PDA

View Full Version : so....Rogue Trader...

sigur
25-12-2006, 16:07
What do I really need to play Rogue Trader?

2 Players, one Game Master, the rulebook, different dice, miniatures, paper and pencils, sure. But what books/WD articles do I need to have a satisfying game (in your opinion)?

Here's what I have so far:
Rulebook
this red compendium book
the Realm of Chaos books
'Ere we go

Are there really any more books necessary? What about Chapter Aproved? Are the vehicle rules a nice addition to the game in your opinion or were they over the top and not adding to the game in the sightest?

Thanks for your help guys.

Griefbringer
25-12-2006, 16:17
You can get perfectly started with just the rulebook - it contains a ton of material, the only thing missing are real army lists. However, if you have game master to set up scenarios (or very reasonable players) you can get along without army lists - the book contains point values and guidelines for putting together squads for different factions (involving a lot of D100 rolls for the equipment).

Realms of Chaos books you will only need if you are going to use chaos, and similarly 'Ere we go is only needed if you want to go deeper into orks than what is provided by the basic rulebook (however, if you get 'Ere we go it might be worth taking a look for Freebooterz book too).

As for vehicle rules, the basic rulebook already contains one version, and there is a bit different vehicle rules in the red Compendium book. Vehicle manual introduces different rules with targeting grid.

sigur
25-12-2006, 16:20
Since I actually read the books I knew most of this already, thanks anyway.:)

I'm planning to get "Waaargh! Da Orkz" rather than Freebooterz since from what I know, Waaargh! contains the real army lists and Freebooterz is just an add-on really.

Well, let's see if I can find a GM then since it's quite a toughy to find "reasonable players" in a.....competetive surrounding.:rolleyes:

Griefbringer
25-12-2006, 16:33
I'm planning to get "Waaargh! Da Orkz" rather than Freebooterz since from what I know, Waaargh! contains the real army lists and Freebooterz is just an add-on really.

I was under the impression that WAAARGH! book was just fluff - I do not own a copy so cannot check if there was some actual gaming material. The main ork rules however are on Ere we go! and Freebooters is an add on to that, featuring some new equipment, plus lists for Death Skulls, Bad Moons, Evil Sunz and Freebooters (mercenary orks). Some of those freebooter entries are hilarious, if not truely balanced.

If you can get the rarer yellow Compilation, it is great reading for the Eldar and Genestealer stuff, though not quite as versatile as the glorious red Compendium.

One thing missing from the basic rulebook are the rules for overwatch - these were first introduced in WD129, and again in Battle Manual. The later actually introduces a lot of changed combat rules (for close combat, shooting and weapons) making those rules very close to the 2nd edition rules.

Most of the WD stuff got reprinted in the books, but some of the later articles did not - like the Tyranid list in WD145 and Space Wolf list in WD157.

EVIL INC
25-12-2006, 18:34
You dont REALLY need a gamemaster. You can sit down with your opponant and have a preset game that is already written out. All he really does is make the scenario which you can take turns doing anyways and ref arguments.
Good luck as that was one of GWs better games.

sigur
25-12-2006, 18:37
So I might have been wrong. I was under the impression that Waaargh! - Da Orkz gave you the first army lists after the one in the RT rulebook. I'll try to find that out.

Thanks for elaborating anyway, i'd be very glad to find those "missing link" WD articles between RT and 2nd edition.

Griefbringer
25-12-2006, 19:08
You dont REALLY need a gamemaster. You can sit down with your opponant and have a preset game that is already written out. All he really does is make the scenario which you can take turns doing anyways and ref arguments.

In this case, it is probably preferable that one side writes the scenario, and the other one gets to choose which side to play.

The drawback is that it is more difficult to have real surprise elements (like a bunch of Catachan faceeaters hiding in a forest).