PDA

View Full Version : Green GW Carry Case

Slaaneshi Slave
28-12-2006, 07:37
I am looking for a carry case for my tanks (SoB Armoured Coy), and have seen one of the Green GW Carry cases in a toy store in town. I can't find any information on them from the GW website. Does anybody know how many tanks they hold? I have seen a picture of them with 4 tanks and a few infantry trays, but can I fit 8 tanks and no infantry in there easily enough, or am I limited to the one configuration?

If I can get 8 tanks in, I will buy it, if not, I will keep looking!

xibo
28-12-2006, 08:27
This one?
http://www.games-workshop.de/home/news/previews/Warhammer40k/image5.jpg
It can hold 8 chimera sized tanks with no problems... I don't have a land raider or leman russ so i can't check, but you can also insert 8 devilfishes which are slightly larger iirc...

Slaaneshi Slave
28-12-2006, 12:12
Thats the one! Thanks very much! I only play Marines (boowhoo) and Sisters of Battle, but don't like Land Raiders, so all my tanks are Rhino or Chimera based, which means 8! Great! :D

Thanks again! :)

Grimtuff
28-12-2006, 12:16
Thats the one! Thanks very much! I only play Marines (boowhoo) and Sisters of Battle, but don't like Land Raiders, so all my tanks are Rhino or Chimera based, which means 8! Great! :D

Thanks again! :)

....and now it's just a case (pun intended) of finding one, as they're sold out in the UK (not sure about Germanland though ;) )

Slaaneshi Slave
28-12-2006, 12:17
There is a shop in my town with one in stock, but its a bit more than GW price (its a generic games shop), and I am going to a GW store this afternoon, so I'll check there before I buy that one.

Captain Micha
28-12-2006, 14:04
I wouldn't buy that carrying case anyway. for the money I know of a much better carrying case. but I don't think any other stores sell it than the one that I go to. (metal case.. foam insert thing just like what gw has. but better bigger case. 26 dollars. whats not to love here)

Greatoliver
28-12-2006, 14:14
I got one for Christmas and it looks good - no models in yet.

The problem is, I only got one and with 6 Tau tanks, over 40 Fire Warriors, 4 Crisis suits and an assortment of others, I'll need another!

sigur
28-12-2006, 16:20
It's 70,- if I remember correctly...that's just too much for the amount of miniatures it can hold for my likings.

wilsonian
28-12-2006, 16:24
best stick to the metal carry cases you can pick up in B&Q (uk) - other wise check out models in confort's website (best google it)...

Some guy (UK)
28-12-2006, 16:32
Very true- the metal cases come in several sizes, one which can fit two foam trays that store 50 models each, and the second case of interest looks like it should hold several Leman Russ sized tanks, although some sort of foam/polystyrene would need to be put around each one.

The one which I do have (the larger one) comes to around £22 when you have purchased the foam trays (try Ebay), are lockable, and don't have a huge GW logo sprawled across the front. Bargin if I say so myself.

Edit- btw, I could not actually find the case in the picture above on the UK online store. Were they a special edition?

EVIL INC
28-12-2006, 16:50
The army transports by sabol are much superior to the GW ones and cheaper too.
Here is the details on thier main site. http://www.saboldesigns.net/armytransportmotorpool.php
They are sold at The Warstore

Slaaneshi Slave
28-12-2006, 16:52
Edit- btw, I could not actually find the case in the picture above on the UK online store. Were they a special edition?

Yes, they were special edition, you can't get them from GW anymore.

The army transports by sabol are much superior to the GW ones and cheaper too.
Here is the details on thier main site. http://www.saboldesigns.net/armytransportmotorpool.php
They are sold at The Warstore

I have looked at those, but I can find no information on the website about what sizes I need, how many sheets I need etc. I figure if the website is not helpful, then the product is probably not very good either. Am I wrong in this instance? :p

Stormtrooper Clark
28-12-2006, 16:58
Got one for christmas, was suprised at the size of it, i have trouble taking the standard Black one on the train never mind this one.

CrazyHeeb
28-12-2006, 20:08
I have looked at those, but I can find no information on the website about what sizes I need, how many sheets I need etc. I figure if the website is not helpful, then the product is probably not very good either. Am I wrong in this instance? :p

Yes, I believe you are...in this instance.

The great part about the Army Transporet line of cases is their configurability. That makes it a little hard to tell someone exactly what they need. Basically, you'll need to measure your models to figure out how tall of foam you need. If find that standard troops can fit in the 1 inch trays if you lay them on their side. 1.5 inch trays work if you stand them up. Tanks need anywhere from 2.5-4" trays to fit.

The Motor Pool transport can hold 16 inches of foam (2 side-by-side stacks of 8 inches). The Platoon transport can hold 8 inches but you can clip multiple together and carry them as one big stack. Their largest case, the Battalion can hold 20 inches but you might have some trouble digging out the bottom few trays.

There's actually some great information on their website here: http://www.saboldesigns.net/figurefoamd.php

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Slaaneshi Slave
28-12-2006, 20:48
I have 10 Rhino based tanks at the moment, and a Chimera, which will likely get more as the months go by (and as I buy my Guard army). If I order a Motor Pool transport, with 4 x 3" and 2 x 2" (for turrets), that will work perfectly, do you think? That seems like enough to hold all my current tanks, along with anything else I buy cavalry or larger sized.

CrazyHeeb
28-12-2006, 20:54
I have 10 Rhino based tanks at the moment, and a Chimera, which will likely get more as the months go by (and as I buy my Guard army). If I order a Motor Pool transport, with 4 x 3" and 2 x 2" (for turrets), that will work perfectly, do you think? That seems like enough to hold all my current tanks, along with anything else I buy cavalry or larger sized.

