves!

-peace out
Why thank you very much, I feel vindicated! It's a shame the threads on Warseer don't have sub titles as I could have 'Officially Approved by Scrubout' underneath. Hmm, an idea is forming, my sig may change. Anyway haven't you got some things to be working on? Those guardsman (and guardswoman) won't be finishing themselves you know...;)

Hmm, despite the lack of elevation, I like it a lot. Maybe it is the lack of elevation that made the vent... hmmm, quite nice. I def need to travel across the Pond to come and hang out.
You would be welcome but you might want to let me know first, you wouldn't want to come this way only for me to be out...

While I have been enjoying doing regular updates it has now reached the point where I need to start working on the track sections, as I envision this to be a bit of a hit or miss venture with me making stuff up as I go don't be surprised if the updates do slow down a bit. Hopefully they will be worth waiting for.

scrubout
20-03-2007, 18:48
Anyway haven't you got some things to be working on? Those guardsman (and guardswoman) won't be finishing themselves you know...

Don't remind me, it's a depressing subject. :(

Just because of that quote I'll make sure to do some of my math homework before getting home so I can make some progress on my own log.

------------------

Be honored you have my name in your sig. I know I would be. :D (It's a lowercase 'S'! I'm particular like that Rictus!)

Definately looking forward to more work on your chimera, it's very inspirational.

-peace out

Rictus
20-03-2007, 19:05
Be honored you have my name in your sig. I know I would be. :D (It's a lowercase 'S'! I'm particular like that Rictus!)
-peace out

Oh you American types and your wacky way of using the English language...lower case 's' it is then...

I should be seeing an update to your log shortly then should I? I don't want to nag and push you, actually yes I do, go on hurry up and get on with it...lazy, good for nothing....:D

scrubout
20-03-2007, 19:08
Actually, it's not an American (or Californian thing), it's just a scrubout thing. :p

And you'll see an update when it's evening here! It's only 11 am right now!:rolleyes:

How about you get off warseer, and I will too, so we can both post updates eh? Haha. *So hard...so hard....*

-peace out

Rictus
20-03-2007, 19:16
Actually, it's not an American (or Californian thing), it's just a scrubout thing. :p

And you'll see an update when it's evening here! It's only 11 am right now!:rolleyes:

How about you get off warseer, and I will too, so we can both post updates eh? Haha. *So hard...so hard....*

-peace out

Cheeky bugger, i've had a full day at work and I want a break before I start trying to work out how the hell I am going to do the track sections (suggestions welcome). Something may appear here tonight though, maybe.

Strelok
20-03-2007, 19:26
Trim the eagle off each track segment and replace it with the AdMech symbol! No, its not too ambitious, I swear!

scrubout
20-03-2007, 19:29
Use wheels?

At first I was gonna suggest double-links, as that thing is pretty high for a chimera chasis and some extra width would be nice. But now that Strelok mentioned the eagle-issue...perhaps wheels would be a viable solution?

-peace out

Strelok
20-03-2007, 19:34
Oh, also, maybe add support struts on that sides that would jack the vehicle up when using the crane (the things you see on the sides of construction cranes). The struts could justify using wheels.

Rictus
21-03-2007, 21:30
Use wheels?

At first I was gonna suggest double-links, as that thing is pretty high for a chimera chasis and some extra width would be nice. But now that Strelok mentioned the eagle-issue...perhaps wheels would be a viable solution?

-peace out
I don't really want to use wheels, I am saving that for some scout/fast type vehicles. If I used wheels I would lose some of the stowage I can add and some of the detail ideas I want to use. Double tracks wouldn't be a bad idea except it would look over the top as my Trojan and Atlas (the dedicated engineering vehicles in my Guard force) only have regualr tracks. Make the FW track gaurds I have bought for it a bit of a waste as well:eek:

I don't think it is much taller than the Trojan (whcih is within a mm of the FW version I think). I could do with doing a comparison between the two. It does look quite high at the moment but the tracks should help balance that out as they will add on about 20mm each side.

What I am struggling to get over is how to build out the track sections (as shown in the 3D model concept drawing on page 1 or 2). I am doing nother mock up at the moment in card to give me an idea of how things might come together.

Oh, also, maybe add support struts on that sides that would jack the vehicle up when using the crane (the things you see on the sides of construction cranes). The struts could justify using wheels.
Support struts sounds a promising idea. I might have some from a 1/35 scale kit somewhere. I just have to see how I can incorporate into the track sections. Hmm, watch this space for progress.

Rictus
22-03-2007, 00:22
Righto, here is a pretty rough mock up of the first track unit made mainly out of card, balsa, blu tac and pva glue:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/trackmockup1.jpg

I found the support struts, the top pic is of it mounted on the side but i'm not so kean on that as it protrudes too far. I think it will be mounted at the rear possibly cutting the area back slightly (the yellow hatched area) - lower pic.

More stowage will be put in the blank area above the vents (if that is what they are, can't remember now).

scrubout
22-03-2007, 01:04
....um....which end is up?

-peace out

Rictus
22-03-2007, 01:10
....um....which end is up?

-peace out

Same as a normal chimera side panel - The exhaust is at the front and the vents are lower front. As you look at the picture the top pof the panel is the top of the vehicle. The stowed wheels are the top rear of the chimera.

In fact the writing gives it away as I was taking notes on the cardboard as I was builing it & cutting out parts and I always had it the right way up.

Did that make sense?

scrubout
22-03-2007, 01:23
Ya, I see it now, just wasn't sure because I am unfamiliar with the support struts.

I prefer the struts on the back, with the extra stowage space on the track part it is too much to have it jut out further.

Your mockups always look so nice...

-peace out

Strelok
22-03-2007, 01:35
Yay, my support strut idea had some promise after all! As for this tank, it makes me want to stray for a totally airborne army so I can add tanks... keep up the awesome work Rictus!

Rictus
23-03-2007, 15:57
Ya, I see it now, just wasn't sure because I am unfamiliar with the support struts.

I prefer the struts on the back, with the extra stowage space on the track part it is too much to have it jut out further.

Your mockups always look so nice...

-peace out
I think I will go with them on the rear, it makes more sense and looks better. On top of that I have a image in my head of the driver parking the vehicle and thinking 'Bugger!' as he hears a crunching sound due to the fact he has forgetten the vehicle is four foot wider because he has some support struts sticking out.

