PDA

View Full Version : Congressional hearings on baseball and steroids

Fugazi
18-03-2005, 01:29
I'm glad Congress has so much time on its hands to deal with baseball and steroids. For a second there, I thought they had a country to run.

Anyway, this isn't P&R, so...back to baseball. Nobody asked any tough questions. We know MacGwire and Sosa and these guys take them. So what if MacGwire takes the fifth? Ugh, this was such a waste of time.

99%BEEF
18-03-2005, 15:48
Supposedly 5000 high school athletes jeopardise their own health by trying to emulate their heroes by taking steroids. So perhaps it is important as it does affect the entire nation.

Bob the destroyer
20-03-2005, 15:50
are we really surprised? look at there baseball cards from 5 years ago to more recent yea the just put on 80 pounds of muscle. who are they kidding.

SpectreLegacy
20-03-2005, 16:13
Yes, we know people like Mccguire have been taking them; yes, MLB knew, too. They've never publicly released a lot of the results of the periodic testing they used to do. Personally, I think this is a case where they really do need to tighten the reins. No more giving these players four or five chances. You test positive once, you get watched and tested a couple times a year for a while. Test positive again, you're done.

m1s1n
21-03-2005, 03:33
Supposedly 5000 high school athletes jeopardise their own health by trying to emulate their heroes by taking steroids. So perhaps it is important as it does affect the entire nation.

I don't know if it is right to say that they are "emulating" anyone. What they really want is to be the best. This is not the result of role-modeling, but a system that encourages competition and superiority. The concept that someone would take steroids to be the next Bonds is valid--however we need to place the appropriate emphasis where it is due. People choose to take steroids in order to cessiate a desire to be the best--not because their heroes take them.

I think that the use of steroids and other enhancements is a natural progression in a sport where the only real accomplishment is personal achievement. No one seems to take any merit in the idea that they are paid to play a child's game for a living--instead they are moved to be more outstanding than someone else. Society has moved to the polar extreme that you can only be a Babe Ruth or a failure. I think dichotomies like this are exteremely dangerous.

I also think that the congressional investigation is a waste of money. People want Barry Bonds to hit home runs. They want records broken. They want highlights for ESPN. This new generation of sensation would actually be damaged if the athletes abilities became dulled by a LACK of steroids. Sure, it's a bad message that our athletes are on drugs and suppliments. However, the damage is mainly to the ego of a meritologist society that feels working hard is the same thing as success. Ultimately the most important thing within the sport is its entertainment value. A "well played game" simply means a game worth appreciating. If we eliminate steroid use completely within sports we actually risk making the games less interesting because there would be less Sammy Sosas and Jason Giambis. Maybe steroids are a necessary evil for the current success of sports in the United States?