PDA

View Full Version : Chris_Tzeentch's Darkwood Army

Chris_Tzeentch
28-12-2006, 19:05
After spending way, way too long playing Chaos armies, I have decided to continue with an old aborted Wood Elf army, although there is a slight twist - a Forest Spirit Army with a very evil, twisted feel. The sort of army that wouldn't look out of place in a Tim Burton movie.

The original idea was to use an army comprising of 3 units of 8 dryads, 2 units of 4 Treekin, a Treeman ancient leading the army, a level 2 sorceress mounted on a steed, a unit of 6 wild riders lead by a hero, and a large unit of the Cursed Company. I built myself an army list, and it seems to be quite sound, on paper at least.

I have completed a test dryad model, who is looking very dark, nasty and has been partially covered in moss.

The Cursed Company is being assembled from normal Skeletons, but they are all armed with axes, which have been converted from Skeleton spears and axeheads from the Chaos Warrior sprues. They seem to have come out ok.

I will take some pictures and post them as soon as I can.

Astador
28-12-2006, 19:13
I like the idea, what caught my attention was the mention they'll feel right at home in a Tim Burton movie. His movies are amazing! So lets see some pics so I can decide if I like it or not! lol I'll definatly be watching this one though.

Chris_Tzeentch
28-12-2006, 20:39
I will definitely be using this miniature in there somewhere

http://enigmaminiatures.com/web/catalogo/54/54-0004/1/1.htm

Astador
28-12-2006, 20:41
Very cool very very cool! lol Can't wait to see it!

noneedforaname
28-12-2006, 22:36
are you aware that those seth nash models are 54mm not 30mm like fantasy?

Ozymandiass
28-12-2006, 22:59
are you aware that those seth nash models are 54mm not 30mm like fantasy?

54mm would make a good Treeman or a beefed up branchwraith. And GW is 28 mm.

Ozymandias, King of Kings

Chris_Tzeentch
28-12-2006, 23:31
I was thinking about using it as a treeman. A quick visit to Asrai.org has given me tons of inspiration - i'll post more links tomorrow.

Chris_Tzeentch
29-12-2006, 18:17
Well, I have found a suitable model for Kruger of the Cursed Company :

Its a model from the old Celtos range, they are still available online.

I have been busy painting skeletons for the Cursed Company, and they are looking pretty cool.
I have gone for a rather dark colour scheme rather than the pristine white bone look.
They look like they have recently been dug up from an english forest rather than being in a tomb.

I haven't attached the shields yet, as I am still deciding what to do with the unit markings.

Astador
29-12-2006, 18:19
That is pretty sweet!

Boss_Salvage
29-12-2006, 18:22
Man I love me some Cursed Company, and actually once started a Wood Elves army with Krüger and friends! Spooky ... o_O

Great celtos model you found, looking forward to seeing how your army shapes up.

- Salvage

static grass
29-12-2006, 18:50
54mm would make a good Treeman or a beefed up branchwraith. And GW is 28 mm.

Ozymandias, King of Kings

Actually I am pretty sure that the scale has changed to 30mm.
That IS an awesome conversion!

Full marks for style and vision!

#EDIT#

Oops it seems like this is a mini... oh well full marks for something.

Astador
29-12-2006, 18:56
I know 40K started at 25, and is currently 28. I believe Fantasy is the same size or maybe smaller.

noneedforaname
29-12-2006, 19:17
nope, fantasy is now 30 to 32mm the same with most of 40k only lotr is true 28mm

thats why they get the perrys to do it as they are great at true 28mm figures

Chris_Tzeentch
29-12-2006, 19:21
Here is the picture of my first skeletons - fairly happy with them

Chris_Tzeentch
29-12-2006, 19:31
And here is the picture of the first dryad, which I was also fairly pleased with. It is dark, nasty and very quick to paint too.

Chris_Tzeentch
29-12-2006, 19:52
I have also made a decision regarding the banner for the Cursed Company.

I was thinking along the lines of a celtic symbol of animal, and repeating this on the shields of the Cursed Company.

