PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions about Orcs and Goblins...

macbeth
29-12-2006, 10:49
I've just fought a battle against Bretonia, and I have faced two problems which I seem not able to solve.

1) First turn of the battle. My Night Goblins fail their animosity test by a 6. Problem, they are just (1 or 2 inches) behind my unit of spider riders. In the book, they say that if a unit that rolls a 6 meets an ennemy unit, they are in HtH, but when it is a friendly unit, what happens?

2)My Orc shaman on Wyvern fights against a Bretonian lord on Hyppogriph. The shaman wears the protecting amulet (the one that gives you the save of your opponent).
So, he gets the save of the Bretonian lord, no problem. But against the attacks of the hyppogryph, what happens? Does he keep the save of the lord, or does he have no save at all?

Da GoBBo
29-12-2006, 11:39
1) I'd say the unit stops. You wouldn't attack yer own unit since that's not stated in the rules and ye can't move through yer own units. Take a normal charge: I you declare a charge, and would happen to encounter scenery or a unit of your own, you fail your charge.

2) The lord and the Hypogriff have different saves and the amulet says you get the save of the one inflicting the damage. So yes, when the Hypogriff strikes you, you wouldn't get a save (if I understand correctly that he doesn't have a save himself).

Festus
29-12-2006, 14:07
Hi

2) It is the *model's* save that you get... ;)

Festus

macbeth
29-12-2006, 14:22
Yeah, but that's the problem: technically, there is only one model, but it has two different armour saves, depending on which part is hit...

Da Gobbo, we agreed on your solutions, by the way...

EvC
29-12-2006, 15:29
Latest FAQ indicates that when you're dealing with a multiple-part-model and need one value, you take the best. So yes indeed I would say you get the Lord's save!

Kotobuki
29-12-2006, 16:48
Except that a Character Mounted on a Monster Mount has seperate save characteristics for the seperate parts of the model. Said parts can also be injured and removed independantly of each other. If your Shaman was attacked by the Hippogryph, he would be required to use the Hippogryph's save. Normally, that would be none. Unless the Character riding it has the Blessing of the lady, in which case said save is passed on to the Hippogryph, so you'd get the ward save.

EvC, then would you have a problem with my Mounted Character/Monster Mount both using the Highest I, WS, S, and A characteristics to fight against you?
The FAQ specifically covers Characteristic Tests, nothing else.

EvC
29-12-2006, 17:49
Characteristic tests are not the only thing passed on to a mount, I think you'll find, also immune to psychology, some ward saves (like you say) and other special rules. It really depends on the wording of the magic item, but you're probably right. No need for the insulting analogy, thanks ;)

greenskin
29-12-2006, 18:07
1) First turn of the battle. My Night Goblins fail their animosity test by a 6. Problem, they are just (1 or 2 inches) behind my unit of spider riders. In the book, they say that if a unit that rolls a 6 meets an ennemy unit, they are in HtH, but when it is a friendly unit, what happens?They stop when they reach the Spider Riders.

2)My Orc shaman on Wyvern fights against a Bretonian lord on Hyppogriph. The shaman wears the protecting amulet (the one that gives you the save of your opponent).
So, he gets the save of the Bretonian lord, no problem. But against the attacks of the hyppogryph, what happens? Does he keep the save of the lord, or does he have no save at all?Your Orc Shaman uses the save of the Hyppogryph.

EDIT: Funny. I just quoted Macbeth on a Warhammer forum. :)

bram kuijpers
29-12-2006, 19:54
i thougt a orc shaman could not ride on a wyvern

EvC
29-12-2006, 20:06
They could, then they couldn't, now they can again :)

Falkman
29-12-2006, 20:22
Or, to be more specific, great shamans can, normal shamans can't.

macbeth
30-12-2006, 09:49
I forgot the blessing! Where was I I forgot the blessing! Maybe my shaman would still be alive...

Thanks anyway...