PDA

View Full Version : US WD324: "The Hidden Path" Wraithlord

Zealot
28-12-2006, 04:03
The Alaitoc Wraithlord in the current US White Dwarf... has anyone ever seen this before? It has to be the best looking Wraithlord EVER! I was just wondering if there are any more pictures or information on this big fella on out there that someone could point out for me.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Or if any veteran conversion-artists out there could try and point out what was done to the model to make it look so nice, that would be appreciated, as well.

Khaine's Messenger
28-12-2006, 04:33
Is it this (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/eldar/painting/wraithlord/default.htm) one? If so, there's mention of it in the "walker posing guide" here (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/eldar/painting/walkers/posing/adv2.htm). It certainly sure is pretty. :)

Zealot
28-12-2006, 05:17
AH!!!! Thank you so very much, Messenger!

That was a lot quicker than I had expected.

It is simply the best looking model...

Slaaneshi Slave
28-12-2006, 05:39
Its certainly a lot better than I can do, but it doesn't seem to be anything special. Then again, I don't like the new Eldar Wraithlords.

Dreachon
28-12-2006, 11:00
Certainly a great model, it really shows a more dynamic look to the otherwise rather static model.

Captain Micha
28-12-2006, 13:07
how can you not like the new wraith lord? Heresy!

hiveminion
28-12-2006, 13:42
It looks like a smurf with a watergun:p

Seriously, that is one cool model. The new Wraithlord kit sure allows some nice poses...yet there was always something about the Wraithlord that absolutely demanded a pose in which it squeezes the brains out of a Space Marine Commander, like it's popping a pimple...sorry, played too much DoW...

sigur
28-12-2006, 14:50
It's a good conversion and all, but doesn't a Wraithlord ducking and sneaking around look a bit...odd?

Angelus Mortis
28-12-2006, 15:03
how can you not like the new wraith lord? Heresy!
Techincaly, it would be heresy if you did like the new Wraithlord, seeing how he is one of those heretical pansy xenos. ;) :p But on a serious note, it is a nice model.

Marshal2Crusaders
28-12-2006, 15:04
its supposed to it fits his fluff he is aliatoc so his wraithlord was once a gratscout, now he just hides behind buildings

Rich 123
28-12-2006, 15:08
I must admit I agree with Slaaneshi Slave and, to some degree, Dreachon. The new Wraithlord is just a bit, dull. It follows the current GW trend of thinking more detailing and bling makes for a better model - maybe it's because they are pleased with the versatility and detail they can include in plastic components compared to their competitors.

However, it looks ok, just compared to the stylised and minimal Wraithlord from Jes Goodwin (back in the day when they were just Eldar Dreadnoughts!) it just cannot compare! I am sorely tempted to stick it to everyone and convert the static old Wraithlord into something that can compare with the new miniatures. It's a fantastic old mini, just needs updating to give it a more dynamic pose and replace the weapons with current, better looking, weapons.

Well, that's what I think ;)

The reposed plastic Wraithlord here makes the mini much more interesting by making it less boringly static and the weapon cradled in its arms is interesting, although I'm not sure how fitting it is for a Wraithlord. I would like it if GW actually made new minis a little more dynamic, especially for an army like the Eldar. But that's just me I guess, but such static poses are so second edition ;) and with their new more flexible casting techniques as well.

It all comes down to personal opinion though. The new WarWalkers I think are excellent though, makes them look so much more like an elegant, mobile weapons platform than the old mini, a remnant from 2nd edition ever did.

Only my 2 penneth though!
Dicky

sigur
28-12-2006, 15:17
Meh, I don't know why people are complaining about GW's miniatures being too static. By now, they're all pretty "dynamic" or even "dramatic". Except for a few newer SM miniatures, mostly characters.

@Marshal2Crusaders: Just because he's from Alaitoc this doesn't necessarily mean that he was a Scout. In fact, I think it's rather unlikely that an outcast's (even if this state was chosen by the individual him-/herself) soul becomes recycled into a Wraithlord.

