PDA

View Full Version : Escher gang

Khadhar'phak
31-12-2006, 19:51
I'm just starting Necromunda, and I decided that I wnted to do an Escher gang. This is what I've come up with so far, and I was wondering if anyone had any hints or ideas:

Gang leader:Plasma pistol, Chainsword (170)
Heavy 1:Heavy stubber, stubgun, knife, dumdum rounds (195)
Heavy 2:Plasma gun, stubgun, knife, dumdum rounds (145)
Ganger 1:Lasgun, stubgun, knife, dumdum rounds, telescopic sight (136)
Ganger 2:Stubgun, laspistol, knife, dumdum rounds (80)
Ganger 3:Sword, knife, frag grenades (90)
Juve 1:Stub gun, knife, dumdum rounds (40)
Juve 2:Stubgun, sword, knife, frag grenades, dumdum rounds (80)
Juve 3:Two knives (30)

Total:996

Any hints would be great! Thanks...

Dark Apostle197
31-12-2006, 20:35
I believe you have to get rid of the sight, I do not believe ANY gang can start with them.

Khadhar'phak
31-12-2006, 20:38
Ah, sorry, noob mistake ^^;

Dark Apostle197
31-12-2006, 20:42
With the points from the extra points from the scopes, I would say give Juve 3 a pistol.

bertcom1
31-12-2006, 20:44
Hi,

You don't have a lot of gangers, meaning you might not be able to work your territories for creds easily, especially if one or more gangers goes down during the games.

For the gangers with las weapons, these rarely go wrong, so they don't need backup weapons much.

You might be better trading one of the heavies for a couple extra gangers.

Also, keep some of your starting creds back, in case of emergencies during your first game.

Escher are pretty good, and have nice models. Good luck!

Dark Apostle197
31-12-2006, 20:48
He is right about that, my redemptionists get money without the use of gangers so I am not used to needing to send them out to work... If getting rid of a ganger I would say drop the plasma one. I think he has the pistols because of WYSIWYG issues?

Khadhar'phak
31-12-2006, 20:52
Sorry, but do you mean the plasma heavy? So, I should drop some equipment and a heavy to get more gangers? Ok then... shoul I go for more lasguns? Or Autoguns?

Dark Apostle197
31-12-2006, 21:27
On the list you just wrote plasma gun, so that is what I wrote, cause I figured he has a plasma gun :) Heavy stubbers are very nice so I would stick with that instead. Ganger 2 could use some kind of gun, and juve 3 a pistol. I would take gangers with lasguns or autoguns, you already have decent combat, and who knows, your shooters will most likely get combat stats anyway :) I would prefer lasguns because in the long run they are cheaper cause whenever I have an autogun, I always buy the guy a pistol because I roll a lot of ammo rolls :)

Khadhar'phak
31-12-2006, 21:29
Ok, here's the edited list:

Ganger 1:Lasgun, knife (75)
Ganger 3:Sword, stub gun, knife, dumdum rounds, frag grenades (105)
Ganger 4:Lasgun, knife (75)
Ganger 5:Lasgun, knife (75)
Juve 2:Stubgun, sword, knife, frag grenades, dumdum rounds (80)
Juve 3:Stubgun, knife, dumdum rounds (40)
total: 935

Should I keep Juve 2 as is? Or should I drop some equipment for more models?

bertcom1
31-12-2006, 21:30
I think you might be able to get something like this.

Ganger with shotgun+knife (Manstopper rounds)
Ganger with shotgun+knife (Manstopper rounds)
Ganger with lasgun+knife
Ganger with lasgun+knife
Ganger with autopistol+sword+knife
Ganger with autopistol+sword+knife

Juve with stubgun+knife
Juve with stubgun+knife

Heavy with Heavy Stubber+knife+autopistol

Leader with Sword+Plasmapistol+knife

That should be 870 creds.

Maybe trade the two juves for a Heavy with Plasmagun, that would be 930 creds.

