PDA

View Full Version : Your Ideal Tomb Kings Army List

UvulaBob
11-07-2005, 22:36
It seems I've gone on a buying spree and have seemingly more Tomb King models than I need. If I were to use all of them I'd easily have over 4000 points of Tomb Kings. The problem is nobody in my group plays that many points.

So here's what I've got, and maybe some people here can tell me right off the bat what I don't need. I know that having more models than you need is good for flexibility, but I'd rather recoup the money on models that most people agree aren't that useful in the army to begin with.

4 or 5 boxes of warriors (Do I need this many boxes?)
2 boxes of horsemen (I want one unit of Heavies, and I'm thinking Light Horsemen are a waste in a non-marching army. )
1 Box of chariots
2 Tomb Scorpions (Do I really need two?)
1 Bone Giant
3 Ushabti
4 Carrion
15 Tomb Guard - Full Command
1 Tomb King on Chariot
1 Icon Bearer on foot and horse
1 Lich Priest on foot and horse
1 Casket of Souls
1 Catapult
1 Blister of two tomb swarm

vypyr
12-07-2005, 01:37
when it came to warriors, i had a unit of 34 spearmen that worked wonders for me with a tomb prince on foot leading them. as im used to playing with elves, their archers didnt appeal to me at all, and i would never consider taking them in anything other than a siege game. having a solid core of spears worked great i found. fear + outnumber + many attacks + magic = kick ass

use the chariots. once you learn how to use these right, they will become your best friend

i'd take the carrion for war machine and wizard hunting, and take 1 tomb scorpion for killing heroes and the intimidation factor they immediatly bring to the table

and definatly take as many spell casting characters as possible. its pretty obvious that magic support is vital to tomb kings

i found tomb swarms to be no good. swarms are good for holding up enemy units, but since these swarms are undead, they die twice as fast and dont really do the job

as for the rest, i can only say experiment and see what tickles your fancy the most

Thunkorknivor
12-07-2005, 14:05
This is what you need:

1 Lich High Priest
1 Lich Priest with a Casket of Souls
2 Tomb Princes
24 Skeletons with LA, Shields and FC
24 Skeletons with LA, Shields and FC
2 Tomb Swarms
20 Tomb Guards with FC
1 Tomb Scorpion
1 Skull Catapult
4 or was it 5 Carrion

Once I made a fun, balanced and very solid TK list out of this for a friend. He's had a lot of success with it at tourneys and such. It's of course important how you equip your characters and so on, but I won't go into that now as it seems that you only want model-ish advice atm. All in all, it makes for a very durable list with a defensive touch and a few nasty surprise elements. The comp is usually quite good, even though the magic is hilariously strong.

Well, just a suggestion really..

Mooglemen
12-07-2005, 14:17
After your Tomb Scorpions, you said "(Do I really need two?)"

In short... yes, you do. Hell, get three, get four, get as many as you have special slots. (ok, maybe not quite that many, but two are good to have)

DisturbeD_
14-07-2005, 20:41
yes, i have been on the reciving end of those blasted tomb scorpins they are very good, but it all depends on what sort of armys you genrally face

corben_da
09-08-2005, 09:54
my tk 2000pts army:
tomb king: 271pts
golden ankhra, armour of the gods, vambracers of the sun, great weapon, general
tomb prince: 154pts
blade of setep, light armour, shield
liche priest: 165pts
neferras plaques of..., cloack of dunes, hierophant
liche priest: 140pts
dispel scroll

38 x skeleton warriors: 430pts
full command, spear & shield, light armour, banner of undying legion
10 x skeleton warriors: 80pts
- bows
3 x chariots: 120pts
21 x tomb guard: 332pts
full command, mirage standard
3 x ushabti: 195pts
screaming skull catapult: 120pts
skulls of the foe

2007pts (i could take one skeleton out of 38 or something to get below 2000)

fubukii
09-08-2005, 20:17
lots of talk about tomb kings recently i hope this means more people are planning on starting them :)

DarkArchon
21-09-2008, 19:46
It's my first army so i hope i've picked well! :D Feedback welcome.

T.King - 170
Armour of the Ages - 35
Golden Ankhra - 45
Great Weaopn - 6 -256

Liche Priest - 115
Casket of souls - 165 -280

Liche Priest - 115
Steed - 8
Staff of ravening - 45 -168

Skeleton W x15 - 120
Musician - 5
Standard - 10
Light Armour - 15
Spears and Shields - 15 -165

Skeleton W x17 - 136
Musician - 5
Standard - 10
Light Armour - 17
Spears and Shields - 17 -165

Skeleton W x10 - 120
Bows -120

Heavy Horsemen x8 - 128
Standard - 14 -142

Chariot x3 - 120
Standard - 20 -140

Tomb Guard x20 - 240
Champion - 12
Musician - 6
Standard - 12 -270

Ushabti x3 - 195 -195

Screaming Skull Catapult - 90
Skull of the Foe - 20 -110

Total - 2011

I can also change it to remove the casket and the catapult for a bone giant

Makarion
21-09-2008, 20:38
Drop the heavy horse to a unit of 5 at the most - or drop them altogether, to be honest.

Drop two Tomb Guard (6*3 works fine for them). Give them a banner - Undying Legion, warbanner or Rakaph.

The liche priset on the Casket needs the collar to siphon off wounds to a nearby unit (say, archers), or he'll be shot to pieces.

PopeAlexanderVI
21-09-2008, 23:25
drop the heavy horses and get at least 1 tomb scorpion.

