PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone think this army is unfair?

gorenut
30-12-2006, 00:33
After reading the beastmen chariot thread, I got a wild urge to create a side army for fun. The army will pretty much be Gorthar, 3 Giants, and the rest will be Beastmen chariots. 2k game. To those who don't know, Gorthor allows an extra rare slot. I see this as an army with immense strength, but also immense weaknesses.

vampires are cool!
30-12-2006, 01:11
True, but then wheres the fun if you dont get half of them killed?! I'd love to see them in action if all those chariots managed to hit [how many would that be exactly, 17 chariots or so?] it would be insane! Good luck with the army, post picks if you can.

Stouty
30-12-2006, 01:26
I wouldn't say the army is vastly overpowered (though would take a bit of adaptation to defend against) but I will say that I wouldn't be altogether surprised if you got bored with it.

I'd play a few matches with it proxying and then think about it.

gorenut
30-12-2006, 01:29
Haha, definitely not even close to being set in stone since I'm still in the process of completing my Empire army.. also I would do major conversions seeing how I don't like the beastmen chariots (I'd convert Orc chariots).

Yea, it rounds out to about 15 or so chariots. The alternative would be to not take the special character, take a bare bones beastlord on chariot, then the army actually has ALOT of chariots. Comes out to be around 23 or so chariots if I do that.

Stouty
30-12-2006, 01:35
Take more giants and few chariots, for everyone's sake.

Think about it, there will be a lot of bottle neck considering that woods and stuff are out of bounds. Against wood elves it just wouldn't be pretty (you'd end up against the wood at some point and then it would move in front or on top of you).

It just wouldn't be pretty.

Move Fast Hit Low
30-12-2006, 01:44
i think that you should definitely use that list in tournaments, just to see the look on their faces

vampires are cool!
30-12-2006, 02:36
Do the chariots get the Ambush rule? Sorry for such a n00bish question but I've only glanced at the beast book.

jullevi
30-12-2006, 05:50
Take more giants and few chariots, for everyone's sake.

Think about it, there will be a lot of bottle neck considering that woods and stuff are out of bounds. Against wood elves it just wouldn't be pretty (you'd end up against the wood at some point and then it would move in front or on top of you).

It just wouldn't be pretty.

You can charge into or move through difficult terrain nowadays, unlike in 6th edition. It takes some luck to survive d6 S6 hits with a T4 beast chariot, though.

I'm not sure whether the described army is 'unfair' or not, but i wouldn't be too interested to play against one.

vorac
30-12-2006, 08:06
my 2k DE used to run with 4 cold one chariot one of which had a highborn and all 4 ran together so that stupidity wouldn't hurt so much, in one tournament i lost all 4 in every game, this was due to the fact that chariots are ******* slow, movement of 7 and a small charge arc means good players can avoid them, on top of that your putting all your hope on good impact hits because you have no ranks or outnumber, you can't negate ranks or capture corners, i would take no more than 8 and add in a few herds for Combat res.

Highborn
30-12-2006, 08:10
heh. Time to bunker down in the woods.

Stouty
30-12-2006, 14:25
You can charge into or move through difficult terrain nowadays, unlike in 6th edition. It takes some luck to survive d6 S6 hits with a T4 beast chariot, though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, you can effectively rule out going through difficult terrain a lot of the time, you will take heavy casualties.

sigur
30-12-2006, 14:35
Meh. Just meh. I don't see much appeal in this army at all, it looks like a typical "army on paper". While the giants might be fun, all those chariots are just bland. I don't see the point in an army consisting of basically 2 types of units. Where's the fun in that? All-or-nothing forces with a huge potential of annoying your opponents just aren't the way WHFB (or any game) is meant to be played.

Braad
30-12-2006, 15:11
I'dd say, put at least as much heroes in those chariots as possible. That adds +1 to the unit strength, making it 5 and allowing to negate ranks when flanking. Also, with the right equipment for the hero, you can make it so powerfull that you can smash through entire units with a single chariot.

