PDA

View Full Version : Painted Armies

SuperMitch
26-12-2006, 09:39
Out of curiosity and to get a feel for the greater warser community of which I have long stalked, I would like to know how completely painted your primary army is, that is, the army you use the most often.

I personally play in a small gaming group I started at my college, and given the lack of time to even play most weeks let alone paint, I am quite accustomed to a field of brilliant gray marines, guard, and necrons. I am slightly better, having painted a majority of my Tau cadre, but I still regularly field tanks and infantry that have been painted a regal coat of black primer.

AventineCrusader
26-12-2006, 10:10
My primary army is 100% painted, however I have a new army in the works that is perhaps 10% painted...

Crusader

Quin 242
26-12-2006, 10:47
I am always adding units so I can't actually ever have a 100% painted force...
I also have something like 5 primary armies so... Makes it difficult :(

Corrupt
26-12-2006, 11:05
The core of ALL my armies are painted.
I can get to about 1000-2000pts FUlly painted depending on the army.
One or two elite units however need a paintjob atm (Currently on Pheonix Guard and Ellysian Drop Trooper-StormTroopers)

Daemon king Mad Dog
26-12-2006, 11:13
My Armies, apart from ym dwarves are all fully painted, as i entered a tournament where all models MUST be painted!

xibo
26-12-2006, 11:15
I am enhancing my guard all the time, but I'm not fielding any unpainted elements, so I voted 100%. My other armies are 100% painted, too.

Corrupt
26-12-2006, 11:23
Anything I field is painted. Dont like undercoated/Grey models
But not all of the army is done. And some things I field arnt 100% finished. (Need final highlights or w/e) but stll look k

fracas
26-12-2006, 13:29
also only play with painted models

bram kuijpers
26-12-2006, 13:31
im busy with one unit but the rest is painted

Mobiboros
26-12-2006, 14:01
My primary army (Necron) is 100% painted with the force I field at 1850 and even 2000 pts. I have like 6 Flayed ones unpainted, but since I don't generally use them, and if it's not painted I don't play with it my primary army is done as far as I'm concerned.

My secondary army (WitchHunters), is still in the modding stage so I think only like 2 pieces are painted out of the entire army. I'm not even done creating the Inquisitors retinue and haven't even bought most of the units (Although I am done greenstuffing the majority of the pieces I do have).

harlequin21
26-12-2006, 14:13
My Tau are all painted, all tournament models have to be so id dint really have a choice

skidrow
26-12-2006, 14:20
About 50% painted and even that has taken forever. Never enough time in the day

Luke
26-12-2006, 14:26
If it isn't 100% finished, it isn't in my army. Therefore my army is 100% painted, as well as 100% based and 100% completed.

MeatGrinder
26-12-2006, 14:31
My whole Sw army is painted, i don't play with unpainted models

Dreachon
26-12-2006, 14:35
I only play with models that are fully paintede and based, if I want to field it then I'd better get it finnished.

St.Germaine
26-12-2006, 14:38
The group I play with requires fully painted and based models for everyone but newcomers to the group and they have to show steady progress. The base army that I've been playing for several years (BA rules) is about 98% painted. I have a few figures that were in process when I decided to take a break from them. My current army is Necrons and they're 100%. My current painting projects are a DIY bike force(15%) and a loyalist LatD force(5% but I got a nice FW infusion for this force for Christmas). I'd love to get back to my Nids but with the 100% painted requirement I'm in trouble - I've got about 3500 points at 50-60% but not in a uniform scheme. Ahhh some day...

The Laughing God
26-12-2006, 14:44
My necron army is always getting new units. So they are never 100% But I have about 3,000 points done and still adding on.

Stormtrooper Clark
26-12-2006, 14:47
I just started Eldar as my primary Army so less than 10% =) (Did Imperial Guard before)

IncrediSteve
26-12-2006, 15:23
There was a very brief period of time back in late 3rd edition when all 3 of my armies were painted.

