PDA

View Full Version : Armoured Company?

Sir Phobos
24-12-2006, 22:29
I just had some basic quesitons about an armoured company, firstly are they a legal list? I know on Games Workshops website it says that they were legal but they might not be in 2007? Also do you guys hate playing agianst it? I dont want to play an army that is not fun to play agianst? because then no one would want to play me. Finally are they a competative army list? I mean can they gold thier own agiant most 2000 point armies? I know most of you are thinking it depends on the general but if they are to powerful I would not want to play them either. Thanks for any help you guys can bring.

Vaktathi
24-12-2006, 22:36
As far as I can tell, the AC is still a legal list. The AC list is not that cheesy, there are many counters to IG tanks, and they lack large numbers of infantry, so each unit is relativley valuable. They can certainly hold their own against most lists, but are also very vulnerable to certain lists as well. I don't think any experienced player would call Cheese on an AC.

Morgrad
25-12-2006, 05:06
I hate playing them because it's a win for me before setup even begins. AC simply has no answer to tyranids - pie plates can only kill so many little guys per turn, and they're basically useless against MCs.

As a Tyranid player, I hate playing against AC because they're not competitive - at all. I would have to deliberately make a list that couldn't hurt AC well at all to even come close to a competetive game, and that would be pretty boring.

That being said, I assume AC lists that aren't pure-tanks can be pretty fun, and a bit of a pain the in the ass for my nids (which = fun). But, I have yet to see an AC list that wasn't nothing but battle-tanks, though - so I'm not holding my breath for the guys-in-chimera version.

starlight
25-12-2006, 05:12
Fun to play, fun to play against.:D, But dat's dem Ladz for yuh.:D The only real down-side is that they can be a *win-big/lose-big* army against some opponents.

As to *legality*, GW has restricted them from some of *their* competitions, but as always that's up to the organiser. I've never seen them turned down anywhere I've played.

One day I'll get enough tanks that don't get Looted:evilgrin: and I'll give the AC a whirl.:D

Da Reddaneks
25-12-2006, 05:30
i actually read this post because i saw that the once great poster starlight graced it with his presence. However, as far as Armored Company is concerned its the "grover dill" (as this is christmas eve, see "A Christmas Story" for reference) of warhammer 40k. the greasy little toady of the bullies of 40k. Stay away from it if you want good games. but if you just want to win and winning is what is most important then that or iron warriors is the army for you.

Reflex
25-12-2006, 08:23
the problem with AC's is that there is no infantry at all...

so if you do go for one its always goof to have a few armoured fist squads.

but IMHO you should still be able to take a guard platoon..

Arch-Traitor Horus
25-12-2006, 09:18
my mate used to play my dark eldar army all the time till i put 20 dark lances in it :P really only thing that can stop you are lascannon heavy armys

Axel
25-12-2006, 12:26
The problem with an Armoured Company is that it is not from the "Codex-Canon", but rather WD/CA, and that in many games the setup decides the outcome - more then with other armies. If one is weak on anti-tank you can spare yourself the game. You CAN have fun with that army, but the chances that you will get a boring and frustrating game (for one side) are considerably larger then with other armies. If your opponent knows you come with an AC that helps a lot.

Gaebriel
25-12-2006, 13:24
once great
once great?

ShadowKitana
25-12-2006, 13:33
I refused to play them with my Thousand Sons. Too much of a one sided battle.

Kahadras
25-12-2006, 13:41
Never played against an armoured company. I've seen one in action against a Mechanised Deathwing army before (wasn't pretty). A lack of lazcannon/ap 2 stuff saw the three Land raiders survive the battle and the Terminators just smashed the Leman Russ with a combernation of power fists and thunder hammers.

I always see AC as a bit of an annoying army. They will beat some armies hands down and get quite easily whipped by others. My current Space Wolf army would hate playing against that much armour due to a slight lack of anti tank weapons.

Kahadras

Sarge
25-12-2006, 13:45
They're nice, but if you want a real good force, go for a mech force using the standard IG Codex, nothing like rolling over those Tyranid monsters with heavy flamer, heavy bolter, heavy stubber, multi-laser, hellgun, and lasgun; throw in some meltaguns/flamers for some good measure, and you got yourself a decent force. Especially if you take Storm Trooper/Grenadier heavy forces, may not be as numerous as the infantry lists, but with all that armor infront of you, and enough cover, you can swamp the enemy with shear fire power. Nothing like 9 shots from a chimera to scare the hell out of any horde army.

evil space marine
25-12-2006, 16:21
I hate playing against Armoured companys because they always seen to destroy all my troops before I can use them but tau with railguns can punch holes in Quite a few tanks.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
25-12-2006, 17:13
The last tournement I played, I had to face one Armored Company and I could defeat them with my Tau, even I did not field any Broadsides.

