PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Character on Eagle

northwoodDreamer
30-12-2006, 07:26
Has anybody ever had a lot of success with a a Highborn or Noble riding a Great Eagle? I love the model and bought it and am now hoping to find a good way to use it. My main enemies are: Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Dark Elves, High Elves, and soon Beasts of Chaos. The undead give me the most problems, so I was hoping to turn my guy into an effective Liche Priest/Necromancer hunter. Taking out such other things as Bolt Thrower and Screaming Skull crews, Tomb Scorpions, Vampires, a Manticore, a chariot, and doing damage to TK chariots would also be very nice. Right now I am looking at possibly trying out some of the following:

A Pageant of Shrikes, Bow of Loren, The Spear of Twilight, The Helm of the Hunt, Stone of Crystal Mere, Hagbane Arrows

Any comments, ideas, or advice?

Highborn
30-12-2006, 08:52
I find the eagle isn't the best mount .. it's only real advantage is that it flies, otherwise the large base size becomes a burden (more attacks back). The Great Eagle on its own for 50 points is a steal as a war machine hunter/redirector, but for mage hunting I prefer an Alter Noble.

Death Before Dishonour
30-12-2006, 10:07
In my view it depends how you kit out the character, if you give him a good bow and arrows, these flying units can be a real pain to deal with. But i agree that the eagle itself doesn't really add much to the combat potential.
In my army i use a dragon for a similar role with some success.

god octo
30-12-2006, 11:45
i would poissibly use him as a noble, as for the extra points to get a highborn, you arent really getting anything extra. His improved LD should be near the lines, hes too constly to hurl into the enemy's ranks and hes a great big target. I would give a noble somethibng like this:

169- Noble with Stone of the crystal mere, enchanted shield, light armour and spear and mounted on a Great Eagle.

He has a 4+ armour save, which is quite good for woodies and can deal out 3 S5 attacks on the charge. He is quite survivable, as long as you dont put him into prolonged combats.

Hope that helps.

Chicago Slim
30-12-2006, 15:18
There was a thread elsewhere on this forum, recently, suggesting the Spite of causing Terror. You could put that on a Noble, mount him on an Eagle, and go flying around the enemy backfield, seeing what panics... Then finish it up with a few charges against war machine crews.

It's costly, and risky, but the thing to remember about playing wood elves is that you want to be like a stage magician, drawing your opponent's attention away from what you're really doing. 175 points might sound like a lot for bait, but that bait has the potential to do some real damage (Terrorizing his backfield!) and if you're clever about how you advance him into position, you may force him to overcommit his response to that 175 points, setting you up to earn a lot more than that in response...

Doomclaw
30-12-2006, 15:29
for mage hunting I would use warhawks, they are just great at that job with their hit and run. A character on eagle, I would give the hail of doom arrow, he can get where you want it to be and then just hope for a good roll.

northwoodDreamer
30-12-2006, 16:33
I really like the terror thing myself, except that's not going to help against either Undead armies or the Manticore/COK/COC of the DE. And I understand that the eagle isn't the best fighter, but I just love the model/idea. Most of my opponents keep their wizards out of units, because they always get whacked in close combat and usually keep them behind their units. Which is why I was thinking that it could be used to take those out. I'll just have to watch out for shooting and magic. Also, I was thinking that the hagbane arrows would be useful to take out such things as Ushtabi and chariots. No?

Necro Angelo
30-12-2006, 20:56
I like the idea of a noble or even a highborn on a great eagle; with something like the spear of twilight he could be quite destructive, or with the dawnspear could survive quite a while too. Maybe not a mage hunter, but something to punish your opponents stronger units like cavalry that really need the charge to do anything significant, so that later they're not such a threat. He would tie them up for a while, but yes, elfs do make very expensive bait.

Something that caught my eye... I live in the actual place Northwood; it's nothing worth dreaming.

northwoodDreamer
30-12-2006, 21:36
So would a fighter elf be better than a shooter elf?

Also, northwood refers to northern woods in general, not an actual place.

Necro Angelo
30-12-2006, 22:51
I could have guessed, it just seemed ironic at the time.

northwoodDreamer
30-12-2006, 23:40
Haha yeah it is ironic. I put up a list in the army list section w/ a highborn on an eagle. Tell me what you think.

Ethernal
31-12-2006, 12:07
This is the two setups i use:

Alter Highborn 287pts
Gw, La, Sh, Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Amarathine

And/or
Alter Noble 156pts
GW,La,Sh,HoH,HoD
You may drop the HoD and save another 30pts

They both have worked out great in my army the Highborn have taken out a unit of 8 saurus cav. alone and a oldblood whit some help, and they bothe have taken oute 2 beast chariots each++

Necro Angelo
31-12-2006, 13:43
I like the idea of using the helm of the hunt; plus one attack on the charge which he will almost always get, and the plus one weapon skill could be surprisingly helpful too, especially if charging straight into a challenge against a strong character.