Spend some more on a few backup weapons like autopistols or stubguns for the leader or a couple of the gangers, but maybe keep a few creds back.

That would get you a good number of people on the field, with a mix of weapons, including some close combat people as well as some fire support.

I think Lasguns are better than autoguns, because their better ammo roll means they are more reliable, and the gangers wouldn't need backup weapons as much.

Dark Apostle197
31-12-2006, 21:32
Looks good, you should be able to go to territories now. I would say keep juve 2 the same just without the grenades. he will most likely surpass your leader soon(mine devotee almost has) so it is fine.

Edit: The above list doesn't look bad either.

Khadhar'phak
31-12-2006, 21:34
Final edit:

Ganger 3:Sword, stub gun, knife, dumdum rounds, frag grenades (105)
Ganger 4:Lasgun, knife (75)
Ganger 5:Lasgun, knife (75)
Juve 2:Stubgun, sword, knife, dumdum rounds (50)
Juve 3:Stubgun, knife, dumdum rounds (40)
total: 905

Ok, so this is how you guys think it should look?

bertcom1
31-12-2006, 21:56
That looks alright, I would be tempted to put in another 75pt ganger (sword+pistol?), but that would only leave you with 20 creds, which might be a bit tight.

hope you do well in your games.

Khadhar'phak
31-12-2006, 21:57
Thanks! I roll appalingly, so I need all the luck I can get ^^;

Dark Apostle197
31-12-2006, 22:00
My opponent in the minicampaign we are starting to learn the rules more uses ratskins. he is more accurate with his musket then I am with a bolter somehow :) and don't get me started on Loarence the lasgunner... Argh he almost never misses... Stupid lucky ratskins lol. So yeah, I know how luck can hurt, cause I rarely hit him. Still funny though.

Khadhar'phak
31-12-2006, 22:05
In the end, if a games funny you don't care. I once witnessed a game (the same game prompted me to start) Where an entire goliath gang did better at shooting with pistols, then a Van Saar gang with several heavy stubbers. One goliath down, with 4 Van Saars out of action and another stunned. It was just unbelieveable! Thanks for your help guys, now I just need a cunning plan... (On a side note, I hate Cawdor gangs with bolters when they are under my mates control. He never fails ammo rolls T_T)

Catferret
31-12-2006, 22:23
My one recommendation would be a back up weapon for your leader. If you fire the plasma pistol on max power you have to recharge for a turn so will probably want another pistol for short range blasting. You seem to like stubguns so give her one of them with dumdums because it'll also provide S4 in h2h.

Good luck and have a great new year everybody! I'm going back to drinking copious quantities of al-kee-hol...

Khadhar'phak
31-12-2006, 22:39
Thanks, I think I will now. I like them because you get strength four weapons for the same cost as an Autopistol. Happy new year to all!

Dark Apostle197
01-01-2007, 03:25
Str 4 weapon that may kill you. :) BTW, is their a typo in your sig? "TAKE THAT GORRAM HILL!" doesn't make too much sense to me :)

Palatine Katinka
01-01-2007, 04:03
"GORRAM" is probably a "Firefly" reference.

This may sound boring and lots of other people will give more interesting ideas but, I found the basic Escher box set made a good gang for a beginner.
Leader has a decent ranged weapon, Heavy has a cheap weapon, some Gangers with a mix of ranged weapons and the only close combat ganger in the original range of boxed gangs, topped off with a couple of cheap and cheerful juves. Maybe add another Ganger to work all 5 starting Territories.

Lord Humongous
01-01-2007, 04:26
The stubgun is worse than useless, and dum-dums just make it useless and dangerous to the user. And gods, you've got a lot of them...

A pistol with no bonus to hit at close range? And a -1 past 8 inches? Anybody with auto pistols will pin you down and cut you to ribbons. Juves might as well ignore the things use as a gun and hope they get a chance to use it in close conbat- str 4 isn't bad, though a club is cheaper.