And as for the mock up looking so nice it is probably down to camera angle...from other views you can see the gaps and other crap holding it all together :)

Yay, my support strut idea had some promise after all! As for this tank, it makes me want to stray for a totally airborne army so I can add tanks... keep up the awesome work Rictus!

It was a good idea and I was happy to take it and claim it for my own:D If you've got any others let me know.

A gaurd army without tanks! For shame, surely that is heresy of the most vilest kind?:D

Rictus
24-03-2007, 01:19
This isn't an update so nothing exciting but I do have some new pictures. I thought some might like to see the Enginseers Chimera (even in it's current state) compared to some other vehicles so you can see how the height compares and the difference in hull shape.

Next to a Regular Chimera:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/scale3.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/scale4.jpg

And next to my Trojan:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/scale1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/scale2.jpg

As I said nothing really to get excited about but I though some might be interested.

Looking at the pictures now I realise I should of put the Heavy Bolters in place for them. Nevermind.

Strelok
24-03-2007, 01:37
Hmmm, have you thought of maybe attaching servo-arms to the front end of the tank? That'd look nice!

WarpWhisperer
24-03-2007, 01:42
Hey there,

Found this thread yesterday, and skimmed through. Looking good, but the back end of the enginseer-mera is looking a little bulky. You planning to add some side detailing, like your trojan?

Rictus
24-03-2007, 01:57
Hmmm, have you thought of maybe attaching servo-arms to the front end of the tank? That'd look nice!
Nah, I don't want to add anything like that as I want the vehicles main role to still be one of a transport. Also I think it may look too Orky or Chaos like if it had mechanical type arms at the front (what was that old Ork vehicle with the claws on the front? name escapes me now). When I do my Techmarine Razorback I will give that a servo arm instead of a crane but that also will just be a single arm for light battlefield duties.

Hey there,

Found this thread yesterday, and skimmed through. Looking good, but the back end of the enginseer-mera is looking a little bulky. You planning to add some side detailing, like your trojan?
On the sides at the rear some things will get added, either stowage, a hatch of some kind or like the Trojan small plates (made from the end piece of the old HK missle box). I will probably leave deciding until the track sections & track guard are in place and I can see what fits and looks right there.

Thanks for the interest, keep your suggestions and ideas coming. It is all appreciated.

Catferret
24-03-2007, 03:25
Also I think it may look too Orky or Chaos like if it had mechanical type arms at the front (what was that old Ork vehicle with the claws on the front? name escapes me now).

Sounds like the Gutrippa to me. Gobsmashas were the Vindicator style things. Bowelburnas were the tractors with flamer turrets. There were so many cool Orky tanks back then. Hope they make a comeback in 40k one of these days...

Back on topic, yeah, avoid the claws. It would be too Khorney in appearance.

Strelok
24-03-2007, 04:36
Sorry, I saw the direct exclusive techmarine and got carried away.... I apologize and will serve penitence for my heresy...

Rictus
30-03-2007, 00:01
A bit quiet on the Chimera front recently due to be distracted by DA but I got back to it today. Not much done but I have started putting the first track unit together from styrene.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/sidewipa.jpg
The red cross marks the bottom rear of the chimera. Yellow circles will be spare wheel storage, blue arrow where the support strut will go and the green bit is the vents taken from the chimera.

Not a huge amount but it's a start. As always let me know what you think and any suggestions you may have.

On a side note this Sunday I am (almost certainly) going to the FW show so if you are there and see someone wearing a t-shirt with my avatar on it it will be me (if there are two of us I have it as a tattoo as well....) so say hello. If I have a stunned look on my face it will be because I am suffering shock from spending even more money at the sales stand than I intended, emotional support would be appreciated.

scrubout
30-03-2007, 04:09
Excellent as always Rictus, those other jerks aren't cheering you on, but I still approve of this thread with great sincerity and am here now to give you tender loving support.

Good luck getting that at the FW show though, I think I'd be tempted to take advantage of your shocked state and make off with your new goodies....you should walk around chanting "swiper no swiping" for a truly looney effect. :p

-peace out

Strelok
30-03-2007, 04:23
Ouch, I'm hurt at being called a jerk... I my loving support is not so tender, but just as loving! As for getting carried away by the DA, I understand. The BT sprue got me to make a unit of Deathwatch for my imperial guard simply because I wanted to play with it. I wish i could go to the forgeworld open day... :(

Chimera is looking good, can't wait to see more work done on it!

scrubout
30-03-2007, 06:01
Only kidding my fellow warseers! Do not take my words seriously! :p

-peace out

Strelok
30-03-2007, 06:26
It's ok scrubby, I'm still on your side! Rictus, be not distracted!

Rictus
31-03-2007, 00:43
I knew I could count on you scrubby, us MFA'ers need to stick together!

Unfortunately Strelok I am easily distracted but I shall perservere and try and get something done this weekend.

While working on my Terminator command squad I had a thought on the front vision piece on the chimera, so being easily distracted I dropped the Termies and got to work filling in the empty bit on the front:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/vision.jpg
You can't see it very well but the grey bit is from the top of the Apothercaries backpack, it has gubbins which looked suitable for the Servitor drivers vision panel thing (I wish I could come up with a game name for that bit).

Feell free to comment, positively or negatively.

schoolcormorant
31-03-2007, 00:46
looking great Rictus :)
you've sunk a lot of time into this and it shows. nice stuff

SC

Rictus
31-03-2007, 01:08
looking great Rictus :)
you've sunk a lot of time into this and it shows. nice stuff

SC

Cheers SC, I have worked so long on it now that I could do with a short break....but it keeps pulling me back in. Ideally I would spend all weekend trying to finish it off but the trip to FW Sunday has sunk that plan.

Rictus
31-03-2007, 15:53
Work on the track section is now progressing. I glued in the styrene round the egde and to my surprise the lot seems to of gone together pretty well. Keep in mind in the pictures the chimera piece and the styrene assembly is only stuck together with blu tac and the whole lot needs a lot of cleaning up. Next job will be to start cleaning it up and adding GS to the corners etc.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/trackwipa.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/trackwipb.jpg

And with the spare wheels & support strut in position:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/trackwipc.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/trackwipd.jpg
I may cut down the 'shield' on the support strut along the green line as it is quite low at the moment.

Bit distracted now as I am trying to watch the rugby at the same time so not sure how much more will be done this afternoon but I do hope to be able to do another update some time today.

All feedback graciously welcome.

Catferret
01-04-2007, 17:03
Wow! That looks great! I am so envious of your skills.

