PDA

View Full Version : protectorate planets

nazdreg5
12-07-2005, 18:00
i was reading some fluff on here and heard some stuff about protectorate planets.they are worlds where the imperium finds them and then keaves them alone. i was wondering which worlds and species are protectorates?

Brusilov
12-07-2005, 18:07
In all honest I've never heard of that before. Care to give us a reference or something else we could work on?
A protectorate would imply military protection, control of foreign policy, but leaving the entity more or less to its own device on matters of internal policy (although threats to the protector could warrant intervention). And this kind of situation is what happens to every planet of the Imperium.

And I don't think the Imperium would ever offer any protection to any alien race. If the reference you've seen implies as much, there is a serious problem and we're not talking about the same Imperium (or this is not official fluff).

LostTemplar
12-07-2005, 18:12
There is the reference to the Laer planets becoming a Imperium protectorate. Before fulgrim decides to blow'em up. For good.

Brusilov
12-07-2005, 18:15
Bizarre, I don't think that even during the Great Crusade the Emperor was very keen on putting alien races under the dominion of the Imperium, that seems very odd to me...

Kiro
12-07-2005, 18:16
Templar, you beat me to it! ;)
Yes, if the Imperium was considering making the Laer a protectorate, then perhaps it isn't an entirely unheard of situation within the Imperium.

Brusilov
12-07-2005, 18:17
Maybe it was possible at the time of the Crusade, but I don't think it's the case anymore, not with the official policy of the Imperium towards Xenos...

Kiro
12-07-2005, 18:20
Maybe it was possible at the time of the Crusade, but I don't think it's the case anymore, not with the official policy of the Imperium towards Xenos...

Yes, I was about to edit my post on this regard. I'm thinking since the Emperor's Children wiped them out without anyone complaining I suppose the Imperium took that as the example of what to do.

Brusilov
12-07-2005, 18:21
Not only that, but the Imperium has no a clear anti-Xenos stance, and being beset on all side by hordes of aliens does not help giving them a better imagine, or having military resources to spare to protect filthy aliens (unless they're really useful, but the Imperium never managed to tame the Jokaero so...)

El_Machinae
12-07-2005, 19:18
It might be a euphemism for demanding tribute. If the planet exports valuable minerals and resources, the local governments (or Navy) might decide to forstall the exterminatus.

If they're impoverishing themselves while paying tribute (making future action more easy), AND there's a profit to be made, it makes sense. Of course, because the Imperium is so stagnant, they couldn't predict that the 'protectorate' could develop a reasonable military response (ie., improved tech) that makes paying tribute a valid strategy.

Lord-Warlock
12-07-2005, 19:48
I see making alien systems protectorates as a means of

1. Keeping human cavorters firmly out

2. Collecting tribute from them, Pizzaro-from-Montezuma style, as El_Machinae said, before loosening the Emperor's blessed wrath upon them when they can serve the good of Man no more and their crime of existing is no longer outweighed by their usefulness :p

Brusilov
12-07-2005, 21:59
Protectorate could also mean a more direct Imperial rule over a planet. In Nightbringer, following the events on Pavonis, the planet is placed under the direct rule of the Administratum, this could also very well be a protectorate, while the Imperium puts things back in order and elect an new Imperial Commander.

TenTailedCat
12-07-2005, 22:50
Current Imperial doctirne (based on the Index: Xenos of the Tau from a few years back) is to look at a world, examine the alien life there and then usually earmark it for 'routine cleansing and colonisation', this was the case with the Tau homeworld when the Tau were little more than barbarians with very low, almost stone age technology, the Ad Mech ships sent to cleanse the planet never got there due to a Warp Strom.

