PDA

View Full Version : Choas Mortals advice

Dedalus
12-07-2005, 00:52
I've been playing warhammer workin on three years now but I've only just giotten back to Chaos and I'm not doing well at all, need a little advice.
My list at 2000 points is currently:

Chaos Lord: Great Fang, Gaze of the Gods
Exalted Chaos Champ of Nurgle: Filth Mace
Chaos Sorcerer:2 dispel scrolls

1 Unit of 16 Chosen warriors of Slaanesh
1 Unit of 16 warriors of Nurgle
8 Nurgle Knights(gore banner)
7 Maruader Horsemen
1 Chaos Giant

No wins so far, I'm feeling like the Chaos Giant, as cool as he is, has got to go and so do the marauder horsemen and take some dragon ogres. My league has all kinds of armies: Dwarves, Lizardmen, Dogs of War, High elves, Skaven, Vampires, tomb kings, Ogre Kingdoms and Bretonnians at least so I need a list that can handle a wide variety of tactics.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Dedalus

Nukem
12-07-2005, 01:08
Ummmm runefang?

samw
12-07-2005, 01:26
Do you mean the Rune Sword?

Dedalus
12-07-2005, 01:42
oops, great fang

samw
12-07-2005, 01:54
Okay:

1) Don't mix marks, it's bad karma

2) Yes, drop the giant

3) drop the chosen mark on warriors, save it for knights

4) 8 is a terrible number for chaos knights, 5/6 chosen works wonders.

5) Keep the Marauder Horsemen, Fastcav rock. Drop them to 6 with flails and take another unit if you can.

6) Take some hounds, lots if you can.

7) Take either some furies or screamers to take out war machines

Nukem
12-07-2005, 02:09
I hope so lol

Chaos can't use the runefang... in game terms and plus they wouldn't want to use such a weak weapon :p lol <---it isn't weak, but you can only get 3 attacks with it ><

Hounds... I don't know... they are easily killed and cause panic tests... I wish they were like goblins and gnoblars where they don't cause panic, but no they do.

samw
12-07-2005, 02:24
Yes but the mark of undivided gives you a re-roll at ld8, and slaaneshi units don't care.

User Name
12-07-2005, 06:02
you dont have to take the test if they are outnumberd by the unit needing to take the test that and if positioned carefully then they will usually outrun the radius of the test

Drop the non chosen warriors and take, if you go for nurlge, take 4 minotaurs with champ and stick, light armour, and mark of nurgle. Minos with a 4+ armour save rock!

dogs are great for baiting and fleeing so your nasty units can make a charge insted of getting charged.

beastherds are the most usefull unit in the chaos book, they can gaurd the rear and flank of knights or minos, dragon ogers, any nasty unit really. Raiding rules make them such a good reargaurd atrpit unit, they can even bait and misdorect, they charge and then you line up to them but you can choose in which direction you must line up, just line up so that the charging unit overruns into the position you want too.

Starkey
12-07-2005, 13:48
i would take another unit of warriors(12), take out the giant and reduce the chaos knights down to 6 and possibly move the choosen from the warriors to the knights.

I would also make everyone undivideded. Then get a unit of mauraders and another unit of horsemen.

then deferently some hounds

Nkari
12-07-2005, 14:14
um.. if your are going to use warriors, use 20.. knights are over priced and useless, use dragon ogres instead,

Butt naked sorc lord and 2 great weapon mid champions, or just 1 mid champion in your 1 block of warriors (20-25 big) supported by 1-2 units of marurders, a chariot or 2, alteast 2 units of warhounds 5 big, atleast 1 unit of beastmen, 1 unit of furies.. and last but not least, 1 unit of 3 dragon ogres with armour and great weapons..

atm you have NO sacrificial units in your army, no staying power, no nothing really..

Slaneesh or Khorne is your best bet when it comes to marks, Khorne is hard to play vs skilled oponents, against unskilled, its to easy.. slaneesh is thankful in that way, and their magic lore is the best in the chaos list, makes you control the battle alot more since you will be outnumbered etc..

User Name
12-07-2005, 20:11
You can take both chosen warriors and knights in the same army, the rules say one unit of each may be taken

I havent been too impresseed with my unit of 20 pestigors, they just die too easy and cost 340 points with war banner

Chosen knights are very far from useless, they are butchers, dragon ogers or minos add some variety and flavour, not to mention another killer shock unit

warriors in units of 20 are a huge points sink, for those points you can get other units that will be much more usefull

Dedalus
12-07-2005, 20:15
Okay:

1) Don't mix marks, it's bad karma

2) Yes, drop the giant

3) drop the chosen mark on warriors, save it for knights

4) 8 is a terrible number for chaos knights, 5/6 chosen works wonders.

5) Keep the Marauder Horsemen, Fastcav rock. Drop them to 6 with flails and take another unit if you can.

6) Take some hounds, lots if you can.

7) Take either some furies or screamers to take out war machines

This everyone seems to agree with so far, except the hounds and marks. I'll add some dragon ogres OR furies depending on the circumstances.(I.e Furies for dwarves and empire and dragon ogres for Lizardmen and Ogre Kingdoms).
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll post on how it works out in future weeks.

Darmort
12-07-2005, 20:38
Okay. Your list is a; bad. b; bad. c; bad.

First off - Drop the Giant.
Drop Chosen from everything. It's never worth it, since Knights get shot to peices, and Warriors don't win their points back.

Units of 15 Warriors are better.

Drop the Lord's Magic Weapon. Armour of Damnation and Gaze of the Gods and Shield is a good choice.
The Exalted should really be changed to another Mark. Possibly Khorne with Two Hand Weapons, Crimson Armour of Dargon and Talisman of Protection.

The Sorceress is fine.

Units. Marauders work wonders, providing ranks, backbone and numbers. They're also great. Two units of 20 with Shields, Light Armour and Full Command work best.

Take a few Undivided Chariots. And a lot of War Hounds. Take a Spawn of Slaanesh.
Beastherds are great.
Marauder Riders rock, Shields, Champion, Musicain and Spears, very good unit. If you can't be bothered to add something else, a Banner, but that's only if you're crazy like me, :p

User Name
12-07-2005, 20:58
marauders with flails and a musician are a cheaper stronger option that wont cost as much to bait and flee with and hit harder on the charge.

Verjigorm
13-07-2005, 02:02
I can't even touch this crap.

Warbanner on the Knights. Chosen on the Knights.

Figure out what you're gonna go for. Either go fast, or go slow. If you go slow, Marauders, Herds and a BSB are of utmost important. It makes that 12" bubble around the lord and BSB friggen awesome.

Giants are fine. They're cool. Useful too.

But your army lacks cohesion, and cohesiveness is vital to chaos, because our troops are so friggen expensive, and break in combat like all the rest...