PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Army to Play Against

Sir Phobos
28-12-2006, 15:14
Hey I was just wondering what your guys/gals favorite army to play agianst in warhammer is and if you have time why?

Arhalien
28-12-2006, 15:15
Not dwarves, gunline or high elves (as I play as them). so far these are the only armies I've played 2,000pt games against and I'm getting a bit fed up.

The game is afoot
28-12-2006, 15:23
Dwarf or Empire pre-Gunpowder lists with loads of rank and file.
Thats about as good as it gets.

kyussinchains
28-12-2006, 15:47
I pretty much like playing against most armies, as long as they're not tooled up deliberately to win at all costs, I've never played against skaven or wood elves, but I've not got any particular favourite.

I think it's more the opponent, after all, one guy might play a balanced and interesting empire army, whereas another might just have wizards, handgunners and volley guns, which would be zero fun.

der_lex
28-12-2006, 16:08
I've enjoyed all my battles so far, even against gunline dwarves (it's a challenge!). The only frustrating battle was against a Skink horde of doom with tons of dispel scrolls... Not fun if you're playing Tzeentch Chaos.

kyussinchains
28-12-2006, 16:35
to be honest, I enjoyed playing against dwarves back in 4th edition, a few times a year, my group and I would play a big game, usually chaos and orcs Vs. dwarfs, we would get our arses handed to us time and time again (curse that rune of valaya!)

even though we lost all the time (my general was often shot off his steed on the first turn by a cannonball or 6 before he'd even had a chance to move!) it was fun, the few times it was a close game, it was always utterly chaotic, chaos lords slaughtering 12 dwarves in a single turn... 24 chaos knights killed by cannons in a single shooting phase...

I think when we finally won a game, the cheering could be heard miles away!

it's sometimes nice to have a game against an army you really really hate! there's real passion and anger there, it's really fun when you either grind out a win, or hold to a draw, heck sometimes you might lose, but take out his annoying unit. Those are the best types of games in my opinion.

Rune of Death
28-12-2006, 17:10
orcs and gobblins mostly. anything chaos is cool too. i would like to play against ogres soon, but nobody around here plays them.
i don't like to play VC armies that don't have vampires in them. it seems cheesy to me.

skarsnik
28-12-2006, 18:11
I personally like to play against Dwarfs, Orcs & Goblins, and some Chaos armylists. Dwarfs have a certain character to them that I really enjoy, Orcs are always fun to pay against, and with, Chaos makes me feel like I must win the game, to avoid certain doom:skull: .

heretics bane
28-12-2006, 18:26
i love to play any armie just aslong as the player is nice and is generally good to play aginst

zak
28-12-2006, 20:37
I really enjoy playing against most armies, but it really depends on who is using the army. If your opponent is a gimp and plays like a gimp, then your going to have a bad experience. It all boils down to sportsmanship.

Selsaral
28-12-2006, 21:20
Whichever is best painted ;-)

lee
28-12-2006, 21:24
i love playing tomb kings

Holy Crap! Manticores!
28-12-2006, 22:27
Greenskins. Animosity makes sure that anything can and does happen... although i prefer the old Animosity rules.

Master Corvinus
28-12-2006, 22:43
Well I play 2000pts dwarfs but not gun line I only use a few war machines I prefer infantry. I love playing Orks and gobba also my friend plays Ogers and I seem to beat them all the time! Also chaos is a chalange very fun, the feedback from people who play my dwarfs are good they enjoy not playing a gunline.

EvC
28-12-2006, 22:52
Orcs and Goblins, or Chaos.

Crazy Harborc
29-12-2006, 02:46
I like playing against armies that are long on tactics and has short magic phases. I do realize several armies MUST be magic heavy (to win).

Empire, Dwarves, High, Dark and Wood Elves......Orcs and Chaos Warriors. I've played against the rest from time to time. Enjoying the games depended on the person pushing those armies.

I guess I enjoy playing with and or against any army, any "themed army" that is heavy on trying to win with tactics.

Hywel
29-12-2006, 11:53
It's entirely down to the person you're playing against, not the army.

