PDA

View Full Version : Starting First Fantasy Army -Brett's

Reflex
29-12-2006, 12:29
i want to start my first real fantasy army. now i have always like bretonnians because of there history.

but a few threads later, is it a good idea to go with bretts as my first army? i already know the inner workings of the army book and so on.

so my only question is, is it a good idea or a bad one?

i am just looking for some confidence before i get stuck into it.

Krankenstein
29-12-2006, 12:46
Bretonnians are a good beginners army because they are easy to use. Because their knights are fast, you can dictate the game to a large extent. The figs are undercosted points wise and the core knights are super, so army composition isnít too hard.

Most important, though, is picking an army you really want to buy, paint and play with.

DeathlessDraich
29-12-2006, 14:12
Definitely a good choice to start Fantasy. It's well balanced, themed, strong in all phases (although magic is weaker now) and tactically not too demanding.
Get stuck in!:D

Corrupt
29-12-2006, 17:23
Aye they are a good starter army
Very reliable, you know what to expect.
Core troops are excellet.
1000pts armies can consist of less that 30 models so very easy on the pocket
AND everyone loves an army of redesplendant knights ready to charge heroically into the undead horde and vanquish the evil foes.

paspinall
29-12-2006, 20:50
Sorry to butt in here... but this thread bugs me a little, a while back when I was considering the Brets everyone was councelling me to NOT get them, why because when people take them in to a store they rekon people dont like playing against them, unless of course you have barely any Knights but then isnt it basically an Empire army without cannons :D

Heretic Burner
29-12-2006, 21:25
Wanting to start an army based on their "history" seems a bit odd to me. What history? The background fluff on the army? And since you mentioned you've 'always' liked Brets, what Bret history are you talking about? The current lighter version or the more sinister version of the past?

In any case since you talk about needing confidence before getting stuck into an army I would suggest you go for no army. It's a game. It's a hobby. It's something that should provide amusement and not be a chore. You shouldn't need confidence you should be eager to enjoy.

Truly it doesn't look like this is the right army for you at all.

Reflex
30-12-2006, 02:48
Wanting to start an army based on their "history" seems a bit odd to me. What history? The background fluff on the army? And since you mentioned you've 'always' liked Brets, what Bret history are you talking about? The current lighter version or the more sinister version of the past?

i like both the old and the new. i like that they devote them selves to the king and the lady of the lake and so on. what i also like (as a lighter note) is that when the army wins, its all about the knights, they pulled them through and saved the day, but if they lose, its all the peasants fault... those damn peasants didnt fight well enough to defend bretonnia.

In any case since you talk about needing confidence before getting stuck into an army I would suggest you go for no army. It's a game. It's a hobby. It's something that should provide amusement and not be a chore. You shouldn't need confidence you should be eager to enjoy.

Truly it doesn't look like this is the right army for you at all.

i would think you would need confidence in anyarmy. the reasy why i "need" it is because i have been told that brets are cheesy and alot of the time people refuse to play bret armies for that reason. so what would be the point of playing an army that is no fun to play with or against?

so if this is not the army for me, then what is?

NightLord
30-12-2006, 04:24
I think it is the army for you. Alot of people just like to be jerks about brets. The best advice I can give is do what you want to and enjoy the outcome no matter what one or two people may say to deswayde you. I to am starting fantasy (restarting it that is) and I know that every army can be fun but it is mostly personal prefrence. So if you prefer brets play them.

Krankenstein
30-12-2006, 12:46
i would think you would need confidence in anyarmy. the reasy why i "need" it is because i have been told that brets are cheesy and alot of the time people refuse to play bret armies for that reason. so what would be the point of playing an army that is no fun to play with or against?

A minority will always try to engage and defeat you in "Whinehammer". Playing another army will not change this fact.

heretics bane
30-12-2006, 16:22
i started bretts a while back there ok althought i made the mistake of glue the pegasus knigh to his plastic rod thing and there now a pain to transport although i love the bowmen and mem-at-arms great fun to paint and its a pretty good starter armie aswell

Reflex
30-12-2006, 22:13
A minority will always try to engage and defeat you in "Whinehammer". Playing another army will not change this fact.

whinehammmer... HAH! Classic...

well i guess i'll have fun building my bret army... i was thinking flying circus army.... (just kidding :p ) :D

Heretic Burner
31-12-2006, 18:19
i would think you would need confidence in anyarmy. the reasy why i "need" it is because i have been told that brets are cheesy and alot of the time people refuse to play bret armies for that reason. so what would be the point of playing an army that is no fun to play with or against??

Well one point being Brets are ideal for WAAC players.

Yup, many people do refuse to play Brets, particularly all cavalry lists and especially pegasus knight heavy lists. And why not? Neither army is particularly fun to play against for most players and why waste your precious time doing so?

so if this is not the army for me, then what is?

I have no idea. The army that doesn't require any confidence would be my pick. It's fine to ask the strengths and weaknesses of an army to make an informed decision. Equally fine to ask how an army plays (ie is it predominantly a shooty army, an in your face melee army, how reliable, etc).

As a first army, yes they are ideal. Very strong units. Pretty much the easiest army to use. That said I'm still not sure its your most ideal starting army. Why not just wait until you're sure? Watch a few games with other armies. Hopefully you'll be able to say to yourself "I just gotta start those guys!" Then you've probably found the right army for you.

Reflex
31-12-2006, 23:05
well i have a small (750 point) empire army (ebay). i bought this so i could learn fantasy, but idont like empire.
thats what i meant by first real army. But even befdore i ad this empire army i liked brets, and most of all i like peasants, bowmen especially (mainly the models).

so i dont think i would max out on knights and such as i cant really understand that. (fluff reasons).

Tiluca
01-01-2007, 04:20
I say go for it. Very fun to play also i remember hearing that there battalion box gives you a huge number of points compared to alot of others. I hope you enjoy them if you do go them !

druchii
01-01-2007, 09:28
Well one point being Brets are ideal for WAAC players.

Yup, many people do refuse to play Brets, particularly all cavalry lists and especially pegasus knight heavy lists. And why not? Neither army is particularly fun to play against for most players and why waste your precious time doing so?

I have no idea. The army that doesn't require any confidence would be my pick. It's fine to ask the strengths and weaknesses of an army to make an informed decision. Equally fine to ask how an army plays (ie is it predominantly a shooty army, an in your face melee army, how reliable, etc).

As a first army, yes they are ideal. Very strong units. Pretty much the easiest army to use. That said I'm still not sure its your most ideal starting army. Why not just wait until you're sure? Watch a few games with other armies. Hopefully you'll be able to say to yourself "I just gotta start those guys!" Then you've probably found the right army for you.

This is where you have to be careful. Brets are the sort of army that really makes an army's weaknesses glare.

If your opponent doesn't know the first thing about baiting and fleeing, they'll complain.

If your opponent relies on a few, large, over-pointed units to win, they say Brets aren't tactically challenging.

If your opponent doesn't know his game, or how to react to units getting right up in his face, he'll tell you how cheap your knights are, and how they need to be 5-10 points more expensive.

An opponent that knows how to exploit the glaring weaknesses of the army (the inability to feasibly charge into cover, HUGE flanks, weak-ish combat res(still less than the average ranked unit) after they get stuck in, the over-reliance on heavy hitting cavalry and the expensive and rather pathetic magic phase, you're in for a game.

Brets are NOT an army you can take your B game against. They, like BoC, WE, and a few others require finnesse and tact to play(well).

Eventually people will learn to play, and quit whining.
Untill then, enjoy the lancing!

d