Of course this meant I had to sell them immediately and start afresh with new marines, got rid of the Nids, and just recently am revamping the Eldar, with two battleforces and the limited army box, along with a slave to do nothing but remove mold lines. :evilgrin:

Goq Gar
26-12-2006, 15:25
EXACTLY (after calculations) 12.334% painted

dave is the best
26-12-2006, 15:30
I've just started my eldar, but after 1000pts is finished nothing unpainted will be played.

DAVE

Greatoliver
26-12-2006, 18:16
I've recently started to repaint my army and I've got about 1,500 points to construct and I've got 2,250 to paint!

I've got models that are 3/4 finished but none are actually finished...I'm doing a factory type style so all my Fire Warriors are at the same stage.

Rich 123
26-12-2006, 18:42
I voted 10%-25% as that is probably about right around the 20% mark.

However that's not because I am a lazy git but because I have been furiously converting the entirety of my Marine army before starting to paint them. I have a deadline to get them finished by so it is a work in progress rather than me just not being able to or be bothered to paint them up.

If you're interested my army log is here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31677) and it is coming on well at long last. Unlike most people, it seems, I enjoy painting and have gotten into it again now I finally have the chance having converted it all. Many people don't seem that into painting but I'm more of an artist than a gamer.

Dicky

Kahadras
26-12-2006, 18:45
I'm virtualy 100% with my Space Wolves (2000 points worth). Just got to paint a couple of heads and I'm pretty much done (bar touching up and adding more fine detail). I've just started an Eldar army that's presently a 0% (I haven't even primed it yet)

Kahadras

The Judge
26-12-2006, 18:51
I refuse to play with unpainted models, a good incentive to paint I find.

Aundae
26-12-2006, 18:58
I have 100% of my primary army done. However, I am currently working on a new army and I am not above putting primed models on the board.

god octo
26-12-2006, 19:04
im so tight and scabby that i normally only have one unpainted unit at a time in my Witch hunters army, so 100% at the mo is painted.

mattjgilbert
26-12-2006, 19:09
Necrons 90%
Ultramarines 50% - tons still to paint and no time to do it. Will slowely get there though. Looking forard to getting a whole chunck done in the new year, especially when on holiday in France for 2 weeks = painting time!

WFB
High Elves 25%
Orcs & Goblins 0%

To be fair, I have only recently got into WFB again which is why my % there is so poor...

RampagingRavener
26-12-2006, 19:22
Probably about two thirds of all my models are painted, but a great many of those are really nastily done and I don't have the willpower to go back and redo them again. Thing is, as much as I like the gaming, modeling and background parts of the hobby, I despise painting...generally, it's a good week if I can force myself to paint one or two basic infantry models so I regularly feild half-painted armies. As an aside, I don't base either but that's more a personal preferance-I think a plain black base looks nicer.

TheSanityAssassin
26-12-2006, 19:39
Missing a couple of my Warp Spiders

Dirt_Nappin'
26-12-2006, 19:54
Hate to say it but my Cheese Puppies have only about 3000 points painted to tourney standard.

I just doubled the number of 'Nids troops that I had. Same thing about 3600 points fully painted. (All of the 2nd-3rd Ed models) All new models are 4th ed. Just primered them a month ago.

My Imp Guard Regiment just got based this last year and I am waiting for a air brush to start painting them. 5k of infantry alone is very scary prospect for a guy who is really into the game and not the modeling.

I have 4 other armies in base paint that now that I have weekends again, I may just start painting.

CrazyHeeb
26-12-2006, 20:25
I don't assemble my models until they're fully painted. That forces me to paint them before I can field them. So, I put down 100%.

But, I am also borrowing a friend's Tyranids to bolster my forces until my own are painted. But, that doesn't count because it isn't my army. However, it does feel really good to replace one of his grey, unpainted models with one of my own.

luchog
26-12-2006, 20:41
I'd say I have about 90% of my primary army painted to some degree; but only about 30% of it is fully painted, with the rest of it needing some additional painting and/or conversion. So overall, I'd say it's about 75% painted. My secondary army is still being stripped and prepped for painting.