That said, any one-dimensional army is a little boring to play against.

bluesky322
29-12-2006, 12:21
personly i like playing against orcs and goblins with any of my three:D armies

i like fighting chaos with my empire which i am trying to covnvert into two armies one is a religiouse fanatic no range army and a gunline (i like them escpecilly fun to watch two shoot it out)

i hate lizzard men because they always anoy me because of so many things :mad:

i like ogres in general even when they cream me

elves are always easy just because there all sissys

so those are just some of my many views on things that have crossed my mind while writing this post sort of like how i hosuld do a sudoku or play a video game or fill out my college application (omg im running so late on that i havnt even taken the sat) k im done

speedygogo
29-12-2006, 12:26
I don't think it is the army but rather the competativeness of the game and the sportsmanship of the opponent that is the most fun to play against.

Psychodelica
29-12-2006, 16:38
Hey I was just wondering what your guys/gals favorite army to play agianst in warhammer is and if you have time why?

Depends on which army I have myself... When playing my Wood Elves I really like fighting High Elves. (Perhaps partly because my significant other really sucks at playing them :p ) When meeting elves I don't have to roll as many 5+ to wound since everyone has toughness 3 instead of the annoying 4 in many other armies. To inspire as many WE-HE fights as possible I've created some fun fluff about my army and why the High Elves are out to get them so badly...

When playing with my skaven, I like meeting lizardmen, since their quite varied army make fun targets for all the not-so-reliable warmachines of the skaven. The fluff on why skaven and lizardmen love to fight eachother is already written by GW, so I don't have to make it up my self.

Edit: The most important part is of course not the army, but the other player. When you play with someone obviously enjoying the game and who doesn't take it all too bloody seriously that is a real kick. When your opponent is only focused on winning and beating you to satisfy their fragile ego the fun evaporises in a thin mist of ooze.

Corrupt
29-12-2006, 17:33
Funnest 3 games I ever had

My Brettonians vs Empire Gunline
Epic!!! Although very predictable (Knights charging into storm of lead) it was one of my favourite battles ever. Knights dying heroically as they closed over the first 2-3 turns before striking home and breaking the empire line. Result? Total draw with less than half a dozen survivors each side.

My High Elves vs Skaven
The horde approached my lines, outnumbered almost 8-1(Svaken had 6kpts vs my 3k) but elves were unbreakable due to last stand. The sky was darkened as elven archers pinchushioned numerous rats, but still they came. Seconds before the attack struck home, the archers retreated behind the spear line. The skaven ran onto the wall and the most grusome deathly scene ensues hundreds of rats slowly clawing their way through this wall of elven spearmen. The Silverhelms and Dragon Knights charged in and were slowly dragged down until finally, with my regiments reduced to literally 2-3 survivors the attack lessened until the skaven were in full flight.
Minor Victory to Elves

My friends borrowed Empire vs Empire
No magic game, all infantry apart from mounted heroes.
Combat units were swiftly destroyed until just handgunners and engineers remained, standing 24" apart. Every turn "Hangunners, Present Arms, FIRE!!!! Reload" Enemy replies with the like both armies just blowing holes in each others lines until the GW staff decided both sides were out of ammo and had to charge each other.
Casualty rates were halved as handgunners were suddenly not using str 4handguns. You can imagine it
"Siiiir he pushed me"
"Well push him back then"
"Ugh you unfluffed my fluffy jerkin. DAMN YOU"
etcetcetc
Funnest battle ever...complete draw again

It seems close faught epic draws are much more fun that victorious slaughters

master of chaos
29-12-2006, 19:38
Bretonnia, my friend plays bretonnia and my skaven eat them alive, I guess my tactics are just too advanced:p

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
29-12-2006, 19:46
Night Goblins. Because without Fanatics, they suck at life.

Poisonpen
29-12-2006, 20:35
Doesn't it seem that whenever a topic like this comes up the answer is always "any army but ____?" Therefor, I feel the better question is: "what army don't you like to play against." :p
Seriously though, my favorite armies to play against: Empire, O&G, any Undead, and Wood/High/Dark Elves come to mind first.