Makaber
21-09-2008, 23:48
Heavy Horses aren't as bad as people say, but they're not exactly great either so I think you can safely ditch them and spend the points elsewhere.

I'm not a fan of the Casket, you're investing enough in characters as it is, plus it leaves one of your Priests horribly exposed, and robs him of the mobility he'd need to properly support an advancing offensive Tomb Kings army. And it sorta plays itself, which I think is a little boring.

Speaking of characters, I'd highly recommend you get a third Priest in there. Magic is everything for Tomb Kings.

If you go with a King on foot (which is perfectly okay, I do so myself), I'd suggest giving Destroyer of Eternities a go sometime. It's absolutely crazy.

I'm not too sure about spears on Skeletons. Never tried them myself, but I don't see when the extra attacks would be better than a better armour save. Considering how little points Tomb Kings get to play around with, I think you can safely drop them on at least one of the units.

And if you find you have some points to spare (hah!), then a fourth Ushabti and/or Chariot might be a good bet.

Scorpions are good, but I think they're a tad hyped. Still, a great bargain and I'd certainly recommend at least one, possibly two. I use two most of the time, but I'm starting to think one Scorpion and a unit of Carrion is better, just because of the flexibility.

march10k
22-09-2008, 13:04
I intend to try a different approach. I insist on fielding a chariot-mounted king, so no LHP for me, at least not at 2k points, which is my target starter army. I'm looking at:

two small units of chariots, one with the king

two small units of archers to cover the flanks of:

one block of twenty tomb guard with full command

two scorpions

casket

mounted priest

SSC with SotF

The last element is variable. I'll try first to put a prince in the tomb guard, and try to finesse my way through the magic phase with two priests, some scrolls, and the casket. If I find myself overwhelmed, I'll make a change to a third priest in lieu of the prince.

DarkArchon
22-09-2008, 19:27
Okay so how's this

T.King - 170
Armour of the Ages - 35
Golden Ankhra - 45
Great Weaopn - 6 -256

Liche Priest - 115
Staff of ravening -45
Cloak of the dunes -20 -180

Liche Priest - 115
Staff of ravening -45

Skeleton W x15 - 120
Musician - 5
Standard - 10
Light Armour - 15

Skeleton W x17 - 136
Musician - 5
Standard - 10
Light Armour - 17
Spears and Shields - 17 -185

Skeleton W x10 - 80
Bows -0

Chariot x3 - 120
Standard - 20 -140

Tomb Guard x20 - 240
Champion - 12
Musician - 6
Standard + Banner of undying legion*- 37 -295

Ushabti x3 - 195 -195

Bone Giant - 220

Total - 2006

OR

Liche Priest - 115
Staff of ravening - 45
Cloak of the dunes -20 -180 (Instead of the bone giant) P.S i rally want a bone giant. They look cool, have good stats . . plus i already bought one :D

Total - 1966

*does this banner mean i can only cast this spell only on this unit?

Makarion
22-09-2008, 22:09
Okay so how's this

T.King - 170
Armour of the Ages - 35
Golden Ankhra - 45
Great Weaopn - 6 -256

Liche Priest - 115
Staff of ravening -45

Liche Priest - 115
Staff of ravening -45

Liche priests can have only 50 pts in magic items, and each item can be represented only once (powerstones and dispel scrolls excepted).

I'd drop the staff on your first priest for a Hieratic Jar, and the gear on your second for 2 dispel scrolls.

Skeleton W x15 - 120
Musician - 5
Standard - 10
Light Armour - 15

Skeleton W x17 - 136
Musician - 5
Standard - 10
Light Armour - 17
Spears and Shields - 17 -185

Personally, I don't find the spears to be worth points - quite the opposite. Stick with hw&s, or bows.

Skeleton W x10 - 80
Bows -0

Chariot x3 - 120
Standard - 20 -140

Standard? If you're going to risk losing 100 VP, at least give them a warbanner as well.

Tomb Guard x20 - 240
Champion - 12
Musician - 6
Standard + Banner of undying legion*- 37 -295

Ushabti x3 - 195 -195

Bone Giant - 220

The bone giant never seems to hit for me - he's way too expensive for his measly WS 3. Get at least 1 scorpion, and maybe a unit of carrion, a second scorpion, a 4th chariot - plenty of options.

Total - 2006

You're some points over...

OR

Liche Priest - 115
Staff of ravening - 45
Cloak of the dunes -20 -180 (Instead of the bone giant) P.S i rally want a bone giant. They look cool, have good stats . . plus i already bought one :D

Total - 1966

*does this banner mean i can only cast this spell only on this unit?

Yes, it does.

Comments in line.

march10k
24-09-2008, 11:06
Yeah, the 6 points over sticks in my craw in a big way.

I'd take four chariots, not three...especialy if the fourth one has a king in it!

I agree about not taking spears on the skellies.

Always max out your character choices, and always take it easy on the wargear. Four cheap characters is better than three pimped ones. Why? more incantations for the enemy to have to disspell, and in the case of king/prince, a HUGE boost in the combat effectiveness of a key unit. Personally, I'd drop the ushabti for the third priest. They fill much the same roll as the giant and the tomb guard, that is front line melee combat. They're better than the giant, but since you already have the model, I won't try and talk you out of it. Oh, and if you're taking that many units of stock skeletons, you might as well take a prince and high priest. The big benefit to taking a king is core chariots, and you aren't taking advantage of that, really.

And get some scorpions, they rock!!!