They are a hard enemy for Tyranids and Orks but all other armies should find a way to deal with them.

I think it is a different feeling of gaming to face an almost Vehicle only army, but first of it, it is a challenge for every general to defeat them and second of it there is always a way to do so-for my opinion they are not over-powered.

Morgrad
25-12-2006, 18:15
They are a hard enemy for Tyranids and Orks

I couldn't disagree more - I think Tyranids and Orks have the *easiest* time of any other army to beat them. Armoured Company can be brutal because if they roll lucky on turn 1 shooting, they've blown massive holes in the enemy's army.

That's just not a big deal against bugs and orks. If you land 6 pie-plates dead-nuts on target in turn 1 against any sort of MEQ, it's absolutely brutal - you've just blown away 10-25 MEQs/tanks. Against a horde army like 'nids or orks, we say "ummm.... ok. We lost 10-25 models. No big whoop."

They don't get pinned due to synapse and check-size, they don't mind the casualties ('cause you'd have done the same with heavy-bolter equivalents anyway), and almost 100% of the anti-tank ability of both armies is still intact.

That's if you hit with perfection. A couple non-"HIT"s from your scatter dice, and the orks/'nids are in even better shape.

I've played against all-tank AC with my nids quite a few times, and with my brothers orks a couple times (he's done the same with his orks), and not once was the game even remotely a challenge. Don't get me wrong - AC can be entertaining, it's certainly a fun change of pace for a guard player, and it's a great way to collect all the tanks you could ever need for a nice 3000 point guard list - but it's not even remotely balanced.

It can be completely crippling to MEQ lists with a little luck, it can be entirely useless against anyone with a little bad luck, and there are some armies out there that it is completely screwed against before you even begin to play. In my opinion, the worst (for the AC player) two of those armies are tyranids and orks.

marv335
25-12-2006, 18:22
i've seen an eldar army wipe out an AC in turn two. and this was in a tourney so the eldar player was using an all comers list.
the only reason he didn't come dead last was because he had a fully painted army and a printed list.
everyone else smacked him up real bad.
the AC list, if anything is underpowered.

evil space marine
25-12-2006, 18:25
I think elder would great against armoured company bacause of there pulse laser and bright lance, those weapons can punch holes though tanks easly

Your right the army list is underpowered, can you have basilasks in
it?

MrBigMr
25-12-2006, 19:33
I was thinking about making a Space Wolf Armored Company.
Basicly just lots of Exterminators.

ReDavide
25-12-2006, 22:13
I collected an Armored Company a year or two ago.

I tried to moderate it by taking lots of low-armor vehicles so that my enemy's S6 weaponry would have something to shoot at. It seemed to work - I lost most of my games but won a few, and games were a challenge for me even against take-all-comers lists.

The tanks were great fun to put together, but in the end I shelved the army. All those tanks end up getting really bottlenecked even with normal amounts of terrain, and having no room to maneuver got annoying after a while.

There are a couple armies like Thousand Sons that will always have problems against heavily armored opponents, but that's the fault of the Thousand Sons list for being imbalanced, not the Armored Company list.

can you have basilasks in
it?
They can even be Troops choices. :evilgrin:

And if you want direct answers to your original questions:
-They're a legal & current army list that is legal in many but not all situations.
-I'd be happy playing against it with my Thousand Sons although (because?) the game would be short. Any of my other armies would be on even footing with it.
-They're a slightly underpowered list due to their vulnerability to enemy min/maxing, but are competitive in take-all-comers situations. I'd only recommend it as your main list if your opponents are very fair-minded. If they're the kind of opponent who will min/max his list to kill armored companies, then you won't have much fun.

MrBigMr
25-12-2006, 22:41
They can even be Troops choices. :evilgrin:
http://tsoalr.com/view.php?date=2004-10-11
They'd propably rock in a game with lots of range and some cover to place them behind of.

Grand Warlord
25-12-2006, 23:16
The current list can be found on the GW US Site, and if i ever come up with the time and money I would make one.

