PDA

View Full Version : The Forgeworld Thread

Norminator
29-12-2006, 00:57
I've been thinking recently about Forgeworld models, and the one thing that struck me is that, ultimately, in most cases you're buying a rather expensive model that you only know of from seeing a picture on a website - due to their comparative rarity chances are you won't know anyone who has one.

This is where this thread comes in. It's for everyone to discuss what they feel of Forgeworld models they own or have seen (in detail) themselves - either aesthetics or from a gaming perspective. Also, if you have any good pictures that aren't present on the Forgeworld website it would be interesting to point to them here.

I personally have several Forgeworld models for my Tau. The XV89 Battlesuit is lovely - a dream to put to together and a lovely model once completed, not to mention the 2+ armour save being quite useful in protecting your expensive commander. On the topic of battlesuits the Forgeworld Broadside varients are also great looking models - in my opinion superior in most ways to the Gamesworkshop versions.

Tetras are as well lovely looking models, but ones that (I find) are a bit of a waste on the battlefield - it is cheaper to just attach marker drones to units rather than paying the large points for a vunerable vehicle.

I recently purchased a Tigershark, and whilst it, again, is a lovely model I'm a bit peeved at the trouble I have assembling it. Engine pods don't fit, railguns don't align and, worst of all, the front is bent in a way that means heavy filing is needed for the escape pod to even squeeze in. It better be worth the effort when the painting starts.

Now everyone, post your thoughts :D

Note: There were two reasons for placing this thread here. Primarily it is because the majority of Forgeworld models are 40k themed, although I don't wish to exclude Fantasy models from discussions. Also this is placed in a 'general' board as it is rather 'trans-topic' - modelling and tactics being the most noteworthy subjects of interest.

Alsiaie
29-12-2006, 01:08
I have purchased a lot of forgeworld material. It is VERY rare to see any local gamers here use IA rules, but basic 40k FW components are a common sight like dreadnoughts. I do agree to a point FW's quality can be poor at times. I personally think however that prices for IA books and models with IA rules are way too expensive to buy ($) in most cases. Shipping is not that big of an issue, but it is ridiculous that I have to spend $100+ for book.

Assembly IS a pain all the time. I have recently purchased a used eldar vampire hunter and the model was poorly planned. The wings are very very heavy and they actually have to be held on with O-rings and nails. At the same time, the weight of the wings will literally snap the sides of the hull in half without reinforcement. Thankfully the person I got it from was smart. But then again, I paid less than half retail for it. IMO this IS actually a fair price for such a large model for what I paid.

http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1176645&postcount=195

As for accessories, I have been very unpleased. Through a lot of chimera/rhino doors, I have not had one that fit properly. FW has only replaced one set out of several that I have purchased. On top of that, the quality on reinforced armor seems to be very poor. I have rhino door frames bent so far out of shape, they are beyond repair with hot water. FW refuses to replace them even when I gave them pictures. Now I'm just doing everything with plasticard. The quality on FW infantry models are pretty good though. Even the monstrous ones. Bad on the price. Deadnoughts are also still on my purchase list. The main issues usually come up with vehicles and components.

Greatoliver
29-12-2006, 01:09
I do not own any FW stuff, nor do I plan to.

There are numerous things that put me off.

Firstly is the fact that they're not inclided in the codex of my "x" army and you need an IA book to use most of them. That means more cash and well honestly, it's too much effort.

Secondly, it's expensive. Normal GW stuff burns a hole in your pocket like a knife through butter, while this stuff is like thermite through paper! I just on't want to spend that much money...

Thirdly, the fact that it's resin puts me off. I have no idea what the stuff is but the general fact that it's not metal or plastic is...Unappealing.

The fourth and final things is that there is an aurora around FW stuff. If I aquired some, I would cherish it and be very protective, as well as making it my best model. But, it needs a good paint job and I don't feel I have the skills to make a FW model look good and make it up to the standard expected...

No, they're out of it for me.

Norminator
29-12-2006, 01:15
I like how that Vampire Hunter is based Alsiaie; does it look particularly complicated to do? I want to base my Tigershark, but conversly think that to hold up such weight a huge base would be needed, as well as having to drill a hole through the model (which, considering it's Forgeworld, I'm not too inclined to do).

