PDA

View Full Version : Persuiting form a forest

Akuma
12-07-2005, 08:04
Ok - simple question I'm in a wood and less then 2" from its border so i can see enemy and the other way around - then a unit o knight charges me - i declare flee reaction and flee a very small distance - co the knights with their normal charge distance would catch me but if you count the " thay have to move throught the forest thay wouldn't.

Whitch is correct - thay catch me - thay dont

Another simple question - i fight with a enemy unit and we are both in wood ( inside it ) i lose combat and brake - but i'm skirmisher so i move normaly - 2d6 rolled and of i go - then my opponentn ( ranked unit with no special move throught wood rule ) says that if he persuits - he doesnt suffer movment penltys because he persuits in skirmish formation - is this legal ???

Riddy
12-07-2005, 09:45
In the first example you would survive in the second you would die. Charge movement uses nomal movement, affected by terrain and other such negative (Or positive) modifiers. Flee/pursuit moves are done with disregard for all types of terrain except impassable, meaning the knights would catch you as pursuit moves suffer no minuses for terrain.

Geetarman
12-07-2005, 10:22
I concur. Nuff said :)

Gman

T10
12-07-2005, 11:15
Ok - simple question I'm in a wood and less then 2" from its border so i can see enemy and the other way around - then a unit o knight charges me - i declare flee reaction and flee a very small distance - co the knights with their normal charge distance would catch me but if you count the " thay have to move throught the forest thay wouldn't.

Whitch is correct - thay catch me - thay dont

Another simple question - i fight with a enemy unit and we are both in wood ( inside it ) i lose combat and brake - but i'm skirmisher so i move normaly - 2d6 rolled and of i go - then my opponentn ( ranked unit with no special move throught wood rule ) says that if he persuits - he doesnt suffer movment penltys because he persuits in skirmish formation - is this legal ???

Simply work out how many inches the knights will have to move in order to reach the forest (x) and how many inches through the forest they would have to move to reach the unit (y).

If (x + 2y > Knight unit's charge move) then the fleeing unit escapes. Otherwise it is destroyed.

As far as have understood, pursuit does not include the unit adopting a "temporary" skirmishing formation. They suffer the normal movement penalties for moving through difficult terrain.

-T10

anarchistica
12-07-2005, 14:02
In the first example you would survive in the second you would die. Charge movement uses nomal movement, affected by terrain and other such negative (Or positive) modifiers. Flee/pursuit moves are done with disregard for all types of terrain except impassable, meaning the knights would catch you as pursuit moves suffer no minuses for terrain.
In fact, a unit in pursuit of a fleeing unit will always catch it if they roll higher on the pursuit roll, regardless of terrain or whatever. The roll does not represent how far you move but how fast you move.

The Knights don't skirmish, they just ignore any terrain (except for impassible terrain).

T10
12-07-2005, 14:56
Let's see if I got this right:

In a combat between Dark Elf Scouts and Empire Knights in a fores, the Knights win and roll 8 for pursuit.

If the Scouts roll 9 or more, they escape and are moved that distance away from the combat.

If the Scouts roll 8 or less they are destroyed.

Regardless, the Knights move (8 divided by 2 for difficult terrain) 4 inches.

-T10

anarchistica
12-07-2005, 15:14
Let's see if I got this right:

In a combat between Dark Elf Scouts and Empire Knights in a fores, the Knights win and roll 8 for pursuit.

If the Scouts roll 9 or more, they escape and are moved that distance away from the combat.

If the Scouts roll 8 or less they are destroyed.

Regardless, the Knights move (8 divided by 2 for difficult terrain) 4 inches.
The Knights move 8", units ignore the movement penalty for difficult or very difficult terrain when fleeing or when pursuing an enemy they broke in combat that turn.

Picture it like this: The whole thing lasts 30 seconds, after that the Knights come to a halt. After they were broken, the Scouts turned and ran. The Knights spurred their horses and went after them. The Scouts moved at a speed of 40 feet (8" equals about 5 feet in real life, according to the rulebook) per 30 seconds. The Knights moved at a speed of 45 feet per 30 seconds. They were simply faster and cut them down almost immediately (within 5 feet).

T10
12-07-2005, 19:10
(...)

Thank you. At least *I* learned something new.

-T10

Riddy
13-07-2005, 09:37
In fact, a unit in pursuit of a fleeing unit will always catch it if they roll higher on the pursuit roll, regardless of terrain or whatever. The roll does not represent how far you move but how fast you move.

The Knights don't skirmish, they just ignore any terrain (except for impassible terrain).

Whats your point, this is no different from what i said, i never said the knights skirmish. All you did here was confuse matters :p :p (and to think i nominated you for Fantasy rules lawyer :p )

anarchistica
13-07-2005, 15:29
Whats your point, this is no different from what i said, i never said the knights skirmish. All you did here was confuse matters :p :p (and to think i nominated you for Fantasy rules lawyer :p )
Dude, i am the rules lawyer, found two huge holes in the rules and beat Ithy twice. :p

And Akuma mentioned the skirmish thing in his first post:
then my opponentn ( ranked unit with no special move throught wood rule ) says that if he persuits - he doesnt suffer movment penltys because he persuits in skirmish formation - is this legal ???

Starbane
22-07-2005, 16:01
What if you crash into an enemy unit? Is the unit you would've bested otherwise killed, even if you crash into the enemy, or can the fleeing unit escape trough the friendly unit before it gets caught up?

anarchistica
22-07-2005, 16:17
What if you crash into an enemy unit? Is the unit you would've bested otherwise killed, even if you crash into the enemy, or can the fleeing unit escape trough the friendly unit before it gets caught up?
If the pursuing unit rolls higher than the fleeing unit, the fleeing unit is always destroyed.