PDA

View Full Version : Very first Wood Elves army-list. Good or..?

Karrlov
31-12-2006, 14:44
Gday all!

A few weeks ago, I decided to start Wood Elves.
First because of the models and their background. They're just awesome!
But also because I play VC for quite some time now, and I'd like to play something way different too.
I'm afraid the first battles will teach me a hard lesson... Wood Elves seem very difficult to me. Especially when I take into account that my main-opponent just started Dwarfs...

O well, here's my first list: it will often fight against either Dark Elves or Dwarfs.
Can you tell me if this is a good list or if it's in need for tweaking?
I already own 32 Glade Guard, 8 Glade Riders and 12 Dryads (Battalion)
__________________________________________________ _______________

2000 pts.
Wood Elves

Lords & Heroes
Wood Elf Highborn – Great Weapon, The Oaken Armour, The Fimbulwinter Shard, Annoyance Of Netlings
Spellsinger Life – Level 2
Spellsinger Athel Loren – Level 2

Core Units
10 Glade Guard – Lord’s Bowman
10 Glade Guard
8 Glade Riders – Full Command
15 Eternal Guard – Full Command
12 Dryads
12 Dryads

Special Units
3 Warhawk Riders

Rare Units
5 Waywatchers
Treeman

Highborn goes with the Eternals, creating a stubborn unit for holding ground when needed.
Waywatchers, Glade Riders and Warhawks go artillerycrew-and archer/handgunner-hunting.
Dryads to protect my flanks/attack enemy-flanks.
Treeman eats Dwarfs/knights.
Err...
Well, the rest speaks for itself I guess?

Thanks in advance!
Mark

god octo
31-12-2006, 15:28
Lords & Heroes
Wood Elf Highborn – Great Weapon, The Oaken Armour, The Fimbulwinter, annoyance of netlings

With this guy, i would possibly drop the Fimbulwinter, as you have the netlings and he is pretty tough with regen.

Spellsinger Life – Level 2

With these two, i would use some spare points to get some scrolls to protect you from magic. Also, Spellsingers can only use the Lore of Athel Loren.

Core Units
10 Glade Guard – Lord’s Bowman
10 Glade Guard
8 Glade Riders – Full Command
15 Eternal Guard – Full Command
12 Dryads
12 Dryads

The glade guard are fine, but i would drop the champion. With the galde rdiers, i would drop 2 and the command and use the extra points to get some scrolls and some more eternal guard. The dryads are better if split into 3 unitS of 8, as they are more easy to move and are cheaper if you have to sacrifice a unit.

Special Units
3 Warhawk Riders

Rare Units
5 Waywatchers
Treeman

These three choices are fine and should do you well.

Hope that helps a bit.

Pisy
31-12-2006, 15:37
Hi,
at first a lvl 2 mage of we isn't able to choose spells from life, only a spellweaver may do so.
eternal guard is a waste of points, drop them and take more dryads. drop the glade guard riders and take 5 wild hunters with war banner. they are really good if you use them wise.
i don't think that you will need a champion in the glade guard.

here some hints
-2 treeman are better
-always use all hero-slots
-try using wardancers they are more effektiv than eternal guard
-treekin are always a good choice vs chariots
-look in the forum for very effektiv generals, there are plenty of good ideas
-always take dispel scrolls for you mage, they are necessary to survive

i don't think that you will win many battles with your list on tournaments.

have a good new year

northwoodDreamer
31-12-2006, 15:38
I guess I'll just reinforce the previous comments. Spellsingers can only use the Lore of Athel Loren. Dryads are best in units of 8. And you could use some more Eternal Guard.

Against Dwarfs, the only thing that you need to fear are ORGAN GUNS and the flame cannon for your Treeman. Organ Guns treat skirmishers just like anything else and are capable of wiping out an entire unit of Dryads (if you take them down to 8) in one turn. Do your best to avoid it or try to use tree singing to block it's LOS. If you can somehow kill the crew, then by all means do it.

Karrlov
01-01-2007, 10:30
2000 pts.
Wood Elves

Lords & Heroes
Wood Elf Highborn - ??

