PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the BL Horus Heresy background?

mackamus
26-12-2006, 16:15
I have noticed that many debates have flared from the alterations to the background that have occurred with the release of these novels. Was just wondering what was the general concensus of the quality and background revisions caused by this series?

Johnator
26-12-2006, 16:29
I think there are a few flaws such as Horus's rather too quick development of character but it is an excellent series that finally tells the history I have been waiting to read. :D

Daemonslave
26-12-2006, 16:47
Basically, Sabretooth = bad
HH Novels = Quite good

I agree that Horus' change in attitude does seem pretty quick, but you have to remember that between the books Horus Rising and False Gods there is a period of months that pass where Horus does not accept the council of the Mournival but instead relies on Erebus during which he is surely brainwashed by the manipulative Word Bearer.

Even so, this fall from grace is still not described in any particular detail which is something that I think is better. You do not want to give away every single detail of the Horus Heresy since it is the mystery that surrounds it that makes it so popular.

That is the main reason why I hate the Sabretooth fluff, not only is it written poorly with the most cheesy dialogue I have ever read, but it spells out every single thing that is occuring and appears aimed at a target audience of about 5 years old.

While they change established facts of the Heresy, that is not my biggest concern, since all of 40k is based on mythological tales and suspect evidence, you are always going to have some conflicting reports. I really hope that they produce a small peice of writing declaring that the visions series are written by a delusional oracle of the Emperor or something, something that goes on to state that many of the visions he/she had came to pass, but many of them could not be confirmed (not stating which of course).

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant.:angel:

The Judge
26-12-2006, 18:05
I like the novels, but even they suffer from spelling everything out a bit much. Everything except Horus' fall, as far as I'm concerned - that wasn not done enough!

Oh, the Sabretooth dialogue is atrocious.

Johnator
26-12-2006, 19:40
Oh, the Sabretooth dialogue is atrocious.[/QUOTE]

So true.....

Fal
26-12-2006, 20:21
:mad: Sabretooth :wtf:

FieronThor
26-12-2006, 21:42
The HH novels, I think, is some of the best writing (especially Dan Abnett's book) that has come out from the Black Library for a long time.

kobraburdz
26-12-2006, 21:56
I actually liked Horus Rising a lot and False Gods was good to. What I didnt like was that the writing styles of two different authors can sometimes cause tiny inconsistencies in the story and characters, they dont really matter that much but it can be annoying to read. One example is the Imperial Commanders name being Lord Varvaras in book one then in False Gods Graham Mcneil spells it as Varvarus even though the original name is spelled out in the Dramatis Personae.

Kage2020
26-12-2006, 22:05
Perhaps you could offer a third alternative, mackamus? "Meh" would have gotten my vote, indicating neither vehement hatred or sycophantic acceptance! ;)

Kage

Sabbad
26-12-2006, 22:43
The books offer slight fluff discrepancies, in that they stray from that which has already been established (it is categorically stated in Index Astartes that Horus turned to Chaos before Lorgar did).

Nevertheless, these can be forgiven considering the excellent quality of the book, and the way in which it brings this time of legend to life. False Gods was my favourite, for the self-fulfilling prophecy inherent in Horus' fall, and the subtle nature of how the Sons of Horus fall from grace (its not until the book's final battle that you realise how far the legion has come along the path of damnation).

Brushmonkey
26-12-2006, 23:05
The one thing that made me laugh is where someone curses, 'by the holy throne!', when the Emperor hasn't built it yet...

I think its in False Gods.

I really like the series however, Space Marines being hardasses.:)

Light of the Emperor
26-12-2006, 23:12
Having read most of the BL, I have to say the series is my favorite. Its great to finally get some real indepth history of the HH instead of few stories here and there in WD and other sources. Plus, its great to see how every character develops ie Lucius, Kharn, Abaddon, Fabius Bile, etc.

Khaine's Messenger
26-12-2006, 23:59
It's alright. Nothing fantastic, but certainly worthy of consideration, especially on the finer points of the Emperor's possible motivations and plans, but then just like the Inquisition War, a fine idea will not in itself carry a story.

Sergeant Tanthius
27-12-2006, 04:14
The one thing that made me laugh is where someone curses, 'by the holy throne!', when the Emperor hasn't built it yet...

I think its in False Gods.

I really like the series however, Space Marines being hardasses.:)

Umm...There WAS a throne, just not the GOLDEN Throne. It was the toilet seat the Emperor was on, without all the life supporting devices...:p

I love the HH series. Some of the best books BL has published.

I can't wait for Flight of Einsinstien, I almost did an army on them...

Gearux
27-12-2006, 13:21
I think that the HH books are some of the best that BL has released

demiourgos
27-12-2006, 13:48
One aspect of the series where it succeeds is conveying the depth and breadth of the 40K universe with an obvious focus on the Imperium. The inclusion of Xenos without an army list to propel the arc of the series is just one facet that effectively conveys that there's a great big universe out there not encompassed by rules and models and cards.

