PDA

View Full Version : How to purchase REAL OLD Citadel miniatures??

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
24-12-2006, 13:21
Hi guys,

recently I have received one of the original 1990 Citadel Titan Crew Moderatus I had won on ebay.

After checking solelegends.com I have seen there would be many old models that would be great features to every scenario-based game.

How can I order those old miniatures? GW's online-shops don't features them (not even in the classic section)..

Kjell
24-12-2006, 13:39
Then they are out of production, I'm afraid. That sort of thing turns up on eBay once in a while and if you're lucky you might have some long-time players in the area who have them for sale. Another good thing to check are gaming conventions where stores make an appearance (auctions!) or even this site's trading section. :)

t-tauri
24-12-2006, 13:40
Ebay or trade with someone who has them. They're out of production because GW has lost/broken/misplaced/destroyed/can't be bothered to find* the relevant moulds.

*delete as applicable

susu.exp
24-12-2006, 14:15
I´d still try mail order. You can use their hotline or their email and ask if model so and so is availabe (remember the product number and the catalogue issue). That a model is not in the online store may also just mean that there is so little demand for that mini that they didn´t bother putting it up there, but the mould may still be functional so they can cast up some or even have some lying around from the last time somebody ordered some exotic mini.
Using the UK trolls is usually better than others, because the old molds are in the UK and they have closer ties with the factory.

t-tauri
24-12-2006, 14:25
Be prepared for a very frustrating phone call. The vast majority of stuff on SoL is completely unavailable from GW particularly the things like the old titan crew from the Rogue Trader era.

The general plan from GW seems to be if it's not in a collector's guide or on the website you're going to be phenomenally lucky to get it through mail order. They are bringing some old moulds into use through the vault (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301941&orignav=301941) on the UK website but most of the listings on SoL are completely oop. While a lot of stuff listed on ebay as oop is still available from GW it's not as overused a descriptor as "propainted".

susu.exp
24-12-2006, 14:38
That´s true, but the very existence of the vault shows that they have a lot of working moulds, where the models are not shown on the website. A lot of models will never make the vault, because they require plastics that are OOP (all those metal Orks that needed plastic arms for instance).
I think trying won´t hurt (and the OP being from Germany, where the mail order couldn´t get all the UK stuff for a long time means he should be used to frustrating calls to MO, I certainly am...) and finding out you just paid a premium price for a supposedly OOP model on ebay, when it would´ve been available for a fraction through MO would be one of the most frustrating things I can think of...

Shadowseer Crofty
24-12-2006, 14:38
try going to an independant store like wargames emporium (i dunno what others do second hand minis, but wargames emporium definitely does), i went into the one near meadowhall the other day and saw a chaos dwarf death rocket, and some squats.

t-tauri
24-12-2006, 14:47
That´s true, but the very existence of the vault shows that they have a lot of working moulds, where the models are not shown on the website. A lot of models will never make the vault, because they require plastics that are OOP (all those metal Orks that needed plastic arms for instance).They've got loads of moulds for all sorts of oop miniatures. It's just not cost effective for them to go and dig them out, clean them up and then cast it. Then pick out the one figure you want out of the ten-twenty different ones on the mould and throw the rest of the castings back into the melting pot. Waste of time and effort from a GW view point. A few man hours work for the profit on a three pound mini.

The ones they've listed are the ones they sell enough of to actually bother keeping the moulds in use to fill the picking bins or that they've rotated in through the vault.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
24-12-2006, 15:12
Thanks guys.

I already checked the vault -- it is a joke.

I know they are out of production, but someone told me once ago, that while visiting Warhammer World you would be able to purchase ANY mini of GWs range since the beginning and they would cast it for you directly (although this is hardly to believe`).

Waiting for an ebay auction would take a huge amount of time I don't want to waste. Is there something like a second-hand-mini-auction-website ?

Lord Malek The Red Knight
24-12-2006, 15:51
i second the suggestion of calling UK MailOrder (although checking ebay cant hurt either) - i called them once to try and get some old models, and although they didnt have what i wanted, they suggested something similar, that i thought was OOP (wasnt on the website, even when Searching). they had the names, codes and the prices (which werent extravagent - they had only increased at the normal rate) but didnt have any pics - they had to describe the models from memory! it was also great to get nostalgic and chat about the old mini's and why i wanted them - gave me lots of inspiration. :)

so never say "never"!
(but be prepared to check ebay... in fact, even check it if GW still makes them...:p)

~ Tim

susu.exp
24-12-2006, 16:29
Thanks guys.

I already checked the vault -- it is a joke.