Psycho_Laughs
29-12-2006, 01:20
i started with smaller models when i began buying forge world... what a slipery slide that proved to be.
my very first FW models was the cyclops. only 3 parts to the kit, very easy to put together, and for such a small model it has an impressive amount of detail. it is also one of my favorite pieces to play with, with its characterful rules. even my oponents like it.
next it was a adept mechanicus... i've cleaned the model, but i have yet to assemple and paint it because it just looks incredibly fragile. it's been like that for over a year.

the tetras were great fun to paint and work with. great detail, and i find that a scouting fast vehicle just poses so many tactical advantages. zooming to claim a quarter or a less accessible objective before the game even begins is very useful.

after those i got me a hellblade. it was a pleasure to put together, and it is now primed and awaiting a paintjob. i was originally going to use it on my word bearers army, but decided to wait what forgeworld will do with the renegade chaos militia, so i'm waiting for IA5 to start painting this bad boy.

the next model after the hellblade was my stormblade super heavy. once again, Fw wowed me with amazing detail, the model required some solid hours of cleaning, including excessive flash on the track assembly, but it was a pleasure to paint as well. i have to finalize the detail work on it. right now it's in good table quality, but with a model like that you want amazing quality, so i'm not rushing it. i have played one game with it for fun, and super heavies really do dominate the battle field, so i would only suggest their use in games where your opponent has one in his possession as well, or at least some serious anti tank fire power.

and the latest (yet not the last for sure) is my thunderbolt heavy fighter. this one had some serious warping that required some boiled water and carefull reshaping of some parts, but nothing too hard to deal with. it's still waiting for assembly, so i don't know just how well it will fare in battle.

all in all, FW adds an extra zing to the flavor of 40k gaming, and the models are rare enough that you'll probably be one of the few to own it in your area, which also has a certain appeal.

Necrontyr
29-12-2006, 01:21
I have quite a few Forgeworld models, 3 flyers, a dozen or so infantry, a Baneblade, and all of it has been pretty solid mold wise. There is the problem with lots of flash, but that's normal with resin models. I've never had a problem with poor casting or warped anything.

The rules area lot of fun too. You don't need them to be competitive, nothing is over the top, and they add a little extra to the game.

Alsiaie
29-12-2006, 01:25
I like how that Vampire Hunter is based Alsiaie; does it look particularly complicated to do? I want to base my Tigershark, but conversly think that to hold up such weight a huge base would be needed, as well as having to drill a hole through the model (which, considering it's Forgeworld, I'm not too inclined to do).

The base isn't that great IMO. It came with the model. No holes are needed of you play it smart. This model just happen to have the right round grooves for wooden pegs as shown below. I don't think I can bring myself to drill holes in expensive models. Take your time and plan out a good base on which the model can just rest on.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/Alsiaie/Eldar/Vampire/vampire8.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/Alsiaie/Eldar/Vampire/vampire9.jpg

I have quite a few Forgeworld models, 3 flyers, a dozen or so infantry, a Baneblade, and all of it has been pretty solid mold wise. There is the problem with lots of flash, but that's normal with resin models. I've never had a problem with poor casting or warped anything.

The rules area lot of fun too. You don't need them to be competitive, nothing is over the top, and they add a little extra to the game.

I do agree that quality on Imperial Navy and IG models is pretty good. I've seen nothing but problems with CSM and SM FW material though. Deadlyheadly is a good example. I never see him complain with his IG/IN models.

EarlGrey
29-12-2006, 01:27

Could you make a sort of cradle for it? Two rods with err... shelf like things that it can rest on. Might look a bit ugly, but means you can take it off for transportation and you wont have to drill a hole.

Norminator
29-12-2006, 01:31
The only problem with that is to make is secure enough so it doesn't constantly 'flop' you'd end up covering up a large amount of the model.

Hmm... I'll have to see what I can do.

Alsiaie
29-12-2006, 01:34
The base I have is pretty sturdy actually. The wood block is really rough and may give me slivers. I'm probably going to make one similar but at a higher quality. All the pegs come out for easy storage.

Assuming you'll have constant access to the interior of your tiger shark and considering how much you care about interior quality, earth magnets combined with horizontal supports may work. I am considering this myself. I do have disks large as 1" in diameter that I used on my other eldar grav tanks. They're pretty strong considering I have to keep plastic washers between them otherwise I can't get them apart without major force. But with resin between the magnets, the force would be light enough to remove with ease but strong enough to hold very securely.

Darkane
29-12-2006, 01:53
My first experience with forgeworld came not too long ago actually. Once I got a look at those work in progress pics of the death korps I just had to have them. So I followed up on them till forgeworld had the first squad up for pre-oder. I pre-ordered the squad naturally of course and was surprised at how quickly the order came in...just a couple days after the release date.

I still can't really desribe at how impressed I was with the detail! I mean anyone else who's got stuff from forgeworld has got to know what I'm talking about. It's like, all those pictures on their website look cool enough but they can't possibly convey how awesome the models actually look in person. I was just...completely in awe. Recently I've also had a chance to see a bio titan someone had brought in at the games workshop nearby. I was again impressed with the level of detail and even more impressed with how huge the model was. I mean yeah, they list the dimensions on the website but its still kinda hard for me at least to picture how big these things are unless their sitting right in front of you. And man...that was one big beastie...

