PDA

View Full Version : Starting Ogres (first 1,000)

CommanderRoby
24-12-2006, 04:34
I have to just put to gather the command squad and 2 rhinos for my marines so in the mein time I was thinking about the Ogres i wanted to start and came up with this. Now i know that the squads are big but I wanted to make an army with bada** squads and no gnoblars.

Heroes
>Bruiser- Great weapon, heavy armor, luck gnoblar [147]

Core
>6 Bulls- Ogre clubs, light armor, Crusher, bellower, standard bearer [278]
>6 Bulls- Ogre clubs, light armor, Crusher, bellower, standard bearer [278]

Special
>4 lead belchers- cannon, light armor [220]

Rare
>1 Gorger- Teeth and claws [75]

Jhayden
24-12-2006, 05:28
Sadly your army has around the same number of models my high elf army has at 1000 points. :(

Also, light armor is pretty much useless for your Bulls and Lead Belchers. I would get rid of the light armor and switch them with Ironfists. If you really need the light armor bonus it's there. If you want the additional attack it's there. a 6+ save isn't going to save you that often anyway, and str 3 bows against toughness 4 isn't anything to worry about.

Also if possible, take off a few points from the extra weapons or armor and give your leader a cathayan longsword and a brace of pistols. 2 shots you can use in combat are awesome, and an with his strength + armor piercing with the longsword no one will be able to take armor tests against him. Plus he'll have a slightly higher init and better WS. Not bad for 8 points.

Tate
24-12-2006, 05:35
Big unit ogres are fun, but I think you really need to go MSU to win competitive games (especially now that you need 10 for a rank bonus).

I would take 4 units of 3 ogres with musicians, 2 units of 2 belchers, your bruiser and the gorger. Thats nearly 1k and I think you can add ironfists and LA on your guys to make up the pts.

No standards is tough, but its less VPs for your opponent. Bait, flee, and flank. Thats the whole deal with ogres. Its tough to do well, but if you do its downright scary. 6 units is a lot in 1k, that should be to your advantage.

CommanderRoby
24-12-2006, 19:35
Ok so i found a link to Avians Ogre page and useing that and what you 2 said (thank you) I think i made the list better.

Heros
>Bruiser- Great weapon, heavy armor [142]

Core
>4 Bulls with Ogre club [140]

Special
>2 leadbelchers with light armour [110]
>2 leadbelchers with light armour [110]

Rare
>1 Gorger [75]

smquinn
26-12-2006, 06:02
definatly go with 4 units of 3 bulls. maybe even see about getting a big block of gnoblars as a diversion/flankers. i used to never use them but now i love them.

kyussinchains
26-12-2006, 12:07
I'd drop a unit of leadbelchers, increase the other one to 3 models, then use the points to upgrade two of your bull units to ironguts

CommanderRoby
27-12-2006, 14:11
Thank you kyussinchains as im going to pick up the army book in a couple days i had only been able to make this list from the store copy and other peoples list. Is this whats your thinking? im going to check the points tomarrow but it is under 1000 right?

Heros
>Bruiser- Great weapon, heavy armor

Core
>4 Bulls with Ogre club
>4 Bulls with Ogre club
>4 Ironguts with great weapon and heavy armour
>4 Ironguts with great weapon and heavy armour

Special
>3 leadbelchers with light armour

Rare
>1 Gorger [75]

kyussinchains
27-12-2006, 15:30
oops, not quite, I for some reason worked out the cost for an irongut at 40 rather than 48 points

you'd need to drop the leadbelchers down to 2 models to get in under 1000 (you'd get in at 991 with that)

sorry about that!

Orcboy_Phil
28-12-2006, 12:19
Still with thoose nine points spare you ca get a longsword :)