PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic Skill: To Hit score ?????

VainEnd
27-12-2006, 01:42
I am new to the Warhammer Fantasy game and have just got the rule book and am attempting to learn the rule before really starting any armies although I am interested in orc's and Slaneshie Chaos, any ways I digress. I have run in to a problem understanding the "Ballistic Skill: To Hit score." For BS 6 you need a minimum D6 role of 1 but any role of one is an automatic miss, that one I can figure out on my own, however for BS 7 you need a 0 .. um no 0 on a D6 for, BS 8 you need -1 for 9 you need -2 and for BS 10 you need -3 but it doesn't explain how you get a 0, -1, -2, -3, if any one can help me out it would be great! Because I am all :wtf: and :confused:

Any help is appreciated

Stouty
27-12-2006, 01:54
Well no matter how good a shot you are a 1 will always fail; you need 2+

The importance of being an even higher BS is that once you start adding in modifiers your chances of hitting drop dramatically.

For example, 2 models are shooting at a unit of skirmishers at long range and in hard cover. 1 of them is BS 5 and one is BS 10. (a +4 modifier)

For the BS 5 model it is 6s to hit (2+4=6)

For the BS 10 model it is 1s to hit (-3+4), but since a 1 always fails he is effectively hitting on 2s.

So while on easy shots it makes little difference on the tougher ones it comes into play more.

VainEnd
27-12-2006, 01:58
man, I totally get it now, thank you so much

T10
27-12-2006, 11:05
That's great, because Stouty seems to have taken some shortcuts with his math. The conclusion is correct, though.

A shot at a skirmisher in hard cover at long range has a -4 penalty to hit, not a +4. Now, GW likes to apply the modifiers to the roll itself, though I personally count penalty to the BS.

Modify the roll: a BS 6 shot requires a 1+ to hit. Roll the die. If it comes up as a 1 it is a miss regardless. Otherwise you apply the modifier (-4) to the number rolled on the die. If you rolled a 3, that is modifed to -1 (miss). If you rolled a 5, that is modified to 1 (hit).

Modify the BS: a BS 6 shot with a -4 penalty is the equivalent of a BS 2 shot with no modifiers, meaning a 5+ to hit.

-T10

Stouty
27-12-2006, 21:41
Yes but a model with BS 1 with a -1 penalty is BS 0 and therefore can't hit at all. Right?

For me it's just easier to adjust the roll (so it's 6s +1=7s).

Neither way is right or wrong.

PS/ Love the magic card

Corrupt
27-12-2006, 22:10
Simple
BS+Diceroll+Modifiers =7 or more is hit, rolls of one auto miss.

Modifiers make shots harder even for BS 10 people. Most commonly these are skirmishers (-1 to hit) cover(-1 for soft -2 for hard) and long range (over half range of weapon, -1)

Festus
27-12-2006, 22:46
Hi

Yes but a model with BS 1 with a -1 penalty is BS 0 and therefore can't hit at all. Right?
No. A model with a characteristic of BS=0 cannot shoot.

The modifiers are counted to the to-hit-score you rolled.

Example: A model with a BS of 5 wants to move, then shoot at a target at long range.
It needs a (BS + die-roll X + modifiers >= 7) which is (X >= 2) basic.
Then it has a modifier for movement (-1), another one for long range (-1). Now it is (BS + die-roll X + (-1) + (-1) >= 7) or (5+X-1-1 >= 7) or (3+X >= 7) or (X >= 4).
It needs a 4 or more to hit the target.

Festus

Kensai X
27-12-2006, 23:45
Quickie Question:

When you fire multiple shots do all of the shots use the modifier or just all shots after the first? An example my new Empire Pistoliers know fire 2 shots at a Ballisitc Skill of 3. Do they fire two shots hitting on a 5+ or one shot on a 4+ and one on a 5+?

Also if one fires more than 2 shots does the modifier continue to stack? As in if I fire a repeating Hand gun would the second shot hit on 4+ and the third on a 5+?

Griefbringer
28-12-2006, 08:23
Multiple shot is -1 to hit for all the shots, including the first.

And it is only -1 in total regardless of how many multiple shots are fired by the model.