Quality wise I haven't been let down that much. I've only ordered a few squads of death korps and heavy weapons teams and the only problems i'm having right now are with the lasguns. They're very frail and tend to come either bent at weird angles or have the tips broken off. I've had bubble holes in the cloaks on two so far that have came but those were easily filled with greenstuff and I had one guy with this big lumpy chunk of resin filling the area between the cloak and his legs. At first I was worried it must have been a miscast but i found that it was surprisingly easy to trim away the clump leaving none of the detail ruined. That also reminds me that a few of the models I've gotten have also had a LOT of flash but I've found that the flash on these models is even easier to remove than flash from plastic and metal models. I have yet to order a larger model or anything else from forgeworld but I'm looking forward to getting a Gorgon sometime soon so we'll see how that goes.

Norminator
29-12-2006, 02:00
Anyone else had the problem where the resin almost seems to be layered? Initially I passed it off as flash, but I'm not too sure. It's really hard to describe it without showing what it is.

Alsiaie
29-12-2006, 02:02
Anyone else had the problem where the resin almost seems to be layered? Initially I passed it off as flash, but I'm not too sure. It's really hard to describe it without showing what it is.

Only once and a very small amount. When I was shaving off some thick flash, it broke off and took some thin layers of resin with it. Nothing a little sanding can't fix. But I do often notice on "cross-sections" of some components do have some layers. The resin is compress enough where it really doesn't make a difference though.

Norminator
29-12-2006, 02:07
I have had it quite a bit on my Tigershark where the layers appear to have broken off at some prior point, effectively leading to a very ugly layered appearence on the parts that requires a lot of filing to get rid of, and ultimately leads to quite a bit of adverse effect to the model's appearance.

Lord Macharius
29-12-2006, 02:31
I really like the forge world stuff, mainly due to the extra amount of detail you get from resin.I'd like to see more infantry type accessories (SM pads etc) which i feel are reasonably priced and less 'big' stuff that is overpriced and could probably be done in plastic nowadays.

The only thing i've had problems with so far (touch wood) is the reinforced rhino armour and the arms for a couple of the elysian drop troops. Which were just a pain in the @$$!

Rypher
29-12-2006, 07:59
Being an Eldar player, I currently have two FW models in my possesion:
1) A Scorpion Mk. II
I do need the IA update 2006 to use this model properly in my games, but I feel it adds character to my army that many don't have. : D
2) FW Avatar.
I am actually assemblying him as I type this. The detail is amazing and is a fantastic model.

Currently, I am pleased with the models, however the resin for my Mk. II is slightly warped [the long pulsars only] thanks partly to being in my baking mailbox on a hot Texas afternoon...

PaRaSiTe_X92
29-12-2006, 11:19
I havent bought anything yet from FW, but on their Eldar page (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_ELDAR_22.html) I found something I was confused about.

What is the difference between the "ELDAR WAVE SERPENT MISSILE LAUNCHER TURRET" and the ELDAR WAVE SERPENT WITH MISSILE LAUNCHER CONVERSION KIT"? It makes it sound as though the second includes a wave serpent, but the price and convertion kit makes it seem as though it doesn't. Huh?

Also, what difference are their between the standard and the "ELDAR FALCON TYPE II" kits?

Cheers all.

Goq Gar
29-12-2006, 11:42
I want a titan.

I want it more than I want my own midget clone of myself.

If I could afford one, I would buy it, however, I cannot. Ergo, the reason not many people have a forge world model: Price.

harlequin21
29-12-2006, 11:53
I havent bought anything yet from FW, but on their Eldar page (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_ELDAR_22.html) I found something I was confused about.

What is the difference between the "ELDAR WAVE SERPENT MISSILE LAUNCHER TURRET" and the ELDAR WAVE SERPENT WITH MISSILE LAUNCHER CONVERSION KIT"? It makes it sound as though the second includes a wave serpent, but the price and convertion kit makes it seem as though it doesn't. Huh?

Also, what difference are their between the standard and the "ELDAR FALCON TYPE II" kits?

Cheers all.

The "Eldar Wave Serpent Missile Launcher Turret" option only contains the Missile Launcher turret and thats all while the "conversion" kit contains both the missile launcher turret and a Wave Serpent

JustTony
29-12-2006, 12:06
The Wave Serpent Conversion kit is just that, a complete kit to add to the plastic Falcon to make a Wave Serpent. It includes a new rear hull section, rear hull door, 2 hinges for the door, the wave generator cross piece that goes between the "wings" of the hull front, the six "gems" which go on the side of the front hull wings and the turret, selected weapon system (MLs in this case) and the hinge to allow the weapons to pivot slightly. They are an absolute bitch to build, but look better than the plastic kit.

There is no "in game" difference between the standard Falcon and the Type II kit. The kit just makes the Falcon look like the new Scorpion 2 superheavy.