Well, it´s only been going for 2 months. And if they kept up the pace, the vault would be pretty huge after a short while, about 30 old models per week... Hmm...

I know they are out of production, but someone told me once ago, that while visiting Warhammer World you would be able to purchase ANY mini of GWs range since the beginning and they would cast it for you directly (although this is hardly to believe`).

It´s only half wrong. You can purchase any mini they CAN produce, including stuff that is neither on the shelf, nor in the online store. But no classic battlewagon (broken mould, I think they´re stil kicking themselves over that, because the kit would still sell quite well and they haven´t been able to cast them for what? 8 years or so?). But you can get the very same stuff through MO, the difference being that when you go to Warhammer world, you won´t have to wait for ages, you´ll get the model the same day.

Whatever you do, give the trolls a call. I´ve sucessfully ordered some Squats from Mail order in 2005, even after the famous JJ forum entry. If they can cast them, they´ll deliver, at least in my experience.

The Emperor
24-12-2006, 16:30
Go through Stuff of Legends, write down the codes for what you like, and call and ask. I've ordered plenty of Rogue Trader era Space Marines from GW which weren't shown on their website. You just gotta hope they have a couple left over.

t-tauri
24-12-2006, 17:27
I know they are out of production, but someone told me once ago, that while visiting Warhammer World you would be able to purchase ANY mini of GWs range since the beginning and they would cast it for you directly (although this is hardly to believe`).That was a few years ago when they would cast up anything they had a mould for. The new policy is basically the one I outlined above-if it's not on the site or in a collector's guide you aren't getting it :cries: . Try a phonecall but unless you get a very helpful troll I wouldn't hold out much hope. Also many of the codes shown on SoL aren't current.

Waiting for an ebay auction would take a huge amount of time I don't want to waste. Is there something like a second-hand-mini-auction-website ?Try a want ad (http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21) in the warseer trading section section or join the collecting citadel miniatures (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CollectingCitadelMiniatures/) yahoo group and try there. Though most people there will be wanting trades for similarly old minis.

Hobgoblyn
24-12-2006, 18:25
Instead of trying to get ahold of the old models, in some cases it might be better to check the currently available range of models and then figuring out how to convert them.

For instance, there is no official Adeptus Arbites models to my knowledge, but plenty of people have used Cadians and Space Marine Scouts to make them. If you know what your Titan Crew looks like, then you know what kind of base and bits you need to have to make something that looks similar, right?

Brother Othorio
24-12-2006, 18:50
Instead of trying to get ahold of the old models, in some cases it might be better to check the currently available range of models and then figuring out how to convert them.

that would be my advice aswell.. that said Forgeworld do a set of titan crew
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/titancrew.htm
tho somewhat exhorbitantly priced at £12 for 3 men..

For instance, there is no official Adeptus Arbites models to my knowledge i'm a bit miffed at that actually, there is an arbite range for Necromunda which was released like a year or so before Codex:Witchhunters, but they decided to limit Arbites in the WH Codex to Shotguns meaning you have to buy a couple of patrol boxes to get a usable squad (since it comes with a mix of shotguns and boltguns)

Hobgoblyn
24-12-2006, 19:00
I am surprised that if they Arbites box they produced was half (or more than half) bolt guns they didn't ammend it?
couldn't you just greenstuff larger barrels onto the boltguns or simple call them 'sawed off' shotguns?

The Emperor
24-12-2006, 20:10
For instance, there is no official Adeptus Arbites models to my knowledge

They made a squad of them during 2nd edition. I still got them, as a matter of fact. Six men, five with shotguns (including their leader), one with a grenade launcher.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
24-12-2006, 20:19
@Brother Othorio: I know that FW produces some Titanicus. I need the old ones to get more different models for a project....

@Hobgoblyn: Currently there are even three different Arbites sets available. The original from 1990, the 2nd edition ones with shotguns and the latest enforcers for Necromunda...

Please stay on topic: How to purchase old minis?

eleveninches
24-12-2006, 20:56
i think mail order ought to do most old models even if they dont feature them on their website.

Zedric
24-12-2006, 23:58
Go through Stuff of Legends, write down the codes for what you like, and call and ask. I've ordered plenty of Rogue Trader era Space Marines from GW which weren't shown on their website. You just gotta hope they have a couple left over.
Seconded. I have ordered a slew of RT-era miniatures via mail order without issue.

onnotangu
25-12-2006, 01:00
post an ad on bartertown. i've gotten a bunch of models from there

max the dog
25-12-2006, 01:43
I ebay all of my Rouge Trader era miniatures. Right now I've only got 6 but I use them for my veteran squads. It just seems right that way.