A wee while back you asked about a tank project I was thinking of plasticarding. I am looking into the feasibility of a Stormhammer Super Heavy. I am rescaling the old Baneblade designs from WD many years ago.

Put the project on hold because I thought FW were making one. Unfortunately the twin battle cannon turret belongs to a Macharius... :cries:

Rictus
01-04-2007, 17:36
Wow! That looks great! I am so envious of your skills.

A wee while back you asked about a tank project I was thinking of plasticarding. I am looking into the feasibility of a Stormhammer Super Heavy. I am rescaling the old Baneblade designs from WD many years ago.

Put the project on hold because I thought FW were making one. Unfortunately the twin battle cannon turret belongs to a Macharius... :cries:

Thanks very much, appreciate your comments.

Stormhammer, lovely... I will look forward to seeing that.

I saw the Macharius at the Open Day today. It looks very nice (even though it ain't a Stormhammer). Infact I bought one. I didn't want to, they made me.

Catferret
01-04-2007, 17:42
You will have a long wait for the Stormhammer I'm afraid. Still just at the planning stage. Although you have inspired me so maybe I'll have a better stab at it.

Strelok
01-04-2007, 18:24
Rictus, the track section looks good. I've definitely been inspired to work on my plasticard skills due to this thread. As for buying the Macharius on a whim, that's pretty wild, I wished I had that kind of change lying around. Cutting down the shield on the strut is a pretty good idea, it is a little too big and IMO kind of clouds that part of the tank. The strut itself looks good, however. Looks like the sides of the tank have plenty of room for AdMech symbols and devotional icons and litanies to the Machine God.

Rictus
01-04-2007, 20:08
You will have a long wait for the Stormhammer I'm afraid. Still just at the planning stage. Although you have inspired me so maybe I'll have a better stab at it.
You can't do that to me! Tease me with the prospect of a Stormhammer and then make me wait! It's cruel. Evil man:D

Rictus, the track section looks good. I've definitely been inspired to work on my plasticard skills due to this thread. As for buying the Macharius on a whim, that's pretty wild, I wished I had that kind of change lying around. Cutting down the shield on the strut is a pretty good idea, it is a little too big and IMO kind of clouds that part of the tank. The strut itself looks good, however. Looks like the sides of the tank have plenty of room for AdMech symbols and devotional icons and litanies to the Machine God.
Thanks very much, comments like that help keep me going with it and try even more for a godo result. I admit before I even went I knew that I wouldn't be able to withstand even a light sales pitch. I had almost become resigned to the fact that I would end up buying something big I didn't really need or could really afford. As soon as he said 'we've got a few pre release ones here, only 85....' I knew I was screwed. Still at least I didn't walk away with an Earthshaker battery. The area above the vents on the side panel will have more storage - I am thinking either spare fuel something like I did on my LatD Hellhound:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Lost%20and%20the%20Damned/Hellhound/hellhound2212b.jpg
though it wouldn't be identical to that. Instead of fuel I may put some sort of tool kit/box. Not sure yet. I also want at least one hatch somewhere giving access to the engines. Probably do more work on it tomorrow night.

Strelok
01-04-2007, 20:28
Yeah, that looks like a plan. And only 85 pound is not bad at all, I thought superheavies were much more... hmmm... but I still don't have 170 american lying around...

irfpio
01-04-2007, 20:44
This is looking better and better for each post Rictus, nice work man.....:D

Cheers
Irfpio

Rictus
03-04-2007, 23:30
Right, here is the latest pictures:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/trackwipe.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/trackwipf.jpg
It is now glued together and GS has been added where the two pieces met up though it hasn't been cleaned up yet so it is very rough looking in the pics. Around the exhaust the side piece didn't make a perfect fit with the styrene pieces already glued in place - the side piece was slightly short so I glued 1mm x 0.5thk styrne strip in place then filed them down to get a smooth finish. I have also added the detail along the bottom and added the hatch. Also started work on the road wheel storage area. Still plenty to do including cleaning up the GS and working on the area around the exhaust. More storage to be added and plenty of rivets.

Do people think I should have purity seals etc on this thing?

And for the hell of it and because I had a few minutes free:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/trackwipg.jpg

As always let me know what you think.

Catferret
04-04-2007, 00:39
Ooh! That's exactly what I was hoping for! Big and chunky witj lotsa stuff and widgets! Sweet!

Strelok
04-04-2007, 00:41
I vote for purity seals to support the fanatical worship of the Omnissiah :D

scrubout
04-04-2007, 04:24
Awesome as always...

...and don't give me that BS about them makeing you buy it, it sounds better if you say they held you at gun point while hog-tying you and chanting how they are gonna roast you over a spit unless you buy their latest model.

At least I think it does.

Love the hellhound, there are so many awesome hellhound conversions and I'm gonna have to make one myself soon. The only problem is there are too many good ones (including yours) to draw inspiration from!

-peace out

Rictus
04-04-2007, 22:23
Ooh! That's exactly what I was hoping for! Big and chunky witj lotsa stuff and widgets! Sweet!
You've got to have widgets! It just wouldn't be the same without 'em:)

I vote for purity seals to support the fanatical worship of the Omnissiah :D
I think I will add some purity seals, I don't want to go overboard as I want it to look like a working vehicle more than a AdMech Chapel but I don't think the Enginseers would ride around in it before they have made offerings to the vehicles Machine Spirit.

Awesome as always...

...and don't give me that BS about them makeing you buy it, it sounds better if you say they held you at gun point while hog-tying you and chanting how they are gonna roast you over a spit unless you buy their latest model.

At least I think it does.

Love the hellhound, there are so many awesome hellhound conversions and I'm gonna have to make one myself soon. The only problem is there are too many good ones (including yours) to draw inspiration from!

-peace out
Thanks scrubby. And they did make me buy it, they held my DA Ven Dread to ransom...'buy the big tank or the dread gets it...'.

Thanks for the comment on the HH, if you would like to see other pics let me know as I've got plenty in my photobucket page.

Strelok
05-04-2007, 00:17
That works. You could have banner poles with hanging litanies, I think that would look cool while still looking operational.

Rictus
06-04-2007, 01:31
Right, I have more piccies for you to look at:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/track05a.jpg
That's the current state of play. The GS was cleaned up (though a bit more has now been added). The extra fuel has been added. I have started to put a border round the exhaust as well. Also finished off around the spare wheels. You can't see that well in the picture one side is hinged while the other is riveted, same picture fiddled with to show some of the detail a bit better:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/track05b.jpg
Also started working on a searchlight to go at the front, also I cut down the panel on the support strut:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newbits.jpg
The alst pic just shows what the storage will be next to the fuel, it is just a couple of tools, currently just laid on for the pic:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/track05c.jpg

Feel free to say what your thoughts are, or just to say hello.

