PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Characters joining units of unmounted troops

kobraburdz
30-12-2006, 23:37
Hi, Im really new to the WHFB hobby and just started out maybe a month ago and I have a question on characters who are mounted to joining a regiment of unmounted infantry

In this thread that I started some weeks ago http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61953 people say that its completely OK to do it, but Im not sure in how it will work and I have some questions on what the rules allow.

If I stick him in a mordheim base is that fair? I checked the GW base chart and Im not really sure how big mordheim bases are....

I also have the small WHFB rulebook (The on in battle for skull pass) but I cant find the part in the book where it says mounted characters can join regiments of unmounted infantry (Though I remember reading it somewhere...I think).

Thx

Morgrin
31-12-2006, 00:04
What's a Mordheim base? Cavalry models go on cavalry bases, 25x50mm.

Mr_Rose
31-12-2006, 00:07
In the LRB, on pages 74&75, there are multiple references to the unit strength of a character inside a unit which also refer to the character possibly being mounted. Additionally, the rules for a character joining a unit on pp72-73 have a list of what sort of units a character may join and what sort of character may not join a unit. No special exceptions are made for the character potentially having a different base size or otherwise standing out from the unit.

Atrahasis
31-12-2006, 00:13
How exactly the unit will rank up is left to our imagination, however.

kobraburdz
31-12-2006, 00:25
Well according to one of the guys in the other thread "Empire Captains on foot" theres a guy there who says its better to put mounted characters on mordheim cavalry bases.

Sashu
31-12-2006, 01:40
Well according to one of the guys in the other thread "Empire Captains on foot" theres a guy there who says its better to put mounted characters on mordheim cavalry bases.

Doesn't matter. If you have a calv model, you have to put them on a 25 x 50 mm base. Period.

See the base size chart
http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/base-chart/1/

Festus
31-12-2006, 09:11
Hi

There are no Mordheim Cavalry Bases, there are just Cavalry Bases, even in Mordheim, and those are 25x50mm.

Some play Mordheim with round bases instead of square bases, and then you will use 40mm round as a cavalry base, but this won't work in WHFB.

As to the formation: Atrahasis is basically right that we have no hard and fast rules on it. But we can infer from the last editions that the best way is to have the character take up two infantry spaces in the front and second rank as a cavalry model (regardless of 20mm or 25mm infantry) and 4 spaces as a monster-mounted model (2 in the front rank, two in the second rank).

Festus

Rivlo
31-12-2006, 15:44
Hi, this is the guy who said to use mordheim bases. I guess the confusion is all my bad. It's just that one of my friends with whom I play with always uses some superthin cavalry base that he just stacked on top of eachother. And now that Festus has proven me wrong (shoulda just looked in the BRB :cries: ). There's no debate that the character can go in the unit, as that has always been true. But the problem of fitting him in the unit is a different story. Whenever I play it at my local GW, the redshirts (I know, don't trust em, but still) said that there is nothing wrong with having a Captain on a Warhorse using a slightly smaller base, unless it's in a tournament, in which case you should use the correct size. The only difference between using a bigger sized base or a smaller one is that he won't fit correctly into the formation because of his bigger size.

Griefbringer
31-12-2006, 16:00
Superthin base? Might this be the 20x40 mm Warmaster bases?

Rivlo
31-12-2006, 18:50
Superthin base? Might this be the 20x40 mm Warmaster bases?

That's it! Finally someone recognized what I was talking about. I knew it was one of the alternatives, either Mordheim or Warmaster. I was pretty sure it was Mordheim, but I guess its Warmaster. Yes, if you can get a hold of 2 of those bases and stick them together, it becomes the same size as the exactly 2 20x20s, and hence will fit perfectly in a swordsmen unit. :p Finally this is settled. :)

Chicago Slim
01-01-2007, 16:53
Yes, you could mount your character on two 20x20 bases, glued together, in order to make it easier to place them into an infantry unit-- but only for "friendlies", as it wouldn't be technically legal. Most notably, the frontage of the unit would be too small, which might sometimes mean fewer models in combat than there ought to be (I note, it's not hard to figure out the "ought to be" and just roll that many dice, instead of what the incorrect bases show you).

Better still, if all you're worried about is the fit into the infantry unit: build a custom 25x40 base (you could cut down a 40x40, or just make one from cardstock). Or, do what I do: deal with the small gaps in your infantry unit that come from having mixed base sizes in it.

kobraburdz
02-01-2007, 11:24
Many thanks for clearing up everything

Braad
02-01-2007, 14:44
Some funny image just arose in my mind...

Put him on one 20x40 mm base.
Then convert a 25x50 mm base exactly so that the 20x40 mm base fits in exactly. Then you can use it both for home playing and tournament playing, and easily switch it between units of 20mm and 25mm/cavalry.

Another option you might consider is pinning. But don't glue it, only a couple of pins. now make two bases with pins (a 20x40 and a 25x50 base) and a horse or whatever creature is being ridden with holes in it feet that exactly fit on these pins. Then you can easily switch with whatever base you need.

Dosadi
02-01-2007, 14:58
I use a black orc on a boar as my BSB and I put him in a unit of infantry. This is a great option for O&G as I get an extra S5 attack on the charge and +2 to my blorc's armour save (for a 3+). I've toyed with the idea of giving him a Ironback boar for those impact hits!
I love the fact that calvary can go into infantry units. It looks so good! The best was a big unit of flagellents led by Luthor Huss in a game I played last week. It just looked cool.

Dosadi

greenjinjo
22-01-2007, 21:16
I recently asked the Games Workshop rules help this very question. I was told "replace the [two] models that would normally occupy the area where the cavalry base is and place them in the back of the unit."

XXCXX
XXCXX
XXXXX
XXXXX

Is this still the general consensus on the board as well?

eldrak
22-01-2007, 22:13
Why not post in the Skarsnik and Gobbla thread?

GW rules help is often not very helpful at all but that's the way most here play it as far as I've seen.

Is this question posted once a week since the release of 7th ed or what (and they still didn't say anything about it in the FAQ)?

gORCUS
23-01-2007, 05:33
The special edition night goblin fanatic being flung out by two other gobbos is on a 20x40mm base, but it still wouldn't be game legal to use for cavalry.