PDA

View Full Version : Shadow in the Warp and the Souls of the slain.

LostTemplar
12-07-2005, 00:24
So, here's the question for you all.

After reading the new Tyranid Codex (which, I liked, except for a few minor details), there is no mention, whatsoever, to what comes to be from the souls of those slain in order to satisfy the Hunger from the Hive Mind.

Any theories/Fluff to explain what exactly happens to those?

Nazguire
12-07-2005, 00:29
So, here's the question for you all.

After reading the new Tyranid Codex (which, I liked, except for a few minor details), there is no mention, whatsoever, to what comes to be from the souls of those slain in order to satisfy the Hunger from the Hive Mind.

Any theories/Fluff to explain what exactly happens to those?

Well in my opinion, nothing really happens other than they go to wherever they go normally. But knowing GW, they will make the Tyranids death to your souls, not just bodies :eyebrows:

Anyhow, just because the Shadow blanks out the warp doesn't mean in my opinon, that it cancels it out completely. It just makes it incredibly hard for Astropaths, Navigators, Librarians etc to locate to make use of. :eek:

Xhalax
12-07-2005, 00:36
I always thought that the Nids wouldn't be bothered with such things as the souls of the slain. Just the raw material they get from the dead.

As to the Shadow of the Warp blocking the souls from returning to wherever it is they're supposed to go.....I've never really thought about it. Though in truth I see the Shadow being an extreme distortion of the Warp rather than blocking it completely. So the souls can still return to the Warp once slain...though they might have to take a detour.

Brusilov
12-07-2005, 06:17
The Nids are not concerned with the souls of the slain, but only with their bodies and biomass.
The Shadow in the Warp does not nullify the warp nor does it thickens the veil between the material world and the warp. It overloads the warp with the psychic communications from millions of Tyranids, which explains the difficulty to communicate and travel as this unsettles the warp.
And thus souls can return to the warp to be devoured by daemons... :rolleyes:

LostTemplar
12-07-2005, 11:16
Ah, yes. But unlike the Necrons Codex, there is no reference to that happening. thats my issue here? And of course, there's that dramatic sentence right in the end of the New Tyranid codex...

Vaya
12-07-2005, 11:43
Yeah, well, for all we know Johnny the local Armageddon Hive idiot said that while talking about cooties...

Xhalax
12-07-2005, 12:18
It overloads the warp with the psychic communications from millions of Tyranids, which explains the difficulty to communicate and travel as this unsettles the warp.

Like millions of people shouting in a small room. It's nearly impossible to be heard over the greater din.....at least at any sort of range.

El_Machinae
12-07-2005, 18:02
I'd imagine that the souls freed in the district of the Shadow have a tougher time getting where they want to go. There could be a veritable, and traumatizing, task of making the transition to whatever souls want to do when freed. This means that the souls might end up being weakend, or maybe more likely to be traumatized and hostile.

Brusilov
12-07-2005, 18:04
Indeed, quite so, although personally I'd say that not all Nids are full psykers (which would be represent in the rules). Most of them are just passive psykers, they receive psychic instructions from the synapse creatures and obey them, possibly transmitting it at close range with other members of the brood. Active psykers are the synapse creatures, they can both send and receive and that takes serious psychic potential (as mentioned in the Eisenhorn books, or is it the =I= rulebook...)

Could please refresh my memory on that sentence, I don't have my Codex on hand ATM. However personally I'd take it very carefully and be very mindful of the context in which it is written.
There is nothing to indicate that Nids are interested in souls. IMHO they don't even understand that concept. How could they when they're a gestalt intelligence whose consciousness is made of millions of creatures. Souls would require individuality, something the Nids are completely lacking.

El_Machinae
12-07-2005, 18:08
Brusilov,

I don't know if souls necessitate individuality. Aren't the Chaos Gods, in many ways, gestalts of many, hostile, souls?

LostTemplar
12-07-2005, 18:11
I assume this is a psyker speaking, by the way he speaks.

"They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, running, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh body and soul."

Sure, it might be an exageration, but its still odd. Perhaps its nothing short of a maddened man with latent psychic abilities? I can't verify, at a glance ,it does seem to be a statement from a Psyker. But one can make wild guesses as to simply nightmares or traumatizing events.

Brusilov
12-07-2005, 18:17
I think the poor guy is indeed either a psyker or a latent one and that he feels the Hive Mind creeping into his mind. After all he does mention scratching inside his mind.
I would not put faith on the ravings of a madman about to be devoured by Nids to be frank.

Khaine's Messenger
12-07-2005, 18:44
The "Shadow" would probably just overshadow (ta) local warpspace, making it occluded and difficult to move through. This doesn't mean that they'll eat your souls, although in my own re-interpretation of the hivemind as discussed elsewhere, it would be possible for Tyranid organisms to intercept souls or portions of souls as if they were messages from other Tyranids and attempt to process them as such before rejecting them as incorrect stimuli, thus giving a soul a bit of a "mothbitten" look. ;) Still, as most souls don't maintain coherency all that well, I imagine the presence of the Shadow would simply serve to expedite decomposition....which makes it an interesting question when you consider Eldar souls, eh? :)

Zenithfleet
13-07-2005, 17:40
Regarding the "they're coming for us flesh body and soul" quote, I think there's been some other (maybe in WD) quotes about how the worst thing about the Tyranids is that they don't just kill your body, they steal/annihilate your soul.

However, I never interpreted that to mean a literal destruction or consumption of souls in a daemonic sense - seems like a traditional poetic metaphor to me.

I.e., the Nids strip away your 'soul' - your sense of identity, dreams, wishes, loyalties, morals, etc - and turn you (via devouring and biomass processing) into more raw flesh and bone to fuel the mindless killing horde. In a very real sense you become the enemy.

Your *actual* soul (the warp-essence that has a definite existence in 40K) goes to swim the Sea of Sharky Cthulu Things, as per usual.

Silly GW, talking about literal and figurative souls with the same word :eyebrows:

Brusilov
13-07-2005, 19:26
Indeed, I take comments from characters within the universe with a serious leeway for interpretation, and that's even true for supposedly objective fluff written from the perspective of an omniscient narrator.
I've come to wonder whether GW really cares about creating a coherent and believable universe or whether they only apply the "rule of cool" without even caring about such things... But I'll stop ranting... :eyebrows:

Inquisitor Maul
13-07-2005, 21:20
"they're coming for us flesh body and soul"

It comes from Warrios of Ultramar. An Astropath stationed on a monitoing station in the Tarsis Ultra system screams that when she's finaly driven insane by the Shadow in the warp

Briareos
13-07-2005, 21:44
I've come to wonder whether GW really cares about creating a coherent and believable universe or whether they only apply the "rule of cool" without even caring about such things... But I'll stop ranting... :eyebrows:
*** Welcome to the dark side, master Jedi *** :skull:

;)