Gen.Steiner
25-12-2006, 23:28
Legal as any other list is, and a lot of fun to use and combat.

Can rack up the points pretty quickly though.

A decent size is about 6-8 tanks in 1,500, but I put 11 Leman Russ, 9 Sentinels and 3 Destroyers in 4,000...

Sarge
26-12-2006, 02:16
If I'm not mistaken, and I'm not, you can only have one exterminator per Space Wolf army, so unless you're playing large games MrBigMr, you'll be limited to one Exterminator Leman Russ, and a lot of Land Raiders.

As for AC lists having problems with Nids and Orks, depends if they min max and or bring alot of MCs. Because my experience with AC lists is that agaisnt an unprepared foes, they can be devestating. Because it renders most small arms, and melee attacks useless, and stretches what few anti-tank weapons they bring (depending on how many they brought) beyound capacity.

While prepared foes find it a turkey shoot. It's like a MEQ army, you're gonna have your anit-AC forces out there, but than again, you're also gonna have those forces who can't deal. In both cases, I would recommend taking alot of anti-infantry weapons on your tanks and infantry.

Gen.Steiner
26-12-2006, 02:31
If I'm not mistaken, and I'm not, you can only have one exterminator per Space Wolf army, so unless you're playing large games MrBigMr, you'll be limited to one Exterminator Leman Russ, and a lot of Land Raiders.

I think he meant an Armoured Company composed entirely of Exterminators...

I would recommend taking alot of anti-infantry weapons on your tanks and infantry.

Agreed - lots of heavy bolters and heavy stubbers is always good. :)

MrBigMr
26-12-2006, 07:00
I think he meant an Armoured Company composed entirely of Exterminators...
That is correct.
Also with DH/WH allies it's possible to get a Land Raider with an extra cost of 26pts. (inquisitor and familiar) to maybe boost the AT-power of such a force. At the moment I have made a 550pts. list of 3 exterminators with hull lascannons, HB sponson and extra armor and storm bolter on the lead tank.
I was thinking about adding a single normal Leman Russ as the command tank to a larger list as a tribute to the Primarch. Put a Leman Russ models as a statue on top of the turret and his wolves on the sponsons.

Sarge
26-12-2006, 21:59
Ah, ok, than why did you call it a SW armored force? I don't think the SW fire at BS3.

Also, never waste money on storm bolters when you can get heavy stubbers for 2 pts more. The increased range and extra shot make up for it's downgraded stats. And 3 lascannons won't due, especially if you're facing AV14. That normal Leman Russ sounds like the perfect anti-tank weapon, both range and power wise. Otherwise, it's a gamble, especially with BS3.

Lastly, extra armor isn't worth it's cost when stacked up against smoke grenades. Sure you only get to use it once, but down grading a penetrating shot is more important than down grading shock to shaken. If you have pts for it in larger games it's a nice add on, but if it doesn't shoot, or down grade penetrating hits, it's not really necessary.

Shasolenzabi
26-12-2006, 22:10
[[[ Well, not having that many battle tanks, I field a commander in a Vanquisher, an ace in a Vanquisher, a sentinel squad, 2 stormy chimeras, 1 Iron fist chimera, and a Hellhond, 1 Leman russ, and 1 LR-Exterminator. This got sent up against a Tyranid force and we both had a draw! AC losses are worth a LOT of points for each unit you loose. My AC has been beaten by many different armies.

MrBigMr
26-12-2006, 22:21
Ah, ok, than why did you call it a SW armored force?
Because Space Wolves have Exterminators which can are also found from AC and I find it to be a little more interesting option than a generic tank batallion of doom. And from all space marines, the Space Wolves are my least hated ones so it would be a sort of a "tribute" to them.
Painting them in SW colors, mounting symbols and skulls and such on them and so on.

I don't think the SW fire at BS3.
Even marines have to learn to shoot that good. They don't just download Leman Russ operational data into their head. And you can't pin it on better equipment (like Marine Hunter-Killer vs. IG Hunter-Killer), since the guard has the same stuff.
I was thinking about using Scout models on the hatches of the the Troop tanks. An Ace Tank costs the same as a normal SW Exterminator (180pts.).

Sarge
26-12-2006, 22:29
Or they could be a Fenrisian tank battalion, under direction of the Space Wolves. Would explain the lower BS.

MrBigMr
26-12-2006, 22:39
Or they could be a Fenrisian tank battalion, under direction of the Space Wolves. Would explain the lower BS.
That was the other idea. Using WH ally adeptus arbites' as armored fists. Shotguns and other assault weapons fit the Space Wold style.

