PDA

View Full Version : Black Coach viable in Army of Sylvania?

Divine Shadow
26-12-2006, 23:21
Is it worth 175 points? I'd say, probably not, but I really like the concept so I'll probably use one.

Khorneflakes
26-12-2006, 23:37
i think you have answered your own question there buddy.:D

Divine Shadow
26-12-2006, 23:47
I know what I thought, I just wanted to know what everyone else thought.

lorelorn
27-12-2006, 00:08
Yes, the idea of two coaches is generally better than the actuality. Though two terror-causing figures is nothing to sniff at, there are better ways to spend 350 points in a Sylvanian list.

I recently played a 5000 point battle using Sylvania, and included two Black Coaches. I will be putting the report on my blog over the next week if you're interested in seeing how they went.

vampires are cool!
27-12-2006, 11:28
Actualy i've never lost when i've included a coach - even in my regular list. thats why i dont know why everyone is so pissed about them. When i took two in my AoS i apsolutly creamed my opponants - even the dwarf slayer and Archaons Horde armies were obliterated.
The timly charge of them has saved my butt more than once. Like i say, i have no complants about them.

EvC
27-12-2006, 14:13
Actualy i've never lost when i've included a coach - even in my regular list. thats why i dont know why everyone is so pissed about them. When i took two in my AoS i apsolutly creamed my opponants - even the dwarf slayer and Archaons Horde armies were obliterated.

Given that the vast majority of Slayers you killed with the Coach would have yielded 10VP for the enemy, how did you win so massively?

kebabi
27-12-2006, 19:27
I take my coach every now and then.

Only got one, but in AoS I can imagine it being quite effective...well, atleast if you take 2 ;)

What I like about it is that a) it's very though (incredibly, with it's 5 wounds, T6, +4 save and +5 inv. save!) and b) it has a very long charge move and the possibility to do quite a bit of damage is neat.
Of course, dire wolves move faster, and Black Knights hit harder - but it's nice as a sort of in-between dealio.
Too bad it doesn't have scythed wheels though (rolled a 2 on impact hits last time I played :D )

vampires are cool!
27-12-2006, 22:07
Given that the vast majority of Slayers you killed with the Coach would have yielded 10VP for the enemy, how did you win so massively?

Capturing banners, capturing table quarters, having less of my army die, anialation on a general scale, the usual. Tell me, how do you win a game?

EvC
27-12-2006, 23:49
I usually win a game by killing more than my opponent does. That goes out the window with Slayers, however. If you are doing most of your killing with Strength or Tougness 5 models against Slayers (e.g. Black Coach, Vampires), then you are barely winning any victory points when you wipe out entire units, and your regular S3/4 troopers will not be taking many down themselves. If you did manage to wipe out most or all of the enemy, got their standards and table edges even then it'd be barely a solid victory against Slayers- you must have had a good game :)

vampires are cool!
28-12-2006, 18:34
Fortunatly I hate the dwarf player with all the power my twisted soul can muster, this enables me to devise the most diabloical scemes and somewho affect my dice rolls

Cromenon
28-12-2006, 20:16
in large games BC worths its points, but in a 2k game taking the 10% of your army in a single miniature is quite risked, because either a cannon or a bolthrower or anything stronger than 7 can put your chariot into orbit... that´s why i don´t use it so much

chase123
29-12-2006, 07:07
It's the only thing in your army that can get killed by a single cannon shot.

It's slightly more viable in a Sylvania list because you can get two and you can get them for 175.

If you're taking them for any other reason than drawing the artillery shots, I say pass.

Von Wibble
31-12-2006, 15:36
I have played VC a number of times. I find that the black coach suffers badly because it can't win combats with a head on charge unless supported. But it costs 175 pts - a little expensive for this purpose when the undead army has access to so many other support units that are 1) cheaper and 2) just as effective. Anyone facing undead will improve their psychology anyway so terror is not all its cracked up to be.

What can support it? Dire wolves/ fell bats often provide free cr for teh opponent, ghouls are too slow, lone wolf form vampire is too vulnerable (poor impact hits and cr could killl him) - black knights are expensive and usually can do the job without the coach.

But the banshee otoh is amazing for the points. Take an extra one of these instead - kills knights. Dead.

Frankly
01-01-2007, 01:55
I ran 2 coaches backing up a very fast armylist of 60-ish dire wolves, bats, a B.knight units, thralls in wolf form and all 4 thralls had summon wolves.

The coaches worked Excellently in this armylist, they were extremely potent because they were well supported and the armylist amassed alot of threats by turn 2 making it hard for the opponants to think a the coaches as a viable option to target.

DeathlessDraich
01-01-2007, 11:09
2 Bcoaches as many have said sound better than reality. I tried 2 BCs in a small tournament. They fared well if they first encounter a small unit and accumulate wounds. Other than that they became targets for VP and totally ineffective against armies with S7 or cannonballs.
Sylvania has better options than 2 BCs - summon wolves etc.

gukal
02-01-2007, 19:43
The Coaches are highly situational. They excel against average leadership armies with little or no artillery. Conversely, unless your list is tailored to battle a gunline, you'd be feeding points to the Empire cannons.

Therefore, many VC players hesitate to build an all-comers tournament list that includes a Coach.

I have taken Coaches to tournaments and the performance has been acceptable. I definitely keep them in mind for campaigns and other special events where I can better predict the army I'll be facing.

- Gukal

Valkyrie
03-01-2007, 12:01
The thing is that Coaches..is it better than Banshees? do they do more work (killing, making enemy flee) depends on the oponent. since it may vary by different armies, as long as its not fighting against high Ld valued opponents, I found it pretty useful against hord armies.... but... it was ripped into pieces by warp lightning cannon...

anyway on the other hand, comparing with normal VC army which may only have 1 I would think that 2 of them charging into 1 unit will be good enough to panic the opponent.

Malleus8
05-01-2007, 16:29
I love the black coach, it's always interesting and fun to play with