PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to start, looking at: Mordor, Easterlings, or Harad

shakespear
26-12-2006, 06:30
I know I need the big blue rulebook, anything else?

Which force should I go for?

lorelorn
26-12-2006, 09:56
I don't know, which force do you like the look of best?

Easterlings have the smallest list (just one page) and fewest troop types. You will also need to buy Shadow of the East to play this army.

Mordor has the most varied force in terms of models. From the lowly orc to the mightly troll chieftain, this army has something for every evil player. There are also a number of named characters that can be added to your army.

Harad is nice with plastic infantry, light cavalry with lances which can hit hard, mounted archers, and their 'tank' the Mumak.

All these forces can ally with one another, as detailed in the Legions of Middle Earth book. Personally, I play Easterlings. The main reason is that I like the models.

Gondorian
26-12-2006, 20:00
You could also collect an army made of an alliance of all three. I'd start with the models that you like the look of the most and go from there.

erion
26-12-2006, 20:17
I'm also a proponent of the 'Play what you like' philosophy. In my experience there isn't any one good or evil army that dominates all comers on the battlefield.

Pertinax
26-12-2006, 21:43
Agreed. Play what you want. One way of attacking the issue would be to paint up a box of each infantry type, and see which you liked to work with the best. Then, that's a pretty good indication of where you might go with the rest of the army.

From a purely figure hobby point of view, that is.

Catferret
27-12-2006, 11:38
All those forces have great positive points. Mordor has Trolls and infantry horde. Easterlings have high defense and pikemen with shielding rule. Harad have great archery and a horde of infantry and big stompy elephant death!
It really does come down to the models in the end.
I struggled to pick a force for years until the plastic Easterlings were released and I love the models! LotR seems to be a cheap game compared to other GW stuff. Use the Allies rules in the Legions book and get all 3 forces!!! That would also tie in with Pertinax's advice.

guillimansknight
27-12-2006, 19:01
You could also collect an army made of an alliance of all three. I'd start with the models that you like the look of the most and go from there.

can isengard join this alliance ???

also can you use the guys in wd 300 such as the serpent riders?