PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually own...

templar1013
24-12-2006, 02:06
Does anyone actually own a full space marine chapter? Seems ridiculous to me but you never know...

Vaktathi
24-12-2006, 02:12
someone had a pic of a full Blood Angels chapter somewhere, I can't remember where it was now though, they had a full 1000 marines (counting things like marines in tanks manning storm bolters in cupola's and those in Land speeders, etc...)

redbaron998
24-12-2006, 02:23
its on Ex Libra Mortis

max the dog
24-12-2006, 02:24
I've got a full battle company minus a couple vehicles but a whole chapter is a long way off. Years ago White Dwarf issue #195 painted the entire Ultramarine chapter. It took two full two page spreads to show them all.

Shardik
24-12-2006, 02:26
the blood angels chapter is also in an old WD, i think it was number 300

templar1013
24-12-2006, 02:26
..wow...thats big! Of course it is a chapter...

max the dog
24-12-2006, 03:12
The Ultramarines chapter picture is already out of date. It's over 10 years old and there are some units that aren't even sold anymore. There's some heavy weapon firing platform in the second picture that looks like something out of the Eldar codex and some tracked mini-tank with a gun that only comes up to a miniatures waist. Not to mention there is only one landspeeder, no bikes, no razorbacks and the only heavy weapon on any terminator is a heavy flamer.

Gaebriel
24-12-2006, 05:55
Well, I know of people who own more than one company, and are still buying. Then there is/was some polish GW-Manager (higher up) I think, who was said to own 20,000 points of Blood Angles, which probably wouldn't constitute the whole chapter, but might come close. Then, as mentioned above, there is this (http://www.exlibrismortis.org/).

Latro_
24-12-2006, 10:26
we have a guy that coems in our store that has a whole dark angels chapter, all metal shoulderpads, FW bits on the tanks everything. hehe none of it painted though.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
24-12-2006, 12:46
Yes, I have a whole chapter....infantry/tanks everything!

In epic scale ;)

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
24-12-2006, 12:50
Well, I know of people who own more than one company, and are still buying. Then there is/was some polish GW-Manager (higher up) I think, who was said to own 20,000 points of Blood Angles, which probably wouldn't constitute the whole chapter, but might come close. Then, as mentioned above, there is this (http://www.exlibrismortis.org/).

yes his name is Szyndler and it is full chapter with tunderhawk fully/poorly/ painted

bratbag
24-12-2006, 13:05
My mate is working on it. He has the entire deathwing, half the ravenwing and 2 companies, so just 6 and a half companies to go :eek:

Corr, just picturing that much green makes me want to go paint more orks to keep up.

mark_logue
25-12-2006, 08:18
Sounds like a more reasonable project for Epic players :) then you could paint them within a much shorter time-frame.

Hellebore
25-12-2006, 08:27
It's unfortunate than no other armies really have a 'finish' point.

When you collect 1000 marines and ancilliary characters/vehicles, you've pretty much finished an army. I suppose due to the type of personality wargaming attracts, collecting an army never looks 'complete'. Collecters like having Completeness.

I wish I could say the same for an ork army, or an Eldar army.

How much of GW's miniature income is just from people buying marines because they are the most easily attainable Complete army available?

I've got a whole Salamander Battle Company (4th), and am working on Tu'Shan's Fire Drakes, repleat with 24 land raiders :cries:

Hellebore

Sekhmet
25-12-2006, 09:07
The 3rd ed Marine Codex had a picture of the Ultramarines chapter in the inside cover. But it had old models.

A finishing point for another army could be a Tau hunter cadre or an entire IG infantry company.

spikedog
25-12-2006, 09:31
I'm fully aware this may seem a stupid question but how many marines are in a company? and how many companys are in an army?

How about vehicles/thunderhawks etc?

Sekhmet
25-12-2006, 10:11
~100 per company, 10 companies per chapter.

Ardathair
25-12-2006, 11:43
A few years ago, at a Winter Open Day, I saw that GW still had the Ultra Marines Chapter pictured in WD #195 and 3rd ed. codex in their Nottingham Museum. Probably still do, they just don't show it off very often.

Though it it troop and Rhino Heavy, they only have 3 each of Razorbacks, Predators, and Whirlwinds. Fairly light on Scouts and Dreadnoughts Too. There are also 2 Thunderhawks.

At one point I heard that GW was selling a package containing everything in the pictured chapter. I imagine that these were bought by groups, each chipping in and dividing up the package as soon as it arrived.

If anyone knows of someone who bought it and did not divide it up, it would be nice to hear about it.

Aegius
25-12-2006, 16:32
I'm nowhere near a chapter yet, but my eagle warriors have the 4th company built and nearly painted plus support from 1st, 8th and 10 companies.

Gen.Steiner
25-12-2006, 16:36
I've an Epic 40K Chapter... :angel:

But in 40K all I have is the 2nd Battle Company of the Righteous Fists plus part of the 1st, 10th and 8th Companies. Working on building it up tho'.

As for 'finished armies', Imperial Guard armies can be finished at the Company level (of around 120 men) or even the Battalion level (about 4-500 men) or, if you were utterly insane, the Regimental level...!

Flame Boy
25-12-2006, 20:30
Last I heard of the complete Ultramarine's chapter, it was at the tiny little GW Hammersmith, as the original GW hammersmith was apparently the first GW store, so I heard. Not sure if the chapter is still there, as it's been over 3 years since I went to GW Hammersmith, so it could be long gone. I hear from one of the store guys there that they were going to replace all the old rhinos and land raiders with the newer models, but I find that a bit hard to believe personally.

Wish I could be more helpful, but all I know is that is WAS at GW Hammersmith, along with one of the Chaos Warlod Titans from the Emperor's Palace diorama, which was looking rather batter by the time I saw it there. Most of the details around the feet had been broken off.

Corporal Chaos
25-12-2006, 20:53
I own enough Marine mini's to make a chapter, but they are broken down into different battle groups and spread across several chapters, DA BA SW Vanilla etc. I have the tanks and other vehicles as well but not nearly to the company level or even the chapter level. I have been doing this A LONG time. Rogue Trader anyone?

Ardathair
26-12-2006, 10:54
[QUOTE=Flame Boy;1171045]I hear from one of the store guys there that they were going to replace all the old rhinos and land raiders with the newer models, but I find that a bit hard to believe personally.QUOTE]

I find this hard to believe aswell.

A.) There were 10 Land Raiders and 70+ Rhinos. [Is GW going to scrape that much in inventory {not to mention time painting} just to update the look?]

B.) Terminators have gone to a larger scale, and all the Troopers and Scouts have been remodeled. They fit in even less than the Rhinos.

If GW were to revisit the Ultra Marine Chapter, or do another Chapter; they would be better off mothballing the previous one and starting from scratch.