Core Units
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
8 Dryads
8 Dryads

Special Units
5 Wild Riders
9 Wardancers
3 Warhawk Riders

Rare Units
Treeman
Treeman

The army is now much more concentrated on speed and punch.
Although there are quite some models gone, it should do better in combat now while still being able to finish off enemy shooting.
Do you guys think this list is more versatile?
Or should I drop a Treeman for another unit of elves? (Unit of Eternal Guard?)
Other tweaking?
And another problem is... What kind of Highborn must I take? I still have quite some points left for him including an eventual mount.

If you can help me, thanks in advance!

mightygnoblar
01-01-2007, 12:05
2000 pts.
Wood Elves

Lords & Heroes
Wood Elf Highborn - ??
as previous like mentioned more magic defence is needed, as being small and elite you are going to be very suceptilble to a magic onslaught
Core Units
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
8 Dryads
8 Dryads

Special Units
5 Wild Riders
the wild riders should really have a banner possibly a warbanner in order to generate more combat res
9 Wardancers
3 Warhawk Riders
personally i am not a fan is i find that glade riders do the same job for much less points
Rare Units
Treeman
Treeman
personally i would not take a second treeman in a list like this, as you have sacrificed too many points into these two big models leaving your army to be very small, if you do want a second treeman i would suggest dropping the highborn and making him an ancient, that way you can spend his points on bulking out the army, more dryads or glade guard would not go amiss

DeathlessDraich
01-01-2007, 14:50
G'day Karrlov and welcome!
Some suggestions
1) A double Treeman! It works but requires some tactical skill. Just beware of flaming magic or attacks and use the 4 (or 3 if you drop a Spellsinger) Treesinging spells you have in every round to create ambush zones.
2) Your Highborn will be hiding with the Glade Guard i.e. he's more of a shooting than a cmbat lord so chose the magic to go with that - Amaranthine brooch or better/GW/Bow of Loren with Arcane bodkins.
3) Drop one Spellsinger and add Scrolls for the other. Reduce the no of wardancers to 8 and add an Alter Noble with HOH and HOD.

Karrlov
01-01-2007, 17:51
Alright, thank you all for your help!
These tips helped me a lot in deciding which units seem good to work with.
Now it's time to go paint some :P

Greetings,
Karrlov

Captain Lysander360
02-01-2007, 10:25
I never take dispel schrolls they a waste of points 25pts for a 1 use only thing when you have about 5 dispel dice and i would think the enemy would rarely take mages

god octo
02-01-2007, 10:44
@ Captain Lysander360, many people take mages, and WE are very weak to magical attacks- they ignore our forest spirit saves, and therefore things such as dryads will have no save at all.

I would possibly swap a treeman for a unit of eternal guard. Many people (me included) see 2 treeman as unsporting and unfluffy. Plus, it gives you more well detailed models to paint!

Karrlov
02-01-2007, 15:53
I've redone the list another time, taking almost everything said into account, except for one thing: I still need more magic defence.
But what shall I drop in order to get that?
And are there still any other things which need tweaking?
(Damn, making a versatile list ain't easy...)

This is the list:

Lords & Heroes
Wood Elf Highborn – Great Weapon, The Oaken Armour, Annoyance Of Netlings
Spellsinger – Level 2
Spellsinger – Level 2

Core Units
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
5 Glade Riders
20 Eternal Guard – Full Command
8 Dryads
8 Dryads

Special Units
5 Wild Riders – Standard Bearer with Warbanner, Wild hunter
9 Wardancers – Full Command

Rare Units
Treeman

god octo
02-01-2007, 17:49
you could drop the eternal guard down to 17: with the highborn they would be 18 strong which should be fine. With the points left over, you could get a scroll for one of the mages and then you would have 11 points left over.

Hope that helps a bit.

angry_elves
02-01-2007, 18:15
i find that a alter noble with GrW-LA-hail of doom arrow-helmof the hunt works 5 s6 ws7 attacks on the charge 4 156 points never leave home with out him also i use him in-sync with wild riders

mightygnoblar
03-01-2007, 11:53
if you are planning on putting the highborn in the eternal guard consider taking the amber pendant, this way even if you get charged up to three models in base contact with him will be forced to strike last allowing the highborn himself and maybe a couple of eternal guard to strike before the enemy chargers meaning you will be able to deal some damage to stop the chargers before taking the full blunt of their assault

adreal
03-01-2007, 14:20
Wait, isn't your main opponent (ie the one he will play the most) playing dwarves now....dwarves with more dispell dice then you have power dice.....So why waste points on mages that could be better spent on combat characters of flying units to take out warmachines.