ShadowKitana
26-12-2006, 20:48
Is it baised on points or models? Anyway, I never field a fully painted army anymore after reading these forums unless I am at a tournament. I will always have one non-primed model just to **** people off with. If they have a problem with it then we do not play.

xibo
26-12-2006, 20:53
Is it baised on points or models? Anyway, I never field a fully painted army anymore after reading these forums unless I am at a tournament. I will always have one non-primed model just to **** people off with. If they have a problem with it then we do not play.
<quake3-voice>you've taken the lead.</quake3>

Splagbot
26-12-2006, 20:57
Is it based on models that you use or models that you own, I only use painted models so 100% on that front, but I own others unpainted, so it's about 75% for that.

tuebor
26-12-2006, 21:10
Probably 60% of my IG and 40% of my Black Templars. Also, about 50% of my Arbites are painted, but there's only 24 of them at the moment.

I'd probably have more of it painted, but between going to school full time and working 30-35 hours a week it's somewhat difficult to find the time.

ShadowKitana
26-12-2006, 21:16
<quake3-voice>you've taken the lead.</quake3>

You should see the model I use if they do get to be a pain about it.

jgtrumpet2005
26-12-2006, 22:32
I'm obsessed with only ever fielding fully painted armies. I currently have three forces which I can field at up to 1500 points (working all three up to be able to field 2k at the moment) and have a fourth which I can play up to 500 points.
In an ideal world, this time next year it will be four 2k forces, but I'll probably be sidetracked by something else...

Misanthrope
26-12-2006, 22:42
I also don't like fielding unpainted armies (and I don't like when I see others doing it!). I currently have like 95&#37; of my Army painted, only a couple of models need to be done.

==Me==
26-12-2006, 22:46
The majority of ==My== primary army is painted, not terribly well, but I want to finish it before I go back to college. And I won't even start with ==My== two newer armies.

Slaaneshi Slave
26-12-2006, 23:58
Tomorrow I am going to a GW store to pick up two cans of white spray, two cans of black spray, and a couple of cans of hardcoat, then I can start work on my SoB properly! I think its the having to undercoat everything by hand which has put me off so far. :p

Seth the Dark
27-12-2006, 00:37
My primary army is Death Guard is 100% painted but I did get a Defiler for Christmas so not quite complete.

Meticulous
27-12-2006, 00:49
If by 'painted', you mean physically having paint on a miniature, then 100&#37;.

If by 'painted', you mean full tournament standard, then no.

But then again, maybe I haven't gotten anything done because a good half of my miniatures aren't going towards my main army XD.

"Hmm, I should get that power fist guy painted tonigh- Ooo, I forgot I had primed Thousand Sons. Where's my blue..."

Lord Humongous
27-12-2006, 00:49
75-99&#37; painted, if you count my "primary army" as a 1500 point World Eater force. If you count all the other chaos stuff (including more WE stuff) I have in various states of assembly and painting, its more like 10-25%.
Maybe I should have voted 50-75%, because I'm shooting for a 2500-3000pt WE army. for big games.

I consider "painted" to mean tournament (or at least TT) standard. You know, 3+ colors, details, some shading and highlight, a decent base, and a solid clear coat so they can actually be played with.

LeeJerrum
27-12-2006, 01:06
100&#37; of my Blood Angels army is painted.

I'm a tournament player though so I only tend to buy the things I need to compete! Which kinda hinders me in "friendly" games.

BrainFireBob
27-12-2006, 05:03
Two armies fully painted, two in the works that aren't hitting the table until they're done.

One with badges, etc. I'm not doing waterslides again. Let's here it for stupidly expensive moulded pewter pads!

FraustyTheSnowman
27-12-2006, 05:14
Primary army? *l* yeah, right.

Almost all of my catachans are at least primed, with the exception of one heavy flamer guy and one sergeant. Of course, maybe two thirds of the army is missing arms and or heads.

Maybe three of my fifty vostroyans are painted, but I've changed my mind on color sceme, so they don't count. Half of the bretonian/cadian conversions that go along with them are based, with about a quarter of that painted enough to get an idea of what they'll look like when their done.