Against chariots there are some pretty good weapons though. I once gave wollopa's one hit wunda to a goblin big boss on wolf. That means 18" charge range and 3 attacks on S10. Took out a very point-heavy chaos chariot in one blow (only need one unsaved attack on S7 or higher...) and got on doing normal gobbo stuff after that.
Also, cannons, kroxigors, black orc warbosses with great axes and that kind of stuff will be very dangerous for you.

Finnigan2004
30-12-2006, 16:54
Rather than saying that the army is unfair, I think that I would say that it's one that looks really boring to play against-- a one trick pony. Speaking only for myself, it might be intriguing to play you once or twice with this army to see how it works, but after that I'd probably be looking for other armies to play against because that one looks like a rock-paper-scissors army-- the winner would probably be known after you and your opponent set up your armies.

If a lot of people where you live have the same opinion as me (and they might not), it might be a really time consuming and expensive venture that does not pay off because people end up not wanting to play you with it. I think that I'd definitely proxy it first and see if it would be any fun to play with and/ or against. If it turns out it is, then you might want to go ahead with it. If not, you're out a lot less time and money.

Tualarc
30-12-2006, 17:09
Well as you can tell the chariot rush has been done before and its really a one trick pony. You're going to get a lot of one time opponents, they might play a game but won't do it again or the next time you play they'll plop down as many cannons and they can just to see the tears on your face.

vcassano
30-12-2006, 18:46
Armies that rely on one particular unit or specific facet of the game (Magic for example) are often one-trick ponies and this army definitely fits into this group. Additionally it is a nightmare for some armies to face; creating a really unfair game for them while against others you will be massacred.

To be honest they aren't unbalanced against most armies and a clever opponent will beat you. However for a few armies (Not races, specific army lists)it would be nigh on impossible to beat(I'm pretty sure my Druchii would struggle).

I mean you have got to expect to be facing some kind of chariot/big wound opponent for a tournament so will need units to deal with them but not 10-12!

Krud
31-12-2006, 13:43
A list with 3 giants is illegal in a 2k game. You only get 2 rare slots.

Stouty
31-12-2006, 14:20
Read the first post, Gorthor allows for an extra rare slot ;)

Captain Lysander360
31-12-2006, 17:21
that army is very easy for a dwarf army to fight with if he had a shootin army with 2 organs and lots of thunderers

Grimtuff
31-12-2006, 18:31
that army is very easy for a dwarf army to fight with if he had a shootin army with 2 organs and lots of thunderers

Erm, why?

Organ Guns are not S7 plus the Dwarf player will just be sitting there waiting to get hit by a mass wave of Chariots.

It's rock/paper/scissors. This army will (theoretically) crush a static shooty one.

Weregerbil
02-01-2007, 00:26
You want about 16 chariots and a shaggoth with MoS and a great weapon to lead it. And a Battle Standard on one of them.

vampires are cool!
02-01-2007, 01:04
Am I the only one who thinks this army is not only really cool to play, but also to play against?! I guess that if you used it alll the time it would become a bit dull [i cant even begin to envisage it taking part in a siege] but then most armies without variation would end up exactly the same. I for one cant stand just haveing one army of one race, I need a **** load of models that i can create many forces out of, each lead by a diffrent hero.
I find the idea of massed chariots great - because I've never faced one like it, and i doudt any of you have either.
Gorenut, make this bloody army to spite the gits. Do it or I'll eat your testicals!

gorenut
02-01-2007, 06:23
Am I the only one who thinks this army is not only really cool to play, but also to play against?! I guess that if you used it alll the time it would become a bit dull [i cant even begin to envisage it taking part in a siege] but then most armies without variation would end up exactly the same. I for one cant stand just haveing one army of one race, I need a **** load of models that i can create many forces out of, each lead by a diffrent hero.
I find the idea of massed chariots great - because I've never faced one like it, and i doudt any of you have either.
Gorenut, make this bloody army to spite the gits. Do it or I'll eat your testicals!

Haha, i reall like your enthusiasm. As mentioned, this will be a side project. Definitely not my primary army. Also, I'm awaiting both the release of HE and VC to see how their new editions will look. If both of them really fail me or I actually get them done as well.. this army idea is definitely next in line.