PDA

View Full Version : 10th Company - Competitive?

Steel_Legion
01-01-2007, 13:42
Stirling Wargamers is going to be doing a tale of X gamers in february, I was gonig to do Iron Warriors, but i really want to do 10th Company, the question is, is it competitive? I plan on having about 50-60scouts (10man squads) with a nice variety of weapons, scout bikes (3-6) and a speeder with scout drivers but closed top, possibly a predator with scout drivers, and a power armoured command squad, as i think this is probably what a pure 10th company should be like according to fluff. Would it be effective and not cheesy?

Slaaneshi Slave
01-01-2007, 13:45
I don't think it would be cheesy or effective, to tell you the truth. 13 points for a scout, or 11 points for a SoB who has better armour, better weapons (heavy flamers! :p) and faith... I'm not saying you should take SoB, it was just a comparison. :p

Khadhar'phak
01-01-2007, 13:58
Personally, I think it's a great idea. Scout are a lot more effective then most people give them credit for. The ability to infiltrat is always a nice little bonus, and then there are still weapons aailable to scouts capable of dealing with multiple threats. For example, the heavy bolter is a great little infantry and lightly armoured vehicle killer, and Missile launchers are great multi-task weapons with frag and krak missiles. The idea of 10th company vehicles is also nice (forgeworld do a closed top landspeeder if you're willing to pay up). Tactically, all of the scout squads should be able to support ech other, with some for close combat, and some for extreme range (SNIPERS!). Scout bikes are also great flanking units. If you do decide to do it, then post some pictures ok?

Oh, and yes, SoBs do have nice stuff available to them. As a Catachan player, I know how much fun Heavy Flamers are:D

Steel_Legion
01-01-2007, 14:09
Well i was wanting to do 6 10man scout squads, i like the idea of mixing weapons, but then it doesnt make much sence, i would like 2 squads with CC weapons and veteran with powerfist (terminator honours, whatever they call it..) 2 bolter and heavy bolter squads, and a sniper/missile squad probabaly, how could i effectively mix squads so they are effective? as putting snipers in a squad i want to asault it just silly

Slaaneshi Slave
01-01-2007, 14:14
Scrap the bolter squads, take four CCW squads, and two sniper squads with rocket launchers. CCW squad vets have a combi melta and power fist. Back this all up with some converted scout attack bike squads / land speeder squads. I can't see them using any heavy support choices, since they are an infiltrating army.

marv335
01-01-2007, 14:26
i use 10th company to great success.
however to remain "fluffy" you may have a problem with the predator. the only vehicles the scout company has are bikes.
the company has a captain, a chaplain, and an apothacary.
i tend to field a squadron of LST as "air support" though.
in 1000pts i use this;

Captain
plasma pistol, power weapon, iron halo, terminator honours, frag grenades.

scout squad 1
vet sgt (bolt pistol/power fist) 9x scouts with bp/ccw.

scout squad 2
9x scouts with bolters, 1x scout with heavy bolter.

scout squad 3
9x scouts with sniper rifles, 1x scout with missile launcher.

scout biker squadron
vet sgt (bolt pistol/power weapon) 4x scout bikers.

land speeder tornado squadron
3x land speeder tornado with assault cannon/heavy bolter.

that's 1000pts exactly

at 1500 i add a small veteran squad (instructors) and a command squad (giving them all infiltrate).

it's very effective if you can learn to make the most of cover. most of the army can infiltrate too.
you can be in your opponents face very quickly with this list.

you can have problems with armour with this army but i find it works well for me.

Khadhar'phak
01-01-2007, 14:26
In the end, the tenth company is a battle company technically. It's just usually split amongst the rest of the chapter as required. I would still take the bolter squads as you may need some mid range fire support. Also, try to take some heavy bolters. As I said before, they're great for multi-tasking, and match the range of your snipers.