Drop them like the rocks they are. I don't care if the models are golden deamon winners; cut those suckers off, re-sculpt them, do whatever yah need to do so that you can NOT be forced to buy all those stub guns.

The only pistol really worth consideration for wide-spread use a starting gang is an auto-pistol; its the best pistol there is (in a starting gang, at least) hands down.

I'm also not fond of plasma pistols in starting gangs. -1 to hit past 6 inches is hard even when you have BS4. A bolt pistol works better, IMO. If you like the idea of your leader using the plasma pistol at close range, at least get an autopistol for the 6+ inch shots, so you will be sure to have plasma's high power available for when you get close enough to actually hit.

Laspistols stink for the same reason; -1 to hit past 8 inches is not your friend. But if a model is stuck with one as a secondary weapon, its OK.

Catferret
01-01-2007, 05:18
I would like to point out that I don't use Stubguns and likely never will. I'm an Autopistol man too. Just recommended one to Khadar'phak because he seemed to have a theme going and there's nothing wrong with that.

Plasmapistols will do you a lot of favours if you are often playing the Raid scenario or up against Scalies in a Scavvy gang.

Bolt Pistols may be more accurate but a Plasmapistol is more reliable. I use one in combination with a basic weapon. This gives you your range but leaves you with a reliable and very deadly weapon for up close.

Khadhar'phak
01-01-2007, 11:53
Auto pistols eh? but aren't they just laspistols with a lower ammo roll?

Catferret
01-01-2007, 14:50
Autopistols are more accurate at long range and also look cool! I'm easily swayed by such things!

Consider a ganger's role before giving them a backup weapon.

Leaders want to keep making use of that BS4 so if you are doing h2h give them a 2nd pistol. Otherwise a basic weapon for the long range.

Heavies NEED a lasgun! Big guns are long ranged and unreliable. Don't give them a pistol, they'll never be in range!

Gangers with las or autoguns could be given a 2nd basic weapon so they can continue to provide fire support. Shotgunners are gonna be up close anyway so a pistol will serve them better. H2H gangers are gonna be running and charging most of the time so don't need a backup ranged weapon.

Juves don't get backup weapons til they earn them!

Lord Humongous
01-01-2007, 16:29
Auto pistols eh? but aren't they just laspistols with a lower ammo roll?

Nope. Laspistols are just autopistols that get a -1 to hit past 8 inches, that happen to have more ammo capacity than you will ever need. ;)

Khadhar'phak
01-01-2007, 16:51
In that case then... Autopistols replace the stubguns.
Final, Final edit:

Gang leader:Plasma pistol,autopistol, Chainsword (185)
Heavy 1:Heavy stubber, lasgun, knife (205)
Ganger 2:autopistol, lasgun, knife (90)
Ganger 3:Sword, autopistol, knife, frag grenades (105)
Ganger 4:Lasgun,autopistol, knife (90)
Ganger 5:Lasgun,autopistol, knife (90)
Juve 1:Autopistol, knife, (40)
Juve 2:Autopistol, sword, knife, (50)
Juve 3:Autopistol, knife, (40)
total: 970

How's that?

Catferret
02-01-2007, 00:19
That should do nicely. You gonna spend the last 30 creds or stash them? Ratskin and Scummer are calling you!

Good luck in your first game!

Khadhar'phak
02-01-2007, 00:24
I think I'll stash them. My luck in games will probably mean I'll have to rely on money I've stashed. The Juves may have to give up rations... What kind of scum or ratskins do I get for 30 creds?

Catferret
02-01-2007, 00:30
15 creds each per game. Ratskin may find you bonus territories and a bonus on the scenario roll while a Scummer provides a really good BS early on.

They are both really useful but I favour the Ratskin mainly for the free territory chance.

Khadhar'phak
02-01-2007, 00:38
I might follow your example and get that Ratskin. Does he fight in the gang battles? This may be a stupid question, but I am a noob to Necro:D

Catferret
02-01-2007, 00:41
Yes, he is slightly better than a ganger and has set equipment. 3 skills or stat advances as well as their unique abilities. Check them out in the Rule Book.