Nebuchadnezzar
29-12-2006, 12:19
i own some forge world stuff.
(the hierodules barbed and sythed, the death guar dread, rhino doors and rhino amor kits)

the tyranid hierodules are easy to assemble
no problems with the models amazing detail
2 problems occured at closer look one hat a broken tooth the other hat a air bubble under a part of its amour (about 0.7 cam lon and 0.3 cm long) had to fill it with green.

the drad had some realy big blocks of resin at some areas (from casting the model, don't know the english expression for them)
they had to be removed very carefully because of u cut them directliy at the moddel some of the moddel wil break away with them.
the rest was easy and it was heaven to paint it :)

the rhino doors and amour are pain in the ass.
nearly no part fits propperly!
some are too small teh oters are way too small
hot water and green stuff all the time. :(

but when al the assemblin and paintig is done the are worth the work and money

PaRaSiTe_X92
29-12-2006, 12:56
The Wave Serpent Conversion kit is just that, a complete kit to add to the plastic Falcon to make a Wave Serpent. It includes a new rear hull section, rear hull door, 2 hinges for the door, the wave generator cross piece that goes between the "wings" of the hull front, the six "gems" which go on the side of the front hull wings and the turret, selected weapon system (MLs in this case) and the hinge to allow the weapons to pivot slightly. They are an absolute bitch to build, but look better than the plastic kit.

There is no "in game" difference between the standard Falcon and the Type II kit. The kit just makes the Falcon look like the new Scorpion 2 superheavy.
Cheers.

Why would someone want to convert a Falcon to a Wave Serpent?

And what are the actual differences between Falcon and the Type II kits? I remember the back flap thingy is extended; what else?

Jellicoe
29-12-2006, 13:05
You would convert a falcon to a wave serpent when no wave serpent model actually existed. This was the case for many many years

Many still prefer the FW Serpent look although common opinion has it that their conversion kits are a total swine to make work

Moralein
29-12-2006, 13:18
I've got quite a few of the FW models and generally find them to be excellent in terms of both assembly and detail. I've had a few problems with distorted pieces but usually hot water works really well to bend them back to shape.

The only real problem I've had was with the passenger compartment on the wave serpent conversion kit. It was so distorted that I got in touch with FW and they sent me a replacement.

As far as cost is concerned both GW and FW models are a luxury. No-one forces any of us to collect them. FW models are even more expensive but in my opinion worth every penny.

UrbanKnight
29-12-2006, 13:46
I too am a total forgeworld addict, I enjoy having them and frankly, the detail can not be beat, I have everything pretty much from a Land Speeder Tempest to a thunderhawk gunship, and with the slight irritation of the addtional time and effort they require have absolutely no regrets. I mean really, the first time you field a titan, or a super heavy flyer and have them scare the crap out of the rest of the board (Before blowing up before doing anything useful, due to shiny new model syndrome) its worth it....

Norminator
29-12-2006, 13:52
What's the Thunderhawk like? I've never seen anything more than a few pictures on the Forgeworld website.

UrbanKnight
29-12-2006, 14:03
Heavy. like close to i would say 9 pounds... I'm still building on it actually. the one thing about those models and the expense levels of them is just another reason for you to take a lot of time on them.. but its gorgeous, everything is details and the details have details Example: like a machine piston has a complex engraving of the adeptus mechanicus symbol..... on a frickin piston. covered up.... there is almost too much detail to appreciate.

Captain Micha
29-12-2006, 14:33
I'm sorry all the stories of people with warped fw pieces makes me angry. my uncle makes radio controled planes (race planes not these joke model planes you buy. he actually makes them from carbon fibre or fiberglass depending on the customer's wants) and his don't have these issues.

and the sad thing is given how much he charges (think manta prices) its still a steal but there are zero quality issues.

he's just one guy in a basement... fw has a team of people. For the money we are paying for things that don't actually fly. (indeed without their rules little more than an overpriced paperweight) there should be -no- issues what-so-ever

just my two cents

UrbanKnight
29-12-2006, 15:06
well I agree with that, the QC is not the best. not for the extravagant prices and the fact I called over there to try to figure out a flying base for the thunderhawk and they pretty much offered me like no good suggestions at all..

however there is something to be said for having an under 200 series model..
(shrug) I guess its just geeky status symbolism or something i dunno...

Nebuchadnezzar
29-12-2006, 16:10
no as i read through it seems to me as if the smaller modell parts have biger quality issues than the lager pices

bertcom1
29-12-2006, 16:44
Hello,

I have 4 Forgeworld Rhino-based models. A Repressor, Immolator and Exorcist for my SoB, and a Vindicator.

They are not flawless. The parts that are supposed to fit over or replace the standard Rhino parts are often not quite the right size, and require a bit of filing down to fit or filling in holes and gaps. Often parts that are supposed to fit in or on other resin bits aren't a great fit either.

The Exorcist Launcher is a very loose fit in the Rhino turret ring. I would have preferred it a bit tighter.

Strange things happen. For example, the resin top of my Vindicator shrank slightly after I painted it, making the plastic parts slightly curved. To get it flat and square again took a bit of work and bracing the insides.