However, I had a look some of the Confrontation miniatures, and they had some really nice celtic shields (see link below) - its the shield on the 3rd Kelt Warriors 1.

http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?type=123&ref=CAUKBARG01&code_lg=lg_us&pag=1&num=9&tri=0&marq=0

So I have decided to go with these, with a nice green gem in the centre, rusted metal and patches of moss.

For the banner, I am going with a neutral cream colour banner with the green man design. I have a kit which allows you to make waterslide transfers from inkjet printer designs, so I am going to use that, and simply put the decal on the banner.

HiredSword.
29-12-2006, 20:41
cool, a whole tree spirit army, and the cursed company certainly adds a spin to it. So what's the fluff for the skeletons? they definately fit the dark feel.

Chris_Tzeentch
29-12-2006, 21:01
Well, the original idea was that this wood spirit army was based around a wood elf spellsinger who was allied with a particularly nasty bunch of tree spirits who were aggresive and didn't get on with the other wood elves. The spellsinger was powerful, but insane, and was prepared to use necromantic magic to defend her realm and decimate trespassers. The necromancer idea grew on me more and more. I was thinking of doing a necromancer army before this idea got going, so I have kind of amalgamated the ideas together. I built myself a prototype spellsinger of the glamourweave kindred on a horse, but the result was a little drab. I was looking to have all the elves (the spellsinger and wild riders) hooded with black cloaks, like evil guerilla fighters.

Now the necromancer idea has developed into the best option. I am going to have a level 4 spellsinger (a witch - necromancer) who has allied with the evil spirits to defend their forest area. The witch wants the solitude to work in peace uninterupted, the evil spirits want to be left alone - their goals are shared, so it makes sense to fight together. I also came across the new Heresy Miniatures witch scuplted by Paul Muller, which is fantastic, so I was totally sold on that idea.

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/images/pages/hv026.htm

The Cursed Company are the results of the Witches necromantic experiments. The Kreuger character will be her bodyguard. The skeletons were once warriors from an ancient tribe who once lived in the forests (hence the celtic background).

For the wild riders, they will also be the results of necromantic experiments - undead centaurs!

Chris_Tzeentch
29-12-2006, 21:18
I found the ideal miniatures for my Treekin. They were on a thread from Asrai.org -

http://www.woodelves.org/Asrai/viewtopic.php?t=5195&highlight=dryad

Absolutely perfect!

Chris_Tzeentch
29-12-2006, 21:27
Also, I quite liked this treewoman, it would fit into my theme -

http://www.woodelves.org/Asrai/viewtopic.php?t=2731&highlight=dryad

devolutionary
29-12-2006, 21:28
If you want good, woodsy, evil-looking models, go to Privateer Press and look up Circle Orboros for Hordes. The Tharn models in particular will be useful for you - pseudo werewolves with tribalistic furs and stone weaponry.

Chris_Tzeentch
30-12-2006, 08:36
I do have the Circle Orboros already, it had occured to me that woldwarden and woldwatchers would have been ideal for treeman and treekin. However, I didn't want to have the same miniature in both systems. I got some Tharn ravagers for Christmas, and they are great (I think they were designed by Paul Muller too).

Chris_Tzeentch
07-01-2007, 22:00
I have completed my first unit of Dryads, and attached the pictures below. They are all done save for a coat of Testors Dullcote, which I will do as soon as it stops raining in Wales (so sometime around June!).

Also I had a look at the shields from the Confrontation range, and they are a little too large for the skeletons. I had a rethink, and I have decided to go for the Shield carried by the Green Knight from the Bretonnian range, which is perfect, as it depicts the celtic Green Man which is also on the standard.

The skeleton standard for the Cursed Company has been redone, as the transfer came out rather badly. I will do a paper banner and attach that instead.

The skeletons are coming along nicely, so I should have some pics in a few days.

You might have noticed two of the dryads are missing arms - this was overzealous drybrushing on my part - doh!

Chris_Tzeentch
07-01-2007, 22:05
Here are the dryad pics as promised.

mrtn
08-01-2007, 16:49
Nice ones, and nice army theme. :)

What colour did you use on the base edges?

Chris_Tzeentch
08-01-2007, 18:58
The bases are graveyard earth (from GW).