Melchor
12-07-2005, 23:04
Well I can imagine the Imperium protecting very primitive human planets unable to protect themselves. They might prove usefull in the future, are still humans and might even worship the Emperor in some form or another.
The planet could be 'preserved' in order to provide resources for the Adeptus Astartes for example.

orangesm
13-07-2005, 01:34
Going farther on Melchor's idea: Protectorate could go beyond just protecting the planet from outside xenos or heretic forces. It could be a means of maintaining a part of humanity isolated from the galaxy at large. Imagine a human world growing on its own, studied by the Ad Mech, Ad Biologis, etc. Now they may be utterly 'morally' frightened by what happens there, but if the planet is prestine, without outside influences, possibly with an Inquistor walking among them to watch for mutation, it could prove extremely useful to an Imperium trying to maintain some amount of purity among its population. The idea of a human galatic spaning empire would just be a dream of these people, the idea that humanity is beset on all sides by xenos and traitors or worse is just nightmares. A protectorate could be protected from more than just war or what not - it could be protected from the galaxy at large and the very institution that they are protected by.

TenTailedCat
13-07-2005, 01:38
Just like our planet.
:skull:

There're quite a few planets in the Imperium that have no idea of the Imperium, I can think of one in Malleus of the Eisnehorn Trilogy, there are certainly thousands more within Imperial space - remember that the Imperium doesn't control all space within its borders, there are vast tracts that the Imperium simply has no access to or cannot be bothered with due to more pressing concerns.

Delicious Soy
13-07-2005, 06:04
Of course by protectorate they might have meant "seed with quarantine markers" ala Macharius.

nazdreg5
13-07-2005, 08:05
i was talking about laer. its a xenos planet the emperor wanted to protect or something and the emperors children said we can take that planet in a month and they did.

TenTailedCat
13-07-2005, 10:57
^That's true, and it was probably the only instance of alien planets being considered for Protectorate staus - the Laer were the most highly advanced and dangerous alien species ever encountered, they outsrtipped the Eldar, Necrons and Tyranids by miles, to say nothing of the Orks, Tau and the rest.

If the Imperium can wipe out an entire race like that then why bother making any other races protected? They'll get what's coming to them soon enough.

Delicious Soy
13-07-2005, 11:29
i was talking about laer. its a xenos planet the emperor wanted to protect or something and the emperors children said we can take that planet in a month and they did.
I know what you're talking about. The Laer were restricted to single star system and it appears that while having a high level of technology (to the point they were individually tailored to their roles in society), they did not have proper space capability. The Imperium could simply have made peace with them and isolated them, the same way that 9,000 years later Macharius would deal with another race that he could not bring to heel.

orangesm
13-07-2005, 18:30
So technically the Imperium may decide that until the Tau some how develop a better method of interstellar travel, the Tau are a protectorate. This tells Imperial Administrators, Generals, and Admirals not to go there, it is 'protected' until such a time as they are a real threat or the resources can be spared to deal with them. Just an idea, not likely to happen as the Tau and Imperial space is bumping against each other, along with shared border with an Ork empire and an invading Hive Fleet!

Brusilov
13-07-2005, 19:39
I don't think the Tau would be considered a Protectorate. If the Imperium can make inroads into Tau space with only minimal forces and take back one or a few planets, they certainly will not hesitate to do so and kill a few Tau in the process. The problem with the Tau has more to do with lack of resources than with the Imperium saying they're not worth the time.
I think the High Lords and the Lord Commander Ultima understands quick well the danger Tau ideological infiltration represents for the Imperium and would like nothing better than have a big fleet and army to crush them once and for all.

orangesm
14-07-2005, 00:47
My last post was merely a theoritcal example using a known xenos group. I fully expect the Imperium to be running counter propaganda operations, patrolling the edges of Imperial space for Tau incursions, maybe even having a team of strategist planning the next Crusade to recover worlds and push the Tau back - the Xenos are a small technological advanced empire, the Imperium has gone after bigger beast - like Ork Empires. It was a poor example.

For the present however the Imperium is more concerned with fighting Hive Fleets Kraken and Levithan, cleansing what remains of Behemoth, dealing with ever growing Ork empires, and ensuring that the ever dangerous traitors do not gain a stronghold on the Eastern Fringe, the Imperium will be entering the middle of M42 before turning again to these upstarts.