I also don't like the sound that resin makes when you run a brush over it.

Despite all this, I like the look of the models, they are very nice looking and detailed.

Overall, I am quite pleased with the models I got.

Takitron
29-12-2006, 17:05
I do not own any FW stuff, nor do I plan to.

There are numerous things that put me off.

Firstly is the fact that they're not inclided in the codex of my "x" army and you need an IA book to use most of them. That means more cash and well honestly, it's too much effort.

Secondly, it's expensive. Normal GW stuff burns a hole in your pocket like a knife through butter, while this stuff is like thermite through paper! I just on't want to spend that much money...

Thirdly, the fact that it's resin puts me off. I have no idea what the stuff is but the general fact that it's not metal or plastic is...Unappealing.

The fourth and final things is that there is an aurora around FW stuff. If I aquired some, I would cherish it and be very protective, as well as making it my best model. But, it needs a good paint job and I don't feel I have the skills to make a FW model look good and make it up to the standard expected...

No, they're out of it for me.

I just cant stand by and let someone be willfully ignorant. You can get most of the rules for most of the stuff you would want to use in the IA update 2Kx, which isnt that expesive (and doesnt change much, if I recall correctly) so that argument is only half valid.

secondly, its more expensive than GW stuff. You are right. most of the big tanks or super heavies are very expensive. But the Rhino doors, brass etch, dred arms, ..., are very affordable for what you get. Customization. I own a FW Ven.Dred with FW arms. It is amazing looking and stands out from all the standard Dreds out there. If you order with more than one person, you can usually get free shipping (which is what my club does) If you dont want to spend the money, thats fine. Just rememeber you play Warhammer.

Yes, its resin. The resin they use is a form of plastic, just harder. The resin holds much more detail than metal or plastic, so models tend to be better looking and more ... detailed :) So now you know what it is. This (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/fw_faq.htm) is a faq on forgeworlds website, and This (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resinmodels.htm) is their "how to work with resin" faq.

the only air around FW stuff is what you already said. Its expensive. the more you practice painting, the better you will become over time. read the painting support section and try new techniques. it doesnt NEED a good paint job any less than your basic troop NEEDS a good paint job. its just a peice of resin.

You could even start out light, like me and icon packs. (god I love the icon packs... did you know that the purity seal for Crimson Cists has a FIST in the wax part, instead of a dot? thats AWESOME) Or the terminator pads if you play a codex chapter.

I hope I educated you even a little bit.

Vaktathi
29-12-2006, 18:46
I ordered 4 squads of Death Korps grenadiers from FW recently. As I've been assembling them, I've noticed that alot of the time, the Hellgun cables are slightly too short, or dont bend the right way exactly and end up looking awkward without alot of work. Also, on EVERY one of the Grenadiers that is supposed to have the grenade launcher, I've had the front part of the foot break off when seperating it from the sprue. Also, the Sprue often extends all the way up the contact for the arms, necessitating cutting it off before you can affix the arm, and in doing so its very easy to cut away excess material from the shoulder armor or the arm itself by accident. The Arms themselves also don't seem to fit exactly 100% correctly much of the time, but generally well enough to look fine. There were also incredible amounts of Flash on the models that required a good deal of time to remove. And also on some of the coats for the grenadiers, the Resin was so thin as to be transparent or actually have a hole. Also, many parts tended to simply fall off the sprues in shipping, and the bags have holes in them =/ (could never find a backpack for the Grenadier sergeant, it broke of the sprue somehow before it got to me and I could never find it in the bag or the shipping box)

Overall however, once I started getting them assembled, they were truly incredible, and I'm glad I went with them.

Grand Master Raziel
29-12-2006, 18:47
I own or have owned a number of FW products over the years. My first FW buy was actually Battlefleet Gothic products - Space Marine escorts, to be precise. Those were nice minis, but it seems they didn't all come cleanly out of the molds, as some of them had obscured, covered, or missing details. I've since sold my SM fleet on eBay.

More recently, I bought a number of Space Marine products from FW. I got a couple of Razorback turrets for a VDR-inspired project. This eventually morphed into my Mk III Rhino. Here's a link to a photo of the unpainted conversion, if you're interested.
http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=44333415/PictureID=2814169819/a=3767642_3767642/t_=3767642

Anyway, I still have the 'back turrets, which are (IMO) much nicer looking than the ones provided for the current Razorback models. They don't seem to go together quite as neatly as they should, though.

The Land Speeder Tempest is an absolutely gorgeous model. However, the wingtip probes are phenomenally easy to snap off. I had one come off while I was still assembling the thing, and the other came off in the carrying case. Still, I'll probably get a couple more, just so I can field 3.

The Land Raider Prometheus is a pretty cool conversion kit, too. The heavy bolter sponsons went together just fine, but the conversion plates for the Land Raider hull didn't fit together entirely as they were supposed to. I wound up shaving them down quite a bit and filling in a bit of a gap with green stuff.