Six of my ten DK grenadiers are primed, four of those are painted to the point that I just need a little detailing/highling work and they'll be where I want them. Considering this is what I'm planning on using in my groups april big game I've been giving them the most attention recently.

My LatD is probably my most painted army, as about two thirds of it is in some level of "more than primed" at the moment, but it consists mostly of miniatures that were all part of older armies and necromunda/gorkamorka gangs.

The butt load of tau I bought not too long ago has one eight man firewarrior squad primed and started, with maybe two or three guys with any ammount of real work put into them. This is a prime example of something I was realy Realy REALY psyched to do, and once I got it all got bored with, so chances of this getting any attention in the next year or so is nill at best.

Sold what elysians I had, but one guy out of fifteen was painted and just needed some detailing, the rest being primed. Now I'm starting over with the whole drop troop army idea, so I don't even have miniatures left...

I have one orc painted to a pretty low table standard. Considering all the other projects that take priorty I doubt he'll be seeing any fellow green duders until a few months after the new codex comes out.

A lot of my eldar is painted, though it's all patchwork and random. Two out of my four vypers are painted and look ok, while the other two are ugly plastic grey. My entire whoping horde of eight guardians are in the same exact state as the previously mentioned catachans. My wave serpent is "done" except for the turret. I thought I was making good progress on my jetbikes, and then I discovered ebay, so now that I have twice as many bikes, half as many are painted. Howling banshees don't even have the mould lines taken off.

Oh yeah, and the two tanks I have for my DK themed armored compony, their "painted", but by that I meen they still need to be striped of the paint job from the guy I bought them off of.

Almost forgot the tyranids. Lots of them are painted, and suprisingly close to being done, though just about every painted gaunt I have is painted with a different color scheme, so when you put them all on a table together the term funny looking just dosen't do them justice.

*thinks for a second* yeah, I think that's everything...I think...

BlakLanner
27-12-2006, 06:06
There was a point where all my army was painted. (Un)fortunately, I have been increasing my force faster than I can paint them. Combine that with my lack of interest in painting and no requirement for painted armies where I play, it may take a while for me to get them done.

prince_dios
27-12-2006, 07:17
I'm kind of a nazi about painting. Though of course, the aesthetics are huge part of the hobby. If anyone truly felt otherwise, they'd play with cardboard, ne?

Anyways, the area's Fantasy players are more of a small clique. We play tactically intensive games, test out new units via proxy, use unpainted units, et cetera.

But 40K is immensely popular around here. Why would I play against someone with a grey army, or worse, an army of bases, when there are several other people with fully painted armies at the store at the same time?

Ardathair
27-12-2006, 09:30
Voted 100% because that is what Ifield, or even bring to a game.

What I own, 50%-75%.

Jellicoe
27-12-2006, 09:36
Not painted = not played

Having said that my Nids are going through a transistion as I redo the colour scheme. Still they only get used if they are painted, be it old or new look

Voltaire
27-12-2006, 09:41
Since I only own 500 points of Chaos at the moment, 100% of them have paint.

hiveminion
27-12-2006, 13:25
Both my 'Nid and SM armies are 100&#37; painted, and any models that I add don't see battle until they're fully painted.
Even though I enjoy gaming more than painting and my painting skills are mediocre at best, I think it is an obligatory and potentially fun part of the game.
I *hate* to play against unpainted armies or proxies, and I *hate* to play with them, too. A game is just so much more fun when there are two painted armies duking it out on a table with some nice terrain.

Johnator
27-12-2006, 15:15
Just started last week. Actually finished my first Chaos Space Marine. I will try to post a picture of it tomorrow or tonight :)

Angelwing
27-12-2006, 15:22
all my armies are fully painted. when i add stuff, it never gets fielded until its painted. this encourages me to get stuff done! i still see people who buy loads of stuff, get bored painting it, buy more stuff etc leaving cuboards full of unpainted models! The horror, the horror!

marv335
27-12-2006, 15:54
my current main army is at about 75-99&#37; done.
i coulden't ever put 100%. there is always something i'd like to touch up/add just one more highlight/put more detail on a banner/add more markings/improve the base...
you know how it is.
even my 4 other "finished" armies could probably stand a little work here and there.

archonbrujah
27-12-2006, 16:07
I voted 100%, since, as many have said, it doesn't get fielded if it's not painted.