Adrastos
26-12-2006, 22:42
Hello there, I have a fully painted 2500 pts AC and I dont think its such a powerfull army list, I would tend to agree that against experienced gamers chances are against you.

As for the army list, I've found it extremelly satisfing to use chimeras with stromtroopers (usually 2 squads of 8 in 1500 pts) for some good deal of AP2 shots and a squad of las-sentinels. This will make your list actually look like a mechanised IG (your opponents will receive it far better than a list with 7 ordinance) and is more fun and challenging to play with. Keep in mind that as a previous poster clearly pointed out an AC with lots of ordinance is usually a win big/loose big that actually isnt very funny for either you or your opponent considering you almost know what is going to happen in rnd 2.

My all around "friendly" (dont like to play otherwise anymore) army list in 1500pts looks like 3 LMR (depending on what I am plaing against might be exterminators), 2 chimairas with storm troopers with 2 plasma+plasma pistol, 3 sentinels with las, 2 basilisks. Only 3 vehicles with 14 AV and some troop options.

Needless to say if your opponent make a proper counter army-list you loose 99% of the time ;)

Hope this info helps a bit.

Dirt_Nappin'
26-12-2006, 22:45
Don't know if it is allowed but, save up some money a buy a super heavy. (Bane Blades soak up a lot of fire and allow your smaller tanks to come into play.) ((With luck it may even survive the first round of play.))

I have one that I play in 3000 point fights in "friendly" games. My crew knows I will not let them design an army for my visits as they are much better players than me and I need every adavantage I can get. They never know what army I will be bringing so they have to design a balanced army. I still get skewered a lot when I bring the Thunder Brigade but it is always fun.

Defcon
27-12-2006, 01:29
Not exactly the same topic, but I have the displeasure of playing an Armored Battalion every so often at our store. Armored Battalion seems to be a bit stronger than Armored Company, merely by presence of the fact of the upgrades the vehicles can get that are rediculous, such as Blessed Hull (oh, I play Dark Eldar :( ) and the special rounds. Has anyone found that a Battalion is a harder chore? (Of course unless you are *dundundunnn* Iron Warriors.)

Then again it seems most people here don't have people who make their list after they find out who they are playing, whereas everyone at my store does. They are all peculiarly stubborn on this point.

ReDavide
27-12-2006, 01:56
Armored Battalion seems to be a bit stronger than Armored Company, merely by presence of the fact of the upgrades the vehicles can get that are rediculous, such as Blessed Hull (oh, I play Dark Eldar :(Are you sure you're not confusing the Armored Battlegroup with the Armored Company? It's the Company that has the Guard-style doctrine system that gives you access to blessed & ceramite hulls.
And while I sympathize with the plight of your dark lances, spending 25 points plus a doctrine point to get the machine god's blessing is a fair price to pay for the upgrade.

I don't have any opinion on which list is stronger though. The Company gives you more upgrade options, while the Battlegroup gives you more vehicles to choose from.

One nice advantage to the Battlegroup is that it lets you take mech infantry as a Troops choice, which is nice for those people who are trying to limit the pie plate content of their force.

Codsticker
27-12-2006, 03:10
I don't have any opinion on which list is stronger though. The Company gives you more upgrade options, while the Battlegroup gives you more vehicles to choose from.

The Armoured Battlegroup is an interesting take on the all tank army; although it offers a lot of flexibilty in how you theme your army, which choices you make for HQ and Elites tanks will limit the content of your force. Even though I haven't much experience with the my Armoured Battlegroup army, I think it may be a better list.

FraustyTheSnowman
27-12-2006, 04:56
What I have planned for my armored compony is the following:
Command Exterminator with three heavy bolters, pintle heavy stubber, other upgrades depending on point value. 14 BS4 shots for anti-infantry, with the possibility of an HK for some anti-armor.

Ace Destroyer Tank Hunter (think thats the name, leman rus with a hull mounted destroyer laser thingy), lascannon sponsons if it can have it, and an HK missile. BS4 anti-armor.

Two stormtrooper squads in chimeras with plasma pistol/guns and melta bombs. Number depends on point value. Chimera equpied with HK missile and possibly smoke launchers. I've got two heavy bolter turrets for my chimeras and another turret that I haven't decided what weapon will go in, so if need be I can switch their transports weapons up a bit, again depending on point value.