In a tournie setting or a general list, then yeah a mage or two wouldn't go astray, but if your mainly going to fight dwarves, then don't bother with magic (and yes you can survive without, even against some of the more magic heavy armies.)

Alex Under
03-01-2007, 14:44
The thing about WE is that they have many options to choose from and everyone that plays them will tell you something different! It really all depends on the way you play, but I think that the last list you've posted can work real fine. Give it a go, and if you see that you need to do any changes, do so, you have enough options to choose from.

Good luck, nice list :)

Highborn
03-01-2007, 22:27
I've redone the list another time, taking almost everything said into account, except for one thing: I still need more magic defence.
But what shall I drop in order to get that?
And are there still any other things which need tweaking?
(Damn, making a versatile list ain't easy...)

This is the list:

Lords & Heroes
Wood Elf Highborn – Great Weapon, The Oaken Armour, Annoyance Of Netlings
I would be avoiding challenges with dwarf characters at all costs. Bow of Loren / Arcane Bodkins would be better.
Spellsinger – Level 2

Spellsinger – Level 2

Core Units
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
Dwarves don't fall easy to elf bows. T4 and good armour. Slayers make a good target, but only because shooting at them is smarter than fighting them in combat.
5 Glade Riders
Good unit, but Wild Riders are better against dwarves. S3 shooting will do nothing, but Wild Riders have +1 armour, 5+ ward, +1WS, +1S and either fear or +1A
20 Eternal Guard – Full Command
Good unit, but you probably want to go 7 wide against most dwarf units because of the 3 effective attacks per base. In that case, you're better off with 17 and spending the points elsewhere.
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
Nice solid choice against dwarves. Great for distracting organ guns with T4 and 5+ ward.

Special Units
5 Wild Riders – Standard Bearer with Warbanner, Wild hunter
Great unit. Unfortunately, with this as your only warmachine hunting unit, you will get shot up badly.
9 Wardancers – Full Command
Handy if they don't get shot up.

Rare Units
Treeman
Heartily disagree with the guy that told you to drop the Waywatchers. Watchers are great against dwarves, who are generally too slow to catch them and can never kill more than one with cannons, flame cannons or bolt throwers. Place them in a wood near the opponent, out of sight of Organ Guns preferably. If they get shot at by missile regiments ... great. There's far worse things that the dwarf could be shooting at than a skirmishing unit of waywatchers in soft cover. Great Eagles are also handy ... you don't have to beat war machine crews in combat with your war machine hunters. Just tie them up for that crucial turn or two.

If you want more magic defense, switch out a spellsinger for a Branchwraith with A Cluster of Radiants and equip the other spellsinger with Dispel Scrolls. Depending on the dwarf army, the treeman is either great or cannon fodder. You could find the points by killing a unit of Glade Guard perhaps, as there is no way elves will ever outshoot a dwarf.

BigBuddy
07-01-2007, 23:57
About the Highbourne:

1) Get rid of Armor and great weapon
2) upgrade him to Waywatcher
3) Add some Waywatchers
4) Give him the Moonstone of Hidden Paths and Loren Bow/Arcane Bodkins
5) Go to work

this will allow you to:
a) deploy closer to his troops, effectively canceling any turns of movement that the watchers would need to get into position
b) Rip apart any of his melee units that will run against you w/ Killing Blow and Bodkins
c) And if you ever get into a tight spot, or you have an opportunity to mow down some unprotected War machines, you can port around with the moonstone.

If you need to sacrifice some points to make this happen, I would get rid of the second spell singer and Treeman, equip Calaingor's Staff and add some Tree kin. The reasons are:

a) treekin do more damage on the whole than Treemen, at the sacrifice of some wounds, (but they're cheaper and you get more so its fine)
b)you don't need the treekin for Treesinging anymore because your mage has calaingor's staff, and subsequently infinite tree moves
c)with calaingor's staff, you only need one spell caster with treesinging

Just some thoughts, but it will turn your army a little more offensive than it already is

plus, without the Highbourne making the eternals stubbourn, you may want to sub them for something else (though I think they are still the best mass defensive units)

-Buddy