PDA

View Full Version : How many Wave Serpents?

Penitent
26-12-2006, 09:01
I received a Wave Serpent for Christmas, which made me happy, but I already own two. In addition, I have two Falcons, and another which may get turned into a Fire Prism.

I'm wondering if I'll ever really use three Wave Serpents. I could exchange the Wave Serpent for something else, possibly a box of Hawks or Scorpions, to flesh out my under-strength squads. Any thoughts?

My Eldar collection currently consists of:

1 Avatar
1 Farseer, 5 Warlocks
30 Dire Avengers w/ Exarchs
12 Guardians w/ platform
9 Storm Guardians
10 Scorpions w/ Exarch
6 Scorpions w/ Exarch
9 Banshees w/ Exarch
10 Warp Spiders w/ Exarch
5 Hawks w/ Exarch
6 Dragons w/ Exarch
6 Dragons w/ Exarch
1 Wraithlord
2 War Walkers
2 Wave Serpents
2 Falcons
3 Vypers

AventineCrusader
26-12-2006, 10:07
My Eldar collection currently consists of:

1 Avatar
1 Farseer, 5 Warlocks
30 Dire Avengers w/ Exarchs
12 Guardians w/ platform
9 Storm Guardians
10 Scorpions w/ Exarch
6 Scorpions w/ Exarch
9 Banshees w/ Exarch
10 Warp Spiders w/ Exarch
5 Hawks w/ Exarch
6 Dragons w/ Exarch
6 Dragons w/ Exarch
1 Wraithlord
2 War Walkers
2 Wave Serpents
2 Falcons
3 Vypers

Well I spot 5 units that could use a Serpent to maximize their efficiency, those being the 3 DA units, the Storm Guardians, and the Banshees. Now the question being whether you would actually ever use three WSs in any list you made with said models, as the models listed are obviously in excess of 2000 points.

Short Answer: Trade it in for something else, I would never spend that many points on non-scoring units in a game of reasonable size. Two Serpents would be my max in any game of 2000-pts or less.

Crusader

Orbital
26-12-2006, 10:08
Personally, I use three Wave Serpents in almost every game I play over 1500 points. Their combination of resilience, offensive power and transporting ability make them a better choice than pretty much any other tank in the Eldar list.

Gensuke626
26-12-2006, 10:48
OOohhh....WS or more troops...that's a tough one...I'm going to say...get the troops...since more foot sloggers always helps...plus you've got 2 already...if you feel you need a 3rd...then keep it...

ALso...Your collection is at a point where I would stop collecting for a while and test the waters with several army variants to try to figure out an effective playstyle. You may want to do that, proxying in the extra Falcon/Fire Prisms as a Serpent and try a 3 serpent list before making your final desicision.

Mojaco
26-12-2006, 10:51
Exchange it for a second fire prism. You can't have just one prism.

Orbital
26-12-2006, 11:27
I would take three Fire Prisms every single game because they rock so hard if not for this one thing: Everything else in the Eldar Heavy Weapons section is also amazing.

It's just not fair. I'd like to have a good, solid 8 slots for Heavy Support. That'd work.

Quin 242
26-12-2006, 11:27
Personally, I use three Wave Serpents in almost every game I play over 1500 points. Their combination of resilience, offensive power and transporting ability make them a better choice than pretty much any other tank in the Eldar list.

Minus the abilty to score.
Scoring units are a benefit in plenty of scenarios and if you have used most of your points on transports... that's less otherthings that I have to weaken before they become non scoring as well.

Jellicoe
27-12-2006, 09:53
On the other hand playing a totally mech Eldar list of nothing but serpents, falcons and vypers could be fun

tight for the points though

Captain Stuart
27-12-2006, 15:00
I tend to run 3 serpents and 2 falcons in a Biel Tan list. While I agree that there is a large points penalty for a non-scoring unit, the Serpents are much better at ensuring the scoring units I have will stay alive than simply buying another unit or two. If my Eldar are out of their transports and not in HTH I consider them gone. Their T value simply makes them too easy to become non-scoring in my experience.

My general tactic is to fly around and shot things for the first 2-3 turns and then disembark in a fashion where each infantry unit can support each other. So if your play style is different, you may be better off getting another unit.

Captain Micha
27-12-2006, 16:26
I'd keep the third serpent. if my dar list was so extensive with aspects thats what I would do. see what works and what doesn't

Jakk
27-12-2006, 17:27
five probably

Almost_Famous
27-12-2006, 21:59
Ok .... I don't play eldar (yet... I'm saving my pennies thought) but here's an Idea... why not magnatize the wave serpet so that you can set it up as both falcon and wave serpent or fire prism and wave serpent??

I assume that it would be possible to do this, yes? Or are the weapon/cockpit sprues separate from the rest of them and thus not included in the waveserpent kit?

Mojaco
27-12-2006, 22:38
Nope, not included. Plus the wave serpent is longer then the battle-tanks. Ofcourse it's possible, but not in a practical way.

Prism Falcons, now those are easy.

Orbital
28-12-2006, 11:16
why not magnatize the wave serpet so that you can set it up as both falcon and wave serpent or fire prism and wave serpent??I've seen this done with the basic Falcon chassis, making it possible to have a Falcon, a Fire Prism, a Firestorm or a Night Spinner.

The Wave Serpent has an extended cab (as has been noted alread in this thread), but it's a really good idea.

Penitent
28-12-2006, 14:11
I decided to return the Wave Serpent, to max out my Scorpion and Hawk squads.

I see the potential in running three wave serpents, though. In the future I may experiment with that.

Thanks all for you input.

Regarding the Firestorm kit: Does anyone know if the conversion parts are only for a new turret, or are there any changes to the main body?

Orbital
28-12-2006, 14:23
Just the turret, my friend.

Locke
02-01-2007, 20:28
well you could always extend the cab and just swap the turrets, most opponents wont mind the bigger target!

TheJrade
03-01-2007, 16:23
Not intrested in two Fire Prisms? I get a lot of mileage out of mine. They are the one thing in my army that I can count on against ANY opponent. Between combo-focused shots bringing down Monoliths and Land Raiders, to combo-dispersed shots scragging whole squads of MEQs, to paired dispersed shots scragging whole squads of bugs or guardsmen, I never leave home without the both of them.