PDA

View Full Version : Are Rdical Daemon Hunters Good?

Sir Phobos
24-12-2006, 19:43
I was thinking of making a Radical Daemon Hunters army but I was wondering with no Grey Knights if it can be successful? My army would be something like this Iquisitor Lord with 3 man retinue, 3 daemonhosts 2 10 man squads of storm troopers(forgeworld Death Korps Grenadiers), an inducted guard platoon for at and staying power and then finally a big old Leman Russ Battle Tank. The idea for the army is that it is an Inquisitor and his personal army. Does it sound like it can work?

Helicon_One
24-12-2006, 20:02
Avoiding the Grey Knight point sink is probably an advantage... from what you describe so far it looks more or less like an Imperial Guard force with some Malleus tagged on rather than the other way around, so if you can make IG work you can make this work too.

Tim

EVIL INC
24-12-2006, 21:07
You can always do the radical army and use reguler marines and equipment then the extra gaurd and tanks. That way you can still have the armor 3 guys. If you want to go REALLY radical, just use chaos marine models (for appearances only) and proper chaosy paint jobs and mark off all imperial insignias and call him a traitor Inquisitor. Very fluffy and can make a great theme that can used in campaigns

Eulenspiegel
24-12-2006, 22:21
Could work, as Helicon said, what you have in mind actually sounds and looks very much like a Grenadiers Imperial Guard army.
It "could" work - mechanised Guard armies are not easy to play and win with.

For background, Iīd avoid EVILīs suggestion of calling them "traitor". The thing with radical Inquisitors is that they still think they do the Emperorīs work, and even may still be doing it. At the same time they reek of chaos, show early signs of mutation and may well be beyond the point where any "loyal" follower would have any dealings with them.

EVIL INC
24-12-2006, 22:26
True, that was not a good word for me to use and the army I suggested would be very rare. Even those who did have chaos marines working with them could believe themselves to be "undercover" or plan to kill them "afterwards". Radical or heretic or excommunicate or even invent your own radical type faction name. Or, just use them as a reguler radical who doesnt use grey knights. You gotta forgive me, I am a die hard chaos man and am constantly trying to get new "recruits". LOL:D

Angelus Mortis
25-12-2006, 02:59
You know, Relictors regularly team up with Hereti...whoops...I mean Radical Inquisitors. ;)

zealousheretic
25-12-2006, 03:17
A friend of mine ran a radical DH list for a long time.

Daemonhosts never struck me as a great unit; they're too random to be useful, and seemed to badly hurt him as often as they greatly helped, with the majority of cases involving them doing very little.

A single Russ is useful as a bullet magnet, that's about it. As the only scary tank on your side of the board, it will attract a lot of heavy weapon fire, and while it's fairly durable, it's not difficult to prevent a tank from shooting back. It may not die, but I wouldn't count on doing a lot of damage with it.

I've never figured out what Inquisitorial retinues are meant to be good at. The inquisitor himself, even heavily kitted out, is pretty puny in assault, the retinue isn't exactly an assault powerhouse either, and most of the benefits for the henchmen seem pretty situational.

Inquisitorial Storm Troopers seem like pretty good basic troops.

Your main problem it seems to me, would be a lack of good assault troops coupled with an army that can't quite manage the wall of bullets or mobility that lets the IG or Tau mitigate the lack of serious CC punch.

nightgant98c
25-12-2006, 04:02
Retinues are best at taking shooting wounds for the inquisitor.

Skyth
25-12-2006, 04:13
I've used a marine-backed radical army pretty successfully (Went 6-0 at a tournament). Radicals work best when backed by Marines. Puritans work best backed by guard.

However, Radicals are the more powerful of the lists :)

Angelus Mortis
25-12-2006, 11:43
I've used a marine-backed radical army pretty successfully (Went 6-0 at a tournament). Radicals work best when backed by Marines. Puritans work best backed by guard.

However, Radicals are the more powerful of the lists :)Actually, I have found that Puritans work best without any allies. The normal list is a pretty darned nice one. If you start to add too much IG then it would actually be more useful to take an IG list with DH allies.

Axel
25-12-2006, 12:31
>Actually, I have found that Puritans work best without any allies.

Inducted Guards are no allies, they are part of the main list.

Angelus Mortis
25-12-2006, 13:08
>Actually, I have found that Puritans work best without any allies.

Inducted Guards are no allies, they are part of the main list.

Ummm...no...IG is called inducted, Space Marines are called allied. This is simply a semantics issue, as nobody inducts or demands anything from Space Marines, not even Inquisitors. If you take a look on page 21 it is very clear that IG are not part of the main list.

Feor
26-12-2006, 04:15
It's also quite possible that there are full fledged Chaos Worshipping radical Inquisitors out there who have decided that their own damnation is a small price to pay if they can use Chaos against itself and help safeguard the Imperium.

That's the whole concept behind my Chaos Space Marine army.

ss_cherubael
26-12-2006, 04:35
At the moment the army i run is a radical army and it comes in somewhere between 1500 and 2000 pts. The way i run it is a guard army with allied demon hunters as only having access to one LRMBT is a pain in the **** for an army like this. I still take a tanked up inquisitor with a nice big retinue full of power weapons and put them in a chimera and i also take 2 to 3 demon hosts as i love the whole idea of them....I agree that they are not game winners due to the fickleness of them but they can be a hoot!
Radical armies are more centred on the idea of a theme based army and are not really expected to win all the games they play if you get what i mean. But yes they are stacks of fun and are a very personalised army so go for it.