PDA

View Full Version : Double Choppa or Choppa and Shield?

elmolovesthekroot
28-12-2006, 15:09
Hi,
I was wondering for my Orc Army if the Warrior Orcs should be equipped with the Double Choppa option or the Choppa and Shield? Which one is better?

Elmo

greenskin
28-12-2006, 15:18
You get people who like one or the other so go with how your particular army performs against other armies you play against. Are you always getting shot up and/or charged? Do you play a lot of Undead you have to weed? Personally, I choose choppa and shield.

Krusk
28-12-2006, 16:35
Like he said. Do you want killyness, or survivability? Choppa and shield makes for some good survivability, a +4 save on a t4 orc is nothing to sneeze at. And two choppas can be good too. two s4 hits can really sting. Generic, one choppa orcs are not so bad either, what with being cheap and all.

DeathlessDraich
28-12-2006, 17:13
Get both and choose on the 1st turn of combat.

greenskin
28-12-2006, 17:37
Get both and choose on the 1st turn of combat.
No offense, DD, but YUCK!

Featherbolt
28-12-2006, 18:15
Getting both is too expensive for what you get.
I think Choppas are an excellent weapon so getting two is twice as good. If you could take 3 I would have recommended it as well. However the Orcs become much more resilient with the shield, so it's not that much an easy choice.
You should have in mind the role of that particular unit in your army. If they need to survive long and keep punching, a shield is an excellent tool. If they need to do great damage on 1st turn of combat and then they can perish (or chase down those who failed combat results!) the additional choppa is the weapon for you.

Count de Monet
28-12-2006, 18:22
If you've got the one-part double-choppa models, go with double choppa. :D

asrian
29-12-2006, 01:59
I'm currently having the same delimma. My main opponents are Dwarves, undead, and Brets so I'm thinking Choppa/Shield, but I'm not sure which option would serve me best.

Da GoBBo
29-12-2006, 10:48
For only 6 points, orcs with choppa/shield are silly good. It actually makes em quiet reliable. Two choppa's are also very nice but only versus weaker units (versus tough units it still won't be very efffective, even when combined with the banner of butchery, shields will be better in this case). Versus weaker units the choppa/shield combo will do too and its cheaper. Yes, I'd go with shields, though I still consider taking small units with 2 choppa's (which must be screened well).

Revlid
29-12-2006, 10:56
What self-respecting Orc would value his safety over the amount of damage he could do to the enemy?

Double Choppas all round.

bluesky322
29-12-2006, 11:05
What self-respecting Orc would value his safety over the amount of damage he could do to the enemy?

hear hear (guess i used the right hear)

i got double choppas on my boys and black orcs and for fun on my archers (just joking the second choppa is ammo for the bow:D )

speedygogo
29-12-2006, 11:07

Excellent point!

Da GoBBo
29-12-2006, 11:17

:) yeh, but the question was what the better option is. Overall, choppa/shield is just better.

matticusmaximus
30-12-2006, 04:21
I would say Choppa/shield for big blocks (25-30 Orcs), and then in a very Empire way, bring "detachments" of about 10 or so Orcs that will hit hard with two choppas.

Braad
30-12-2006, 14:29
Now with the +1 S also with 2 choppa's I think that option is better, especially with big units of 25. Who would miss a few orcs that die due to lack of armour when you have a whole bunch more!

My big 'uns on the other hand are equiped with choppa's and shield to keep the cost down a little and make those expensive guys a little more sturdy.
On the other hand, two choppa's on S5 would also be very nice...

I'dd say, do them both! And not on the same model, but just double the amount of boyz :)
The more boyz, the better.

stormfalcon
30-12-2006, 23:01
I use two blocks of 25 orcs with choppa and shield and one block of 25 big 'uns with double choppa and shield. Yeah, it ain't cheap, but that versatility has been a real lifesaver. The regular choppa and shield orcs hold their own admirably, and the 4+ save is a real boost. Big 'uns to me scream "double choppa" for the damage they can do (especially with Nogg's banner) but I still like having the defense if they take a charge.

Chicago Slim
31-12-2006, 01:01
The lesson of the thread: like eating a Reese's, there's no wrong way to equip an orc.

Fideru
31-12-2006, 01:38

You hit the nail there. Very good point.

Rivlo
31-12-2006, 15:21
This might sound stupid, but what I use is just a big fat unit of 30 Boyz, equipped with DubbleChoppas. I have enough extra to absorb a few hits from shooting and magic, and I have a chance to actually survive against Dwarves/Wood Elfs/Empire Shooty armies. In my general experience, brute force is best with orcs. And if it doesn't work, you're not using enough :evilgrin: