PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Chaos questions

Amirath
31-12-2006, 08:54
I need help on deciding how to organize a my chaos army. I am still up in the air on what specific part of the army to collect. I want to eventually have parts to all the Chaos Books (eg..Khorne, Tzeench, Nurlge, etc...) How should I start this? I know all the different cults and such have different themes/colors and such. Is there a core force that I can start with and paint a specific color so that if at the time i want to play nurgle i can just toss in a mix of his Death Guard or in a different game use that same core force except mix in some of Khornes fun troops? Any and all info would be SO GREATLY appreciated.....I am chompin at the bit to get going on my Chaos mini's

Thanks,

Amirath

CENOBITE
31-12-2006, 09:01
You could go with the Word Bearers Legion, who can summon all types of demons on the battlefield.

Son-Of-Sparda
31-12-2006, 09:17
If my memory serves me correctly (forgive me if I'm wrong- I am no Chaos player!), when writing your army list, you have a choice to give the Lord (/appropriate HQ choice) a 'Mark' of Chaos.
This mark may be 'of Chaos Undivided'- the army fights for Chaos, with no (direct) affiliation to any of the Gods.
The Lord may be given a mark of 'Khorne', 'Slaneesh'... etc. - this means that the army is more towards one God than any other, and flies under it's colours so to speak. It also grants access to God-specific troops- bloodletters, screamers etc.
If you want to build a diverse and adaptable army, so that you can pick and choose what units you wish to field, I suggest that you build a big enough 'Chaos Undivided' force, then build God-specific units- a Bloodthirster, a unit of bloodletters, plague marines etc.

Hope this helps... :rolleyes:

Darkseer
31-12-2006, 09:27
The most important advice I can give you is to stick rigidly to 1 legion. If you're not careful you'll end up incorporating all sorts of weird bits.

Choose your legion, go with the fluff and create your armylist around that. It's much more fun and consisted that way.

NightHaunter86
31-12-2006, 09:50
Well it seems you want to play marines dedicated to a certain chaos deity along with other run of the mill marines. In this case I would suggest the Black Legion. It might not be what you are looking for but its the closest thing you can get if you want to play a pleathora of different cult troops.

jubilex
31-12-2006, 13:26
I would suggest a solid core of undivided trrops for starters. They will fit in with any of the cults, so are always useful. After you build them up, start adding cult troops in blocks, each with a hq to allow you to control the foc as you see fit. I painted my undivideds in night lords colours so I could use them as a stand alone army too. Welcome to chaos amirath, one less of them, one more of us.

Playa
31-12-2006, 17:31
Hey,

I want to eventually have parts to all the Chaos Books

Get a Codex. Read up on the Black Legion and their rules.

if at the time i want to play nurgle i can just toss in a mix of his Death Guard

In BL, you can have Berserkers or Plague Marines as 0-3 Elites choices.

Ditto for Noisemarines or Rubrics. Mix-and-match if you like.

Caveat: Take note of the Ancient Enemies animosity rule, Codex pg38.

I am chompin at the bit

1. Get a Captain like Abaddon, or another you like better.

2. Get 2 boxes of (8) basic Marines.

3. Paint them all Black.

Play.

Good luck, and have fun!

Playa

andozane
31-12-2006, 18:16
One thing you have to realize with the different flavours of Chaos, is if you choose to have a truly dedicated force (i.e. Emperor's Children, DeathGuard), all units in that force must have the same mark of their god. So, if I'm playing DeathGuard, every unit in my army must have Mark of Nurgle.

Now, how does that effect you? Well, now, suddenly several units are not available to you. No Obliterators, Raptors, or Bikes.

Also, those marines you painted black, now won't really fit in with the overall army.

With that said, unless you already love one of the dedications and know which one you want to play, go with Black Legion. Everything is open to you and any unit you choose can be fielded. As someone mentioned, you do have to watch the ancient enemies rules.

Then, nothing will stop you from one day expanding on your collection towards a certain chaos god and create a truly dedicated army.

xibo
31-12-2006, 18:47
If you have a guard army, try the lost and damned (codex eye of terror) first - they can have allied CSM troops, including cult ones, and one of their basic troops choices are traitor guardsmen.

Amirath
03-01-2007, 08:45
Has any of you guys used magnets on the arms of Chaos marine models? I was starting to think I could have a different set of arms with the marks of the corrosponding gods on the arms. So when i field a certain army with a certain Mark I can just use that set of arms with the correct marks on them?

Kaoslord
03-01-2007, 10:46
Magnets would be very tricky to implement for standard marines. They work great for weapon mounts on tanks and dreadnoughts, and I would imagine they could be adapted to Terminators if you felt the need, but standard marines are just too small... Plus the sheer number you'd need would make costs prohibitive....

The most important thing about a Chaos Army, is knowing that it can be whatever the hell you want it to be. A solid core of Undivided troops is a good start, but remember, regardless of what your lord is marked, you can have up to three different marked squads as Elites. Possibly not the best use of Elites choices, but you can battle test different squads, and it's enough to justify having a good variety.

Try to have a coherant look though. If you get a bitza Chaos Army, that's what it will look like.... Bitza. The way the kits are designed though, with a little thought your marked troops can mesh seemlessly in with the Undivided ones.... Possibly a little MORE thought in the case of the Plaguemarines, but it's still possibly...

Anyway, good luck. Go sacrifice some innocents for us. Give Em Hell!