They count for gang size on bottle checks but not for your income. You just have to pay the 15 creds per game if you want to keep him on.

Totally worth the expenditure.

Khadhar'phak
02-01-2007, 00:46
Cool. Are there any other hired guns that you would suggest for when I've (hopefully if the dice gods show mercy) won a few games?

Catferret
02-01-2007, 00:48
Scummers for twin gun slinging action!!! They are useful to keep you winning games until the rest of your gang get some experience. Then they start to become a cred-sink. You get to make some cool models though, like a grizzled ex-enforcer or something.

Khadhar'phak
02-01-2007, 01:00
Cool! I like the sound of that!

Catferret
02-01-2007, 01:08
I'm still in two minds about Bounty Hunters. They are tough as nails and able to outshoot most leaders but they are really expensive (35 creds per game). Their capture abilities may allow you to make that money back though.

Khadhar'phak
02-01-2007, 01:13
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

Catferret
02-01-2007, 01:27
Glad to be of help. Best way to find out what you like is to get stuck in and play a few games. See what your gang is lacking and recruit hired guns to make up for it until your own guys develop a bit.

Darkhorse
02-01-2007, 10:40
I'll second the posts on the stubguns, worse than useless.
Definately an autopistol man meself.
I'm not a fan of the Heavy Stubber, it'll take the first opportunity to run out of ammo and when it does hit it's only strength 4, I think the plasma gun is a better weapon but you might want to consider handing it to your leader at BS4.
Lasguns and Autoguns; if you can afford a lasgun take it, autoguns become a better investment when you've got Armourers in your gang.
You don't have any shotguns, these are an investment with manstopper rounds, to begin with they have the same 33.3% chance of wounding a model per shot asa las/auto at short range, but as your gangers gain BS or gunsights they can improve that to 55.6% whereas the las/auto tops out at 41.7%.
Ratskin Scouts are good hired guns (always give them a lasgun) and can find extra territory which you could exploit if you had more gangers.
Scum should have 2 boltpistols if they have the gunfighter skill and a plasma pistol if not.
I'd avoid bounty hunters, they're good but an extra Juve would be a better investment for the creds.

Quin 242
02-01-2007, 12:29
Looks like they talked you out of the second heavy.

I say get him back.
Even if you only give him a lasgun. He will be gaining experience and so on so when you can afford a special or heavy stubber he will be ready to go.

Well worth the extra points when your one heavy takes wounds/dies.

bertcom1
02-01-2007, 12:52
Looks like they talked you out of the second heavy.

I say get him back.
Even if you only give him a lasgun. He will be gaining experience and so on so when you can afford a special or heavy stubber he will be ready to go.

Well worth the extra points when your one heavy takes wounds/dies.

Quin242, that's a good point. Darkhorse also makes a good point with the plasmagun. It's also more mobile than the heavy stubber.

Khadhar'phak, how about this?

Gang leader:Plasma pistol,autopistol, Chainsword,knife (185)
Heavy 1:Lasgun, knife (85)
Heavy 2:Plasmagun, Knife (130)
Ganger 2:autopistol, lasgun, knife (90)
Ganger 3:Sword, autopistol, knife, frag grenades (105)
Ganger 4:Lasgun,autopistol, knife (90)
Ganger 5:Lasgun,autopistol, knife (90)
Juve 1:Autopistol, knife, (40)
Juve 2:Autopistol, sword, knife, (50)
Juve 3:Autopistol, knife, (40)
total: 980

I would be tempted to swap one or two lasguns for Shotguns with manstoppers, like Darkhorse recommends. Give the autopistols to the gangers with shotguns first, then to anyone else that needs a backup weapon.

Catferret
02-01-2007, 15:35
The Plasmagunner needs a rifle for when it's recharging! Use the spare 20 creds for an Autogun.