Two squads of sentinels with smoke launchers, probably armed with heavy flamers. Cheep and expendable, used as a shield wall to protect higher point tanks by taking shots for them.

One armored fist squad with grenade and missle launchers, used to hightail it to some cover between the deployment zones and take shots at approaching infantry/medium armored vehicles.

Heavy support might be two bassis, though I need to look into the heavy rus variants as I could find something I like more (though I already have one basilisk)

Doctrines will depend on what I'm going up against, assuming I know ahead of time. I realy like the one that lets you actualy kill models when you tank shock though, so chances are good that that will be standard.

I can see flaws in the armored compony list, though I think you can make a good variety of armies from it, and as long as your not cheesing out, and your opponent isn't either, you'll both have a fun game. Not familiar enough with tournament style playing to say if I would use it in one, though I would like to try it.

Still need to get ahold of my buddies copy of the battlegroup rules, as I want to have it more mechanized infantry than I'm able with AC, and the concept of more tanks to chose from sounds appealing.

mistformsquirrel
27-12-2006, 05:47
The Armoured Battlegroup is an interesting take on the all tank army; although it offers a lot of flexibilty in how you theme your army, which choices you make for HQ and Elites tanks will limit the content of your force. Even though I haven't much experience with the my Armoured Battlegroup army, I think it may be a better list.

I've heard of an Armored Company... but what's an Armored Battlegroup? Is that like a nickname for an IG Mechanized army or something?

(Sorry for the silly question ><)

Codsticker
27-12-2006, 05:50
The Armoured Battlegroup list is from Imperial Armour Vol.1; it has the latest info on most of the Forge World tanks and flyers for the Imperial Guard.

mistformsquirrel
27-12-2006, 08:17
Ahh, thanks!

Sarge
27-12-2006, 18:27
That was the other idea. Using WH ally adeptus arbites' as armored fists. Shotguns and other assault weapons fit the Space Wold style.

The shotguns do, yes, but Arbites don't really, especially since they're such a rebellious chapter, daring to flaunt their power before the inquisition and administratium. No other founding chapter or chapter mentioned to date, has 12-13 normal companies, let alone 12-13 greater companies. And given Fenris is nearly a Feral World, I don't think you'll find any Arbites present there, that's assuming the Space Wolves let them operate in their sphere of control, at all.

Now, if they were Fenrisian locals, armed with old scatter shots, and cloaked in pelts, and other survival gear, than the look would be awesome. But any force attached to the Administratium or Inquisition would most likely be suspect to Space Wolf suspicion. And we all know if a Space Wolf doesn't trust you, you're as good as dead on the battle field.

azimaith
27-12-2006, 20:43
in my experience enough massed machinegun fire will bring down even the buffest TMC
I use demolishers with plasma sponsons+lascannons and blast them without moving. 2x plasma+1x lascannon=alot of pain on an MC, especially with ace gunners.

LRs got heavy flamer sponsons with ace sponson gunners so they roast assaulting stealers alive before they even get a chance to strike.

But a godzilla army would be hard to deal with.

evil space marine
27-12-2006, 21:04
Armoured companies are in the end very vunerble to lots of stength 8 or greater weapons, try and get them on there back armour

answer_is_42
27-12-2006, 21:53
armoured companys-in my experence- are an army where you either massacre with, or are massacred with. Ive been playing with one for years, and never had a dull moment. in fact, one of the best games ive ever had was my AC vs someone else's AC. It is a great list, if a bit underpowered.

and as for it being legal, as long as your opponent agrees, theres no problem.

by the way, did you know that in the IA1 list (not the one i use), you can't get hellhounds? their not in there (as far as i can remember).

Codsticker
27-12-2006, 21:58
They are a Heavy Support choice. Weird, but true.

answer_is_42
27-12-2006, 22:04
They are a Heavy Support choice. Weird, but true.

really? hellhounds? heavy support? thats odd, i couldn't find them in there. I would check, but my copy is about 70 miles away, and i'm tired.......

Angelwing
28-12-2006, 04:10
i would only play against armoured companies if i know in advance, so i can tailer a list that has a chance. i normally play pick up games with balanced forces. armoured companies suffer from win big or lose big which i find are not the most entertaining games.
we had a player at our local store who would only play balanced forces with his tanks of doom, and he won everything. i challenged him, and the following week bought a tyranid "armoured company" using a barbed hierodule, and my armorcast exocrine and malefactor. i even had to stoop to using 3 rippers as a troop choice.
i smashed him to bits and promptly tore up my list vowing never to use it again. the look on his face as i deployed was priceless.