Angelus Mortis
01-01-2007, 14:32
I think it can be done. I mean, one major advantage is infiltration. And keep in mind, they are still Marines with all the goodies, they just have a 4+ save instead of 3+. You could always play a few games using other models(such as tacticals) to represent the scouts and see if you like it.

you can have problems with armour with this army but i find it works well for me.You can overcome this with Melta Bombs on Sergeants and Scout Bikes as well as combi-meltas on the Sergeants. Should be plenty of Anti-armor IMHO.

Steel_Legion
01-01-2007, 16:44
knocked up a quick list on army builder:
Master with 5man command inc. apothecary (no standard bearer in 10th company correct?) Infiltrating (showing the rookies how to do it)
2 10man scout with bolters and HB
2 10man scout with CC weapons and vet with powerfist
2 10man scout with snipers and rocket launcher
1 5man bike squad and vet with power weapon, all have melta bombs
2 Landspeeders, one with HB one MM,

Whaddya think?

Khadhar'phak
01-01-2007, 16:56
That works well, just remember that each squad will have to support eachother. The fast attack choices should look after the flanks of your army. Also, make sure you make the most out of those heavy weapons and snipers. Good solid list though;)

Steel_Legion
01-01-2007, 17:13
my only concern is tank hunting, i only have 2 rocket launchers, 1 multi melta, few melta bombs and 2 powerfists, which is nothing like my guard where we could deal with any enemy armour with ease, there is alot of anti-infantry weapons which is good, but a lack of powerful weapons is worrying, think it willb e enough, as i plan on using this army is a tournament

Khadhar'phak
01-01-2007, 17:24
You could perhaps replace one of the HB in your squads, since you already have one on a LS. What you should remember is that even though they're scouts, they are still "elite". Many of your shots will hit. You were already at a disadvantage by taking scouts, but you've made a list that can handle a lot of enemies. But you will still always suffer against tank-heavy armies. Hey, you're a guard player right? You should know what infantry are like against tanks. Don't forget that most of the time you will be infiltrating, so you can set up your troops in the most advantaegeous positions AFTER your opponent has deployed. Infiltrating Missile launchers and Heavy bolters. Now THAT is fun!

Steel_Legion
01-01-2007, 17:36
good call, no one likes a missile hitting his tank in the side, with the average being SAV12 it will be easy for my missiles to do some lovely damage, and if need be, call in the powerfists, that will shut them up

Khadhar'phak
01-01-2007, 17:39
You're getting the idea. Just remember to keep supporting each unit i.e: Snipers thin the ranks and pin a unit, which a CCW squad subsequently charges. Scouts really should be played more, and the new plastic models are so cool!

marv335
01-01-2007, 23:30
remember scout bikers can get a 1st turn charge.
they have a 1st turn assault range of 42" in most missions.
deploy 12" in, scout move 12", normal move 12", assault 6".
all of a sudden the big nasty (stationary) tank has a unit with meltabombs crawling all over it :D

Steel_Legion
02-01-2007, 00:05
i like the way you think, but they can sometimes be vulnerable, sure they took out the enemys nasty tank, but they are now in enemy lines unsupported (well not fully supposed by infiltrating scouts) and will get a good ole smashing next turn, as they can't consolidate or anything, still they have done thier job, shame landspeeders cant infiltrate though... :D

Sergeant Tanthius
02-01-2007, 00:09
I love the scouts, they are some of the best choices available in the Marine Codex.

Scout bikers can take on most tanks that arn't Skimmers. A first turn charge can leave a smouldering Russ in a few seconds. Have 3 squads and you have enough antitank for a IGAC. Just be careful that scouts all have Sv 4+, meaning if you explode the tank you might kill your precious bikers.

with skimmers you move as fast as possible and try get back/side armour shots with bolters than assault them if necessary.

Thank you Steel Legion...Now I have to spend more money on another army...:D :mad: :p

Khadhar'phak
02-01-2007, 00:15
The massive assault from the bikers is definitely a nice tactic. As already mentioned, it is really risky. But what's one squad lost when there are lods of other squads that will now survive thanks to the sacrifice?