Meticulous
27-12-2006, 21:00
I much prefer the BL take on the Heresy to Sabretooth's, as has been mentioned.

Mostly, of course, it's because of the differing takes on Magnus the Red; BL's 'he wasn't too bad a guy, at least he tried' version to ST's 'he was a dick who deserved to have the Wolves set on him' version.

And, of course, being able to see Horus before and after the fall gives the whole matter a new depth of emotion.

Kegluneq
27-12-2006, 21:54
I cast the lucky 42nd vote, yay!

I love the Horus Heresy books - I think they're amongst the best books BL have produced, and they tell us just as much as we need to know. Conflicts with earlier fluff isn't really a problem as far as I can see, it's pretty much always in a state of flux anyway.

The Emperor
27-12-2006, 22:32
The books offer slight fluff discrepancies, in that they stray from that which has already been established (it is categorically stated in Index Astartes that Horus turned to Chaos before Lorgar did).

It does? I'm gonna have to look that up. If that's the case, then it contradicts even older fluff. In the 2nd edition Codex: Chaos, it's stated explicitly that "even before Horus had been corrupted, Lorgar began to worship the gods of Chaos".

Brothergrimm
27-12-2006, 22:44
Indifferent since both the BL and Saber tooth books have/well end before they get to my chapter/legion.

Till the sword is reforged.

Johnator
27-12-2006, 22:50
I hope in the next few books they focus a lot on the other primarchs. Seeing some more of their history would be interesting.

Norminator
27-12-2006, 23:08
I love the Horus Heresy novels and I really think that they are a great addition to the background. It brings (and this will sound terribly cliched) a more personal perspective on the events, combining good old battles akin to things like the Space Wolf novels with a huge, epic setting.

Just one thing I noted reading Galaxy in Flames; Euphrati referes to Qruze as being born on Cthonia, but I thought that in Horus Rising it said he was made to fight with the Emperor on Terra and still saluted in the old way?

Nazguire
28-12-2006, 00:17
I love the Horus Heresy novels and I really think that they are a great addition to the background. It brings (and this will sound terribly cliched) a more personal perspective on the events, combining good old battles akin to things like the Space Wolf novels with a huge, epic setting.

Just one thing I noted reading Galaxy in Flames; Euphrati referes to Qruze as being born on Cthonia, but I thought that in Horus Rising it said he was made to fight with the Emperor on Terra and still saluted in the old way?

Another slight discrepancy between the differing authors. It would have made mores sense just to allow Abnett or McNeill write the whole trilogy themselves, so we don't have these errors.

FieronThor
28-12-2006, 00:23
I think it's nice to see different viewpoints of the same narrative path, by using the various authors. But I think they could of fleshed out Galaxy in Flames a lot more.

evil space marine
28-12-2006, 16:15
The horus heresy explains why the imperium is the way it is,the authers have done an good job explaining that.

x-esiv-4c
29-12-2006, 05:01
The HH BL series started off with a bang and much like the big one that started it all, just kind of fizzled out...

Norminator
29-12-2006, 07:29
Fizzled out? I personally thought that Galaxy in Flames was by quite a way the more dramatic of the books.

DeathStrike
29-12-2006, 12:55
Hurrah my first post!! :) Well from what I've read so far (half way through False Gods!) I'm really liking it - does make you see the legions and characters in a new light! Also I like the idea of different authors writing the different books!

Killgore
30-12-2006, 00:26
I'v just finished reading Horus Rising and False Gods and hopefuly when I'm in town latter today the book shop will have Galexy in Flames in stock

I'v enjoyed reading the first 2 in the series and admitatly I'v got alittle bored with the 41st millenium, the 31st sounds far more interesting! (come on gw, release a Horus Heresy expansion, we all want it!)

Diomedes
30-12-2006, 00:42
I'v enjoyed reading the first 2 in the series and admitatly I'v got alittle bored with the 41st millenium, the 31st sounds far more interesting! (come on gw, release a Horus Heresy expansion, we all want it!)

I was thinking about that very thing just the other day, "Space Marine" was originaly set during the Heresy as was "Adeptus Titanicus" and I loved both those games.

I was thinking though about a 40k based game with lots of old marks of Space Marine Armour and Primarch figures.

A little like a "40k historical" game :D

I haven't got round to getting any of the BL Horuse Heresy books yet but from what I have read here and on the net, its looking very likely that will change.

Rikka Rakka
30-12-2006, 03:04
I generally dont get on with the BL books at all but I found each of these compelling. The whole first 100 pages of Horus Rising had me scratching my head wondering if it wasnt revisionist history!

Horus does turn too quick over the books in my opinion though. When he first comes in he's a failrly interesting character but by the time that hes done hes a moustache twirling villain of the highest degree. Its nice how Erebus convinces him of his cause in the vision of the future though....Not to say too much!

x-esiv-4c
30-12-2006, 04:22
Fizzled out? I personally thought that Galaxy in Flames was by quite a way the more dramatic of the books.

IMHO GIF pretty much decimated any character building that was involved in the other books. It rendered the colourful characters into mindless automotanks.