The item I've been happiest with is my Siege Dreadnought. The kit consists of a couple of arms to add to the standard dreadnought. The inferno cannon and siege drill are awesome bits of kit. However, they don't fit on quite as nicely as the regular GW dreadnought arms. I wound up using magnets to put mine on so I wouldn't have to glue them permanently in place.

Bregalad
29-12-2006, 18:48
Concerning the Wave Serpent conversion Kits: All said before in this thread is wrong, sorry.

FW knows that GW has a Serpent kit right now and offers a conversion for the GW SERPENT KIT! So apart from the chosen turret (that now can be ordered singly), you get all those small parts for adorning the front hull plus the weapon to insert between the wings (looks superior to the GW design). But you do not get the hull extension for converting a falcon into a serpent (I just got the kit, believe me).

Concerning FW in general:
Books are expensive but worth the money for people loving background infos, esp. IA3 and IA4.
Many FW models are expensive and not so effective ingame (cost too many points). So these are for modellers, collectors and rich people.

Some FW models, mostly newer ones, are affordable, esp. for Tau and Tyranids. Esp. Tau Crisis Suits plus Broadsides are way better that GW ones. I use them "count as" normal ones and do not use any GW Crisis Suits or Broadsides. Only GW's new Stealth Suits match in design quality.
I also love all Kroot stuff from FW, fine details and fantastic design. Will field them some time, although they are not so competitive.

Keep in mind that assembly and painting is for the experienced modeller.

BloodiedSword
29-12-2006, 19:51
I've always wondered about the Mk IVc Predators - what exactly is different about them? And do they come in Annihilator and Destructor formats or Annihilator only?

Rich 123
29-12-2006, 20:09
The FW predator is only an Annihilator variant - remember FW is a source of minis aimed mainly at a serious modeller, if you want a Destructor that bad it isn't a major conversion to alter it with the plastic components. The FW Predator has far sturdier sponsons, not just flimsy little rods. I much prefer this version and, after my marines are done, I want to bolster them with a Prometheus and, later one of the Predators. Another detail to note about this mkIVC Predator is that the turret cupola is in such a position that a fully armoured marine can actually fit through the turret. Technically a standard predator turret would require a contortionist of a marine to navigate around the turret ring and up through the cupola. The FW one just looks like a nice and chunky - just as a Marine main battle tank should in my opinion. I can't comment on the rules though.

I am tempted by many, many tasty bits from FW. I have a Vindicator for a my marines which still needs some small bits of painting remaining.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Vehicles/VindicatorGallery.jpg
It needs some extra bits of gold painted to tie it in with my marines as well as a bit more weathering. It only has tiny paint chips painted but could do with more really. I drybrushed it quickly which also lends it a nice weather beaten look but could also do with another gentle very light drybrush of khaki over it too to aid the weather beaten looks. It also needs some more freehand here and there as well - some purity seals as well!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/richard_milson/Vehicles/CommanderWIP.jpg
I also converted a more interesting tank commander for it but he isn't even undercoated and the cupola only has the greens painted on it. This was just to make the mini a bit more special.

FW are lovely, period. Yeah, resin warps alot in the mould and often needs reshaping but such is the draw back with larger pieces of resin. The Vinidcator's top plate needed a good deal of bending to make level and sit correctly on the Rhino hull. This is just a consideration to bear in mind when buying FW. The extra armour is a tricky thing as they use large thin pieces of resin, hardly conducive to perfect casting. I also don't see the problem with drilling through the underside of FW flyers. If you can build one all you need to be is competent with your tools and plan the best way to support it. When you are building it then include a block to locate your flyer's stand into the hull securely! Fore-thought is vital with a FW mini. Their books are brilliant for a lover of background though - they should dictate what GW do with future book releases in my honest opinion, pricey as they may be.

When I recently went into a GW to find out about getting a practice game in before Carnage (I haven't played 40k much, I am a modeller more than anything so need some practice - first time even in a GW in years!) I was going over my army list. At the mention of the Vindicator they were surprised and almost in awe I was using a FW Vindicator. Awww, bless I thought :)

Have fun with all your overpriced FW tastiness!
Dicky

Norminator
29-12-2006, 23:02
Oh dear, I appear to have misplaced (read: thrown away as rubbish) the markerlight from my networked markerlight turret. Do you think it could still look fairly good if I rigged up some target locks as a conversion?

ankhnuhotep
29-12-2006, 23:53
I have ordered a lot of models from Forgeworld and have had many bad experiences with them. My Rhino armor didn't even come close to fitting, and an Orc squiggoth came with a 3 inch sunken hole in it's belly(that they refused to replace). But I just had to have one of their new Greater Unclean Ones. I got it in the mail and the casting itself was perfect, but the sword didn't line up to where it was supposed to be so I had to grind and pin and putty the hell out of it. The model is awesome looking but I forked out $180 for it and for that kind of cash it should come ready to go. I don't mind a little work but the pieces should at least fit together.
The strange thing is is that resin isn't that difficult to cast. I have cast a lot of my models and it's relatively cheap. But of course I would never cast a piece from Forgeworld and run off copies. Nope, I would never do a thing like that.;)

-Tony

ekister101
29-12-2006, 23:54
I have 2 exorcists, a repressor and some icons from FW that are awesome. Sure they took some work, especially the repressor as the top didn't fit quite right on the thino chasse, but they are awesome when done and painted.

