PDA

View Full Version : Are Necrons a cheap ($$$) army to play?

Riptacus
27-12-2006, 08:46
For some reason that's the impression I have. Is it accurate?

- expensive (points-wise) basic troops that are good to field in large numbers
- expensive (points-wise) HQ choice
- expensive (points-wise), near-manditory vehicle

I kind of want to slowly put together a small Necron force, but I just invested in a large army of Tyranids and I'm not sure I'm ready to spend tons of money again.

xibo
27-12-2006, 09:09
Paint your bugs first...
Necrons are cheap when compared to most armies, especially hordes like orks or guard, but then again a necron force shouldn't consist of just loads of warriors and a lord at higher points games...
and the monolith isn't all that mandatory... in fact i don't see it so often when i play necrons...

Penitent
27-12-2006, 09:11
As much as any GW product can be described as "cheap": yes, they are :)

A Necron Battleforce (or two, depending on how big you want to go) will give you a nice-sized core to work from. Add in a Lord, one or two Tomb Spiders, and a Monolith, and you've got a reasonable army.

The_Outsider
27-12-2006, 09:21
As others have said, they are relatively cheap compared to other armies.

Well, that is as long as you don't want pariahs or flayed ones or (to a lesser degree) immortals. These are all metal blisters, so a such they rape your wallet :/

But yeah, the battleforce is an excellent buy just buy a lord to go with it and you'll have just shy of 800 points (and thats just using it as is pretty much, no maxing out on HQ to make points).

nightgash
27-12-2006, 09:32
I agree, the Necron Battleforce is probably worth the most points out of all the other battleforces. As people said, add one or two more things and you have yourself a nice sized playable army

Corax
27-12-2006, 09:58
As the other posters have said, Necrons have a generally high base point cost, but there are few upgrades for them, other than the Lord (who has a whole slew of juicy ones). They also have some awesome EL and FA units in the Flayed Ones and Wraiths, but they will also lighten your wallet significantly. On the plus side, they are easy to paint, especially if you are lazy!

Riptacus
27-12-2006, 23:28
Are all of the various Destroyer units in the Necron codex mounted on an identical chassis/base?

ie. Could I get away with proxying regular Destroyers for Heavy Destroyers/Destroyer Lords until I could afford to pick up the legit models?

marv335
27-12-2006, 23:34
the destroyer/heavy destroyer/destroyer lord are all basicly the same kit.
the heavy destroyer and the destroyer lord are just a destroyer kit with some metal additions (the destroyer is all plastic)

you could proxy or convert out of a basic kit easily enough

EVIL INC
28-12-2006, 00:12
Yes, get several of the battle force boxes. You will need the troopers and can convert the extra destroyers to suit your needs with heavies and lords. If you dont want to convert those, I am sure you can get the bits for cheaper then the whole kits and still be ahead cash-wise.

Riptacus
28-12-2006, 01:52
I'm looking at picking up the following:

1x Battleforce
1x Lord on Destroyer
1x Lord
1x Wraith
2x Heavy Destroyer
1x Monolith

I'll use spare bases to bulk out the Warrior/Wraith/Destroyer squads until I can grab another battleforce.

Does that look like a good starting line-up?

Edit: Although maybe EVIL INC has a point... if I cut out the Lord on Destroyer and the two Heavies then I'm more than 2/3 of the way to another battleforce (which will give me 3 Destroyers to convert at will).

It seems like converting Necrons might be a challenge, though. Since their units have very, very few upgrades/options, wouldn't that mean that sprues won't provide you with any extra arms/bitz to convert with?

The_Outsider
28-12-2006, 02:12
wouldn't that mean that sprues won't provide you with any extra arms/bitz to convert with?

You get NO spare parts whatsoever.

Hellebore
28-12-2006, 02:48
Do not bother buying heavy destroyers, they cost more points and more money and they are in every way worse than standard destroyers. With the gauss weapon rules, and all the extra shots and models they have a better chance at killing vehicles. For AV 14: 15 shots that glance on a 6, or 3 shots that penetrate on a 6.
Also wriaths are totally brilliant. Even though they have no power weapons, their number of attacks, high S, invulnerable save and we'll be back means they do very well in combat.

-Angatyr

Light of the Emperor
28-12-2006, 02:48
Here's a trick:
Buy the destroyer lord and use the normal plastic destroyer body and head. Give him your choice of weapon (warscythe or staff of light). Instant destroyer lord. Then use the metal lord body, give him your choice of weapon and add legs from a normal plastic necron. By sacrificing one warrior, you get both the lord and destroyer lord from just the destroyer lord kit.

The battleforce is said to be the best in terms of what you get for the amount you spend. Once you want to start picking up immortals, pariahs and tomb spyders...thats where it gets expensive.

Riptacus
28-12-2006, 02:59
Once you want to start picking up immortals, pariahs and tomb spyders...thats where it gets expensive.
Luckily (or maybe unluckily, depending on how well I can do without them) I have no plans to use Pariahs, Flayed Ones, or Tomb Spyders. I don't like the appearance of them, and while I can see that their rules make them useful for certain things, I don't think any of them are a necessity.

I love Immortals, though, so that's going to hurt.

And I might come around and pick up a Spyder or two somewhere down the road.

Sekhmet
28-12-2006, 07:19
Do not bother buying heavy destroyers, they cost more points and more money and they are in every way worse than standard destroyers. With the gauss weapon rules, and all the extra shots and models they have a better chance at killing vehicles. For AV 14: 15 shots that glance on a 6, or 3 shots that penetrate on a 6.

