PDA

View Full Version : New to Fantasy. General O&G Question.

dave
31-12-2006, 22:10
Hi. I've played 40k for a few years but never tried Fantasy. It looks more fun than 40k has become though and I love the models. With the new rules and new Orc book I thought I would give it a go. I swapped heaps of 40k stuff for about 4000 points of Orc bits. I'm really enjoying assembling the models but before I finalise my bits I wouldn't mind some advice. I love the fun side of the army so I'm not looking to be super competitive or anything. I've assembled about 1/2 the army. It's an all mobile mixed horde. Theme is most important when I design an army. No War Machines. No super maxed out characters. I'm aiming for 4k so I can use all the bits and have lots of options to play any size game. In general terms my army is:

Cheap Warboss, cheap Black Orc Warboss (40k conversions), Standard Bearer, Boss on boar, Black Orc Boss on boar, level 2 Shamans (Goblin, Night Goblin, Orc) with staff of stealin', baduum and mushrooms, 7 units of goblins (night and normal) average 30 models each, 6 fanatics, 7 units fast attack (wolf and spider) most 5 but a couple 10 strong, 6 units Orcs (various weapons) average 25 strong, small unit Black Orcs (conversions), some Snotlings, Squig Herd, a Troll (for looks only) and 2 Giants (The new kit is great - most fun I've ever had converting models).

Is there anything in general I could adjust to make the army stronger without changing the theme? It seems solid overall for a horde army with lots of choppy stuff, reasonable magic, plenty of fast stuff and heaps of FUN units! Having zero Fantasy experience I would appreciate any general advice though.

Cheers!
Dave.

vorac
31-12-2006, 22:30
well since you have 2 Bosses on boars you may want to include some boar boys, and some Orcs chariots with give some punch for all those infantry units, you have decent magic, but you lack shooting, maybe some arrerboys, if you can get your hands on the old plastic ones, other than that the army looks solid at 4k, maybe a wivern.

dave
01-01-2007, 00:14
Cheers. Should have mentioned that the Orcs are split 2 Arrer units, 1 Spear and Shield, 2 Choppa, 1 double Choppa. I got hold of one of those old famous regiments (renown regiments?) to use as Arrer Boys.

zak
01-01-2007, 00:18
The only thing you really lack is artillery. I don't use much artillery personally and prefer to use 2 bolt throwers to ward off any large monsters or pick off characters stupid enough to present a target. At 70 points for both there a bargain.
And I second the chariot idea.

corvo
01-01-2007, 00:31
I third the chariot idea, they are great units for supporting charges, thanks to the impact hits. Really helps for those turns when your Orcs decide to use nerf bats.

I would put a rock lobba in there for stripping ranks off your opponants units, assuming you have the special choices free.

Coragus
01-01-2007, 05:19
What's the theme you're trying to stick to? You've got a mix of gobbos and Orcs, and you're using Giants, so what the heck, add about 4 Spear Chukkas. I played O&G for years, and I loved those pieces. The Rock Lobba, not so much.

adreal
01-01-2007, 08:28
He doesn't want war machines, so spear chukka and rock lobbers are out, but boar boys would be fun, and in a big list you'll have room for them. They may seem costly in 2000pts and under, but upwards it shouldn't be a rpoblem. Chariots are always fun, and wolf chariots are cheaper and faster but do the same amount of damage (IIRC)......just some stuff to mull around there in the old noggen

Tutore
01-01-2007, 13:39
Chariots are important and fun to play.

Chicago Slim
01-01-2007, 17:12
The list you've sketched sounds fun. When you say that the average size of your orc units is around 25, and that there are some arrer boyz and some fighty types-- I would recommend arrer boyz in small (10-15) units, and fighters ranked up in very large (25-30) blocks.

You don't *need* cavalry or chariots-- they're fun and all, but you can put your boar-mounted characters into infantry units, and they can still do all the leadership, add the extra punch, and everything else that they do from there.

Biggest thing to watch out for, that might make your army less fun to play, is the leadership on the goblins: they're easy to break, and easy to panic from shooting and magic. You'll want to be a bit careful about how you deploy them, so that they're either near your general (who projects his leadership 12" around him) or far from each other (so that one of them breaking doesn't cause nearby units to break). Otherwise, you're likely to have one hard round of shooting cause 1/3 of your army to evaporate, as the cascading panic turns the battle into a rout.

Remember that orcs don't care if goblins are routing, so you can safely put the goblins up front with the orcs behind them-- just give some space between the gobbos, so they don't scare each other...

dave
02-01-2007, 06:17
Cheers for the feedback. I've decided to go for 3000 points to start and see how that goes. Boar Boyz and Chariots would be nice but I didn't get any in the stuff I swapped and I don't want to spend any more money on GW stuff for a long time. If I can get some by swapping, Chariots and Boars would fit well with my theme.
Thanks!