I have also purchased a tau baracuda that looked impressive and I have friends with many FW models. They are just so detailed and they feel so solid that they blow any similar GW piece away.

I am getting ready to order over $750 US worth of Death Korps and I am really exited to see them. I expect them to be difficult to assemble, but I have my hot water, sand paper and new exacto blades ready!!! :)

Norminator
29-12-2006, 23:56
Just wondering what the general consensus is, do other people use hairdryers to soften resin and bend it? It just seems easier, more effective and more comfortable than sticking your hands into a bowl of hot water.

Vaktathi
30-12-2006, 00:58
I am getting ready to order over $750 US worth of Death Korps and I am really exited to see them. I expect them to be difficult to assemble, but I have my hot water, sand paper and new exacto blades ready!!! :)

You are going to need them, I know I did.

When finished they are excellent, but dear god are they a pain in the @$$ to get together.

Drakin
30-12-2006, 01:50
I was thinking of getting some of the Elysian models to use as Stromtroopers but I haven't seen anybody with them, so does anybody have any and if so are they hard to put together?

Still learning
30-12-2006, 02:29
the elysians are quite easy to put together. The main problem i found with them is the mould lines. They are really hard to trim becasue the pants and such have alot of folds in them. The Elysians i got are by far my favorite models to assemble so far. My Death Korps took quite abit of work for the squad i'm painting now. However The advacing squad i receieved and that is yet to be assembled look really clean and crisp.

MasterModakai
30-12-2006, 05:19
FW has many great pieces, all very detailed. As the material they use is not metal nor standard model plastics, the methods required to work with it differ. You need to be prepared to file, pin, fill and fabricate when working with resin.

Many of the nitpicks people have with FW pieces, such as pieces not fitting tightly (turrets), being too small (armor), and not aligning (flamer houses), are standard issues that are inherent with any resin kit. Resin is pour as mixed liquid that generates heats and hardens. During this process, the resin shrinks. The amount of shrinkage varies between resin mix ratio, temperature and fillers.

These issues are easilly dealt with. With a little patience, modeling putty, plasticard and hot water, most of the issues with the resin pieces can be fixed. For to bent pieces that are really stubborn, you may need to pust out the hair dryer to heat it up and bend it back into shape.

The biggest issue one really needs to deal with are pieces pulled from molds that breaking down. The resin pieces are cast using rubber molds. They only last so long, the resin is very harsh on the molds.

As fair as pieces with obliterated detail, that are really bad or missing, Forgeworld is normally pretty good about replacing the piece or kit.

To date, my gaming group and I have ordered well over 2000 of FW products over the last 5 months or so. To date, we have had the following problems:

Received reinforced Land Raider armoe when spaced armor ordered - FW sent correct item, no charge or return required.
Missing torso from Cadian upgrade set - FW sent new torso.
Warped Hellhound tank - FW replaced tank.
Warped Chimera rear door - Used hair dryer on high for 45 seconds, warp removed.
Bolts on inner section of Baneblade track were none existant due to mold deteriation - FW replaced tracks.
Epic Thunderbolts missing wings - Resolution pending due to FW holiday hours.
Ultramrine Land Raider doors warped - Hot water used to remove warp.

Of these, the mispacked armor and Thunderbolt wings are true QC issues. The missing torso, while QC realated, is an easy one to miss. The torso may have broken off while being bagged. The rest are normal issues one has to deal with when dealing with resin products.

Yes the price is high and there should be less issues with the products, but everyone needs to realize that FW is making mass amounts of these resin pieces. Issues that may be non existant from other modeling companies or Garage Kit manufactures crop up with FW due to the number of pieces made. Kits from other companies are typically limited run items. Therefore, less defects occur in the released products. Note that even these kits suffer from horrendous mold lines, warpage and air bubbles.

As it has been stated before, these kits are intended for experiened modellers who have the experience and willingness to take the time necessary to clean, fit and repair the kits.

After that verbose "rant", I am proud to be the owner of many FW kits, to many to list here in fact. My favorite to date is the Pre-Herey Land Raider kit. I can't wait to bust out my airbrush and start painting it.

