PDA

View Full Version : firing a bolt thrower against skirimishers

Cromenon
30-12-2006, 13:58
the question is: what i have to do when i fire a cannon or a bolt thrower against a skirimishers unit?? since it has no ranks, how would you randomize the hits??

i've been searching for a rule that explains this but i've not found it yet, nor even in the rulebook

thanks a lot

Krankenstein
30-12-2006, 14:04
Cannon is easy: you draw your line and any models hit are hit.

A bolt thrower doesn't go through ranks when there are no ranks, IMO.

T10
30-12-2006, 14:59
Correct on both accounts.

-T10

ZomboCom
31-12-2006, 00:18
When shooting skirmishers, a cannon hits every model under the invisible line of the template, and a bolt thrower hits just one model which will always be a rank and file one if there are any.

Chicago Slim
31-12-2006, 01:58
Zombo: I agree with you about cannons-- they'll hit each model the template touches, which may be a character, who may be able to use Look Out Sir (if he's joined the unit of skirmishers, and if there are at least five non-character skirmishers in the unit).

I disagree about hitting characters in units of skirmishers with a bolt thrower: like any other BS-driven shooting, a bolt thrower will only hit rank-and-file models so long as there are at least 5 rank and file models to be hit. If there are fewer than 5 skirmishers in the unit in question, then the hit will be randomized among all the available models, and may hit the character, if that's what the randomizer says.

Festus
31-12-2006, 10:20
Hi

Well, Zombo's not right anymore - he would have been in 6th, though -, as p.90 details who is hit in a unit of *ranked models* of 5 or less troopers.
With Skirmishers, p.74 has to be applied, which lets shots be randomized in units of less than 5 r'n'f boys anyways.

Happy new year and
Greetings
Festus

DeathlessDraich
31-12-2006, 12:08
1) There was an FAQ in the 6th which stated only 1 model in a skirmisher unit can be hit by a Bolt thrower.

2) I think the same FAQ will reappear for the 7th because of pg 97
"Remember that the unit has no ranks as such and so attacks that affect multiple ranks such as bolt throwers, will only hit one model"

I feel the 'Remember' bit qualifies it as a general rule for bolts.

Atrahasis
31-12-2006, 12:16
I'd say the "attacks that affect multiple ranks such as bolt throwers" does a lot more than the superfluous "remember".

crossorion
31-12-2006, 16:31
Well, you hit one model, and then you randomize who gets hit if the unit has less then 5 rank-in-file models... So what's the confusion?

DeathlessDraich
31-12-2006, 18:27
None really, everyone embellished the initial reply. :)