PDA

View Full Version : Multiple overruns? What to do?

Braad
27-12-2006, 18:06
First of all, I really need to tell the entire world that my unit of 20 arrer boyz killed 7 saurus warriors at long range in a single volley of 19 arrows!!!
They nearly fled of the table too, including the scar veteran in the unit... They just rallied 2" from the edge.

COOL!

Anyway, we came to a situation were we didn't exactly knew what to do.
Situation was like this: a unit of 2 snotling bases charged in the front bij 9 saurus warriors (yeah! killed 7!) and in one of the flanks by another unit of saurus consisting of 15. As one could imagine, they were wiped out completely (the snotlings, of course).
I hope this comes out good everywhere, but this was the formation. S=saurus, O=snotling, arrow indicating overrun direction.

.....SSSS
.....SSSS
SSSOOO
SSSOOO....-->
SSS
........|
........V

Now, since they charged tht turn they were allowed to overrun.
But, then, they would have run over each other and collided. I could not find any rules governing this, are there?
We just decided to let one go, and the other if space would allow it after the first had gone by.

Okay, the first roll was snakeeyes, so they were place right in front of the other, and so we didn't allow the second unit to overrun. A shame though, cause both overruns could do some nasty damage (yeah, I know, it was a mistake, it was meant to be a cool tactic and luring them into a trap and so, but a carnosaur suddenly dropping in from behind messed it up a little).

alextroy
27-12-2006, 18:12
You did it correctly, except that the unit with the higher Unit Strength should have moved first (see Move Pursuing Units on page 43 of the BRB). An pursusing or overrunning unit's move ends immediately if it contacts a friendly unit.

DeathlessDraich
28-12-2006, 13:02
Hmm. Seems as if you've done it using the 6th rules.
Overrun: "... the unit may make a pursuit move, even with nobody left ...".

The direction of a Pursuit move (pg 43) is detremined by the fleers.
In the absence of a fleer, I see it as the direction the slain fleer would have moved. This is the same as the direction of the pursuer with the biggest US - so it's not much of an issue.

Therefore the overrunning units will be moving in the same direction and not at ninety degrees to each other, stopping as alextroy indicated when they encounter a friendly unit etc.

Braad
28-12-2006, 13:28
Really...

Than the draw at what we ended with could have been a minor victory for me...

alextroy
28-12-2006, 16:02
DeathlessDraich is incorrect. The overrun rules states the unit moves "...directly forwards (as if they were pursuing a fleeing enemy to their front)."

Festus
28-12-2006, 16:35
Hi

Yes, I am afraid that DDraih is wrong this time: The overrunning unit moves straight ahead, as is detailed in the BRB, p.43, and as is given above by alextroy.

Festus

EvC
28-12-2006, 22:18
Ack, that was the one rule today that I did not challenge when I thought an opponent was interpreting the rule wrongly. If we had looked it up, my knights would have over-run into a unit of Chaos Hounds in that turn instead of off the board! That's 30VP's I missed out on!

(Actually happened, but I don't seriously care ;) )

Atrahasis
29-12-2006, 00:44
"...directly forwards (as if they were pursuing a fleeing enemy to their front)."

This quotation is contradictory, as "pursuing a fleeing enemy to their front" may not necessarily result in movement "directly forwards".

The section in brackets should probably be ignored as needless commentary, as is GW's habit. It could be argued that it means that multiple overruners all overrun in the same direction, but personally I would take "directly forwards" as the stronger instruction.

DeathlessDraich
29-12-2006, 11:50
Hmm, I have to agree. I was wrong the first time