PDA

View Full Version : Non Chosen Chaos Knights - a viable option?

Voltaire
30-12-2006, 22:01
There are always going to be people who swear to the hills about the usefulness of Chaos Knights. Something that occurs everytime this happens is that they need to be Chosen to be effective. Weighing in at 45 points each, they are a bit expensive so the question that arises is whether the 33 point non chosen Chaos Knight is a viable option. I believe it is a reasonable option.

Whats your opinion?

Tutore
30-12-2006, 22:07
It is an interesting and reasonable option, and I think fearsome to intelligent players. You manage to spare points to other things, and you still have a unit that wreaks havoc in most units.

vampires are cool!
30-12-2006, 22:30
Chosen or not, Chaos knights are visious and very powerful heavy cavelry. If you want those extra attacks then make 'em khorne. They get a desent 2+ save as it is so they still are a reliable pinning unit.
As i play Vampires and Skaven in fantasy i hate chaos knights with a passion :)

druchii
31-12-2006, 01:50
There are always going to be people who swear to the hills about the usefulness of Chaos Knights. Something that occurs everytime this happens is that they need to be Chosen to be effective. Weighing in at 45 points each, they are a bit expensive so the question that arises is whether the 33 point non chosen Chaos Knight is a viable option. I believe it is a reasonable option.

Whats your opinion?

I'd take a unit of both.

Chosen are absolutely monsters. Even if they ARE(and they ARE!) bullet magnets, they can still do some damage with a greatly reduced unit size. Often I see a unit of chosen knights, and a unit of non-chosen, khorne knights. It gives the player two very mean units, and forces the opponent to split his fire(or ignore one!).

I also like the idea of a unit of five chosen, and a unit of four non chosen, with a hero. This, again, makes both units quite dangerous, and sometimes the opponent will actually go after the hero's unit instead of the chosen!

But yes, I think they're very-very-very viable. Unchosen they're still one of the best cavalry units in the game.

d

Ice_Reaver
31-12-2006, 06:33
Chaos knights you can almost never go wrong with, chosen or not. the kicker is keeping your chosen slightly more protected than the normal knights until they're able to get up close to hurt. And just about any general would rather have a loss of 33 points opposed to 45. So I would take both as well.

Voltaire
31-12-2006, 11:06
I did wonder whether or not people thought they were viable. There seems to be an almost ignorance towards non chosen Chaos Knights. I think they are one of the best point for point unit of Knights around. I will be fielding a unit of 8 non chosen knights for a bit of difference in my next few games.

Dspankdo
31-12-2006, 11:15
To be really different how about you try chosen warriors on foot.

Neknoh
31-12-2006, 11:28
What people tend to do when you have non-chosen knights is to loosen up his guard, often allowing you to manouver them into a flank charge, where those Initiative 5, Strength 5 attacks hurts big time in an ongoing combat

Briohmar
31-12-2006, 19:23
I did wonder whether or not people thought they were viable. There seems to be an almost ignorance towards non chosen Chaos Knights. I think they are one of the best point for point unit of Knights around. I will be fielding a unit of 8 non chosen knights for a bit of difference in my next few games.

O-)-c I've used regular Chaos knights for years and they have alomost always done their job well (Note to self, remember to never frontal charge Dwarf Clan warriors with Lord in front rank without supporting charge.) If you take 5 knights plus an exalted champion and war banner the unit is nigh unstoppable, previous listing of dwarves notwithstanding. I have won (or placed highly in many a tournament without resulting to chosen knights.)

supanuno
19-01-2007, 08:07
But can you effectively run them without full command?

Neknoh
19-01-2007, 10:18
non-chosen, non-khornate? Hardly, however, chosen knights with the Mark of Khorne can easely be fielded as a unit of 4 with a Musician, 12 strength 5 and 4 strength 4 attacks is enough more times than not

Briohmar
19-01-2007, 10:28
O-(-c I run non-chosen, Slaaneshi Knights (5 with full command) and an exalted champion (6 being the magic number after all) and I've never, except once (see above) had problems with them. I have never seen them run without some form of command however. I would venture to state that they would be ineffective without a command presence (loss of banner = -1 CR, loss of attack = -1 CR) As I usually win fights by only 1 or two points with non-chosen knights against ranked infantry, without command I would likely lose these same fights.