Strelok
06-04-2007, 01:33
Excellent! The paneling looks quite good, and the tools as well! Keep 'em coming! I envy your plasticarding...

schoolcormorant
06-04-2007, 01:39
fantastic work Rictus, i've always liked the conversion with the pick-head, really smart ;)
awesome work as ever :)

how long do you think is left until you have to get the paint out :evilgrin: i know you're worried!

SC

Rictus
06-04-2007, 02:09
fantastic work Rictus, i've always liked the conversion with the pick-head, really smart ;)
awesome work as ever :)

how long do you think is left until you have to get the paint out :evilgrin: i know you're worried!

SC

Well with this weekend being a bank holiday i've got four days without work so I am hoping that by Monday night this track section will be finished, the second will be also be completed and both track sections attached to the vehicle. Then I will have a week to finish anything else off such as adding the track guards (they are the FW ones and I need to clean 'em up etc first), adding purity seals etc. The plan being that next weekend the building phase will be finished and I can start painting. I am so looking forward to it being finished.

On the down side when I looked though the IA5 at the FW Open Day the Krieg army list didn't seem to include Techpriest Enginseers as an Elite choice so I won't actually get to use the vehicle that often....bugger:cries:

Anyway, thanks for your comments SC and Strelok.

Catferret
06-04-2007, 02:20
Wow! That's about all I can say at this juncture so I'll add the "hello" you also requested! :D

Strelok
06-04-2007, 02:43
What all else is in IA5? I'm still stuck on needing to buy IA4...

scrubout
06-04-2007, 03:37
Very awesome as usual Rictus, I'm not surprised however, you've aimed to please me and have achieved success yet again. You keep your approval status.

-peace out

cthorpe
06-04-2007, 10:57
Hi Rictus..

The progress you have made on this model is fantastic, and inspirational.. you've some great ideas here..

I'm looking forward to seeing this project progress,

Best wishes,

Carl

Rictus
06-04-2007, 22:23
What all else is in IA5? I'm still stuck on needing to buy IA4...
TO be honest everything I can remember from reading (or rather flicking through, I didn't have time to actually read it more the pity) is in the News & Rumour section here on Warseer. If you want to ask me anything in particular send me a PM and i'll see if I can remember anything relevant, though I ain't got a great memory so don't get your hopes too high....:D

Very awesome as usual Rictus, I'm not surprised however, you've aimed to please me and have achieved success yet again. You keep your approval status.

-peace out
I always aim to please scrubby! Nice to know I can keep the 'approved status'.

Thanks for the comments Catferret & cthorpe.

Not done much today as I have been far too distracted by other things (it's a curse) but I did cut out the panel for the second track section:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/P4060055.jpg
Instead of having the road wheel storage the gas bottles will go there instead. I cut the panel out so it was 1mm longer as the first one was jst a bit short. It should be easier to file this one down to size than it was to add material where it is short.

Not much to comment on but any feedback is always appreciated.

Catferret
07-04-2007, 03:46
Cunning plan. It is always better to make things too big then reduce them later if necessary.

Looking good. I like the big gas cylinders. Appropriately dangerous to stick on the side of a tank! Very Ad Mech though.

Strelok
07-04-2007, 04:37
Hmm, what about a mesh shrapnel-catcher around the tanks for a little something extra?

scrubout
07-04-2007, 07:11
Nice touch them gas tanks, definately creates the variety and lack of uniformity so present in crazy techpriest creations.

-peace out

Rictus
07-04-2007, 22:22
Cunning plan. It is always better to make things too big then reduce them later if necessary.

Looking good. I like the big gas cylinders. Appropriately dangerous to stick on the side of a tank! Very Ad Mech though.
I'm cunning me, cunning as a fox...

Hmm, what about a mesh shrapnel-catcher around the tanks for a little something extra?
Ooh, I like that (see below).

Nice touch them gas tanks, definately creates the variety and lack of uniformity so present in crazy techpriest creations.

-peace out
Indeed, while I always wanted it to look like it is a chimera I also wanted a lack of uniformity in the design, the idea being the vehicle was built to suit a purpose rather than modified later on. I'm not sure if that was really very clear...you get what I mean? Basically each side panel will look related but be different as I thought it would look good, in the same way the vehicle as a whole will be related to a chimera (and a Trojan) but would still have a distinctive look of it's own.

Anyhoo, I come with more pictures.

First off I added a 4mm high piece of styrene into the Gas Cylinder area as I wanted to 'raise' them up a bit:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/track2b.jpg

After that I have started to build up the 'horizontal' pieces that bulk the side panel out (you'll get what I mean when you look at the top piece in the picture, on the left). I decided to incorporate Strelok's idea of having mesh accross the gas cylinders and came up with a design that incorporates the detail along the bottom of the panel and the piece that covers the support strut cutout (note the brown & grey shapes below are just card mock ups to see what it all would look like together):
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/track2a.jpg

Suggestions (any more Strelok? You're on a roll), comments, ideas, recipes, film reviews etc welcome.

Strelok
07-04-2007, 22:29
Damn, I feel so involved in this project (which is good, because I'm both sick and away from my own workspace this weekend...). Give me a little bit and I'll try and get some more ideas your way, and I'm flattered you keep incorporating my ideas.

Strelok
07-04-2007, 22:35
Well, this is just a desperate stretch of an idea, but you could incorporate an auspex somewhere on the tanks as a sort of regulator or monitor for the contents of the tanks.... more ideas coming later, I promise....

Rictus
07-04-2007, 22:57
Well, this is just a desperate stretch of an idea, but you could incorporate an auspex somewhere on the tanks as a sort of regulator or monitor for the contents of the tanks.... more ideas coming later, I promise....

Funnily enough I've had thoughts along those lines myself, I'm still mulling it over as to parts and where. Something may appear in the near future.

And I'm flattered you keep giving me your ideas...:D

Rictus
09-04-2007, 20:48
Not been able to do as much as I hoped to do this weekend for seveeral reasons but the second track unit has progressed.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/track09a.jpg
The side panel has had all the horizontal styrene added to it. I have also added the detail along the bottom which also forms the basis for the grill mesh over the gas cylinders. The chimera vents have been glue in position as well. The mesh has been glued in place and the top frame added. Construction wise this panel is now finished and I am only waiting for a bit of GS (circled in yellow) to cure before I sand that area down and glue the whole thing in to the chimera panel.

