PDA

View Full Version : Grimgor Outlawed?

Goldenwolf
28-12-2006, 08:00
In the last 3 tourneys or events in my area Grimgor has been outlawed, is this everywhere or just in my area?

scarletsquig
28-12-2006, 09:21
I don't see the problem... Grimgor's easy to deal with, just like any special character with movement 4.

He's a huge pointsink that you just have to avoid or distract with a suicide unit or two.

Mephistofeles
28-12-2006, 12:31
Well that did not answer his question...

Where I live I don't think special characters are allowed at all, so that would include Grimgor. Here people seem to think that having massive characters distract from the battle-side of warhammer, and turn it into herohammer all over again: Kill the character or get killed by the character.

And that is not really what it should be about.

vampires are cool!
28-12-2006, 18:04
I dont see the problem with SC, their fun and you can role play a bit with a characters thats not your own. Anyway, no no SC's are outlawed in my area - if people are doing it in yours [notably focusing on spesific ones and allowing others] then give them a good kick in the pants.

DeathlessDraich
28-12-2006, 18:10
Yes, S Characters are illegal in nearly all tournaments except ... there is one in the UK where it is allowed but I can't recall which.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
28-12-2006, 18:58
Well here in belgium there are no tournaments that allow special characters, I think that special characters can be cool but not in a 2000pts army, maybe in a 10k army.

Greetz
G

Dosadi
28-12-2006, 19:08
Grimgor is a pig and I love him for that. :evilgrin:
Looking at his new stat line you can see how he was able to punk Archeon. But as has been said above, he's not un-stoppable (and I actually think he's less effective than in 6th).

@ Goldenwolf: Is it just Grimgor or all special characters that are banned? If it's just grimgor than that's pretty lame. Maybe the tourny organiser had a bad experience with Grimgor.

"DAMN YOU GRIMGOR!!!! YOU KILLED ME PAPPY!!!!"
...or something like that.

IMO, special characters should not be illegal at tournies. They cost a lot of points, so they should be balanced within the army list as a result. They don't hold any suprises if you are familiar with what they have. This means no dirty tricks/combos that you may be able to pull off with custom characters.
I think the intent by GW is to intergrate special characters into the lists as just another option. This is why they have put them in the main army list section as opposed to in their own section at the back of the army book. Going forward more tournies will allow special charactersas new army books come out. After all, it's only the older players who remember the days of "opponent's conscent" to use special characters. There is no mention of a special character clause in the newer army books. If you read the section on special characters on page 79 of the rule book there is no mention of the old rule for special characters.

Dosadi

zak
28-12-2006, 19:59
Personally I don't like using special characters. I prefer to use a model with the choice of wargear that I chose. I have no problem facing other special characters, other than the Green Knight. I don't see why any or one specific one should be banned and I feel this is GW's current thinking.

EvC
28-12-2006, 22:31
Plenty of tournaments allow all special characters, such as the UK Grand Tournament.

Negativemoney
28-12-2006, 23:39
If you are talking about the Grimgore List in SC then yes it is no longer legal in US GT and RT tournaments (if they are following GT guidelines). Since Grimgore is part of that list (even though he can be used seperately) he is considered to be no longer a legal selection because his list is not legal any more.

You should still be able to use hin in firendly games if your opponent agree to it but other than that just ask the tournament organizer before hand.

Crazy Harborc
29-12-2006, 02:22
It will be very difficult selling many of those special character models if players find out they can't use them in GW run tournies. Here spent 15 to 35 bucks for this "special" minies......Oh yeah, did we mention you can't use it in GW tournies/events. POW, POW......there goes another one of the giant that is GW's toes.:eek:

Highborn
29-12-2006, 02:38
I would have thought it was because it's SoC, and all SoC lists are banned?

Voltaire
29-12-2006, 03:34
In the last 3 tourneys or events in my area Grimgor has been outlawed, is this everywhere or just in my area?

This is what is affectionately referred to as Piffle (see also, Tosh, Nonesense). Outlawing specific characters is like barring a unit of Chaos Knights because it kills lots. Absolute piffle.

intellectawe
29-12-2006, 07:51

Tourneys are banning SC this is true. Army Book special characters are still allowed in all the GT tourneys as far as I know. But SC Lists/characters are a different matter.

But if you call GW, which I did yesterday actually, and ask them if SC is banned, the answer I got was simple.

"SC is legal until an army book comes out. This means any dwarf, empire and orc lists in SC are to be voided"

Which is nothing new as for either warhammer system, when a book comes out that is an update of a previous book, the previous book gets the ax. This is why I never bother buying chapter approved and chronicles books.

But as I said, many tourneys are giving the SC the boot, which is great, as that SC book was an abomination.

Voltaire
29-12-2006, 09:48
Grimgor is in no way shape or form an SoC character. While he was there, his character was developed right at the beginning of 6th edition (as I see it) in the 6th edition Orcs and Goblins book. I dont know if he was in any before that.

bluesky322
29-12-2006, 10:09
But as I said, many tourneys are giving the SC the boot, which is great, as that SC book was an abomination.

what i loved the sc book because of all the info it gave and and some of the things it introduced sure a lot of things were left out or not given there rightful amount of coverage but whatever nothing is perfect:skull:

speedygogo
29-12-2006, 10:48
I played against the "new" grimgor with a strigoi vampire list and killed my opponents entire army before he squashed me. With a slower/infintry army it is hard to keep grimgor out of combat for long and the new 7th ed rules are brutal when Grimgor wins a combat and overruns into an enemy unit already engaged in Hth. In a tourney Grimgor is a very bad idea but when teaching a newer player having a tough special character can be a good idea, like a handicap for a poor golfer.

Crazy Harborc
30-12-2006, 03:09

Haven't heard about that including the USA. It didn't for this past summer and fall.

As far as being banned/not allowed to be used.......IF, two or more players agree to "allow each other" to use whatever, it becomes unbanned.

GW has every right to ban or allow whatever (as far rules, minies etc) at events they hold in their stores/bunkers/event locations. Didn't mention non-GW events and or property and or private property.

You bought YOU own it. You did NOT sign a usage agreement. You control it.

Highborn
30-12-2006, 08:05
I meant from GW-sanctioned tournaments, as of the release of 7th ed.

The original poster was talking about not being able to use Grimgor at his local tournaments, and if that is indeed the decision of the tournament coordinator then he is most certainly NOT allowed to use it.

*does not like being taken out of context*

Captain Lysander360
31-12-2006, 17:23
speacial characters are rarely used at my gaming club because we mainly do lots of combat patrol rules

Tiluca
01-01-2007, 04:53
I haven't started playing yet but personally i like making my own generals and "characterizing" them. However many people in the GW store i go to use Special characters and seem to say mine as well since everyone else does.

Crazy Harborc
02-01-2007, 02:37
Part of the great things about wargaming is players being able to tweak the rules to suit a desire to try "what if" scenerios, temporary rules changes, etc., etc.

IMHO, save the "one way only allowed" for tournies/events. Do keep in mind that special deals/rules/etc MUST be agreed to by all opponents who will be taking part in those "special deal" games.