PDA

View Full Version : Can Tzeentch wargors/beastlords use darkoth

Kerill
12-07-2005, 04:45
Thats the question- can a wargor or beastlord of Tzeentch use the staff of darkoth? I've not heard of any FAQ that covers this, and I cant see why they couldn't- anyone have any idea?

Strictly Commercial
12-07-2005, 05:34
I say no. The item says "shaman only". If the mark of Tzeentch said the lord/hero became a level 4/2 shaman then there would be no controversy, but it is an entirely different type of spellcaster than a bray shaman with an understanding of an entirely different type of magic. In fact, I think the shaman only distinction is written for the exact purpose of indicating that Tzeentch marked characters can't use it, as "beasts of chaos only" would be used otherwise.

Festus
12-07-2005, 06:43
Hi

I'd OTOH say that they can. as the BoC Book states that Beastmen wizards are generally called *shaman*

Greetings
Festus

Riddy
12-07-2005, 08:40
Yes they can, as a Tzeench Wagor/Beastlord is classed as a Shaman and the staff states Shaman only, so I would allow it.

Strictly Commercial
13-07-2005, 08:00
Could you guys put a page number up that shows this? I can't seem to find where it states this, as under the mark of Tzeentch it says sorcerer, not shaman.

I realize that in the main rulebook the term wizard is said to describe all spellcasters and that they go by different names, but in this case, unless I can see it in print, I interpret the name shaman as a separate type of wizard than can take shaman only items (since BoC characters are also listed under arcane items and only wizards can access those).

Riddy
13-07-2005, 11:44
I believe there was an errata that sorted out all the problems with BoC and the mark of tzeench.

Strictly Commercial
14-07-2005, 05:34
Those dang errata... but in this case I suppose it is necessary. It really is a fine line here.

Selsaral
14-07-2005, 15:28
Er damn I forgot my beasts of chaos book again. But it explicitly defines what mark of tzeentch is, and specifically says they count as a shaman. It's near the end of the book, not necessarily where you'd expect the rule to be. If I can remember next time I'm home i'll post the page number.

Strictly Commercial
15-07-2005, 01:10
Okay I found it. On p 76 of the BoC army book.

"The term 'shaman' is used to describe Beastmen Wizards. This also covers Bray-shamans, Great Bray-shamans (sic) and those with the mark of Tzeentch."

Kerill
17-07-2005, 12:25
U think they shopuld too (because of that line in the book, has anyone actually seen an errata? Its a very useful piece of kit giving your beasty characters the option of a magic great weapon (so a little extra mileage against ethereals etc.) or a plus2 to armoue save if taking a charge (2+ if you have chaos armour) and a nice spell.

anarchistica
19-07-2005, 22:41
U think they shopuld too (because of that line in the book, has anyone actually seen an errata?
It's right there in the BoC book, as Strictly Commercial quoted. GW should've simply labelled the item "Wizards only" but they decided to use needlesly fancy and confusing wording instead.

useless
23-07-2005, 08:35
i think it only means bray shamans but i might be wrong

Flame
23-07-2005, 14:48
Technically, as has been pointed out, it is 'Shamen' Only. If it had meant bray-shamen only, IMO it should have said so.

Its there I believe so that Tzeentch themed beasts armies can still gain acess to the spell.