PDA

View Full Version : New IG player seeking advice

grimsnagga
27-12-2006, 01:50
After a few years of 40K, playing first as Eldar and later as Orks, I have finally succumed to a long avoided impluse and started working on a Guard army. I've got models for a basic core force (1 HQ and 2 Troops), I'm thinking about how to expand and I'm interested in some advice.

My concept (yes, I'm a themed army kinda guy) is a Fateris Militia army, loyal to a mildly heretical bishop (mildly heretic not only for the reason of raising his own army in defiance of the Decree Passive). It's a light combat force, primarily geared for urban combat and composed mostly of hive gangers and radical Imperial cultists.

I've selected the Light Infantry and Priests doctrines and I'm inclinded toward the Heavy Weapon Platoons and Support Squads doctrines, but I'm not wed to them yet. I can't settle on a fifth doctrine. Because of the army's theme, I'm inclinded to avoid the usual tank heavy guard army, at least at first.

Right now the only unit I have painted and assembled is the Command HQ:

Sister Angeline, Frateris Militia Command Squad (128 pts): Junior officer w. plasma pistol & close combat weapon, 2 guardsmen w. laspistol & close combat weapons, guardsman w. flamer, frag grenades, light infantry
Brother Edward: Priest w. bolt pistol, mastercrafted close combat weapon, frag grenades

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would appreciated.

Quin 242
27-12-2006, 01:58
Buy a STACK of guardsmen figs.
The cadians are nice for the $$$ you get all the tools you need to build most basic squads (minus the heavy weapons of course)

You need to have at least 25 men per troops choice and since you need 2 troops choices....

As for your current unit. Instead of master crafting.. make the brother's CCW a power weapon instead. Re-rolling to hit a S3 WS3 club isn't worth the points to master craft it.
You also seem to be missing a guardsman in there?

BUT from your fluff.. it might be a better idea to take sisters as your main army?
That way you can actually take Frateris Zealots? Use the IG as inducted guard for bulk but thist gets you some hard support units in the form of sisters and still allows you some guardsmen.
Not sure that hive gangers would be skilled enough to take doctrines... So this might be a better way of representing your theme?

Lord Malek The Red Knight
27-12-2006, 02:17
Brother Edward: Priest w. bolt pistol, mastercrafted close combat weapon, frag grenades
why Mastercraft the CCW? he gets a re-roll on the charge anyway. :p

a "hidden" Eviscerator would probably be a much better weapon for him, to be honest ("hidden" in the squad because he isnt an IC). seems a waste to not give him at least a Power Weapon.

~ Tim

grimsnagga
27-12-2006, 02:34
You also seem to be missing a guardsman in there?

You're right. Typo. I've actually got 3 guardsmen with pistols & ccws in the squad. (I checked, just to be sure. They're on the table behind me. :) )

BUT from your fluff.. it might be a better idea to take sisters as your main army?

Truthfully, I started a Battle Sisters army but then my wife saw them. She enjoys wargaming, and had a couple of false starts with eldar but never quite got into them. She fell in love with the Battle Sisters models. So, I gave her most all of my Witchhunter stuff and went back to orks. Still, I had enough IG and random human models from my false start that I started working on a heretics army to fight against her Witchhunters... so was Bishop Casius Theodorus and his militia born. (More than you ever wanted to know, I'm sure.)

grimsnagga
27-12-2006, 02:37
why Mastercraft the CCW? he gets a re-roll on the charge anyway. :p

a "hidden" Eviscerator would probably be a much better weapon for him, to be honest ("hidden" in the squad because he isnt an IC). seems a waste to not give him at least a Power Weapon.

~ Tim

That's two votes for the power weapon (the models painted and a personal favortite, so I can't change weapons now). I think I may take that advice. :) I'm thinking of including another priest with an eviscerator in one of the other command platoons.

Quin 242
27-12-2006, 02:52
That's two votes for the power weapon (the models painted and a personal favortite, so I can't change weapons now).
All you gotta do is paint the head/blade/point of whatever weapon he has with a different color.. maybe even just add a wash over it if it's metallic
(I used a blue wash over chainmail for my power weapons) and viola.. easy change.

sigur
27-12-2006, 03:03
Basically, all the tactical advice you could ever need can be found in the Tactica: IG thread (see my signature for the link). Welcome to the Imperial Guard, comrade.:)

Codsticker
27-12-2006, 03:16
Please follow Sigur's advice- it's an excellent thread! :)

I think that your choice of Support Squads is excellent for an urban themed army and they can also be effective. As far as your heavy Weapon's platoons are concerned, how were you planning on arming them? At the opposite end of the effectiveness scale is Mortar Squads,however, they are very appropriate for an urban themed army.

Angelus Mortis
27-12-2006, 03:40
I would go with what you have and take Veterans Doctrine to represent the Bishops elite guard. You could make some very cool bodyguards with pistol/ccw.

Voltaire
27-12-2006, 09:44
If I was going with this army, I would probably take the Conscripts doctrine to represent some sort of frothing horde of lunatics that your priest has converted to the light of Chaos.

Aundae
27-12-2006, 09:55
If it is mostly to fight your wife's Witch Hunter army, I would go with the Witch Hunter Adversaries in the back of the Witch Hunter Codex and forget doctrines all together. It has an Apostate Cardinal, Rogue Psyker, Traitors, practically everything you need. Also if being a "legit" army (for play outside of the home) is an issue, it is really close to a Lost and the Damned army in the Codex Eye of Terror so switching it out is not that big of a deal. That's just my two bits though. :)

grimsnagga
27-12-2006, 12:38
I considered the Lost and Damned route, but I don't want to take Space Marines or Daemons and they don't have any other HQ choices. I'm pretty set on IG.

Captain Micha
27-12-2006, 13:09
new Ig player here too. first off. I love your fluff. Its almost the opposite of my own! *mine still follow Imperial Truth. happens when your forces have been shut out of the Imperium for over 10k years lol* They don't even know there has been a "heresy" yet hehe

sorry for not having a useful contribution lol

ashc
27-12-2006, 13:12
I considered the Lost and Damned route, but I don't want to take Space Marines or Daemons and they don't have any other HQ choices. I'm pretty set on IG.

Actually, the vanilla LATD HQ options are the Arch-Heretic and Aspiring Champions, which by counts-as doesn't neccessarily mean they have to be space marines; i always liked the idea of an arch-heretic being the equivalent of a traitor Inquisitor for instance.

Ash