I have to admit this track unit went together much better than the first, joints are tighter so I will need far less GS to finish the joints off.

To show what it should look like when glued in place I positioned the panel in place for a wuick photo:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/track09b.jpg

The exhaust end (boxed in green) is where I deliberately made the panel slightly too long so it can be filed back flush when the panel is fixed in place.

Comments....etc welcome (go on, be nice, give 'em to me)

Strelok
09-04-2007, 23:31
Well, after reading over my "tanks of the world" book, I've got a few ideas for you. First of all, since this AdMech tank is kind of like an ARV, how about two big petrol tanks strapped on the back, or would that obscure too much detail? Also, you could throw on a few pieces of ERA armor, that always looks neat. With this tank, you wouldn't really need any sort of tarpaulin, but tanks are often seen with big tarps strapped above their tracks for emergency camo... thats just a few lame additions from my side.

Rictus
10-04-2007, 17:37
Well, after reading over my "tanks of the world" book, I've got a few ideas for you. First of all, since this AdMech tank is kind of like an ARV, how about two big petrol tanks strapped on the back, or would that obscure too much detail? Also, you could throw on a few pieces of ERA armor, that always looks neat. With this tank, you wouldn't really need any sort of tarpaulin, but tanks are often seen with big tarps strapped above their tracks for emergency camo... thats just a few lame additions from my side.

Not sure about petrol tanks, I will have to wait and see what the vehicle looks like once the track sections are in place and the track gaurds added. I may put one on the rear of the track guard though. Don't want to add any extra armour as it is bulked up enough now and I don't want to add anything to obscure the details. I do have plenty of stowage type bits from the 1/35 kit I got the crane from and I will be adding some of those including a couple of tarp (probably to the track guard).

All good ideas, definately not lame, and I appreciate you coming forward with them.

Hopefully another update tonight, though there is football on so I may get too distracted.

schoolcormorant
10-04-2007, 17:41
i don't think it needs petrol tanks, what with all the beefing up around the tank it must be somewhere in there, i mean underneath the armour ;)

SC

cthorpe
10-04-2007, 19:27
Hi there..

I like SC's idea about there being extra fuel tanks, perhaps buried within the bulked out armour that you have provided around the tracks.. perhaps you could indicate this with some scratch built taps, or hose fittings/couplings?

If you do not like the idea as extra fuel tanks, these could also be hose attachments to foam generators for firefighting, to put out fires from buning tanks before recovering them?

Just a thought?

Best wishes,

Carl

Rictus
11-04-2007, 00:26
Aaaargh! Too many good ideas..I haven't got room on the vehicle for them all...

I actually do have a small extinguisher to go on there (from the 1/35 kt). I like the idea of extra fuel being carried inside the track areas.

I need to go back through my bits box to see what is appropriate.

I was going to do an update tonight but it is now midnight so i'm not going to be taking pictures now. I have done some work though, on Track unit 2 the GS has been cleaned up and a small amount more added (so I am holding off attaching the parts together untill the GS is finished), On Track unit 1 I have attached the tool rack, finished off and attached the light and riveted up the detail along the bottom. Number of rivets on Track unit 1 is currently at 62. Current running total of rivets is now 272. I hate rivets.

Pics tomorrow.

Strelok
11-04-2007, 03:37
I didn't mean the extra petrol tanks for the arv, I meant for the vehicles its recovering, a sort of logistical aid. Also, you could put extra track sections somewhere on the tank, both for the arv and vehicles in need, since broken tracks are a common cause of immobilization.

Rictus
11-04-2007, 20:06
Here is the pictures showing the state of the first track unit as of last night:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/track11a.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/track11b.jpg

Not watching football tonight so I should get some more done on the second track unit.

jasevx
11-04-2007, 20:08
Loving the detail work Rictus, this will be one jealous guy when you've finished this!

old guard
11-04-2007, 21:57
She's looking good chap, I'm always impressed with your patience with all the rivets and the like. Keep it coming.

scrubout
11-04-2007, 22:32
Absolutely awesome as usual...I look forward to seeing it's better (?) half.

-peace out

irfpio
11-04-2007, 23:19
This is looking better and better, everytime i look as this thread - looking forward to the next update...:D

Cheers
Irfpio

Rictus
11-04-2007, 23:50
Thanks everybody, you're feedback keeps me going (even with the rivets...)

Pic of the Second Track Unit:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/track11c.jpg
The panel is glued in position but I haven't finished sanding it down to fit yet or added GS to a couple of the joins. I am thinking of adding access to the engine on this on which is what I have mainly been working on this evening as well as finally gluing the Heavy Bolters together. I may change that at some point as I can never seem to put Razorback turrets together perfectly (always seem a bit wonky, is it just me or does everybody have wonky turrets?).

Now for the 'money' shots, a few pics of the two track units in place to show how the whole thing is coming together:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/assy1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/assy2.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/assy3.jpg

Do people like?

escobar
12-04-2007, 00:09
like very much :)

elotsip
12-04-2007, 00:11
Very nice work there. Can't wait to see it progress even more.

Catferret
12-04-2007, 00:18
Man, that looks sweet. Keep it up Rictus, you're nearly there!

schoolcormorant
12-04-2007, 00:33
oh man, people like ;) :D

fantastic bit of work there

SC

Rictus
12-04-2007, 00:35
Thanks everybody. I am quite pleased how it is coming together at the moment.

Should be more tomorrow, unless the Blood Donor people take too much and i'm too weak to pick a knife up.

Strelok
12-04-2007, 00:46
Ahh yes, excellent work so far Rictus. Now that I see the high-pressure tanks and their mesh cover in their full glory, I both understand and like them even more. Can't wait to see the finished product gain a lick of paint.

big steve
12-04-2007, 13:12
can't wait to see this thing finished.

Rictus
14-04-2007, 00:24
Thanks both of you for the kind words. And Strelok I am looking forward to seeing it painted as well as at the moment I don't really know what I am going to do with the paint scheme.

Only a (very) small amount done today. Not sure why just one of those 'meh' days.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/P4130050.jpg

I have attached the hatch (yellow) and added the hinges. I have also put the frame around the exhaust (green). Cleaned up the GS at the top and bottom joints where the side panel met the styrene that was glued to the chimera panel near the exhaust. The GS round the exhaust frame is new so needs to be cleaned up when it has cured.