Takitron
30-12-2006, 05:34
Just wondering what the general consensus is, do other people use hairdryers to soften resin and bend it? It just seems easier, more effective and more comfortable than sticking your hands into a bowl of hot water.

seeing as I'm impatient and work in kitchens, I submerged them in running very hot water (washing dishes and cooking in high heat will toughen your hands up quite a bit) also, my wife's hairdryer exploded in my hand when I was heating a piece of resin once, and we haven't replaced it ;)

Mr Zephy
30-12-2006, 10:32
Has anyone here bought an Armageddon pattern basilisk? I was thinking of getting one but from what I've heard about wonky resin, a model that relies on its crisp edges might suffer.

Scythe
30-12-2006, 11:32

Yes, works a lot better for me. I never seemed to be able to bend anything using hot water.

Thylacine
30-12-2006, 12:59
A friend of mine was ordering some FW items for Xmas and asked me if I wanted to add anything to the order (we live in OZ), so after looking at a few FW items down here I said yes and ordered the Titan crew and Tech-priest as a Christmas present for my son. He loved the models but they were a tad small and the Tech-priest is rather delicate looking. I also ordered a MK2B PRE-HERESY STYLE LAND RAIDER for my sons birthday, when the kit arrived I took out all the resin and checked the parts off, it was a good thing I did this, as one of the las canons was missing, plus a small connector. These are on the way and should arrive before his birthday, fingers crossed.

On trial fitting I found that one of the side sponsons on the MK2B is smaller than the other and after cleaning up will require some filling when it is placed on the model. Also there were no instructions with the kit, when putting it together you are left to your own devices. Now I have a local GW that I can go to but my mate lives at Mt Isa and it is way up the bush, if he has troubles with his Pylon, he has no one to turn to.

I saw a friends BANEBLADE SUPER HEAVY BATTLE TANK and while it is a big improvement over the old Armorcast kits, it was a very poor casting and needed a lot of filing and filling with greenstuff, it was a very expensive buy and I thought that for the price they charge FW could weed out the models that were a poor casting and sell only those that passed inspection. Apparently not!

I know a guy that purchased three Drop Pods and when they arrived saw how shoddy they were (air bubbles and warpage) that he promptly sold them at a loss and has no intention of ever buying from FW again. So overall my impression of FW items it a bit hit and miss, they need to tighten up their quality control. As for their books, being a library technician by trade I can tell you that they are way overpriced for what they are, there are lots of lovely 'coffee-table' books out there that sell for far less!

Thylacine:chrome:

Killgore
30-12-2006, 13:59
the way i see forgeworld is that its a added bonus to us gw fans, I'm sure many of you might have lost interest with 40k if it wasnt for our FW goodies

I myself own a fw BaneBlade and know first hand how delicate resin can be, I also own a Khorne Chaos pillar with a giant skull on top and the detail is amazing

I also had a pre-ordered IA3 Taros book, and the price i paid for it didnt prepare me for all the gramor and spelling issues, fw could have at least given us a small freebie as a sorry

Kymmerus
30-12-2006, 14:58
Forgeworld Count:

Ramilies Star Fort
Ork Bomma
Ork Grot Bombs
Ork Glyph Plates
Tyranid Trygon
Fantasy Watch Tower
Fantasy Stables
Fantasy Blacksmith

Haven't been playing fantasy for a while so all the buildings are unbuilt, but from looking them over they're exactly what I expected, nice detail, excellent build no warpage or excessive flash issues (some of the thatched roof pieces may need some minor hot water treatment but thats not really much of a detractor in my books) Maybe I'll assemble them for a medieval styled 40K terrain table :p

I've seen a fair bit of the BFG stuff in active usage, a friend has plenty BFG space marine cruisers, they all have excellent detail and little to no flash etc.
The ramilies starfort was a bit of a pain to assemble, large block pieces that need to fit together reasonably precisely... bit of a bad scene with a few gaps etc. but all in all a highly detailed kit (was my first in dealing with forgeworld stuff)

Haven't assembled the ork stuff yet, but again inspection and test fitting shows it to be of high quality, shouldn't be any issues with the bomma...

The Trygon is something that I have assembled and think is a damned fine kit! I magnetically held his head, upper body, and arms together for easy disassembly and transport... other than chipping and nipping away at a bit of excess resin and a few issues with needing to remove excess resin to fit his spines it was a rather painless process and its one helluva detailed Niddie beastie.. have pressed it into service unpainted for a few games and it performs quite well and is hella cool in my books at any rate... overall can't say too much bad in regards to forgeworld stuff... main comments would be:

1) Resin can be a serious pain to work with
2) Resin can give some seriously nice detail
3) This stuff is all about gamer geek bling :D

Rich 123
30-12-2006, 15:24
Hmm, those WFB buildings could work really well on a feral agri-world board maybe?

Could be something really interesting and different. I have always liked the idea of agri-worlds, an entire world turned over to food production. It could be interesting to see this. Crudely built buildings like that and other scenery pieces of crude motorised farming equipment. Maybe ?

Dicky