PDA

View Full Version : Ordo Malleus Iconography?

colrouphobic
29-12-2006, 12:14
Im wondering if anyone know if the different Inquisitorial fractions have any specific Iconography appart from the "I". I know the Grey Knights use the book with a sword through, but what about the Ordo Malleus?
I have tried my best to locate any and all iconogrphy but found nothing.

Please help. Need it for a personal project.

Sabbad
29-12-2006, 16:34
"Ordo Malleus" is High Gothic for "Order of the Hammer."

So I'd guess that hammers feature quite a lot in their iconography...

Norminator
29-12-2006, 16:40
I'd second the Hammers, that seems to me to be the most likely symbol. Also general smiting related things, so Daemons getting purged and the like.

Phyros
29-12-2006, 16:52
Aren't Grey Knights by default members of Ordo Malleus anyway?

Onisuzume
29-12-2006, 20:18
Aren't Grey Knights by default members of Ordo Malleus anyway?
I don't thinik they are; they're just space marines who are permanently attached to the Ordo Malleus as the Chamber Militant.
Kinda like the Ordo Hereticus and the Sisters of Battle.

Brother Othorio
29-12-2006, 22:59
Oniduzume is pretty much spot on, tho current fluff is that "the Grey Knights Chapter Master is usually a member of the Inner Conclave of the Inquisition" this however is rather vague and has lead to many greatly heated debates over whether it means the marine in charge of the chapter is usually appointed to the Inner Conclave, or whether it means the original fluff from Realms of Chaos about the Chapter Master usually being an Inquisitor rather than a Grey Knight is still in effect (in either case the statement would be true)

(that said, unless the fluff has been changed by the Witch hunters codex the Sisters of Battle actually arent a Chamber Militant of the Ordo Hereticus, they are the Chamber Militant of the Ecclesiarchy ~ however because the SoB have no problem cleaning their own house they frequently get called in to do so by the OH, but then i suppose that could have changed: in RT the Grey Knights were likewise not a true Chamber Militant)

personally i've always favoured the Rogue Trader era symbol for the Ordo Malleus: a standard aquila ~ except that its holding an axe in one hand and a rod in the other

slasher
29-12-2006, 23:10
The Grey Knights...the chamber militant of the Ordos Malleus, pg 6 C:DH
The Sisters of Battle... aside from their role as Chamber Militant of the Ordos Hereticus, pg 10 C:WH

As for iconograhpy of the OM the only thing i can see in the codex about it is the small story on pg 22 where the Inquistor says that his hammer is a symbol of his order and the Emporer.

Minister
29-12-2006, 23:34
The Sororitas' legal position within the Imperium is an interesting one, worthy of a thread in the background section if anyone's interested enough to start one, but to the point: The Grey Knights are the Chamber Militant of the Ordo Maleus, however the sword and tome icon belongs specificaly to the chapter, not to the order as a whole.

mistformsquirrel
30-12-2006, 03:28
Also - on the subject of Grey Knights - while they ARE the Chamber Militant of the Ordo Malleus - the Ordo Malleus still can't order them around. It's right in the Daemonhunter's codex, but it mentions specifically "When a situation crops up, an inquisitor requests assistants from the Grey Knights" - though it also sounds very rare that they'd deny that help (probably only denied to radical Inquisitors and the like).

Astador
30-12-2006, 06:27
I believe Ordo Malleus is the =][= with the skull in the middle, never known any others. I know the Witch Hunters have different logos due to the different sects of the Sister of Battle, but I believe the Ordo Malleus is united under one logo.

Minister
30-12-2006, 15:20
The Inquisiotrial =][= with skull (and often surounder by a laurel wreath) is thesymbol of the Inquisition as a whole.

slasher
30-12-2006, 15:31
The Inquisiotrial =][= with skull (and often surounder by a laurel wreath) is thesymbol of the Inquisition as a whole.

As shown by the fact that its on the GW exocist :p and most of the ][ models.

t-tauri
30-12-2006, 15:49
I'm not aware of any different insignia for the different Inquisition Ordos. They're rare enough in the background that most people in the Imperium would only recognise the =I= and no different logos are needed. Most of the general populace are probably unaware of the existence of different Ordos.

Hobgoblyn
30-12-2006, 19:32
probably only denied to radical Inquisitors and the like.

The Gray Knights are Space Marines and furthermore those furthest alienated from humanity. I am sure they are fine with going on purges with radical inquisitors. If they ever turn someone down it is likely because the report they get indicate such a small and meaningless chaos force that their response would be 'You need a Space Marine for that?... No... there are more dangerous threats we need to remain alert of.'

Brotherdraagor
30-12-2006, 20:34
Actually Grey Knights are very likely to turn down a request from a radical Inquisitor, they're about as puritan as you can get within the forces of the Inquisition (even if they're only the Chamber Militant). However you're right about them turning down pointless requests, Grey Knights are the second to last resort before Exterminatus, and so will really only be called in when there's a Daemonic incursion or the potential for a great one (ala Grey Knights novels). Ordinary Space Marines, with exception to some of the more unorthadox elements, will be pretty much the same, turning down less cases than Grey Knights, but not being involved at all in some of the more dangerous ones unless the situation is dire.

Prophaniti
30-12-2006, 21:43
The odd thing about the ordos is that they aren't official divisions of the inquisition. They are more like groups of like minded inquisitors that other inquisitors end up joining to further their own ends. As such the ordo malleus (or any other ordo) won't have any 'official symbol'. They may have a number of designs so that members can recognise each other though.

Alessander
31-12-2006, 02:45
Ordo Malleus is the Inquisitorial "I" with a daemon skull in the middle. Your guess is as good as mine what a daemon skull is.

Onisuzume
01-01-2007, 17:49
Ordo Malleus is the Inquisitorial "I" with a daemon skull in the middle. Your guess is as good as mine what a daemon skull is.
How does a horned one sound?
But then again; there's plenty of mutants with horns, as well as aliens with horns... Putting one back to square one.

Mr_Smiley
02-01-2007, 00:28
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/inqetch.htm Forgeworld has some etched brass Inquisition logos.