While I mainly play Ogre Kingdoms I have never played against them so I cannot say if I enjoy fighting them or not. My opponents tell me they enjoy playing against my army, but I try very hard to make balanced lists so it may have nothing to do with the actual army itself.

Sir Phobos
29-12-2006, 21:16
This is kinda disconcerting because I am thinking about playing Lizardmen and no ones has said oh I like playing agianst them. Maybe I wont play them, lol

vampires are cool!
29-12-2006, 22:42
Orcs& goblins. My freinds orc boss has a personal vendetta against my Va,pire lord - bassed an entire campaign around their loathing of each other, which was probably the most fun I've ever had outside the bedroom.
Orcs rock as CC opponants and i just love their character, plus he's such a competant general with them that every game is challenging and fresh.

Angelwing
29-12-2006, 22:54
its all about the other player, not thier army.
having said that, my skaven have a decade old grudge against my friends high elves. its always fought to the last!

enyoss
30-12-2006, 01:18
to be honest, I enjoyed playing against dwarves back in 4th edition, a few times a year, my group and I would play a big game, usually chaos and orcs Vs. dwarfs, we would get our arses handed to us time and time again (curse that rune of valaya!)

even though we lost all the time (my general was often shot off his steed on the first turn by a cannonball or 6 before he'd even had a chance to move!) it was fun, the few times it was a close game, it was always utterly chaotic, chaos lords slaughtering 12 dwarves in a single turn... 24 chaos knights killed by cannons in a single shooting phase...

Ahhhh, the halycon days. Now that was when an organ gun was an organ gun :D.

I think when we finally won a game, the cheering could be heard miles away!

The day I see that second unit of Chaos Knight on your army list is the day you can claim that as a win.

I quite enjoy playing Dark Elves and Chaos Hordes (the traditional enemies of my beloved High Elves :)) while I find Empire can be frustrating at times (Mortars vs Swordmasters :cries:) but I relish the challenge.

I'm not too keen on fighting Brettonians, and Tomb Kings wouldn't be my first choice either. Reasons for the first: Lady's Blessing. I don't want to start a Bret bashing discussion here but I don't really enjoy playing against it. Reasons for the second: I've played against these guys loads over the past two years and need a break!

Cheers,

enyoss

vorac
30-12-2006, 04:44
i enjoy chaos,orcs and goblins and ogres. I hate lizzies and woodelves.

kyussinchains
30-12-2006, 12:45
The day I see that second unit of Chaos Knight on your army list is the day you can claim that as a win.

the same day you realise that the rune of forging cant be put on organ guns? and that flame cannons and steam cannons needed to ROLL TO HIT, not to mention your shameless abuse of the rune of slowness!

/thread hijacking

TheRupert
30-12-2006, 17:06
I love playing against Dwarves...they are hard to beat, but a lot of fun to play against.

The boyz
30-12-2006, 17:25
I enjoy playing against most armies. I dont really have an army that stands out for me as one that is my favourite to play against. I think alot of it depends on the opponent as well.

Corrupt
30-12-2006, 21:52
This is kinda disconcerting because I am thinking about playing Lizardmen and no ones has said oh I like playing agianst them. Maybe I wont play them, lol

I love playing against lizardmen. So many variations you can come up against. Slann, Saurus, Skinks
Big change from
Man, Man with sword, Man with bow, Man on horse, Man in tank, Man with gun.

Tutore
30-12-2006, 21:56
I love playing against dwarves, skaven and orcs&goblins. I also must say that I hate playing against completely unpainted armies. I don't paint well, but my army is still good-looking, and it's sad to see the other army unpainted.

Psychodelica
31-12-2006, 00:03
I love playing against dwarves, skaven and orcs&goblins. I also must say that I hate playing against completely unpainted armies. I don't paint well, but my army is still good-looking, and it's sad to see the other army unpainted.

Word.

Or when the army is so full of proxes you have no idea what you're up against.

vampires are cool!
31-12-2006, 00:10
Main consenses seems to indicate love or the greenies