Of course, I have a huge amount of unpainted, unassembled, minis still in blisters and boxes waited to be done to be used.

That being said, I've been tempted by the dark side (i.e. playing with unpainted) since I'm on my 16th or so army, between 40K and fantasy. You see this really awesome paint scheme or idea for an army, then wham......

New army!

Archonbrujah

Daemon king Mad Dog
27-12-2006, 19:39
100% of my Blood Angels army is painted.

I'm a tournament player though so I only tend to buy the things I need to compete! Which kinda hinders me in "friendly" games.

Lee, think of it this way, you have more versitality for your tournament army for each year, and your army can keep changing so you can find what works best, unless you already have :P if you buy more guys.

Necrovore
27-12-2006, 19:41
Since I've only recently gotten back into the hobby and started assembling my 'nids, I've painted about 25% of my eventual 2000 point force, but my 500 point army is complete.

Livia
27-12-2006, 23:26
My first army was Tyranids, 1500 pts, fully painted. Painted badly (I was 15 when I started), but fully painted all the same. Going to be repainted when I get around to it.

My Space Marines, 3000 pts, fully painted. Again, painted badly. Probably going to be sold as I'm considering starting Ravenwing soon.

Chaos Space Marines, 1200 pts, pretty much fully painted. I've got an Obliterator who's only had base coats done, but is only not finished because I went on a Christmas holiday and haven't gotten back into painting since getting back earlier this week :)

Finally, Dark Eldar, about 1000 pts lying around, only 1 squad fully painted. I haven't actually started playing them yet, I just got them really cheap and intend to get onto them at some point.

William Moran
27-12-2006, 23:30
frankly, if your army aint painted, you are a true weirdo. this hobby is about collecting and painting and playing, if you dont do all three, you is weird beyond words. To doone of the three is weird to not do all three means your mind is fubar.

Rhyskalor
27-12-2006, 23:36
I only field 100&#37; painted minis, even in friendly pick-up games in the store.

Grotsnik
27-12-2006, 23:48
I agree w/ the "fully painted or I don't play it" folks.
I currently have 6 fully painted 1850 pt armies I can use.
IW, Flesh Tearers, Nurgle, dity SM Drop Pod, RT SM, & Emperors Children.

I don't play an army unless it is fully painted and based. :D

Greatoliver
28-12-2006, 00:00
frankly, if your army aint painted, you are a true weirdo. this hobby is about collecting and painting and playing, if you dont do all three, you is weird beyond words. To doone of the three is weird to not do all three means your mind is fubar.

Sorry, that's not true.

This hobby may include gaming, modelling and painting, but some people prefer others.

I personally find painting a chore if there is a lot to do and I find modelling brilliant. So, I often go on a spree of converting to find that I have x many models to paint.Of course, if you prefer painting, you have to make the models in the first place.
Next, if you prefer gaming to the others, you may just make the models and then play as you are not very passionate about the rest.

Finally, you are in no sense or manner weird based upon common morality, though in your mind those people may be, to a grotesque state. I have to disagree with that statement.

..to not do all three means your mind is fubar.

Actually, what you are saying there is that nearly all of the world's population have minds that are clucked up beyond recognition...That's a pretty confident statement.

Oh, should I add that it's of false confidence?

Anvils Hammer
28-12-2006, 00:23
I was so proud to click that "100&#37;" box, and because it took over 2 years to do, Id like to make it clear that my 1500 IG army is painted with 2 highlights standard, more on characters, with full squad markings and extensive freehand on almsot everything, also, everything is converted.