Sarge
28-12-2006, 05:57
Godzilla lists will do that to you lol

Dranthar
28-12-2006, 06:25
i would only play against armoured companies if i know in advance, so i can tailer a list that has a chance.

I've found that tailoring a list to fight AC is almost a guaranteed loss for the AC player. It's really not a fun game at all IMO.

In my first game against AC I got slaughtered, although that was entirely due to using a DE webway army in a scenario where I started a good 48" from the enemy and with only one troops choice (read - one very vulnerable webway portal carrier) starting on the table. The other guy's army also consisted of mostly basilisks. It was basically the worst conditions ever for fighting an armoured company. :rolleyes:

After that I started designing my all-comers lists to ensure that the majority of my army has at least some way of taking down a tank (haywire grenades/melta bombs on the unit champions are a great way to do this).

Since then I've beaten every AC I've faced (including the guy who first beat me), not because my lists are specifically designed to kill ACs but because I know their weaknesses and I have some cheap contingencies built into my list to ensure most of my army is capable of taking down a tank.

Nowdays I'd happily fight any AC list that came my way. Unless you don't have some sort of 'anti-tank' contingency built into your list (which is never smart to start with) then they really aren't as nasty as some people seem to make out.

One more thing - unless you tailor your lists for the army you're facing like a munchkin would ( ;) ), the AC doctrines are usually just wasted points that are better spent on more tankage.

MrBigMr
28-12-2006, 11:07
The shotguns do, yes, but Arbites don't really, especially since they're such a rebellious chapter, daring to flaunt their power before the inquisition and administratium. No other founding chapter or chapter mentioned to date, has 12-13 normal companies, let alone 12-13 greater companies. And given Fenris is nearly a Feral World, I don't think you'll find any Arbites present there, that's assuming the Space Wolves let them operate in their sphere of control, at all.

Now, if they were Fenrisian locals, armed with old scatter shots, and cloaked in pelts, and other survival gear, than the look would be awesome. But any force attached to the Administratium or Inquisition would most likely be suspect to Space Wolf suspicion. And we all know if a Space Wolf doesn't trust you, you're as good as dead on the battle field.
I made the assumption that you'd understand that by Adeptus Arbites I'd mean using the rules instead the fluff and models. I'd take SM scouts, use them with shotguns and give them plenty of SW gear and heads. Mount them on Rhinos and arms them with flamers and grenade launchers to deal with infantry and leave enemy armor for the tanks. They'd work as a buffer against enemy infantry trying to get too close or assault the tanks.

Getz
28-12-2006, 14:23
I've found that tailoring a list to fight AC is almost a guaranteed loss for the AC player. It's really not a fun game at all IMO.

This is very true. I usually let my opponents know in advance if I'm about to break out the armoured Company, and rarely win as a result.

That, however, is still preferable in my mind to crushing someone completely in a no-fun game because they weren't prepared...

Hopefully, my club will eventually come to the conclusion that AC are no a cheesefest army, and then I might be able to surprise people with them from time to time. (It's not as if anyone who plays against me doesn't know to bring Anti-Tank weapons. I love tanks and all my armies are stuffed full of them...)

izandral
28-12-2006, 17:52
i believe it's a rather balanced army , if you build it with some AT and AI stuff you should do good against all comer list but won't be overpowering as about every armylist i see have plenty of AT capabilities but just don't use them smart

Sarge
28-12-2006, 19:41
I made the assumption that you'd understand that by Adeptus Arbites I'd mean using the rules instead the fluff and models. I'd take SM scouts, use them with shotguns and give them plenty of SW gear and heads. Mount them on Rhinos and arms them with flamers and grenade launchers to deal with infantry and leave enemy armor for the tanks. They'd work as a buffer against enemy infantry trying to get too close or assault the tanks.

I got that much, but the question is, how will only 2 squads of 10 men armed with shotguns, a flamer, and a grenade launcher, be useful agaisnt most horde armies like IG, Orks, or Tyranids?

Also, why not a Chimera? Sure it's an extra 20pts, but with the added fire power, and better frontal armor, it might be more useful.