Haven't decided yet what to put between the newly glued on hatch and the gas cylinder storage.

Not sure how much will be done this weekend as I am really hoping to get my AI aircraft put together (all of whom will make an appearance in my other 40k Project Log).

bigbauske
14-04-2007, 17:24
Allright late to this thread but I like the work. THat is a lot of detaik your putting into that. It lloks great, really inpressize. I will watch this thread, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Rictus
21-04-2007, 23:53
Thanks bigbauske.

Done enough to justify an update:
Second track unit:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/track210407b.jpg
Added fire extinguisher & cable. Also riveted up everything except on the hatch.

The first track unit also had a few more rivets added (round the exhaust).

And on the hull:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/P4210005.jpg
Cleaned up and added dozer blade mount, aerial, smoke launchers and some gubbins (the brown bits). Also cleaned up the crane a bit and added a few more bits to it.

In all I added 63 more rivets today bringing the running total up to 335.

Catferret
22-04-2007, 00:30
Aye carumba! 335 rivets? Woah, that's just crazy man...

Catferret has a new project for plasticard goodness btw! He shall also learn to hate rivets but requires some drop pods and wants them to be as funktacular as Rictus's tanky thing.

Strelok
22-04-2007, 04:19
That's quite nice. I like the lights especially. I was tempted to suggest putting stubber barrels poking through the bulldozer at the points where the support struts attach to the dozer blade, but that doesn't totally work, I was just inspired.

Rictus
22-04-2007, 20:25
Aye carumba! 335 rivets? Woah, that's just crazy man...

Catferret has a new project for plasticard goodness btw! He shall also learn to hate rivets but requires some drop pods and wants them to be as funktacular as Rictus's tanky thing.

I actually added another nine last night so the total is now running at 344 rivets. Oh the joy! Looking forward to seeing the Drop Pods. 'Rictus's Tanky Thing' I like that, that may be a future project log (I have several planned....).

Thanks for the feedback Strelok.

jasevx
22-04-2007, 20:33
cant wait to see paint on this baby

irfpio
22-04-2007, 20:39
This is just getting better and better Rictus - your attention to detail, is what makes this projeckt great......

I guess your cant wait to see it painted, just like i cant wait to see my Leviathan painted.......:p

Good job

Cheers
Irfpio

Rictus
28-04-2007, 01:07
Ok, apologies for those actually following this Log but I have been a bit distracted/low on motivation this week so all I managed to do is glue the track sections in place. As this is a pretty weak update I also did a quick pic to show the vehicle next to a my Trojan.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/assy4.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/chimeratrojan.jpg

schoolcormorant
28-04-2007, 01:09
what did you use for the light on the trojan? just above the HB?

SC

Rictus
28-04-2007, 01:38
what did you use for the light on the trojan? just above the HB?

SC

It's just the old style IG spotlight that I cut down. I sanded the rear at an angle so it fitted onto the slope, this picture shows it a bit better:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Trojan/P5140026.jpg

Ooooh, 500th post....

Catferret
28-04-2007, 01:49
That looks so *******' cool! I'd be honoured to get shot at by that thing. :D

Strelok
28-04-2007, 03:35
YES, we finally get to see the track sections added. That thing looks awesome, decide on the tracks yet? Are you going to do the adeptus mechanicus symbol on each track segment? PLEASE?!?! Every fifth track?

jasevx
28-04-2007, 09:13
Thanks for the job on the Spotlight, just removed mine of my Russ's cos I hated the design, idea stolen!

Oh, one word for your AFV's, WOW!

Murag
28-04-2007, 11:43
All that fantastic detail work...

*drools*

This machine really has that unique look befitting an enginseer.

Strelok
28-04-2007, 17:11
I was thinking that if you wanted to embellish the front dozer blade you could add wire-cutters, the type of things you see on the top of helicopters just in front of the rotor base. That way the tank could roll through and cut up any remaining razor wire rather than simply flattening it. I just feel an engineering vehicle might do that sort of thing, to protect advancing infantry in a small way...

Also, on a more applicable note, are you going to put extra track segments and tarps and such on top of the track guards?

Rictus
28-04-2007, 17:27
That looks so *******' cool! I'd be honoured to get shot at by that thing. :D
And I'd be happy to shoot you with it:D

I was thinking that if you wanted to embellish the front dozer blade you could add wire-cutters, the type of things you see on the top of helicopters just in front of the rotor base. That way the tank could roll through and cut up any remaining razor wire rather than simply flattening it. I just feel an engineering vehicle might do that sort of thing, to protect advancing infantry in a small way...

Also, on a more applicable note, are you going to put extra track segments and tarps and such on top of the track guards?
It's a mabey on the wire cutters. I will have a think and do it if it will be easy, it's getting to the point where I really want to finish it. I never thought it would take this long....so very, very long...Originally I would of said no as this was going to be part of a Cadian based Armoured Comp but after getting rid of my Cadians in favour of Krieg this will be part of a Kreig Armoured Comp, and Kreig do so like their seiges.

There will be studd on the track guards and on top of the track sections. I will decide what to put on there when I get to that point. It'll almost certainly include track and/or tarps. The track guards are the FW ones which will need a bit of work first as they are quite warped and not great castings in a couple of places. Plus I forgot the Chimera guards has an area cut out for the lasguns so I need to fill a section in as well.

YES, we finally get to see the track sections added. That thing looks awesome, decide on the tracks yet? Are you going to do the adeptus mechanicus symbol on each track segment? PLEASE?!?! Every fifth track?
You have got to be joking! I don't think I could face doing that. No idea how I could even do an Admech symbol that small for a start, plus I ain't got the patience.

Thanks jasevx & Murag for your comments.

Strelok
28-04-2007, 17:53
Well, if you think of it, you'd only have to make one and then cast it like 4 or five times and apply :D Sorry, I'm over-ambitious and have become obsessed with new additions to your project. At this point, I as well can't wait to see it finished.

Rictus
29-04-2007, 00:02
Noooo, stop giving me ideas, I can't take anymore....I keep thinking 'what if...?' which just results in this thing taking even longer.....

Anyway, update time.

First up two pictures the first one isn't of the Chimera but a better pic of the Trojan light in case jasevx is interested.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/P4280006.jpg

Next up to strengthen the bond between the Trojan and this Chimera (as I stated way back in post one) I took a detail from the Trojan and replicated it onto the Chimera, as seen in this photographic piece of evidence:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/trojanchimerabit.jpg
You can also see a second fire extinguisher I hve added.