One would think that would work just fine. However, I don't have any of those tanks so I can't tell you from personal experience.

If you want to know for sure here's a neat trick. Go out and buy graph paper with 1/2" squares. Put your tanks on it and draw along the outline. The cubes on the Army Transport foam trays are also 1/2" so this will tell you how many cubes you need to remove to fit the tank.

The foam trays are 24 cubes long by 13 cubes wide. There is an extra 1/2" of foam around the edge of the tray that you can't remove. You'll want to leave at least one row of cubes in between each tank to pad them from each other.

Hopefully that will tell you just how much stuff you can fit into each tray.

ShadowKitana
28-12-2006, 22:20
I can fit four rhino size tanks in the 4 inch one on their sides and two Tau tanks placed normaly. Dunno how chimaras compair to Rhinos. If they are slightly bigger I think you can fit 3 if you put them on their sides in a 4 inch foam.

EVIL INC
28-12-2006, 22:55
Yes, I swear by these things. Another good thing about the trays beyond the ability to custom create the exact size and shape holes you need for your models is thier ease of removability. What I did (and need to get more of) is buy extra trays. This way, I can keep all of my models in trays for storage at home in any reguler large box or even stacked neatly. Then when time comes to leave the house to play a game, I simply just pick the trays I need for that current trip and load them into the carrying case. So it gives you all the home storage you need and you can use the same carry case to transport whatever army/configuration you need at any particuler time.

Aundae
29-12-2006, 00:04
Listen to all the posts up above about Sabol. I use Sabol myself for my SOB and Guard army and they are awesome. When compared to GW, they are cheaper in cost, more customizable, and the cases themselves come with pockets that you could put in your codexs, dice, tabe measure etc... The one thing I like about the GW case is that it is plastic. However, other than that I can't think of anything. Go with Sabol, you won't be disappointed.

VetSgtNamaan
29-12-2006, 04:59
I never had a problem with my games workshop cases. I certainly love the green army case since I play dark angels. I think it really comes down to what you prefer and will like. For me the convenience of going down to my local indie store and picking out a case is pretty high in my book over ordering something over the net. Of course since I place a higher premium on convenience than money it reflects in my choices.

CrazyHeeb
29-12-2006, 05:07
My real problems with the Games Workshop cases are their fixed nature. I play Tyranids so I have models ranging from small Termagants with long tails to a gigantic Hive Tyrant with broad wings.

Can anyone comment on using non-Imperial models in a GW case?

LictorIntheGrass
29-12-2006, 06:01
It kicks ass for my new Eldar army, but as for Nids, I'd suggest that you look at one, and gauge the size compared with your Tyrant.

Slaaneshi Slave
29-12-2006, 07:39
Ok, you buys have convinced me, I shall be ordering one with extra trays today.

Norminator
29-12-2006, 08:49
My real problems with the Games Workshop cases are their fixed nature. I play Tyranids so I have models ranging from small Termagants with long tails to a gigantic Hive Tyrant with broad wings.

Can anyone comment on using non-Imperial models in a GW case?

The tank section of the green case is made of lots of different blocks of foam which you remove based on your preference.

Those Green ones sold like hotcakes; I went to order on on the 2nd (release date) and they were sold out and been taken off the website. Luckily I had a URL saved that directed to the page to it, that hadn't yet been deleted (just all links to it). I ordered it, not expecting it to come in, and left it. But come Christmas day... ;)

Big Boss Gerblash
29-12-2006, 09:09
Ok, you buys have convinced me, I shall be ordering one with extra trays today.

you won't regret it army transport rocks hope you order a motor pool case it is my favorite case for the trays I have standard old transport a motorpool and a platoon usually use the motor pool easier to put stuff in and out of! buy trays for everything you own they fit on book cases easily just label the sides to make finding stuff easier

Slaaneshi Slave
29-12-2006, 12:37
I've just been looking on the Sabol site, and for international orders (I'm in Germany) its really expensive.

shadowsun68
29-12-2006, 14:07
http://www.kaiserrushforth.com/index.html
I bought a case from this site, it may only be made by cardboard but it is very strong the handle acts like a lock and if u wanted to watre proof it i suppose there could be sumthing to use.

CrazyHeeb
29-12-2006, 15:12
I've just been looking on the Sabol site, and for international orders (I'm in Germany) its really expensive.

You might want to e-mail the company and ask if they have a German distributor that you could buy from.

Slaaneshi Slave
31-12-2006, 03:20
Well I gave in and ordered a Motorpool from Thewarstore.com. I also got a selection of alternative foams, so I can transport different armies / combinations. Hella expensive, came to around $190 (including $40 postage and a Paintier Paint Storage (http://www.thewarstore.com/paintierpaintstorage.html)).

Looking forward to the Paint Storage thing more than anything actually, I may be able to find paint when I need it with that. :D

EVIL INC
31-12-2006, 03:59
"Paint trays" also make good figure trays for some of those models that are slightly to big or just posed to take up more room then average models to fit into the thinner trays.
Congrats on your buy, I am sure you will enjoy how well it works and good luck. I would suggest getting some powder or some such to tidy up the outside edge holes in the trays. It is not a huge deal but some sticky stuff leaks under the pull out section in those areas and it remains sticky. Not even enough to be an annoyance unless your a perfectionist. Good luck. :)

UrbanKnight
04-01-2007, 15:29
The paintier 80 is awesome. I use 2 of them and I couldnt find Jack without them...