PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen or Tomb Kings?

Sir Phobos
27-12-2006, 23:02
Hello,

I am thinking of getting into Warhammer Fantasy , have been for a while, and my mid keeps skipping between armies. I think I have whitled it down to 2 armies either Lizardmen or Tomb Kings and was wondering which do you think is more fun to play and to play agianst?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

fracas
27-12-2006, 23:04
i think both armies are fairly comparable:
reliable troops and decent shooting. both also reasonably fast.
this may not be relevent but i think putting together skellies would be a pain and thus the reason i went with lizzies instead

Move Fast Hit Low
27-12-2006, 23:08
if you will be playing in any games below 2k then go with lizzies, i think TK are weaker than lizzies because they have no unit that can change a game on its own, almost all the units rely on the other to set up charges, flank, and so forth

Slayhem
28-12-2006, 07:21
Tomb Kings are dead easy to paint. If this is important.

gorenut
28-12-2006, 07:55
I'd say Lizardmen are a flexible force. They scale very well no matter what point size you play and have many different ways of playing. Unless you are totally sold on the idea,imagery, etc on Tomb Kings, I'd skip out on them. They're a good army, but I'd argue they're slightly more for the hardcore.

ardude
28-12-2006, 10:57
if you are a biginner go with lizards, same army I started with and you can win some battles in the start without to much trouble.
tomb kigns are my third army and it is obvious that they are way harder to play with

The pestilent 1
28-12-2006, 12:27
Tomb Kings are dead easy to paint. If this is important.

But boring.
Very boring.
Very Very boring.

I have a small Vampire counts army, I went a bit batty after the 60th Skeleton and put it to one side to play my Lizardmen.

darkprincewilson
28-12-2006, 14:03
I have a small Vampire counts army, I went a bit batty after the 60th Skeleton and put it to one side to play my Lizardmen.

That is interesting. I have over 3000 points TK (120 or so painted models, plays well at 2K to 2,500), but could not stand to paint another skink (after 48) and have completely abandoned the Lizardmen in favor of my newly started Wood Elves.

I really enjoyed painting skeletons, but could not stand painting the Lizards.

Interesting.

DeathlessDraich
28-12-2006, 18:01
Lizardmen if you want a good chance of winning - even in tournaments!
TK - if you want to reduce the chance aspect of Warhammer.

LM armies also offer greater variety than TK in terms of choices of units.

The pestilent 1
29-12-2006, 12:59
That is interesting. I have over 3000 points TK (120 or so painted models, plays well at 2K to 2,500), but could not stand to paint another skink (after 48) and have completely abandoned the Lizardmen in favor of my newly started Wood Elves.

I really enjoyed painting skeletons, but could not stand painting the Lizards.

Interesting.

I'm mainly a Saurus guy but I do see your point.
Maybe it's because I'm just a tool for a good Dinosaur. :D

Killshot
29-12-2006, 18:52
I also do not enjoy painting lizardmen for some reason. So, I would go with TK myself.

For quickly painting a TK army scroll down to the bottom of this link:
http://www.wegotgame.net/jen/tricks.html

fearchanges
01-01-2007, 18:06
I play lizzies for a while now and I must say they got a liitle bit boring to me.
You see so much incommen with all the list you make and in time it gets boring to play always with the same standard troops. Sure, you can trust a lot to your troops, because they are very solid and balanced, but for me the lizzies list is just too short of troops in choice.
If I have to be honest on tournaments I still stick with my lizzies.

A friend of mine plays Tomb Kings and he's always a hard nut too crack in the game. Those tomb gaurds with that 360 degrees turn banner and a tomb king in it, just rock hard. Besides that, they are easy to paint, spary them skull white, flesh wash over it and drybrush it with bleached bone and they are almost ready, only the finishing touch.

Goq Gar
01-01-2007, 18:11
Put it this way:

Lizardmen, they're lizards, with weaponry!

Karrlov
01-01-2007, 18:59
If I were you, I would certainly try to decide:

Models. They are very important, because it takes a lot time to paint them and you want your army to look striking!
Personally, I think both TK and Lizzies look very characteristic, but if I had to choose... I'd go with Lizardmen.
I mean: is it really possible that you like both exactly equally? Deep down inside, you almost have to favor one of the races... At least a little bit.

Then the painting:
I paint skeletons for about eight years now (I play VC) and sometimes, they require a hell of a lot willpower to paint them :P
Although I don't think Lizzies are great to paint either...

Just think about it: make a list of pro's and cons, compare the two races, and go with the army which has the most (important) pro's according to you :)

Good luck!
Karrlov

Divine Shadow
01-01-2007, 21:49
I play both and I'll say that Lizardmen are probably more fun. TK are very methodical.

Mooglemen
02-01-2007, 19:23
I play TKs, and they were my first army. Because of all their special rules and they way they are played, there is a very steep learning curve involved. It took me a long time to 'get it' about how to use these guys (and indeed how to play warhammer for that matter), but once you wrap your head around the TKs style, you'll love it for it's reliability. No other army can boast about how few random things happen to you as the TKs can. You never run away, never miscast, never take a panic test... the list goes on.
The only problem I had with this is now I am working on a Dark Elf army, and I have to go back and actually learn the real rules for magic, panic etc since I never played with them.

In short... play whatever army you think is cooler. You will learn in time to play effectively with ANY army, so go with one that keeps you interested.