Another four pics to go but as they are all together I will put them in the next post rather than break them up.

Rictus
29-04-2007, 00:08
Next four....

I discovered the FW track guards don't fit this thing. This is due to the hull being built up. I am sure I can find a use for them somewhere else. I used the regualr track guards though I extended them a bit. Also removed the centre rivet on the cable stowage and replaced it with a wheel hub. All the track has been added. I have started to look at the stowage to go on the track guards but in the pics below they are just placed on the vehicle. I have realised I have another job to do though, as you can see in the pictures the dozer blade isn't wide enough due to me bulking the chimera out. So next job up is widening the dozer, may mean redoing the detail on it (bugger).

Removed one rivet, added eight. Running total now 351.

The pics:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/280407a.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/280407b.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/280407c.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/280407d.jpg

What does the public of Warseer think so far?

elotsip
29-04-2007, 00:17
That thing is just awesome! Looks so good. I can't wait to see it painted up!

Strelok
29-04-2007, 03:43
Aye, awesome it is. I say you just put two angled on the edges of the dozer as the extensions, this will serve to move dirt away from the front of the tank and allow it to pass through, so the dirt and foliage doesn't just pile up in front of the tank. Also, it will mean that most likely you won't have to totally re-do it.

Rictus
07-05-2007, 01:18
Not a hugely productive day but I do have something to show. I spent a fair bit of time extending the dozer blade. I thought about adding extentions that angled away but I went for the easier option of making it wider. Unfortunately I cocked up and I ended up with a dozer blade that still wasn't wide enough and another dozer blade that was useless as I had cut bits off it. This kinda summed up my weekend.

I did manage to do one thing though, I added the extra track sections on top of the track guards.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/trackbar1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/trackbar2.jpg

Another six rivets added....

schoolcormorant
07-05-2007, 01:26
wow.

she's really coming together nicely, the spare track holding mechanism looks fiddly ;)

SC

Rictus
07-05-2007, 02:02
wow.

she's really coming together nicely, the spare track holding mechanism looks fiddly ;)

SC

Thanks SC, it was a bit fiddly but not as much as I thought it was going to be. Especially after cocking up the dozer blade I had a feeling it was all going to go to hell but it just sort of fell together.

Not much left to do on her now so hopefully it will be finished soon (which'll be a relief....).

Strelok
07-05-2007, 06:26
Damn, he's about to finish, mut come up with hundreds of suggestions to offset his pace....

Just kidding, I can't wait to see this thing get some paint. I definitely want to see how the dozer came out.

Bra'tac
07-05-2007, 07:03
That Chimera has a lot of character, i realy like it.

Rictus
08-05-2007, 22:44
Damn, he's about to finish, mut come up with hundreds of suggestions to offset his pace....
Don't you dare!:D

That Chimera has a lot of character, i realy like it.
Thanks very much.

Got very little done over the weekend (I really was ill and not just being lazy, though many may not believe me...). And this evening I went to see This Is England which is a film I heartily recommend you all go and see, those that can get away with looking 18 and over that is, so no time to do much this evening either. I have though started on the Dozer blade. I took the dozer blade I cut up to extend the other one and is therefore useless and after some sawing, filing and a lot of sanding I have the back part of the new dozer that the new blade will attach to:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozer1.jpg
I have done a quick mockup out of card just to get a feeling of size to go for.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozer2.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozer3.jpg
Obviously the finished blade won't look like this as it will be bulked out and te bottom and top and have a lot of detailing added but it gives an idea of the size & shape.

The mockup is probably about five mil to wide, I may look at angling it abit more but I think I will start cutting up styrene and putting it together. I have enough styrene spare (due to very over estimating my styrene needs some months ago) to have a couple of attempts so if the first one turns out naff no worries.

C&C, suggestions....you know the drill so let me have it.

Strelok
08-05-2007, 23:06
mwahaha, another of my ideas incorporated to good effect, yay ;D God I can't wait to see this thing finally finished.

ancient god
08-05-2007, 23:54
Rictus, that Chimera is incredible. The amount of detail you've added without overdoing it is just... well incredible, as I said. ;) Keep it up!

And I'm going to be backing up Old Guard in pestering you incase you don't paint this! :p

Rictus
09-05-2007, 22:17
mwahaha, another of my ideas incorporated to good effect, yay ;D God I can't wait to see this thing finally finished.
Afraid you can't claim this one! I thought of the V like dozer as one of the original ideas but shelved it in favour of the easier route of using a regular IG Dozer blade, it's only because I screwed up when I had to extend the dozer balde that I decided to start from scratch and go with the new shaped dozer blade.

Rictus, that Chimera is incredible. The amount of detail you've added without overdoing it is just... well incredible, as I said. ;) Keep it up!

And I'm going to be backing up Old Guard in pestering you incase you don't paint this! :p
Thanks very much. It'll get painted eventually....I need to finish the damn thing first though.

I decided to continue with the mock up before diving into styrene.

Once again this is very rough but it'll give an idea of what the finished dozer should look like. The 'teeth' will be much more 'refined', the ones on here were just quickly cut, the finished ones will be like the ones on the track units and be more shallower and angled (see insert).
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozer4.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozer5.jpg

Someone has suggested incorporating a mine sweeper like the FW one, I like the idea but don't think I could recreate the form that well but I may put a cutout in the front of the blade and have launchers to fire clearing mortars(?) like the FW version.

Thoughts, ideas etc? I'll hold off starting the styrene version incase someone pops up with a better idea (so there is incentive for you all....).

schoolcormorant
09-05-2007, 22:35
it;s normally a chain whip i think, it whips up the earth in front to set off mines.
i think that would look really cool. it's basically a spool with chains hanging off that spin and swipe the ground. they used them on D-Day :)

SC

Rictus
09-05-2007, 22:58
it;s normally a chain whip i think, it whips up the earth in front to set off mines.
i think that would look really cool. it's basically a spool with chains hanging off that spin and swipe the ground. they used them on D-Day :)

SC

I know of mine-clearing flails (system using spinning chains) and the alternative of rollers in front of the tracks (both systems were used during WWII) but I prefer using the method as on the FW minesweeper as it looks more 'techy' and I think fits in with an Enginseers chimera better.