Im damn proud of my army, and Ive just started the painfull process of starting yet another IG army.

nightgant98c
28-12-2006, 05:55
The Tau I play are fully painted, though not particularly well. I have a crap load of minis waiting to be painted. My Eldar is about half, and again, a bunch of stuff still in the package. I think of painting as a necessary evil of the game. I enjoy playing, but the models could be prepainted for all the difference it makes to me.

ShadowKitana
28-12-2006, 17:40

So my whole Gas Mask, Trench Coat and not talking at all during a game was not enough?

Besides, I can always use my favorite line for why my army is not fully painted, I can not tell that it is not fully painted. Then I challenge him and tell him that his models are still look grey to me.

*Note: I am not really color blind but ***** with peoples heads is my favorite thing to do*

cookiescrumble
28-12-2006, 17:48
I have a fully painted 2000pt Deathguard force, although i still have a Land Raider and a FW Dreadnought to paint.

Eldartank
28-12-2006, 17:50
I mentioned in the poll that 100% of my primary army is painted. However, I should add that I play Tyranids, Daemonhunters, Crimson Fists Space Marines, Imperial Guard Armored Company, and Deathwing. They are all 100% painted, although I only have about 1100 points of Crimson Fists right now (I'm working on adding more even as we speak). Ever since I got to the point where I can paint models to look reasonably presentable, I only use fully painted models when I play. I'm also currently working on an Eldar army.

Yeah, I tend to like painting a bit more than playing, so I'm not as good a player as most others. But I do get lots of positive comments about my really nice paint jobs as I'm getting mercilessly slaughtered.

;)

Bloodthirster90
28-12-2006, 18:04
My space marines are exactly 87.179487179487179487179487179487% completed.

theplourde
28-12-2006, 18:06
I can, and regularly do, field an all painted and based Necron force. I have a squad of the old metal warriors in need of some help and a squad of the new plastic ones waiting in the wings as well. The only time I us unpainted Necrons is when we play games at points limits of 2000+

My Nids are all over the place with 50% of my genestealers done and some of the other models being 100% (Carnifex's) to butt nekked (warriors) Generally I only play them in the most casual games and they are at least 50% painted on the table.

I have Chaos in the works but am stalled due to having made no desiscion on a paint scheme (DOH!)

Daemon king Mad Dog
28-12-2006, 18:12
Blood Thirster, you had a lot of time on your hands and you wer bored wern't you?

PS, Blood, if you visit my site i'll visit yours :P

Corporal Chaos
28-12-2006, 21:25
I only play with painted models. So the core of my army is painted but the extras and additions are in a state of needing assembly and paint.

Daemon king Mad Dog
28-12-2006, 22:45
Yeah, I tend to like painting a bit more than playing, so I'm not as good a player as most others. But I do get lots of positive comments about my really nice paint jobs as I'm getting mercilessly slaughtered.

;)

oposite with me :P I'm telling ym opponent how well painted their models are, while doign some merciless killing my self!

Mazorzarch
28-12-2006, 23:00
My primary army is under construction, so less than 10%. (Orks!)
They are phasing out my SMs that are about 75% to 85% painted.

My orks are all going to be painted by the time I go to Dundracon in February.
Anyone else going to that? (if so PM me, and tell me what army your going to use in the tourney.)

Rikka Rakka
29-12-2006, 02:21
Chev all but I paint armies, play em and sell em. Im just starting two new ones, OandG + IG! So nice compact armies to embark on!

tuebor
29-12-2006, 06:34

Or just maybe not everyone has the time to paint 140 Guardsmen before they'll play a game with them.

Apparently I've lived in strange places since nowhere I've lived have I met anyone who won't play with at least a few unpainted models. Having a fully painted army is most certainly a laudable goal and something I respect when I see but it's a bit unrealistic to expect everyone to be able to field fully painted armies.

Dark Apostle197
29-12-2006, 06:48
I (unfortunately) am in the 25-50 percent. At the local GW it used to be you could not play without fully based and painted armies, but once they got rid of that I kind of slowed my painting. I am working on my Word Bearers which is finished except for a termie lord I need, but whenever I feel the need to paint something comes up... like a mordheim league, and now a necromunda league... So yeah. 99&#37; is all primed though :)