They are not in every way worse than standard destroyers. It's a common misconception of close-minded Necron players. Heavy destroyers are strictly better at killing Av12 (chimeras, falcons, serpents, hammerheads) and are VERY good at killing Av11 and 10. They're excellent at killing 2+ save models, especially ones with multiple wounds like Obliterators, terminator/artificier SM characters, broadsides, rubric terminators, and more. Looking at something like a carnifex at 2+ saves, you'll be very lucky if you get a single wound in a round of shooting with 5 destroyers. You'll be average if you get 2 wounds in a single round of shooting with 3 heavy destroyers.

Penitent
28-12-2006, 08:35
[QUOTE=Riptacus;1174794]Luckily (or maybe unluckily, depending on how well I can do without them) I have no plans to use Pariahs, Flayed Ones, or Tomb Spyders. I don't like the appearance of them, and while I can see that their rules make them useful for certain things, I don't think any of them are a necessity.

I love Immortals, though, so that's going to hurt.

And I might come around and pick up a Spyder or two somewhere down the road.[/QUOTE

Its your army, but I think those tomb spyders are worth their weight in gold.

The_Outsider
28-12-2006, 10:23
They are not in every way worse than standard destroyers. It's a common misconception of close-minded Necron players. Heavy destroyers are strictly better at killing Av12 (chimeras, falcons, serpents, hammerheads) and are VERY good at killing Av11 and 10. They're excellent at killing 2+ save models, especially ones with multiple wounds like Obliterators, terminator/artificier SM characters, broadsides, rubric terminators, and more. Looking at something like a carnifex at 2+ saves, you'll be very lucky if you get a single wound in a round of shooting with 5 destroyers. You'll be average if you get 2 wounds in a single round of shooting with 3 heavy destroyers.

QFT.

Problem is heavy destryers are so goddamn expensive and for a new player I advise against them simply because they really hurt phase out.

Realistically only 2+ MC's give necrons a problem, terminators rearely come in sufficeint numbers to really be immune to mass warrior fire (though deep strike bumps them right up to the top of the 'to kill' list).

Captain Micha
28-12-2006, 13:38
I have not bought my flayed ones, immortals and pariah yet. Their financial cost scares me. I have a devious plan to convert warriors into pariah. Why? because at 10 bucks a pop.. no. don't think so. bad enough they cost 36 pts a pop.

I plan on buying a battle force soon. not sure when but soon. (right now I just have 1 hvy destroyer, 1 tomb spyder, 6 scarab swarms, 2 sets of warriors, a destroyer lord, and one monolith)

chaos0xomega
28-12-2006, 16:07
My current necron army(roughly 2k points) only cost me 250 american to buy. So yes.

Of course, that included 20% off everything I bought, as well as some dollar discounts(5 dollars off here, 35 dollars off there...).

2x battleforce
1x Lord on Foot
1x Destroyer Lord
6x Flayed Ones(thats 3 blisters)
1x Wraith
1x Monolith

And now with the new Battleforces, you get even more bang for your buck!

The_Flip
28-12-2006, 16:28
Immortals are amazing, esp. at higher point-values. They are great when paired with a Lord/VoD, or just for marching and killing (they do have +1 toughness than Warriors). However, they are $10 a piece, and for a successful unit, you are going to want at least 10. That's 100 bucks for 10 models, and that can be a little agitating.

However, the best buys would be the Battle Force to start off with, then move onto getting a Lord, another box of Warriors, and see what you'd like to use after that (whether it be Wraiths, Immortals, Flayed Ones, etc.).

Good luck in your collecting.

Sam
~TF~

Toastrider
28-12-2006, 18:16
QFT.

Problem is heavy destryers are so goddamn expensive and for a new player I advise against them simply because they really hurt phase out.

Realistically only 2+ MC's give necrons a problem, terminators rearely come in sufficeint numbers to really be immune to mass warrior fire (though deep strike bumps them right up to the top of the 'to kill' list).

Correct. Nothing will make you change your mind faster about destroyers vs heavy destroyers than watching hive tyrants, zoanthropes, and carnifexes wade through multiple hails of standard gauss-cannon fire.

Still, if you're tank hunting, standard Destroyers will maul even AV14 units through sheer weight of dice. Fifteen shots, 3+ to hit, on average I get 10 hits. Ten chances to roll a 6 to glance? I can dig it.

--TR

Sekhmet
28-12-2006, 18:36
Still, if you're tank hunting, standard Destroyers will maul even AV14 units through sheer weight of dice. Fifteen shots, 3+ to hit, on average I get 10 hits. Ten chances to roll a 6 to glance? I can dig it.

--TR

Yeah normal Destroyers are better at taking down av14, but what if they have swarms of transports at av12 or less? Wouldn't you want to take them down guaranteed so they drop their transported troops? Then, after you've used heavy destroyers to take down the transport, you use normal destroyers to take down the infantry they carried.

EVIL INC
28-12-2006, 22:01
Arent you able to buy sprues of nada but the green gun pieces? With buying them and minor conversion work with bits (dont hafta be necron bits) you should be able to convert destroyers into heavy ones. Methinks that the lord on foot and destroyer lord should be easily converted, especially if you add on robes or shrouds or whatnot to help denote who it is.

Riptacus
29-12-2006, 21:05
I'm looking at picking up the following:

1x Battleforce
1x Lord on Destroyer
1x Lord
1x Wraith
2x Heavy Destroyer
1x Monolith

Well, so much for that plan... I came across some Tomb Spyders in a hobbyshop that weren't priced correctly, and felt like I had to take advantage of the deal... so I guess my army composition will have to take them into account now.

I also ordered a battleforce and a monolith, and I'm scoping out ebay for deals on blisters/destroyers of all types.