Captain Micha
28-12-2006, 15:19
but inquisitor I thought that was one of our new dreadnoughts. the mark III.5 eldar xenos camoflauge model!

as a side note I feared a lack of detail till I saw one up close and personal. I think it looks way better than the cheesy old one

Rich 123
28-12-2006, 15:27
I agree with you on that Sigur, that it does seem a little odd an outcast scouts spirit stone would even be contained within the Craftworld, old 2nd edition fluff said many are lost as they die far from their Craftworld on their travels. Also an outcast doesn't seem like the best choice as a spirit pilot for a Wraithlord.

Many GW minis are quite dynamic, many more are also very static (guard or marines anyone?). Maybe that's just me as I like armies that are meant to be highly mobile and dynamic to have minis that look like that are, the min caught in the act of performing their battlefield role. Tactical squads are just dull. Although it might just be me, my marine army (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1105981#post1105981) I have converted to be much more dynamic than the standard stock marines. Some people may not like this but I prefer it, feeling it befits the battlefield role of marines from fluff sources and their intended role. Unstoppable by normal soldiers weapons and confident in their abilities of their training and the equipment to do anything they want. Highly mobile and almost gung-ho.

After my marines are comlpeted my planned Saim hann army will be as dynamic as I see the Eldar as. Minis caught in long bounding jumps, spinning mid air, firing their weapons at full pace and so forth I just can't help it!

Anyway, that adds up to 4 pence from me in total ;)
Dicky

By the way, sorry to go off on a tangent.

Feor
28-12-2006, 15:55
Alot of Outcasts are supposed to return to the Craftworld after their time travelling the path of the Outcast, are they not? No reason this particular Wraithlord's spirit Stone might not remember his favorite times in life as a Ranger (and maybe a Dark Reaper) and so, as a wraithlord, he reflects those skills.

Brother_Falco
28-12-2006, 16:16
I personally feel the new WL kit is perhaps the best 40k kit yet, but I might be biased because it's working at a scale fit for humans, not micro-fingered individuals.

Meticulous
28-12-2006, 18:52
After my marines are comlpeted my planned Saim hann army will be as dynamic as I see the Eldar as. Minis caught in long bounding jumps, spinning mid air, firing their weapons at full pace and so forth I just can't help it!

I hope I'm not the only one wanting to see this army; after seeing what Rich can do with Marines, I can't wait to see some converted Eldar.

[/Rich 123 tangent]

Zealot
28-12-2006, 19:50
Wasn't more of the army shown in US WD319?

spagunk
28-12-2006, 20:21
heck, i'd pose a wraithlord like this for any craftworld as i think the pose is absolutely great. Of course i dont play eldar so....

Gensuke626
28-12-2006, 20:32
but inquisitor I thought that was one of our new dreadnoughts. the mark III.5 eldar xenos camoflauge model!

as a side note I feared a lack of detail till I saw one up close and personal. I think it looks way better than the cheesy old one

The RX-78-2 "Gun Wraith" pattern Sentinel? Coated with Cameleoline and made of Wraithdanium?

Rich 123
28-12-2006, 20:37
I hope I'm not the only one wanting to see this army; after seeing what Rich can do with Marines, I can't wait to see some converted Eldar.

Hehe, thanks for the compliment Meticulous! I am going to have alot of fun with them I know! I was thinking of a squad of guardians and a warlock (all in really dynamic poses think of stuff a bit like martial arts combined with the way the Eldar sometimes move in Dawn of War.) as well as an aspect squad or two and then a whole bunch of bikes with a jetbike Farseer and Autarch as well, big billowing robes and guys leaning far off their bikes swords outstretched and soon.

This will be a long term project to make a nice display army and as a nice way of having a change from the main army I am planning next - an all Night Goblin army. Well a Goblin army but all of them will look suspiciously like Night Gobbos. I think robed wolf riders will just look fun, especially with the smaller size of the Night Gobbos appearing perched on top.

I find sculpting cloth fun and both armies will give me lots of scope for extra clothing like that, which will keep me going as well :)

Sorry, i really shouldn't be chuntering on about this in this thread. Anyway it will have to wait till after March sometime when my marines are finished for Carnage and when I have time in my work schedule!

Cheers,
Dicky

Rikka Rakka
29-12-2006, 01:23
Pose is lovely. Its just a bit botched painting wise.

Meticulous
29-12-2006, 03:07
Wasn't more of the army shown in US WD319?

Yeah, same army, same guy. Lotsa cloaks and stippling.