PDA

View Full Version : Averland Empire army

Duke of York
28-12-2006, 00:14
I am starting a new empire army and have decided to go with an averland themed force. It has come to my attention that the mad elector count that has been ruling the region died in combat and now the elector count is disputed...

i have several questions?

1. who is currently disputing it and has the runefang been lost?

2. I have read that the count before mad Marius had a daughter who was his heir... is she still in contention for the position? because i think it would be cool to have a female character in an army for once.

3. if you think a female Averland countesse would work how do i convert the model? Do i give it a joan of arc feel or do i make her look noticably girly?

thx for any help suggestions, or other fluff dealing with averland anyone may have in advance.:D

Commodus Leitdorf
28-12-2006, 03:39
Well first off...welcome to the Wonderful Province of Averland! Its great fun.

1. It hasn't been lost, the Emperor was at the scene seconds after Marius was slain, the Runefang was recovered and Marius' body was born away by his surviving Bodyguard, the Greatswords of Averland.

2. From what I know, Marius did have a child but it is currently too young to hold the throne so, for the moment, the Province is run by his Wife.

3. If you are interested in useing her as a General I can see that happening (She had to be tough to deal with Marius and his rages). Plenty of figures to look at, check the Mordheim range for possible female bodies to work with as a starting point.

as for Fluff...Averland is by far one of the funnest provinces to come up with your own army from. It is one of the richer provinces, has rich farmland along two very important rivers. The best horses in the Empire come from Averland so no shortage of a knight theme and Averland borders Nuln so they have access to the newest and fanciest warmachines which is a plus since they can actually afford to by them. Averland is also charged with guarding Blackfire pass where pretty much all the major Orc invasions have come storming through, and is specially guarded by the Averland Mountainguard.

Jeez..what else...close proximity to the pass also means lots of traders and mercenaries from Tilea and Estalia come through, and do make up a respectable part of Averlands forces...Oh and it also borders the Moot, and Halfling have also been a part of the Mountainguard for awhile.

Basically...you can do anything with Averland because it can all be supported by fluff. My advice? go nuts! cause you cant go wrong!

-Commodus Leitdorf
Nephew of Marius, Commander of the Aver Riverguard

vorac
28-12-2006, 03:48
and black and yellow are fun to paint as well, my own empire army is a combined force of nuln averland and wissenland

Harry
28-12-2006, 08:13
I remember reading in the Storm of Chaos that Marius had sons (I think three but maybe only two) they went to fight in the Storm of Chaos and I have no idea whether any of them made it back. It may have been a loose end.

I assumed it was desputed as they had not returned yet and no one knew if they were dead or alive and the other powerful family (Ludmilla von Alptraum??? Will go and check!) were taking there opportunity to reclaim control.

Runefang not lost....as above.
OR it is lost and the sons are still looking for it?
(I expect Eldacar to help clear this up for us at some point in this thread!)

As for minis...if you go for Marius's wife ruling in his stead I would suggest DOW Beladonna.....suitably upmarket totty for Averland.
If you go for his daughter from the current range I would remodel a Bretonnian sorceress or vintage there are one or two great female 'citizens' from marauder you could use as a starting point.
If you want to go for a son returned (and move the background on a bit) There are the Mordhiem Averlanders. The one with the Greatsword and pistol looks especially cool in the role of commander or there is the Warhammer Quest Empire nobel with greatsword that has Averland written all over him due to the puffyness of the sleeves.

Cheers
Harry

EDIT: O.K. I checked :
Ludmilla Von Alptraum was the Elector count of Averland back in the original Background. (Empire in Flames) this family was ousted when the Leitdorfs siezed power. "The grab for power seems as it will be short lived however, as the Elector Counts siblings and relatives fight one another the Alptraums are quietly building money and influence once more." (Sigmars Hiers)

Glorfindel
28-12-2006, 08:41
I wonder, where do you get all this detailed background information? I mean I don't think this is mentioned in the Empire book? (pure assumption as I haven't read it)

Harry
28-12-2006, 09:19
Errrrr....I read a book!
I quoted my sources in my edit.

'The Enemy Within' 1980's Wahammer Fantasy Roleplay Campaign.
(First place the Empire and the whole Electoral count system etc, etc. was explained in detail.) and more recently the 'Sigmars Hiers' - 'guide to the Empire' for the most recent Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

Both were produced by Games Workshop so are fairly official sources.

