PDA

View Full Version : Are spears on Ork boys worth it?

damiengore
31-12-2006, 21:09
As the title says, r they worth it when choppa/shield is 1pt less?

DeathlessDraich
31-12-2006, 22:32
1) Well, I'm not an Orc expert but I've never seen them on any orc army.
I certainly prefer the 2 HW option with shield for all orc infantry units. At least 1 unit will get a charge especially with the new Waagh and good timing.

2) Spears tend to be for defensive purposes and I wouldn't recommend more than 1 unit if you really do want to have them.

Coragus
01-01-2007, 01:25
I haven't played with the new Orc army book, but I have looked through it and I believe my experience with the O&G before should still be true. The option of putting spears on Orcs is completely against the character of the army and would negate what they are good at, which is running forward and getting stuck in with +1 S choppas. I think that this is even more true now, because I think that orcs can be given 2 choppas and not lose the +1 S. Keep the spears where they belong, on gobbos.

sulla
01-01-2007, 02:58
I think the spear models look great. What I would do is model a few spears into every choppa unit just so you get the nice models.

Dosadi
01-01-2007, 04:01
Ahhhh, the poor orc spear. Back in 4th and 5th edition I used spears (and halbeards!) on my orcs. With the advent of the Choppa in 6th editon there was less of place for the spear in my O&G army. But I still used them on my unit of Big'Unz with the Banner of Butchery. Now with the choppa getting even better in 7th, there really in no place for the spear. Well...there is, it's called the hands of a goblin.
I still keep a unit with spears around though (they are painted after all) to use in very big games where I keep 'em in the back guarding my warmachines, etc..

Dosadi

stashman
01-01-2007, 11:02
Spear is good on Big Uns - They can deliver upto 13 (S4, WS4) attacks and thats a threat to anyone. Put the Mork Banner and have extra Dispel Dice or protect the shaman with them.

Make one unit with nice looking good big uns.

Tutore
01-01-2007, 13:19
I use two choppas, and see no reason of using spears...

Chicago Slim
01-01-2007, 17:43
Damien, note that you're incorrect about the relative costs: a spear is a +1 point upgrade, same as a shield. So, orcs with spears and light armor cost the same as orcs with choppa, shield and light armor.

That said, I think Stashman has the right of it: spears for Big Uns, choppas for regular Boyz.

And as I said in another thread, there's no wrong configuration for Orc Boyz with choppas: no shields, for minimal cost, is great. Choppa and shield is also great. Two choppas, also great.