MrBigMr
28-12-2006, 19:50
I got that much, but the question is, how will only 2 squads of 10 men armed with shotguns, a flamer, and a grenade launcher, be useful agaisnt most horde armies like IG, Orks, or Tyranids?
Slow them down. It's not suppose to stop them, just buy the tanks more time.

Sarge
28-12-2006, 19:56
Ok, and what about taking Chimeras instead of Rhinos? Once the scouts are dead, the vehicle will still be able to fight on.

MrBigMr
28-12-2006, 20:03
Ok, and what about taking Chimeras instead of Rhinos? Once the scouts are dead, the vehicle will still be able to fight on.
Weeell... Fluffy reasons. It's a rarity that the SW even have Exterminators, so Chimeras don't realy fit in as much as Rhinos.

Sarge
28-12-2006, 20:05
But they're not SW, they're Fenrisian Guard

MrBigMr
28-12-2006, 20:16
But they're not SW, they're Fenrisian Guard
In SW command and as such with SW gear.

On the subject, is there some site with detailed info on SW and Fenris? Like about the society and such? How they recruit people and such. I was thinking about naming the troops werewolves, sort of Space Wolf wannabes. Out to prove themselves in combat before being accepted as part of the SW.

Sarge
28-12-2006, 20:24
No, don't think you should, cause that's a little too close to Wulfen, which are what happen to Space Wolves when the curse sets in. However, something about fangs or claws, or some other wolfish analogy would be very tasteful.

However, info about Fenris and the SW, I can't think up anything off the top of my head. Just what's in the SW codex. However, they seem to use old norse names, with some jorn(? not sure if that's the right word, but basically two words put together to make an entirely new world, like Bloodfang) last name/title.

Frodo34x
30-12-2006, 20:10
In SW command and as such with SW gear.

On the subject, is there some site with detailed info on SW and Fenris? Like about the society and such? How they recruit people and such. I was thinking about naming the troops werewolves, sort of Space Wolf wannabes. Out to prove themselves in combat before being accepted as part of the SW.
I remember from the first book in an old SW series, that whenever a powerful fenrisian is dying, the Wolf Preists turn up, revive him, and turn him into a space wolf.

Or something to a similar effect.

MrBigMr
30-12-2006, 20:59
No, don't think you should, cause that's a little too close to Wulfen, which are what happen to Space Wolves when the curse sets in. However, something about fangs or claws, or some other wolfish analogy would be very tasteful.
Well, that's why I was thinking about werewolf. Half-man, half-(space)wolf.
If they'll play their cards right, they might get chosen to become a space wolf. I was thinking of giving the troops the wolf's hook as the symbol on their shoulder pad.
Another word I was throwing around was wolverine from Red Dawn. But it would get mixed up with the damn spandex freak.

However, info about Fenris and the SW, I can't think up anything off the top of my head. Just what's in the SW codex. However, they seem to use old norse names, with some jorn(? not sure if that's the right word, but basically two words put together to make an entirely new world, like Bloodfang) last name/title.
The names won't be a problem, as I'm scandinavian.

Sarge
30-12-2006, 22:58
There is a wee bit of a difference between old norse, and present day Norwegian, but yeah, being scandinavian does help you there.

Still too close to Wulfen, as for Wolverines, yeah... I don't think many people nowadays would get that reference. However, after looking over the SW codex, I noticed that Blood Claws have BS3, however after making the connection something else came to mind. Blood Fangs, as in teething, as in not yet mature, but still ready to prove themselves as part of the pack.

So what do you think of calling your Fenrisian Guardsmen, Blood Fangs?

MrBigMr
30-12-2006, 23:20
So what do you think of calling your Fenrisian Guardsmen, Blood Fangs?
The Arbiters have BS4.
And all this blood and body pieces... I have to see about it. Young Bloods would be more in the lines I'm looking for. Something that can more directly be linked to them being wannabies more than actual members.
Man, it would be so much easier to just use SW rules, but one Exterminator isn't an "armored company".

Sarge
31-12-2006, 02:27
Ah, yes, forgot. But yes, Young Bloods has a nice sound to it, even though it's not really related to wolves in anyway.

Easy E
31-12-2006, 10:00
...the AC doctrines are usually just wasted points that are better spent on more tankage.

I can't emphasize this enough. When you have so few models, get as many as you can on the board to avoid a quick knock-out and have some scoring units.

In addition, take a variety of tanks. You do not want your army to all be ordinance template weapons. Are variety of tanks will make your list more flexible, and make your opponent less bitter about the AC.