"Pure assumption":eek: Just because you have not read it does not mean someone has not written it!

Harry
28-12-2006, 09:38
Here is some 'pure assumption':

I assume that the eldest Lietdorf son...being the Eldest would have joined a knightly order. I assume with his politcal connections and inluence and some inherited military ability from his mad dad he would have risen through the ranks of that order and in due course become Grand Master of the order.

I assume this is him.

Duke of York
28-12-2006, 13:29
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. I think after careful consideration my general will be a member of the Alptraum family who has somehow seezed the runefang for his/herself and is now off to install the Alptraum family back as the ruling family of Averland (i always liked an army with that kind of revolution fealing to it!)

So if anyone has knowlege of who the current most likely candidate of the Alptraum family is id be most thankfull for the information. I read somewhere that the count before Marious was an Alptraum and he only had a daughter... has she had a son of fighting age, or did the good old count have another son, or a nephew... So many possible family members and i have no idea who to choose.

So fellow Averland generals i once again must call upon your aid!

spevna
28-12-2006, 14:02
Dont forget that it also borders with the Moot!! After numerous Orc invasions the halflings are encouraged to do a year or two serving at garrisons that guard the pass.

HiredSword.
28-12-2006, 18:19
Some BlackFire Pass guards would be an excellent addition, adding some halfing models in as a mixed unit would be really fluffy as well. Whatever you do, halflings are always a good idea!

loveless
28-12-2006, 21:44
eh...if you like halflings...i always thought they were one of the more idiotic additions to any fantasy story...but then, the thought of short, furry-footed humans just bores the life out of me

Commodus Leitdorf
29-12-2006, 02:44
Well its not impossible to assmue that the ruling family prior to the Leitdorfs taking control would have someone of age who could legally lay claim to the Electorship.

Its not impossible to assume that a good chunk of the Averland forces are up north in and around the areas where the Storm of Chaos occured, along with many of the best and most loyal followers of Leitdorfs heir.

You could model an army based on an Alptraum heir who seizes power in all the commotion, through use of state troops loyal to him and even mercenaries. This is a pretty solid idea to run with, me likey.

-Commodus Leitdorf

Harry
29-12-2006, 08:35
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. I think after careful consideration my general will be a member of the Alptraum family who has somehow seezed the runefang for his/herself and is now off to install the Alptraum family back as the ruling family of Averland (i always liked an army with that kind of revolution fealing to it!)

So if anyone has knowlege of who the current most likely candidate of the Alptraum family is id be most thankfull for the information. I read somewhere that the count before Marious was an Alptraum and he only had a daughter... has she had a son of fighting age, or did the good old count have another son, or a nephew... So many possible family members and i have no idea who to choose.

So fellow Averland generals i once again must call upon your aid!

It is reasonable to assume that if the runefang was lost the Alptraum family would have sent out its 'agents' to reclaim to independently from any other attempts to recover it.

Ludmila von Alptraum's was the countess before the Lietdorfs took over. Her named heir was her eldest daughter, Baroness Marlene.
Ludmila is an old lady but I imagine if she had the power of an elector count she still holds sway in her family and her eldest daughter would still be the most likely candidate to be held up as the 'rightful' claimant.
She may of course have married by now and have sons of her own of fighting age ready to take up arms in defence of their mothers claim.

ooohhhh, more drama than shakespear!

Harry
01-01-2007, 09:45
I found another source which contradicts what I said above.

It state that Ludmilla died soon after the enemy within campaign.
She was succeeded by her eldest daughter, Baroness Marlene, but she sadly died from the plague that ravaged the land soon after the war.
Marlenes only surviving child and heir abdicated in favour off her husband ...Marius Leitdorf (I presume he was a tad older seeing as he was Countess Ludmilla's FieldMarshall!?! I hope he only married her in order to force her abdication and sieze the title and that they didn't actually...well you know...)
When he died a few years later (He died in battle not in bed just in case anyone was thinking....) his eldest son succeeded him.

I assume because he has not returned from the storm of chaos this is why the title is in dispute.

Not sure where that leaves you. According to this version Helena would possibly have claim having ligitimately inherited the title once. She would now be older and could indeed have married and have sons old enough to make claim.

Sorry for the conflicting advice but this is how messed up the background is because more recent writers did not pay proper attention to existing, older material.