Strelok
09-05-2007, 23:13
Damn, I thought I could slip that one in there even though the v-shaped dozer is quite common on engineering vehicles.... oh well. How about something like a phalanx gun to be used as anti-mine (some burst cannons or assault cannons with big belts of ammo to shoot into the ground and detonate any mines. Could also work as a pintle mounted stubber or SB in a pinch. Seems like an extravagant waste to me, but something perfectly viable for the guard or the AdMech

Rictus
11-05-2007, 00:16
Damn, I thought I could slip that one in there even though the v-shaped dozer is quite common on engineering vehicles.... oh well. How about something like a phalanx gun to be used as anti-mine (some burst cannons or assault cannons with big belts of ammo to shoot into the ground and detonate any mines. Could also work as a pintle mounted stubber or SB in a pinch. Seems like an extravagant waste to me, but something perfectly viable for the guard or the AdMech

No where to mount a gun. Thinking some grenade/mortar type launcher as they will be quite small and can be mounted inside the dozer blade itself. I am going to start on the styrene version tomorrow and I will see what it looks like as it takes shape.

Strelok
11-05-2007, 01:37
As usual, I'll be anxiously awaiting. Just as I assume you are, I'm finally waiting for this thing to be finished and ready for paint. I'm starting to think you only convert things and have so many additive ideas they never get to be painted.

Rictus
12-05-2007, 21:07
I'm starting to think you only convert things and have so many additive ideas they never get to be painted.
I don't know what you mean, i'm completely innocent...

Started on the new dozer, as it currently stands:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozerwip1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozerwip2.jpg
The top piece is too big, going to redo that (basically the new one is without the yellow area). Next job is to add the angled bit at the front.

After that I'll add GS to the gaps, clean it up and then rivet it all up (oh the joy) and add some wear & tear. Once that is all done I'll attach it to the mounting piece and then detail up the back of it. Hoepfully by end tomorrow it'll be all sorted.

You may notice that there is no mine clearance type thing, basically in the end I couldn't be arsed.

C&C welcome as always.

irfpio
12-05-2007, 21:14
That Dozer is looking really good.... maybe an eagle in the middle???

Cheers
Irfpio

Rictus
12-05-2007, 21:17
That Dozer is looking really good.... maybe an eagle in the middle???

Cheers
Irfpio

Nice idea, I've got some FW brass eagles that might fit in there. I'll try that later.

Catferret
13-05-2007, 01:48
Seconded for the aquilla on the dozer blade. Although you might want to see how it looks up in one corner of the thing rather than central.

Just a thought.

DaCone2
13-05-2007, 12:23
That looks fantastic mate!
Why's it green on the one side?

Rictus
13-05-2007, 13:50
Why's it green on the one side?

Eh? You've lost me:confused:

jasevx
13-05-2007, 13:52
Rictus, I'll answer that,

its Green Stuff where Rictus has filled gaps/seals.

DaCone2
13-05-2007, 20:35
Aaaaaaaaaah. I see.
Makes sense really.

Rictus
13-05-2007, 23:58
Rictus, I'll answer that,

its Green Stuff where Rictus has filled gaps/seals.

Aaaaaaaaaah. I see.
Makes sense really.

Oh I see...I thought you meant why was half of the dozer blade green. I kept looking but all I could think was 'it's all white, what the hell is he looking at...?'.

Didn't get a huge amount done in the end, mainly due to taking one of my nieces to the cinema (i have to put the work in to claim 'best uncle' status...though being her only uncle you would of thought I had that staus by default).

I did add the angled sections to the base, another thin strip to the top, the thin strips to the angled section, some GS + clean up and a bit of damage to the front. After spending half an hour trying to find them I put two FW eagles on the front (only blu tac at the mo holding them on). I agreed with Catferret that the two, one each side, looks better than one in the middle.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozerwip4.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozerwip5.jpg

Tomorrow I will clean it up a bit, add some wear and tear, add rivets and then start working on attaching it to the mounting piece.

Thoughts, comments, recipes etc?

doghouse
14-05-2007, 00:11
I absolutely love the detailing on that Chimera!
Superb!

schoolcormorant
14-05-2007, 00:24
i like the two eagles approach, wasn't expecting it actually, it's more interesting, put some bullet damage across it, you know, an upward diagonal line of about 4-5.
i love how it looks!

SC

Strelok
14-05-2007, 01:09
That dozer blade looks like it took quite a bit of time, but it looks excellent. The twin eagles look good. I can't wait to see the completed tank.

fattdex
14-05-2007, 02:14
wowaeewa!
I was going to make an admech chimera with the COD icon on top too ages ago, but I think this will blow it away I don't think I will even bother :P

Catferret
14-05-2007, 02:57
That wasn't quite what I meant but it looks better than my idea anyway...

I was thinking use just one aquilla but put it in the top corner of just one side. It works better on single blade dozers though rather than double ones so your idea is better!

At least I sorta helped.

Anyway, paintitpaintitpaintitpaintitpaintit!

Rictus
14-05-2007, 22:23
I absolutely love the detailing on that Chimera!
Superb!
Thanks very much.

i like the two eagles approach, wasn't expecting it actually, it's more interesting, put some bullet damage across it, you know, an upward diagonal line of about 4-5.
i love how it looks!

SC
Bullets are a must.

That dozer blade looks like it took quite a bit of time, but it looks excellent. The twin eagles look good. I can't wait to see the completed tank.
It took a fair amount, I have a feeling it be a bit longer as the rear will take even longer than the front.

wowaeewa!
I was going to make an admech chimera with the COD icon on top too ages ago, but I think this will blow it away I don't think I will even bother :P
If there is one thing better than one Admech Chimera it's two Admech Chimeras so go for it.

That wasn't quite what I meant but it looks better than my idea anyway...

I was thinking use just one aquilla but put it in the top corner of just one side. It works better on single blade dozers though rather than double ones so your idea is better!

At least I sorta helped.

Anyway, paintitpaintitpaintitpaintitpaintit!
Help indeed you did. I do like the look of two eagles and I wouldn't of thought of doing it like it is if you hadn't of planted the seed. And I can't paintitpaintitpaintitpaintitpaintit! till I finish itfinish itfinish itfinish it!:D

Right, update time. Done a bit more tonight - my favourite job. Rivets.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozerwip6.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozerwip7.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Guard/Chimeras/newdozerwip8.jpg
So I have added some more wear & tear + battle damage. And then there is the riveting. There is 92 rivets on the front of that thing. That's right, 92 rivets. I will give an update to the Rivet Count when I find the previous count somewhere in the thread.

Don't you just love an evening of long, hard, rivet action?

Note to self: Get a life ASAP.