Frodo34x
02-01-2007, 09:49
i like the way you think, but they can sometimes be vulnerable, sure they took out the enemys nasty tank, but they are now in enemy lines unsupported (well not fully supposed by infiltrating scouts) and will get a good ole smashing next turn, as they can't consolidate or anything, still they have done thier job, shame landspeeders cant infiltrate though... :D
Well, I think the idea of suicide bikers is potentially quite a good one, depending on the cost of the bikes. As long as the tank you are suicide running is worth a fair bit more points than the bikers, you will be getting a fair deal.

Also, armies can, to an extent "rely" on a single tank or two. By knocking out their fancy tank you can hit them with a morale blow, as well as a chunk of VPs.

marv335
02-01-2007, 11:04
well the scouts take the side of the tank furthest from the bulk of the enemy.
when they blow it up they get a cover save from enemy firing.
or my personal favorite, take on a land raider, block all the exits with your bikers, then blow it up.
sure i lost 160pts of bikers in the subsequent shooting phase, but i took out 250pts of tank and 200pts of assault terminators :D bargain

Khadhar'phak
02-01-2007, 11:10
While we're on the subject of suicide tactics, what do you guys think of small scout squads being used as shields? You can't eaxctly "shield" anymore, but they could still fail priority checks. That an even if they do pass, they're still ignoring an elite unit with tooled up sergeant:D

Angelus Mortis
02-01-2007, 16:53
While we're on the subject of suicide tactics, what do you guys think of small scout squads being used as shields? You can't eaxctly "shield" anymore, but they could still fail priority checks. That an even if they do pass, they're still ignoring an elite unit with tooled up sergeant:D
I can tell you your opponent would have to be retarded to ignore a 10 man Scout squad tooled up for CC if he was in assault range. They are still Marines, just Marines with a 4+ Save.

Khadhar'phak
02-01-2007, 18:04
I meant small 5 man squads.

Angelus Mortis
02-01-2007, 18:29
I meant small 5 man squads.I dont think it would be worth it with 5 man squads. They wont last very long to be potential shields. But as I said before, a 10 man Scout squad tooled up for CC isnt a threat you can ingore, and is relatively cheap compared to other Marine units.

Morgrad
02-01-2007, 20:36
Scouts are absolutely brilliant against orks, 'cause in hand-to-hand they are no different than a marine, at all!

That being said, fear the combi-scorcha. Scouts are *massively* vulnerable to heavy-flamers. Fear the heavy flamer.....

Shrike30
02-01-2007, 20:51
The preponderance of high-ROF AP4 weapons would be the major thing I'd watch out for with this list. Heavy bolters, autocannons, Inferno cannons... they hurt scouts a lot.

My personal inclination would be to stick the HBs into the sniper teams. It matches their range, and doesn't involve you having to waste a bunch of sniper rifle shots (at 18 points apiece) to hit something with a rocket. Plus, most of what you would engage with sniper rifles is going to be annoyed by HB fire.

Hobgoblyn
02-01-2007, 21:59
Did you really mean Iron Warrior or did you mean Iron Hands?

A chaos army of Scouts would be interesting, I don't think the Chaos Marine codex even has rules for Chaos Scouts... does it?..
It is logical that the Chaos Marines need to get new recruits to replenish their numbers, so there should be some SM scouts in Chaos...

Angelus Mortis
02-01-2007, 23:12
My personal inclination would be to stick the HBs into the sniper teams. It matches their range, and doesn't involve you having to waste a bunch of sniper rifle shots (at 18 points apiece) to hit something with a rocket. Plus, most of what you would engage with sniper rifles is going to be annoyed by HB fire.While I do agree that the HB/SR combo is very nice, no matter what squad you put the Missile Launcher in its gonna wind up losing shots whether they use Sniper Rifles, Bolters, Shotguns or CCW/BP. So perhaps the best method would be to put Missile Launchers in 5 man Squads. You could prolly save some points and spend them elsewhere then.

Marshal2Crusaders
02-01-2007, 23:29
if u can pull off 10th company more power too ya. its like higher toughness guard with bolters, and no grenade launcher, actually its nothing like guard......