PDA

View Full Version : Daemonic Legion, what works what doesn't

Ouroboros
29-12-2006, 12:36
Ok so since the 40k seems to have all but dried up in my area and there's apparently a fairly healthy fantasy community still around I figure I'll take another shot getting into fantasy.

I'm going to do it with a daemonic legion list from storm of chaos mainly because I've got a whole load of daemonettes I bought years ago waiting to hit the table.

Being this as it is I'm looking for some advice on how to make Daemonic legion of a slaaneshi slant work right. Looking over the list it seems really limited. It looks like I'm going to get bent over and violated in the magic phase and I don't really have any options for shooting to speak of. My unit variety and options also pretty much sucks ass any everything is very expensive in points.

I need list advice for a typical 1500-2000 range game.

My first impressions are to go with a list heavy on pleasureseekers backed up by a chariot and Exhaulted Daemon as the fast element. Hopefully that'll get me into combat fast enough and allow me to kill off some of the spellcasters who are looking so bothersome. Then I can just march up with say 2-3 main blocks of daemonettes.

My 40k experience is extensive and I know fantasy rules to a novice level but my actual fantasy game experience is extremely limited.

Any advice on getting this list to work right would be much appreciated. I don't want cheese but I want to be able to at least make a good account of myself before everything falls apart.:D

kyussinchains
29-12-2006, 13:37
quite often, people will use a daemon prince/exalted daemon, and two heralds, both with spellbreaker.

I'd suggest 2 units of 4 pleasureseekers for fairly heavy hitting power, and plenty of speed, couple that with a couple of units of regular mounted daemonettes for flanking and you've got a nice offensive force, especially when you throw your flying daemonic general in there, and if you can afford it, a chariot or two.

You'll need 2 units of regular daemonettes to include all that, they dont need to be huge, as they're relatively slow compared to your mounted troops, if you stick a herald in each unit they become pretty robust in combat too. Dont forget to take an icon of chaos for one of the daemonette units, to give them a nice 4+ ward save, and the greater icon is worth taking as it makes the army altogether more 'stable'

dont worry too much about spellcasters, with a daemon legion you still get your ward save against all magical elements, obviously they're still good targets, but dont waste too many resources on taking them out.

I would deploy most of the faster units to one side, with the foot daemonettes more centrally, race up the flank with the fast stuff and try to overpower a unit or two, by getting flank charges wherever possible. Then as your foot troops move up, they should be able to charge the next units in the line, while the fast force can engage in the flank, you can then roll up the army in one go!

dont forget to take plenty of spells with your general, as slaanesh magic is very powerful at locking your opponent in place and dictating his movement.

good luck

sulla
29-12-2006, 14:19
I can't rave highly enough about mounted daemonettes. One of the few fast cav units in the game that can actually do something when they get into combat and a 20" charge range... awesome.

DeathlessDraich
29-12-2006, 14:20
Agreed with all the points made by Kyussinchains.
In addition

1) In terms of value for pts, Mounted Daemonettes are marginally more effective than Pleasure Seekers.
2) A chariot or 2 is also worth it.
3) Keeper of Secrets instead of DP is a variation worth considering although this is really a matter of taste and the tactics you wish to employ.

FlylikeaMouse
29-12-2006, 17:09
I too am starting a daemon chaos army (i normally play mortal chaos)
In the hordes of chaos book there is the Exalted Daemon HERO.
I cannot see any model that can be used to represent this character.

Should i use a greater daemon model or something like be'lakor, the dark master??

If neither of those it looks like a conversion job, but what base size do i use?

kyussinchains
29-12-2006, 17:32
you can use any of the daemon prince models (in the classics and collectors section of the hordes of chaos army on the GW website) or convert one, I've got a great one in mind, but dont have the time to do it right now

they also should have wings, and be mounted on a 50x50mm base

Selsaral
29-12-2006, 17:36
Erm aren't exalted daemons on 40mm bases? My understanding is that the same model was intended to be used for daemon princes/exalted daemons.

DirtJumper
29-12-2006, 17:41
Yup, Exalted/Daemon Princes are all on 40mm bases. Only Belkor and the Greater Daemons get the bigger ones.

Negativemoney
29-12-2006, 18:56
For Slaanesh Daemon Legion I use the followin.
At 2k
Prince - MoS, lvl 4, Ether, Splendor, Musk
Exalted - MoS, lvl 2, Hunger, Spelndor

12 Daemonettes - champ, musician
5 Mounted Daemonettes
5 Mounted Daemonettes

3 Pleasureseekers

Chariot of Slaanesh

At 2250 I have been takeing

Keeper of Secrets
Exalted - MoS, lvl 2, Hunger, Spelndor

15 Daemonettes - champ, musician, standard, Uholy Icon
5 Mounted Daemonettes
5 Mounted Daemonettes

3 Pleasureseekers

Chariot of Slaanesh
Chariot of Slaanesh

kyussinchains
29-12-2006, 23:19
Erm aren't exalted daemons on 40mm bases? My understanding is that the same model was intended to be used for daemon princes/exalted daemons.

whoops, yeah, I thought about my be'lakor model for reference

Ouroboros
30-12-2006, 07:57
What's the difference in modeling terms between mounted daemonettes and pleasureseekers?

Are mounted daemonettes on regular horses where as pleasureseekers are the ones you always see on the steeds of Slaanesh?

I've got a bit of mixed feelings over some of the list advice I've gotten, mainly because I've got 42 foot daemonettes I was planning to build my army around and it seems as if mounted is the way to go instead. If I'm really going to be more or less doomed taking a primarily footslogging route I'll probably just abandon the Daemon army and build something else from scratch like mortal Chaos or Tomb Kings(love the models).

In any case I'm having a game tomorrow against another guy with about as much experience as I've got. He's got an ork/goblin army heavy on spider riders and I'm planning on going in with something like this.

Exhaulted daemon, level 2, MoS, Aura of Slaanesh 345(ouch)

Herald, MoS, spellbreaker 165

15 daemonettes, banner, champ 253

12 daemonettes, banner, champ 208

12 daemonettes, banner, champ 208

6 Mounted Daemonettes 180

Chariot of Slaanesh 130

Chariot of Slaanesh 130

Total.............................1979

Not sure where to put that last 20 points.

What do you think?

FlylikeaMouse
30-12-2006, 11:03
Daemonettes can have a command group ??

kyussinchains
30-12-2006, 12:58
Daemonettes can have a command group ??

in a daemon legion, yeah

I think the army looks solid, although it sacrifices a bit of the speed that slaanesh is known for, dont charge the mounted daemonettes into the front of anything ranked, or with loads of armour, unless you're also hitting them in the flank with another unit.

good luck!

FlylikeaMouse
30-12-2006, 13:36
Where are the rules for command groups in daemon legions?
How much do they cost?

..maybe i have an older army book or something. :eyebrows:

kyussinchains
30-12-2006, 13:53
Where are the rules for command groups in daemon legions?
How much do they cost?

..maybe i have an older army book or something. :eyebrows:

the rules are in the storm of chaos book, also available on the US GW website if you look hard enough for the storm of chaos section